Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 20/4/2007 10:38:39 PM   
King_Wah

I thought it was very tired. Nothing of the bits I saw made me laugh.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 31
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 20/4/2007 10:50:14 PM   
indysgill

Im enjoying this, particularly Nelson Mandela and the U2 sketches.

The rest isnt too bad.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 32
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 21/4/2007 12:37:46 PM   
Peter Dragon

Saw it last night and I have to say it reeks of Paul slumming it to give his old buddy a helping hand to be honest.
Quite embarrasing in parts.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 33
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 21/4/2007 2:45:05 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Dragon

Saw it last night and I have to say it reeks of Paul slumming it to give his old buddy a helping hand to be honest.

Really do agree. Paul has most of the few laughs (his Jose is absolutely brilliant) whilst the rest is actually quite painful.

I actually tried watching it last night, thinking that if these weren't people I used to laugh at whether I'd have bothered staying with it. I wouldn't have and I really want this show to be funny.

WARNING: I may google your name because I'm a bit nosey.

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 34
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 21/4/2007 3:52:47 PM   
badassmofo

quote:

ORIGINAL: PatBateman

quote:

Really do agree. Paul has most of the few laughs (his Jose is absolutely brilliant) whilst the rest is actually quite painful.

I actually tried watching it last night, thinking that if these weren't people I used to laugh at whether I'd have bothered staying with it. I wouldn't have and I really want this show to be funny.

Really do agree, Paul Whitehouse's choclatier was one of the most pleasingly surreal skecthes I think I have ever seen on BBC1

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 35
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 21/4/2007 5:32:27 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: badassmofo

quote:

quote:

Really do agree, Paul Whitehouse's choclatier was one of the most pleasingly surreal skecthes I think I have ever seen on BBC1

That one was closest to the old Fast Show style sketches. The U2 one is perhaps the worst sketch I've seen in a while and for some reason Enfield seems close to cracking up the whole time.

(in reply to badassmofo)
Post #: 36
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 21/4/2007 7:39:22 PM   
emogeek

Chocolatier and Jose Arrogantio aside, another dissapointing half hour.  (and the Jose stuff would be better without the Didier clips, as I fully expect the real Jose to use the phrase "the referee, he is a tit" sometime soon)

As for the U2 stuff - do they think noone recalls Slade on Vic and Bob? (even down to replacing cup a soup with beans on toast)

And WTF is the coffee shop stuff meant to be about?  Have I missed the point?  (I'd be happy for someone to explain it to me, but its gone right over my head)

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 37
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 22/4/2007 1:53:49 AM   
Henry JW

I don't understand the coffee shop thing either, doesn't really work for me. The Chocolatier, on the other hand, had me in stithces. Like last week it was so-so, but I'll watch again next week because they'll be nothing else on.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 38
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 22/4/2007 11:40:14 AM   
PatBateman

Thank God it isn't just me that doesn't get the coffee shop sketch.

(in reply to Henry JW)
Post #: 39
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 22/4/2007 12:18:37 PM   
Biggus

I alway thought the main difference between Harry and Paul is their ability as an actor. In my opinion, in order to be a truly great comedy performer, you have to be a good actor. Harry Enfield writes great characters but sometime he can't quite pull it off because he's a poor actor. Paul Whitehouse on the other hand is a great actor and therefore his characters are much more rounded and convincing and therefore funnier. I agree with the previous posters that The Chocolatier and Jose Arrogantio are the best characters.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 40
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 12:31:16 AM   
Indio

I've got to admit, I enjoyed the first two episodes but tonights was pretty poor, apart from Nelson Mandela's absinthe and Crackabis ads it didn't have much to recommend it, the Barbican man didn't work the first time let alone the seventh or eighth time he was on screen and I didn't want to keep seeing the boxer either, although it was good to see Simon Day on screen with Paul Whitehouse again.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 41
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 9:10:22 AM   
Kami89

Finally caught this last night and I was pretty dissapointed with it, Little Britain esque in the sense that they repeat the same four jokes over and over again until they just aren't funny anymore.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 42
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 1:53:25 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

I alway thought the main difference between Harry and Paul is their ability as an actor. In my opinion, in order to be a truly great comedy performer, you have to be a good actor. Harry Enfield writes great characters but sometime he can't quite pull it off because he's a poor actor. Paul Whitehouse on the other hand is a great actor and therefore his characters are much more rounded and convincing and therefore funnier.

Agree with this; Harry Enfield is a very observant comedian and writer, but apart from some of his earlier characters - Tim nice but dim - he hasn't really the acting capacity to make them instantly funny; his best character in this series is the "I saw you coming" guy. Paul Whitehouse, however is a brilliant comedic actor, and his range of accents as well as mannerisms are played to perfection - the Chocolatier is genius!

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 43
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 2:56:53 PM   
Newander

I saw this last night and I laughed, out loud no less. I guess it's growing on me now, as i didn't find the first two that funny.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 44
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 3:23:38 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek
Jose stuff would be better without the Didier clips, as I fully expect the real Jose to use the phrase "the referee, he is a tit" sometime soon)

I'm still waiting for Jose to say 'The referee will sick up his guts'!

The Chocolatier was really seedy and a great character. I wanted Paul Whitehouse to resurect the quitely spoken Irish Poet character he did for a Fast Show special! It was hilarious! I think Harry Enfield seems to have a Viz magazine on his desk when he creates his characters.

Best thing about the show so far were the Chocolatier, Jose, Nelson Mandela (great impression!) and the fist show's sketch with the posh couple with a Pet Geordie!
'Ooooobeedoobeedoobee Ooooobeedoobeedoobee, whup man, whup man, nick nak nooooo"

Other than that there are some fairly rubbish sketches. Although I like the Guy Ritchie impression.

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 28/4/2007 3:27:51 PM >

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 45
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 3:38:10 PM   
svgbdgr

I used to love Enfield's earlier programmes, but I thought this was painful and embarrassing to watch. And what the fuck was the Barbican thing about? It wasn't funny, and they wheeled it out 6 or 7 times. Won't be bothering with this one again.

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 46
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 5:31:26 PM   
AgentGoth

I love this shos so much. It's actually the only thing I watch on TV now these days.

Nelson Mandela and the South African gym guy are genius. The accents are absolutely spot on and they crack me up everytime.

Jose, the builders and the boxer last night were fantastic.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 47
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 6:42:04 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: AgentGoth

I love this shos so much. It's actually the only thing I watch on TV now these days.

Nelson Mandela and the South African gym guy are genius. The accents are absolutely spot on and they crack me up everytime.

Jose, the builders and the boxer last night were fantastic.

Are you serious? There are one or two funny sketches per show, but the rest are just painful and embarrassing considering their past work.

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 48
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 7:12:04 PM   
Mr E

Thought last nights episode wasn't quite as good as the the first two but it was still quite funny. Some people seem to really dislike it, I'm not sure why I think there's plenty to laugh at! These are all the sketches I find funny so far:

Posh family with pet Geordie
Intellectual scaffolders
'I saw you coming' salesman
Nelson Mandela
American tourists from Badiddlyboing
The chocolatier
The two surgeons
The foreign coffee shop girls
Brokeback Mountain

The rest of the sketches are either ok or not funny, but that's usual with most sketch shows.

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 49
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 7:21:32 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

Thought last nights episode wasn't quite as good as the the first two but it was still quite funny. Some people seem to really dislike it, I'm not sure why I think there's plenty to laugh at! These are all the sketches I find funny so far:

Intellectual scaffolders
Nelson Mandela
The chocolatier
The two surgeons
Brokeback Mountain

The rest of the sketches are either ok or not funny, but that's usual with most sketch shows.

The ones in bold are the ones that are funny. Add Jose Arrogantio and some of the Roman stuff and that is it. I don't care how subjective humour is, the rest of it isn't funny.

I grew up watching Enfield and Whitehouse and The Fast Show is probably the greatest sketch show of the last 20 years. Enfield's stuff in the 80s and 90s also contains some truly excellent characters.

This though, on the whole, is shit. I've watched all the episodes because these guys have earnt a huge amount of goodwill, but it just isn't funny. I actually feel like Whitehouse is slumming it to help a mate out because he gets most of the laughs.

Enfield's observational stuff is just very wide of the mark. The 'pet Geordie' stuff just doesn't work because of the way Enfield plays it, whilst the 'I Saw You Coming' stuff does, so he is still capable of getting it right.

Some of the sketches are just plain embarrassing though and it's sad more than anything.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 50
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 28/4/2007 10:54:02 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

Intellectual scaffolders
Nelson Mandela
The chocolatier
The two surgeons
Brokeback Mountain

The ones in bold are the ones that are funny. Add Jose Arrogantio and some of the Roman stuff and that is it. I don't care how subjective humour is, the rest of it isn't funny.

I grew up watching Enfield and Whitehouse and The Fast Show is probably the greatest sketch show of the last 20 years. Enfield's stuff in the 80s and 90s also contains some truly excellent characters.

This though, on the whole, is shit. I've watched all the episodes because these guys have earnt a huge amount of goodwill, but it just isn't funny. I actually feel like Whitehouse is slumming it to help a mate out because he gets most of the laughs.

Enfield's observational stuff is just very wide of the mark. The 'pet Geordie' stuff just doesn't work because of the way Enfield plays it, whilst the 'I Saw You Coming' stuff does, so he is still capable of getting it right.

Some of the sketches are just plain embarrassing though and it's sad more than anything.

Such vitriol! It's only harmless entertainment, sure some of the sketches aren't brilliant but I think describing them as sad is a touch harsh.

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 51
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 29/4/2007 8:46:15 PM   
Dready

I missed Fridays episode, but for the 2 I have seen I cant disagree with the majority of comments here. There are some good sketches which do raise the odd laugh, the Mourinho sketch, the Mandela character,Friendly Americans, South African guy in the gym, but its not a patch on the original Harry Enfield, which to my disgust is still NOT available on DVD!

Killer Boots man!!

What's up Harry, some philly break your heart?

Nah, it was a girl!

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 52
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 2/5/2007 4:15:42 PM   
skeletonjack

This series has really grown on me, though I think most sketch shows are very hit and miss for the first few episodes until you get used to characters and catch phrases: it was the same with Fast Show and Little Britain.
Admittedly its not as funny as Harry Enfields Television Program or H. E and Chums but its certainly entertaining, The Posh Scaffolders for me coming closest to Enfields earlier characters.

(in reply to Dready)
Post #: 53
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 18/5/2007 11:18:32 PM   
Indio

Well I thought the previous two weeks episodes were pretty poor, and while tonights wasn't exactly comedy gold it was a lot better. In particular Nelson Mandela's Smack 'N' Crack and the long awaited return of the Scousers 'they do Dante though, don't they though?'

Not sure if a second series warrants being made though, there was far too much repetition of characters that didn't deserve one sketch, let alone appearing again (i.e. the fat schoolkids, the wife obsessed with cleanliness and the Leccy Spongers and the two foreigners watching TV).

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 54
Harry & Paul - 5/9/2008 3:45:12 PM   
Mason Verger

Harry and Paul
Friday 05 September
9:00pm - 9:30pm
BBC1

Enfield and Whitehouse return with another loose collection of sketches, although be thankful that it's not as loose as their profoundly dodgy last series. All their familiar obsessions are present: football managers (there's a very funny opening skit where an irate boss gives a half-time team talk in several different languages), class divides, stiff black-and-white films, and middle-aged men trying to have sex with gullible young women. It has the age-old problem of sketches that don't build on their initial premise - see the 1940s Bourne Identity ("Oh hell's bells, who the devil am I?"), a funny idea that drifts on for about a week - and lot of the material is, in truth, a bit too familiar. But if, for instance, the elderly DJs who play nothing but hip-hop are one variation too many on an old gag, it doesn't matter when it's as well performed as this is. The gabbling, Plasticine-faced surgeons, and the rabid northern man who lets out a pained squeak when told by his southern owner that he must be neutered, are rewind-and-play-it-again fantastic.

RT reviewer - Jack SealeVIDEO Plus+: 9501
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 55
RE: Harry & Paul - 6/9/2008 12:06:57 AM   
indysgill

Just watched this on iplayer.

I thought it was better than the last series. Especially liked

• The Choclatier
  • Nelson & Castro
  • 'I Saw You Coming' shop
  • Dragons Den.
Will see if it improves next week.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 56
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 6/9/2008 3:08:16 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: AgentGoth

more hit than miss but theses 2 sketches really cracked me up!!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 57
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 6/9/2008 5:03:58 PM   
jediwarrior

"oh love show us your burger"    classic

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 58
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 7/9/2008 11:49:23 PM   
KnightofZyryab

The opening football manager sketch was absolutely genius ! Whitehouse switching from language to language ... 

Oh and the Dragon's Den skit - Theo Profiterole ! 

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 59
RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! - 8/9/2008 12:19:31 PM   
wombathog

"Excuse me.  I'm an Americourn..."

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Ruddy hell! It's Harry and Paul! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI