Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Curse Of The Golden Flower

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Curse Of The Golden Flower Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Curse Of The Golden Flower - 12/4/2007 5:01:12 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
pretty but boring - 15/4/2007 1:13:35 AM   
dabm

I was really excited about this film. I enjoyed Hero, but thought it was maybe a bit over the top in the visuals. House of Flying Daggers was brilliant, I loved it. Fantastic visuals, no over the top stuff like in Hero, good solid cast. With this, with Chow Yun Fat and Gong Li, I thought it would be the best bits of Hero - in its epic sense - and the brilliant up close action. For the most part, I found it to be really boring. WIth the exception of the ninja's gliding down to attack a village, and the end sequences, it was pretty dull.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Amazing action and cinematography - 16/4/2007 4:11:15 PM   
cerberous

...but the rest was so drawn out. The fights were well cool (ninjas are awesome) but the rest of the film just lacked energy and had such a depressing ending. :s

Post #: 3
- 16/4/2007 9:30:07 PM   
lynnshep

Visually stunning, but not as great as it hoped to be. I was a little disappointed in fact. I thought it would be like Hero. It tried to be but did not live up to that movie. Great work by the actors, cinematography is amazing, costumes and set design stunning; but the film curiously has little life nor characters that appeal or interest. Nice twist ending though, but plays largely like a retread of other, better movies.

Post #: 4
RE: - 19/4/2007 1:46:21 PM   
Timon

The most visually spectacular episode of Family Affairs I have ever seen.

Chow Yun-Fat was great as usual as 'The King of Bling' to decides to 'mentally incapacitate' his wife after he discovers she's been having it away with his son. The son however, unbeknownst to most, is having it away with his half sister. Meanwhile his step brothers are trying to curry favour with both parents in establishing their futures.

It's an beautiful film but as many have said, the story doesn't grab you as it should. There's none of the passion that was present in Hero and Flying Daggers and when the cast weren't leap around with swords - the film slowed down.

Having said that, it was a worthy final to Yimou's wushu trilogy and is so far Gong Li's best performance as the Empress fighting for dignity as well as her mental faculties.

The final battle has to been seen to be believed although it did have me wondering where the Emperor had his army (and their wall) stashed. Also how long did Chan take to get back to the palace?! She left 5 mins after the Crown Prince (if that) but in between the two getting back, he had confronted his stepmother, stabbed himself and been tended to my doctors and placed in a stable condition...whilst dressing for the festival!

This will stand as Yimou's Golden epic but it won't be his crowning achievement.

3.5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 5
- 19/4/2007 4:31:59 PM   
Eomer_King

Held up next to the likes of Hero and House of Flying Daggers, Zhang Yimou's latest tale of deceit and intrigue in the majesty of Imperial China is a cold and, at times, dull one. The sparse promise of stylish sword-play and exciting, breathless action is overwhelmed by the sheer intensity of every facet of the film. From the outrageously over the top visuals to the smouldering facial expressions and brooding, incestuous sub-plots, the audience is never once allowed to settle nor fully helped to understand just what the hell is going on.

While the acting, direction and utterly beautiful photography cannot be faulted - indeed this is as accomplished a piece of cinema as you are ever likely to see - the experience is so draining, so unsettling verging on bizarre, that the frequent positives of an ambitious work are all too often lost in the haze.

Post #: 6
- 20/4/2007 8:58:21 PM   
moviemaniac2

this is a grand, opulent spectacle The screen filledwith lavish compositions positively dripping with decadent extravagance and ornate detail, and stunning aerial assaults that sees ninja commandos swooping down from the heavens

Post #: 7
Not The Strongest Nor The Weakest - 21/6/2007 5:28:10 PM   
Filmfreak666

Curse Of The Golden Flower was spectacularly lavish but was empty throughout. Yimou's Daggers was exceptionally the best of his Wushu Trilogy but Hero, although visually stunning, was a complete mess plot wise and the acting was bland. So Curse Of The Golden Flower is in the middle. The acting was superb, especially Gong Li & Chow Yun Fat as the Emperor & Empress. The plot was really well done and a lot more accomplished than Hero but the action scenes are limited and kept until the very end. The action scenes are yet again exceptionally jaw-dropping (keep an eye out for the battle at the end) but they are all left until the ending when they should have been spread-out through out the running time.This film is so lavish with the over the top costumes and set designs throwing rainbows at us from every angle. Unfortunately, this is Yimou's last in his Wushu trilogy but Curse Of The Golden Flower is a magnificent, lavish, colourful epic that will live on in my memory for years

Post #: 8
bit harsh? - 20/11/2007 11:58:46 PM   
davey_wan

I thought this was excellent - certainly the equal of Hero and Flying Daggers.
Fighting, beautiful costumes, even more beautiful women... what more could you ask for?

Post #: 9
- 26/3/2008 3:59:05 PM   
dgribble

I would have given four stars, as yes the colour in the movie makes it a glazing specticle to veiw on HD, and the acting is superb, I think Gong Li's performance was overated, but not bad, and Chow Yun Fat is as reliable as ever, oozing cool and mysteriousnes out of himself in every scene, and the fight scene at the end is breathtaking stuff, however through most of the movie the audeince is confined to the inner walls of the palace, and at times the film struggles to keep its excitement, and for me the main downfall for this was the subtitles, the were being showed so fast you didn't have time to read them, and you would have to ocationaly have to rewind it, this was also distracting from what was happening on-screen, but despite these short-comings the movie is still enjoyable, a must see for fans of Hero and House of Flying daggers.

Post #: 10
- 26/3/2008 3:59:05 PM   
dgribble

I would have given four stars, as yes the colour in the movie makes it a glazing specticle to veiw on HD, and the acting is superb, I think Gong Li's performance was overated, but not bad, and Chow Yun Fat is as reliable as ever, oozing cool and mysteriousnes out of himself in every scene, and the fight scene at the end is breathtaking stuff, however through most of the movie the audeince is confined to the inner walls of the palace, and at times the film struggles to keep its excitement, and for me the main downfall for this was the subtitles, the were being showed so fast you didn't have time to read them, and you would have to ocationaly have to rewind it, this was also distracting from what was happening on-screen, but despite these short-comings the movie is still enjoyable, a must see for fans of Hero and House of Flying daggers.

Post #: 11
RE: - 31/3/2008 12:22:33 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

*** SPOILERS ***

I thought this film was fantastic! Yeah it was a bit melodramatic but I loved the strange plot, the revelations and especially Gong Li's acting who made it all believable.

As for the look of it - has there ever been a more colourful movie? The over the top ridiculous opulence of the whole thing made me laugh at times, but bloody hell talk about eye candy - and where else are you going to see hundreds of golden clad warriors steaming bravely into battle?

Better than the dull Hero but behind Crouching Tiger and my favourite House of The Flying Daggers this is a worthy addition to the group

(in reply to dgribble)
Post #: 12
UNDERRATED - 11/4/2008 10:46:55 PM   
bobbyperu

ok it maybe the weakest of the 3 but not by a lot.

Post #: 13
- 8/9/2008 10:19:02 PM   
Willetts

More action sequences and this could have been the greatest of the three films.

Post #: 14
- 15/12/2009 9:02:33 AM   
ivanahump

if you see it as a tragedy and not as a martial arts film, this is a very good film, ok not the visual feast that was Hero or the tangled love story that was house of flying daggers. But still the film is dripping with dark secrets and bold decedence. The ending was very effective too

Post #: 15
- 15/12/2009 9:02:35 AM   
ivanahump

if you see it as a tragedy and not as a martial arts film, this is a very good film, ok not the visual feast that was Hero or the tangled love story that was house of flying daggers. But still the film is dripping with dark secrets and bold decedence. The ending was very effective too

Post #: 16
Could have been better... - 13/9/2011 8:03:33 PM   
trainedasninja

Often its melodrama causes this to be a laughably daft, Curse of the Golden Flower provides strange entertainment as Zhang Yimou ditches artistic simplicity for an attempt at a complex plot. Those expecting nice fight scenes will be disapointed as they are few and far between yet some commendable acting from Yun-Fat and Li Gong and some glossy and expensive sets make this fairly watchable.

Post #: 17
Curse of the Golden Flower Review - 22/3/2012 9:54:11 PM   
the film man

Melodrama, swordplay, and CG armies, fans of martial arts epic will get what they bargain for, though the baroque art direction can be both mesmerizing and exhaustively excessive.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Curse Of The Golden Flower Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI