Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Raines - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Raines - US Speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Raines - US Speed - 4/4/2007 4:11:11 PM   
Joedini

Has anyone been watching this so far? I've just finished episode 1 and have 2 and 3 to watch this eveing. I like it. Originally sounding like yet another 'Ghost Whisperer' or 'Medium', Raines differs as the lead - Jeff Goldblum only imagines that he is talking to the victim. Episode 1 also has a nice little bit where he hears his 'victim' talking with a different accent due to discovering she is from Texas.

So yeah, liked the pilot. The fact that Frank Darabont directed it, it included the phrase "monkey love" and it had the hot girl who played electric Gwen in 'Angel' also helped
Post #: 1
RE: Raines - US Speed - 4/4/2007 4:31:05 PM   
Mycroft

I'm enjoying it too, but the pilot is the strongest of the 3 episodes so far. I tried to create a thread a few days ago but then the forum threw a fit. It's very much a vehicle for Goldblum the same way Shark is for Woods, the whole show depends on how much you enjoy Goldblum, everything else is a distant second. They got rid of Luis Guzman as Raines' partner which is disappointing, but the characters not been used much anyway. Yet again I wouldn't get too attached though, there's rumours of cancellation

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 2
RE: Raines - US Speed - 4/4/2007 5:00:56 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mycroft

I'm enjoying it too, but the pilot is the strongest of the 3 episodes so far. I tried to create a thread a few days ago but then the forum threw a fit. It's very much a vehicle for Goldblum the same way Shark is for Woods, the whole show depends on how much you enjoy Goldblum, everything else is a distant second. They got rid of Luis Guzman as Raines' partner which is disappointing, but the characters not been used much anyway. Yet again I wouldn't get too attached though, there's rumours of cancellation

It's getting hard to get attached to anything nowadays isnt it!

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 3
RE: Raines - US Speed - 4/4/2007 5:21:36 PM   
Captain Black

I've watched the first two episodes and thought they were enjoyable, if nothing terribly special. The Shark comparisons are quite apt (now that you mention it) in that it's basically written around Jeff Goldblum. I think the key differences being that he underplays his typically hyperactive persona, where you can bascially imagine the director screaming at Woods to be more like James Woods! I think both the storylines and the supporting cast for Raines were superior (I liked the twist at the end of the first episode too - possibly an obvious one, but I didn't call it). I don't think I'll keep downloading it, but I'll keep an eye out on its relative success or failure (actually, I thought it was doing OK, even a repeat got 7 million viewers on a usually troublesome Friday slot) and perhaps make an effort at a later date.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 4
RE: Raines - US Speed - 4/4/2007 5:38:12 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

The series order has gone from 13 to 7, so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

And really, it isn't actually very good is it? The Goldblum schtick doesn't really gel with the show - charming though his schtick always is - and the hook (dead victims appear only to him and help him solve the crime) is really stupid, since the victims can't actually say 'Him! He murdered me! Over there, the tall chap in the raincoat, that's my murderer!'. Which of course would be silly, but they talk so cogently and coherently the rest of the time you can't heklp but think 'oh, just tell him already!'...

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 5
RE: Raines - US Speed - 4/4/2007 5:41:39 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

The series order has gone from 13 to 7, so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

And really, it isn't actually very good is it? The Goldblum schtick doesn't really gel with the show - charming though his schtick always is - and the hook (dead victims appear only to him and help him solve the crime) is really stupid, since the victims can't actually say 'Him! He murdered me! Over there, the tall chap in the raincoat, that's my murderer!'. Which of course would be silly, but they talk so cogently and coherently the rest of the time you can't heklp but think 'oh, just tell him already!'...

Thye can't tell him as it isn't them! They merely are figments of Raines' imagination. I like it, The series order got cut back true but this was before an initial airing, could have been for any number of reasons. I'm hoping for a second season.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 6
RE: Raines - US Speed - 4/4/2007 5:52:43 PM   
Captain Black

Nah, at this stage an episode reduction is the death knell Joe. It's a good job NBC have all of those other succesful new shows to fall back on, like, erm......

It's a fair point Vert, but I thought it was one of the better ways to do this sort of thing given that inherent flaw. And I like the fact that it was him projecting rather than a more supernatural element.

Mind you, looking at next year's procedurals at this stage it could be a bloody masterwork of small screen drama.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 7
RE: Raines - 26/1/2008 8:22:36 PM   
Mason Verger

Raines
Monday 28 January
9:00pm - 10:00pm
ITV3
1/7 - Pilot

An addition to a quietly fascinating mini-genre: kooky US dramas that were cancelled mid-series. Jeff Goldblum is a droll, noirish detective who, when someone's murdered, has hallucinations where he converses with the victim. At first and perhaps second glance this is a silly premise, but once you get it (the apparitions can't tell Raines what he doesn't already know; they merely illustrate his deductive thinking), it's quite sweet. Other than that it's an unremarkable whodunit, but crime junkies might appreciate its unusual tone - as will fans of Jeff Goldblum. He's incredibly Jeff Goldblummy throughout.

RT reviewer - Jack SealeVIDEO Plus+: 9851374
Cast

• Jeff Goldblum,Matt Craven,Dov Davidoff,Linda Park,Madeleine Stowe,Nicole Sullivan

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Captain Black)
  • Post #: 8
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Raines - US Speed Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI