Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: dissapointed overall

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: dissapointed overall Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: dissapointed overall - 27/5/2011 12:54:49 PM   
juanvasquez

Just been demoted to arson and this game has become a whole lot better! Loving this arc in the game. The investigation seems to unfold a lot better and is much more interesting than what has come before. I couldn't put it down.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 151
RE: dissapointed overall - 27/5/2011 2:21:13 PM   
kata

Just finished disc one and so far I'm loving it.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 152
RE: dissapointed overall - 27/5/2011 8:20:34 PM   
juanvasquez

Finished! What a super last couple of hours to the game. As the case picked up so did the drama. Shame the rest of it was so inconsistent. I'll still be trading this tomorrow, but for those getting bored, I suggest you stick with it.

Also, the facial mo-cap thing, just superb. I hope to see it making more of an appearance in future.

< Message edited by juanvasquez -- 27/5/2011 8:33:19 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 153
RE: dissapointed overall - 28/5/2011 10:27:57 AM   
CORLEONE

I'm liking it. But I do love 40s style detective shiznit. And I wanted to be a detective when I was a babby

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 154
RE: dissapointed overall - 28/5/2011 11:34:07 AM   
RobotDevil

Overall I thought it was great but flawed.

The good stuff was the setting, artistic design including appearance, soundtrack etc. Good stories although the homicide ones were a little too similar. Arson got better as it went along. I'd love to see a sequel with the main character as a private detective. The standout feature is the amazing motionscan work on the faces and the acting.

The flaws - driving is not well done, the city is wasted, you don't really have that much of an impact on events as in Heavy Rain since you just keep redoing interrogations until you pass. The clue finding system is also a little rubbish since you can just circle around until the controller vibrates.

Looking at the points I've made - I disliked the gameplay but loved the story and game design. Pretty much the same as most detective-type games I've played.

Post #: 155
RE: dissapointed overall - 31/5/2011 10:46:43 PM   
the anomaly

Shame about the gameplay eh?

I've enjoyed it but honestly especially if you are searching a house 'detective work' amounts to walking around tapping A. Call me old fashioned but going into a point and click first person style would have worked much better. As you would just select the item you think you need. Where as now you walk up to  table with about 10 items on it and tap A and you get a choice of the two you can interact with. Turning the musical chimes and rumble off seems pointless to me too as it would just be the same as above ... but you just wouldn't know when to stop.

Interrogations also suffers due to its simplicity. Why can't I check my note book for PEOPLE whilst I am asking questions. You can look at clues but you can't check who is who and what questions you asked them etc. Quite annoying when you've flown through a case and then suddenly get a chance to try and break someone.
Then you have the choice of truth, doubt or lie. Yet lie seems to be the best choice as it's the only one you can back out of without penalty. Plus you sometimes get a hint as you character says "I know you were lying because X and I've got Y to prove it" almost giving you a big hint. If you've made a mistake then you can back out of it. Yet if you chose either truth or doubt your locked in. It's harsh when sometimes there is a fine line between someone telling a white lie so it's either truth or doubt or if someones looking shady and it's either doubt or lie. There should have been a "Press" or "Force" option to rile the person up with some questions. you could use that a limited time each conversation to try and get more out of the person (if you've played Phoenix Wright you'll know what I mean) that way it would be clearer but you wouldn't be able to abuse it either way and you wouldn't be locked into a response. Sad to say on these points an old gameboy advance game edges ahead.

Visually it's a great recreation of LA ... not that I'm any historian ... and  I've not been but it's authentic. The soundtracks is brilliant, voice acting brilliant, and the mo cap acting works welll ... but that was a given. The driving is GTA4 but tighter, combat is somewhere between GTA4 and RDR ... I don't understand why I can't just crouch when I want and it seems unnecessarily cumbersome at times ... the chases I like they really get you going ... though sometimes they feel a bit over used.

Still I'm enjoying it but I hope this foundation get's built on ... in the future. The unique package is keeping me going so far but it's let down by some simple flaws.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 31/5/2011 11:11:27 PM >

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 156
RE: dissapointed overall - 1/6/2011 11:46:26 AM   
talpacino

I'd agree with all of that.

I finished this last night, the overall story was intriguing enough but in the end it was all a bit meh. I would welcome a sequel of a sort but it needs a good deal of tweaking.
I really can't be arsed going through the cases again to get 5 stars, I enjoy the side missions most so I'll get through those and then this is gone.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 157
RE: dissapointed overall - 2/6/2011 9:57:00 PM   
indysgill

I finished it over the weekend and went for the 'cause $47,000 of damage' trophy, after coming within a few hundred a good few times I decided to go all out and ram everything in sight.

Ended up with over $166,000 in damages.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 158
RE: dissapointed overall - 4/6/2011 11:57:30 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

got to disc 3 last week but haven't played it since then. I usually seem to lose interest about two thirds of the way through most games

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 159
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 10:43:28 AM   
the anomaly

Ending the Homicide SPOILERS

Ermmm found it a let down ... such a build up with all the cases being linked to it. But there was no closure. How does this one man mastermind all the previous murders AND frame other people who in some cases look extremely guilty? You get nothing no more information and then kicked to another job.

I kept restarting the ending as I was hoping there was a way to take him alive at the end. I was looking forward to linking the other cases together and finally charging him.
I checked on some other forum and discovered you couldn't and an argument about the killer. Honestly when he turned up I barely remembered him. Apparently one of the posters knew it was him ... don't get me wrong if you look back there are clues as to who it could be but I just watched the first (only?) meeting with him and whilst he is a bit strange I wouldn't jump right to the conclusion that it's him. Still it was just unsatisfying. All the previous cases now mean nothing and there was no resolution.

SPOILERS END

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 5/6/2011 10:46:42 AM >

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 160
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 10:43:53 AM   
the anomaly

Finding cases frustrating at times too. When it wants to be the cases are so linear. I completed one the other day was pretty much pushed where to go next each time. Then I was told at the end of the mission that I didn't check the cab place or something. But that option disappeared randomly at some point during the case. Even when I replayed I was not able to use any phones to call in the cab etc. I just think you should be able to tie up any loose ends of a case. As some push you in one direction and then just end when you've not used half of your evidence and there are left over places to visit.

One step forward ... two steps back with this  game ... 

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 5/6/2011 10:44:41 AM >

Post #: 161
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 11:03:52 AM   
LB Jeffries

Only need to find 6 cars to Platinum but having a bit of trouble. I've used guides but the ones I want never seem to spawn where I'm told they will. Frustrating!

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

Post #: 162
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 12:23:04 PM   
juanvasquez

Anomaly, DK, stick with it. I was feeling the same, but the last few cases/couple of hours really make the game I reckon. It felt like a change from what came before and the story got loads better.

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 163
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 5:30:06 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

Only need to find 6 cars to Platinum but having a bit of trouble. I've used guides but the ones I want never seem to spawn where I'm told they will. Frustrating!

Which ones?
I got the trophy for getting all 95 cars a few days back and might be able to help.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 164
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 7:03:34 PM   
LB Jeffries

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

quote:

Which ones?
I got the trophy for getting all 95 cars a few days back and might be able to help.

2-DOOR
Chevrolet Styleline
Buick Custom
Ford V8 Sedan

4-DOOR
Lincoln Zephyr Touring
Willys Overland

SPORTS
Mercury Custom

Any help would be appreciated as I just can't be bothered cruising around aimlessly looking for them.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 165
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 8:53:33 PM   
LB Jeffries

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

quote:

Which ones?

2-DOOR
Chevrolet Styleline
Buick Custom
Ford V8 Sedan

4-DOOR
Lincoln Zephyr Touring
Willys Overland

SPORTS
Mercury Custom

Any help would be appreciated as I just can't be bothered cruising around aimlessly looking for them.

Got everything but the Mercury Custom now thanks to this little gem of a cheat:

First, from the menu enter Extras-> Vehicle Showdown and locate the missing car you want to find. Then press X.
After that go to Cases-> Homicide-> Free Roam
The desired car will either drive past you at the intersection (from the left or right, and usually in multiple numbers) or be on the parking lot across the street.

Seems to work most of the time, of course you need to know what the car looks like and what number it is in the showroom, so this little guide helps as well:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/la-noire/108551-la-noire-vehicle-locations-guide-help-thread-w-pictures.html

Post #: 166
RE: dissapointed overall - 5/6/2011 9:03:45 PM   
LB Jeffries

Got it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 167
RE: dissapointed overall - 7/6/2011 11:04:13 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Anomaly, DK, stick with it. I was feeling the same, but the last few cases/couple of hours really make the game I reckon. It felt like a change from what came before and the story got loads better.

I'm sticking with it. As it requires little effort to play and I am enjoying the 'experience'.

Vice has been more interesting as the clues are more interactive etc. Nice.

Post #: 168
RE: dissapointed overall - 8/6/2011 9:07:14 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Got to agree with Juan on this one - I have just finished it and before I started the final disc I was getting a bit bored by it all, but I am glad that I persevered with it because I really did the enjoy the last few hours/cases of the game. Going to get a few final acheievements out of it and then it will be going into trade....

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 169
RE: dissapointed overall - 8/6/2011 10:30:44 PM   
LB Jeffries

I think it sagged a bit during Homicide as it had the most cases and they were all identical. It definately picked up once it moved to Vice and then Arson.
I was ultimately a little let down by it, though and traded it as soon as it was platinumed.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 170
RE: dissapointed overall - 9/6/2011 3:44:00 PM   
talpacino

Polished off the last of the achievements for the 1000G yesterday. That was rather tedious replaying the cases and not being able to skip most cutscenes. Yes we know the mo-cap is fantastic, we should still have the option to skip.
Collectibles need to be done away with in Rockstar games, 100 packages, 200 pigeons, I thought 50 film reels wouldn't be too bad. I found 1 during my playthrough. It took me hours yesterday with a guide and some of the locations are ridiculous. I can't see how anybody could have found them without a guide.

I'm not bothered about any DLC for this so it's going straight in to trade at the weekend, possibly for Duke Nukem.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 171
RE: dissapointed overall - 9/6/2011 4:16:21 PM   
sroey

I am really struggling to stay interested in this game. The facial mo-cap is excellent but the game dynamics are seriously limited.

It is boring me and I am trying hard to like it. Sod the achievements, I'm going to finish it and trade it.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 172
RE: dissapointed overall - 9/6/2011 11:22:04 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

I am really struggling to stay interested in this game. The facial mo-cap is excellent but the game dynamics are seriously limited.

It is boring me and I am trying hard to like it. Sod the achievements, I'm going to finish it and trade it.

Hell yeah.

Drive every car?

Fuck off.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 173
RE: dissapointed overall - 11/6/2011 5:59:54 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

Hell yeah.

Drive every car?

Fuck off.

Just traded mine in at Blockbuster's for £30 instore credit. I got all the cars and did all the side missions, but I cannot be arsed to go through the entire game again to try and get 5 stars - and dont even get my started on the film reels.....22 hrs playing the game and I haven't even seen one let alone collected the bastard! Enjoyed it (in the end) but not enough to play again or keep.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 174
RE: dissapointed overall - 15/6/2011 5:01:07 PM   
Olaf

finished yesterday - loved it personally. some of its flaws were pretty obvious (the amazing facial motion capture is let down a bit by the simplistic questioning system) so I wouldn't put it ahead of Portal 2 for game of the year so far, but I was able to overlook most of its problems due to how engrossing the story and setting were. I notice a lot of complaints about there not being a lot to do, but I actually found it refreshing that a developer would use an open world design in service of the story instead of the other way round. The film reels/cars achievements are bastards though.

(Also, an amazing feature that I sadly only came across after finishing it: being able to set the display to black and white. still have to do some of the cases again though, so ehh.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 175
RE: dissapointed overall - 16/6/2011 10:27:34 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

quote:

quote:

Hell yeah.

Drive every car?

Fuck off.

Just traded mine in at Blockbuster's for £30 instore credit. I got all the cars and did all the side missions, but I cannot be arsed to go through the entire game again to try and get 5 stars - and dont even get my started on the film reels.....22 hrs playing the game and I haven't even seen one let alone collected the bastard! Enjoyed it (in the end) but not enough to play again or keep.

I had to use a guide for the gold reels, some are stupidly hidden. Others are on doorsteps or park benches!
Also missed the Black and White option in settings   Will use it for the next lot of DLC cases.

Post #: 176
RE: dissapointed overall - 6/7/2011 11:38:50 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Gah this game is seriously pissing me off. I'm on my 2nd arson case and so far I've 5 starred all but 3 of the missions. All 3 were knocked down to 4 star due to traffic damage. Is it really my fault if during a chase scene cars career in front of me giving me absolutely no chance to react?

It's annoying because the 3 missions are pretty lengthy ones and I really don't want to have to sit through those cut scenes again.

Reckon I'll just plough through the story it and trade it in this weekend. There's no fucking way I'm going around and entering every car I see and up to now I've not come across a single movie reel.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 177
RE: dissapointed overall - 11/7/2011 11:32:35 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

There's no fucking way I'm going around and entering every car I see and up to now I've not come across a single movie reel.

Here here!

You know what?

I don't care. I just don't care anymore. I'm at arson and ... I don't care. Honestly the pacing of the story like RDR is off. I'm sure it will get better ...but I just don't care. One day I'll go back to it and finish probably ... but for now ... yeah you got it.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 178
RE: dissapointed overall - 12/7/2011 1:27:52 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

There's no fucking way I'm going around and entering every car I see and up to now I've not come across a single movie reel.

Here here!

You know what?

I don't care. I just don't care anymore. I'm at arson and ... I don't care. Honestly the pacing of the story like RDR is off. I'm sure it will get better ...but I just don't care. One day I'll go back to it and finish probably ... but for now ... yeah you got it.

Arson's probably the best section of the game. It's just a shame that it drags so much getting there.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 179
RE: dissapointed overall - 12/7/2011 5:33:38 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

still havent made it to arson, feels like its taking an age

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: dissapointed overall Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI