Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Shield - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Shield - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Shield - US Speed - 4/4/2007 8:32:34 PM   
mfj fratelli

No one rests in peace

What are your thoughts on the Season Six opener of The Shield? For me, the most interesting part of this episode was the character development of Shane and Kavanaugh. Shane's genuine sorrow over Lem's death and Kavanaugh's personal mission to nail Mackey for Lem's murder seems to foreshadow the direction the season is taking. It fascinated me how an IAD officer, dedicated to taking down dirty cops, could plant evidence and manipulate an informant into lying; just to take Mackey down. I wonder if Kavanaugh really believes that Vic did it. Does he really care about justice for Lem or is he just angry that he didn't take out the Strike Team?

I also enjoyed Shane's display of insane heroics to ease his guilt-ridden conscience. It will be interesting to see how his character develops this season and well into the next.

And with the discovery of the house full of mutilated corpses, it appears that Dutch will have a new investigation to deal with throughout the season.

Yep, this season looks like it's gonna be a scorcher.

P.S. Another great use of a Johnny Cash cover tune.

< Message edited by mfj fratelli -- 3/9/2008 7:52:15 PM >

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!
Post #: 1
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 7/4/2007 3:01:08 PM   
Clarence Worley

It was great to see the Shield back, easily one of the best shows out there, its gonna be interesting to see how long Vic can protect his back for, what with Kavanagh and forced retirement both looming!!!

And it seems that Shane might be spiralling out of control what with the stunt at the hospital/doctors followed by the closing scene of him and the 'jailbait' girl at the end!! Intense stuff

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 2
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 9/4/2007 10:09:25 AM   
Bickle

I thought it was fantastic. Walton Goggins as Shane was brilliant, as was Michael Chiklis as Vic. The acting all round was very very good, actually. I can't wait for the next episode!

(in reply to Clarence Worley)
Post #: 3
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 9/4/2007 10:16:58 AM   
sharkboy

I agree - an excellent start to the final season.  Kavanaugh has made a fundamental mistake in arousing Dutch's curiosity though.  I'll wager this is what gets Mackey off the hook in the investigation, though it looks like forced retirement is a done deal.

Shane's face when he learned that Lem wasn't giving them up was a picture, and the downward spiral he seems to be on can only end in tragedy.   The question is, how many will he take with him.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 4
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 12/4/2007 1:12:18 AM   
mfj fratelli

I don't know who's gonna spiral outta control quicker - Shane or Vic?

Damn, that stunt he pulled at the Biz-Lat hideout was nuts.

I also thought that Kavanaugh's stoicism in the jail cell was unnerving. He also provided two great quotes that continue to haunt.

[To Vic]  You corrupted everything around you.

I framed a guilty man.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 16/4/2007 4:49:31 PM   
EVILSPEAK

Just watched episode 3. Vic finally gets Guardo and shows his savage side in getting revenge for Lem's killing. Only 3 episodes to go before Vic really finds out who really kill him (i can't wait!). 

Post #: 6
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 19/4/2007 12:19:28 PM   
GandalfTheGrey

So guys, has anyone got an update as to what is happening on the Shield?
Spoilers please.
I have only just bought season 5 and its awesome.
Taken me about 2 days to watch almost the entire thing.
I thought series 4 was good but this just keeps getting better and better.
How does 6 compare to other series?
So far I would say

Season 1 4/5
Season 2 5/5
Season 3 3/5
Season 4 5/5
Season 5 5/5

(in reply to EVILSPEAK)
Post #: 7
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 9/5/2007 10:12:38 PM   
mfj fratelli

The scene that all fans were anticipating finally came and it didn't disappoint. Although, I do have a few thoughts

1. I hope that Vic and Shane don't reconcile, like previous seasons. For me, the whole series has been about the tense relationship between Mackey and Vendrell. I think most fans are demanding some type of showdown.
2. I hope that this whole storyline isn't resolved at the end of the season. If this isn't a part of Season 7's bulk of episodes, I will be furious. Although, Ryan's decision of showcasing this scene in episode 6 of a ten-episode season doesn't bode well.
3. I do think that if poetic justice is to be served, Mackey has to go down some way or another. However, I hope Shane's outcome is much, much worse.
4. Is Dutch going to lose control at some point in the series? Kevin Hiatt is stealing the glances of his ladies. Will that pent-up rage explode into something criminal? No one knows what kind of thought process the guy has. I mean that scene with the cat was insane.
5. Will Aceveda's unflattering act be exposed in the final season?

Incidentally, do you really want a list of spoilers for this season, GandalfTheGrey? I know that this whole thread is a spoiler-factory, but most of the posters here are on the US schedule for the series. Don't you want to wait until it hits the UK airwaves? Or you could do what the other posters are doing - getting the episodes from some other source.

(in reply to GandalfTheGrey)
Post #: 8
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 10/5/2007 10:20:26 PM   
Old Peculiar

I'm up to Episode 9,and its matching season 5's intensity.  I laughed out loud at Vics reaction to the pic he got at the end! 

Post #: 9
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 11/5/2007 12:40:14 PM   
Bickle

I'm on French speed and will have watched the season finale by tonight 

(in reply to Old Peculiar)
Post #: 10
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 11/5/2007 5:20:26 PM   
EVILSPEAK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bickle

I'm on French speed and will have watched the season finale by tonight 

It was on early this morning, just watching it now. It's a 700MB download so it's a 2 hour season finale (since single episodes are usually half that).

Edit* It's only just over an hour long actually. My mistake!

< Message edited by EVILSPEAK -- 11/5/2007 5:32:48 PM >

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 11
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 28/5/2007 11:11:36 PM   
furrybastard

I decided to collect all the season 6 episodes and watch 'em in a block. Really good season, yet again. I was surprised there was no finale showdown between Vic and Shane in the finale, considering how Shane essentialyl kidnapped Vic's family!

Looks like all the strands are coming together. The Armenians now know who stole from them and will be out for blood. Looks like Shane is back in the same situation he was in with Antoine Mitchell in season 4.

I'm surprised not more has been done with Dutch, one of my favourite characters. They seemed to be breaking him down even more this seasno with his crush on Tina but then turned it around. He did strangle a cat, y'know!

Can't wait for the final 13 episodes. Anyone got a starting date for those?

Don't forget to vote for The Shield in the forum's 100 Favourite TV Shows Thread (Click!)

(in reply to EVILSPEAK)
Post #: 12
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 29/5/2007 9:33:42 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

There are 13 more episodes?  Thank christ for that!  For some reason I was convinced that Season 6 was the final season, so when ep 10 ended I was like .  I loved the way the pieces were slowly being moved into place (I bet Vic wishes he had put that bullet in Shane's head when he had the chance!), but the end of Spanish Practices seemed pretty abrupt for the final show.  At least now I can calm down her indoors who has been spitting blood what she saw as a very disappointing ending to the show!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 13
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 29/5/2007 2:34:22 PM   
furrybastard

Heh, yeah it was given another season to tie things up. I think these ten episodes that make up season 6 were originally supposed to be attached to season 5, making it an extra long season (like they are doing with The Sopranos) but the writers asked for more episodes and got 'em! So now there is a season 7 scheduled to air late this year or early 2008. 

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 14
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 29/5/2007 8:27:38 PM   
belowpar

I love The Shield, can't wait for season 7 to see how it all ends. Shame more people don't watch it, apparantly season 6 is struggling to get 2 million viewers stateside, and will probably get tiny ratings when five air it. It's too bad, a lot of people are missing out on some brilliant tv.

I killed the President of Paraguay with a fork, how have you been?

Post #: 15
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 29/5/2007 10:12:19 PM   
Bickle

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I decided to collect all the season 6 episodes and watch 'em in a block. Really good season, yet again. I was surprised there was no finale showdown between Vic and Shane in the finale, considering how Shane essentialyl kidnapped Vic's family!

Looks like all the strands are coming together. The Armenians now know who stole from them and will be out for blood. Looks like Shane is back in the same situation he was in with Antoine Mitchell in season 4.

I'm surprised not more has been done with Dutch, one of my favourite characters. They seemed to be breaking him down even more this seasno with his crush on Tina but then turned it around. He did strangle a cat, y'know!

Don't forget to vote for The Shield in the forum's 100 Favourite TV Shows Thread (Click!)

Sorry to take this off-topic but I noticed in your sig that you've recently watched 'The Killing of a Chinese Bookie'. Is it any good?

I LOVE THE SHIELD.

Post #: 16
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 30/5/2007 2:26:01 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bickle

Sorry to take this off-topic but I noticed in your sig that you've recently watched 'The Killing of a Chinese Bookie'. Is it any good?

I LOVE THE SHIELD.

Yeah it's very good. I watched the longer version from 1976 first and I think I enjoyed it more than the '78 version, though I believe the latter is considered the definitive version. Faces is my favourite Cassavetes' film and one of my all time favourite films so I recommend that to everybody!

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 17
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 1/9/2008 2:44:47 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Quick UIpdate for shield fans out there...

Series 7 starts tomorrow in the US, better get texting those American Aunties

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 18
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 1/9/2008 2:55:00 PM   
Lang

oh my god so many good shows startin again....brilliant!!!!!

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 19
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 1/9/2008 6:55:23 PM   
Clarence Worley

Anyone know if it starts with a double bill? (hopeful i know)

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 20
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 1/9/2008 7:12:00 PM   
Reidy

Really looking forward to this. So many things to get wrapped up, I'm just waiting to see what happens to Shane, he has done so much bad, and is a dislikeable character (fair play to Walton Goggins, he plays Shane brilliantly in making me think that about him), and he has to get his comuppance.

Post #: 21
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 3/9/2008 10:42:25 AM   
UTB

Just working my way through Season 3.

Really didn't need to see Acevada getting face raped.

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 22
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 4/9/2008 9:57:18 AM   
Reidy

Thoughts on episode one people? Nice little start to it, thought that Shane and Vic were already reconcilled, but I like the idea of Vic playing off against Shane, interesting to see how that pans out.

Ronnie seemed quite cold blooded there as well, a new side to him, and I think he is going to turn against Vic at some point to save himself.

Shame Dutch was underused, but it was great to see Billings back, especially if he is going to be back working at the Barn.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 23
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 4/9/2008 7:01:33 PM   
Clarence Worley

Well happy to see this monster of a show back on the tv and as bad ass as ever!! Loved the final scene, where it comes to light that they have essentially created a gang war between the Armenians and the Mexicans!! Classic Strike team action

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 24
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 16/9/2008 1:16:30 PM   
spark1

nice article-with spoilers- at
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20226098,00.html

Post #: 25
RE: The Shield Season Six - US Speed - 16/9/2008 11:07:40 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

nice article-with spoilers- at
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20226098,00.html

That was a good article about the season finale, but whoever wrote it is kind of an idiot. The Shield just as complex as The Wire? Not likely!

And its social commentary is extremely juvenile when compared to The Wire.

Having said all that, The Shield is still a kick-ass television drama; changing the landscape of basic cable forever.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 26
RE: The Shield - US Speed - 19/10/2008 10:53:05 AM   
Old Peculiar

Come on guys wheres the love for season 7?  Watch your back Ronnie after the last ep!  Its going to come down to Vic and Shane and I don't think anyones going to be walking away from that.

Post #: 27
RE: The Shield - US Speed - 19/10/2008 2:34:02 PM   
Bickle

Episode 7 was brilliant. Did anyone catch the big fuck up on the FX website? They put up an episode recap for episode 8 which hasn't aired yet! It might still be on youtube but don't watch it unless you won't episode 8 to be completely spoiled.. What happens is pretty crazy!

Post #: 28
RE: The Shield - US Speed - 19/10/2008 7:46:28 PM   
Reidy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Peculiar

Come on guys wheres the love for season 7?  Watch your back Ronnie after the last ep!  Its going to come down to Vic and Shane and I don't think anyones going to be walking away from that.

Yep, I think Shane sees Ronnie as the one who really has it in for him, so take him out and then have the final Vic v Shane showdown.

Vic won't be happy at another of his men being killed by Shane, and Shane will want to watch his own back. As said, there is a chance neither Vic nor Shane will walk away from it.

In saying that, despite all that he has done, how unexpected would it be to see Shane walk away unscathed?

Post #: 29
RE: The Shield - US Speed - 19/10/2008 8:08:43 PM   
Timon

I hope Ronnie is the only one that walks away unscathed. He's clearly the smartest member of the Strike Team and Vic and Shane have done too much to walk away alive...let alone unscathed.

I think the show will end with both of them dead. I can't see it ending any other way. And Dutch as King of the World.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Shield - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI