Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Louis Theroux

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Louis Theroux Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Louis Theroux - 1/4/2007 10:04:32 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Did anybody just watch this on BBC2?

Just how fucked up can some people be? Crazy crazy world......

Louis, although he's been around a bit, is still, one of the best documentary makers out there.....

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 20/4/2012 11:50:41 AM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:06:24 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Yeah, I caught this and it was unbelievable.  What a nasty evil man that pastor was.  Theroux was good, not sure I could have kept my cool with being spoken to like that from the pastor.

Princess Di a fag enabler?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:08:10 PM   
Castor Troy

I think that's one of the best he's done. It's certainly the most 'involved' he's ever got and you could see him get very angry at times - something he doesn't usually let himself do. The really interesting stuff was when he was talking to the daughters - especially the one at the end. Talking to the woman and the Pastor is obviously pointless but I think it was really revealing hearing the daughters talk.

Well done Louis.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 3
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:10:40 PM   
King_Wah

It was fantastic. I had forgotten what a good documentary maker Louis can be. I thought he showed this cult up for what it was without mocking them. Just showing them up as the deluded individuals they are. I felt such pity for the children who are born in to that. I like to think in this country Social Services would be investigating them for abuse. Making them stand on street corners carrying that vile message is abuse pure and simple.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 4
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:12:18 PM   
BobaJango

What really angers me is that these ignorant fools actually think they have some special insight into the mind of God. One thing i don't understand is how these kids can be so completely brainwashed. Sure, it's easy to just blame the parents but don't the older kids have any mind of their own? Are they simply robots who believe everything their masters tell them?

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 5
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:12:37 PM   
King_Wah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

The really interesting stuff was when he was talking to the daughters - especially the one at the end.  but I think it was really revealing hearing the daughters talk.

Absolutely. I felt genuine pity for the one at the end. I felt that she was a reluctant follower. But she is only 21. Maybe there is hope for her.

Post #: 6
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:12:48 PM   
Hobbitonlass

One of the most uncomfortable bits for me was when he asked that little girl if she knew what her sign meant and this prompted that shite from the woman to the little boy.  It's disgraceful that they are brainwashing (and that's what it is pure and simple) these kids that are born into the "cult"

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 7
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:13:22 PM   
*emz6*

looked great but i just get so angry that i cant watch because it makes me seriously mad!

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 8
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:13:55 PM   
PatBateman

I've never seen Louis lose it before like he did with the 'Brainiac, Jesus was Jewish' comment, but I think that was a sense of disappointment in the documentarian. It's also very rare that I'll agree with Sean Hannity on anything, and seeing that 7 year old girl with the sign was just heartbreaking. Also seeing the other kid getting pelted with a cup was horrible, because it should've been the parents taking that shit.

I'd have liked to know what the family thought about Muslims killing the soldiers, ultimately doing God's work.

WARNING: I may google your name because I'm a bit nosey.

Post #: 9
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:14:24 PM   
LB Jeffries

I'd heard about Phelps' church before and their picketing of soldier's funerals. I didn't watch the whole thing as it was pissing me off no end but I could tell Louis was getting more and more incredulous at their views.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 10
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:16:39 PM   
BobaJango

I love the bit where that pastor calls Louis "dumb" and then has a real struggle registering the concept that 5-2 leaves 3!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 11
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:21:52 PM   
JediBobster

Louis, although he's been around a bit - Your Funny Uncle

Sheesh, Your Funny Uncle, do you work for the BBC? If you think Louis has been around a bit no wonder people like Moira Stewart don't have a chance.

As for the programme, it was top Louis stuff, allowing the subjects freedom to hoist themselves with their own petards.

The main villain, scary deluded Papa Phelps, resembled a mixture of an elderly Adam West and Jack Palance.

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 12
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:23:22 PM   
DrCox

Honestly,  I don't know why I watch things like that... they make me so angry!  Scarier than any horror film!

Why don't I ever listen to me?

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 13
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:27:10 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Beyond comprehension, just utter ignorance in it's ugliest form - again, kudos to Louis Theroux for putting up with that shit, I would have snapped in a second.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to DrCox)
Post #: 14
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:31:10 PM   
Castor Troy

As far as I know, this and the Vegas one were are the only ones he's doing this year. He needs to be on TV more.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 15
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:31:31 PM   
BobaJango

The thing i found so crazy was the whole philosophy they held about what it actually means to refer to someone as a "fag". There's just no logic. At least with Neo-Nazis and other racists there is a clear understanding of where their hatred lies. With these people, their beliefs just make absolutely no sense!

Post #: 16
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:32:11 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: JediBobster
The main villain, scary deluded Papa Phelps, resembled a mixture of an elderly Adam West

Me and my housemates also made the same observation

It was a brilliant show. Some of the most brilliant and yet scary television I have seen in a long while.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 17
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:32:21 PM   
RockyWilcox

quote:

ORIGINAL: JediBobster

Louis, although he's been around a bit - Your Funny Uncle

Sheesh, Your Funny Uncle, do you work for the BBC? If you think Louis has been around a bit no wonder people like Moira Stewart don't have a chance.

As for the programme, it was top Louis stuff, allowing the subjects freedom to hoist themselves with their own petards.

The main villain, scary deluded Papa Phelps, resembled a mixture of an elderly Adam West and Jack Palance.

JEDI BOBSTER

You've  been around a bit but you keep putting your name at the end of your post.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 18
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:34:34 PM   
Mozza

I cannot believe that I missed this!

Still, something as controversial as this will be doin the rounds on BBC4 sometime soon.

(in reply to RockyWilcox)
Post #: 19
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:34:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

The thing i found so crazy was the whole philosophy they held about what it actually means to refer to someone as a "fag". There's just no logic. At least with Neo-Nazis and other racists there is a clear understanding of where their hatred lies. With these people, their beliefs just make absolutely no sense!

Absolutely!  Just because someone somewhere in Sweden prosecuted a pastor for his religious spoutings they decided the whole of Sweden should be condemmed..  Yeah right.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 20
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:37:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

Was a very good episode - Louis usally doesn't become angry with his subjects but I think seeing what that family was putting the childern through really affected him.

The main daughter he was talking to throughout the episode was intresting. It seemed quite obvious she was just saying the right things for the camera. She was semi -flirting with Louis at times and I got the sense that perhaps she wasn't so unaware of men as she protested she was...

And the pastor is an idot. Men like him are the reason there is hate and anger in the world. What a warpped view of the world.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 21
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:37:34 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

Absolutely!  Just because someone somewhere in Sweden prosecuted a pastor for his religious spoutings they decided the whole of Sweden should be condemmed..  Yeah right.

They even had a sign which said something along the lines of; "Fag - Sweden". As if any average Joe driving past would know what the hell they were refering to!

Post #: 22
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:40:08 PM   
musewitch

I didnt see this, can someone explain what the cult was about?

Can't look Can't look

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 23
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:43:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Louis Theroux spent time with This cult

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 24
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:49:44 PM   
Mojo

That was fantastic television, I'd never even heard of Louis Theroux before Castor told me about him tonight. It really angered me though, some of the things that they were coming out with were outrageous.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 25
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:51:17 PM   
Dark Angel

Bollocks, I wanted to watch it but just completely forgot in the end. I've heard about Phelps and I've watched the clips on the BBC website and well, these people are truly fucked up individuals.

I get angry hearing about these people but at the same time it's fascinating seeing just how deluded they are.

Post #: 26
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 10:59:35 PM   
King_Wah

Confession time. I actually found the daughter who appeared to be having some doubts and laughing at Louis going to hell quite hot. Must be the chaste thing.

< Message edited by King_Wah -- 1/4/2007 11:00:07 PM >

(in reply to Dark Angel)
Post #: 27
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 11:00:35 PM   
musewitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Louis Theroux spent time with This cult

Ta Lass.

A collection of Westboro signs and slogans can be seen at "The signs of the times" web page.
Other slogans are[citation needed]:
  • God Hates You [19]
  • God Hates Your Tears [20]
  • God Hates Fag Enablers [19]
  • God Is Your Enemy [19]
  • Thank God for 9/11 [19]
  • Thank God for the Tsunami [21]
  • Thank God for Katrina[22]
  • Thank God for Dead Soldiers [19]
  • Thank God for IEDs (improvised explosive devices) [19]
  • Thank God for AIDS [5]
  • Fag Santa (carried at Christmas time)
  • Fag Flag (with an American flag) [19]
  • Fags Doom Nations (Image)
  • Fags Are Worthy of Death (Image)
  • Fags Eat Feces = Scat
  • Fag Troops [19]
  • Menninger Therapy (complete with two stick figures mounting)
  • Repent or Perish [23]
  • Dyke nuns and Fag Priests (carried outside Catholic churches)
  • Dyke Sows Wed Here (complete with pictures of pigs in wedding dresses covered with feces; carried at lesbian weddings)
  • Brides of Satan (referring to lesbian weddings)
  • Don't Worship the Dead [19]
  • Disney Fags (used during Disney on Ice at the Expo Center.)
  • Your Pastor Is A Whore [19]

They sound insane, I hope that program is repeated.  I saw another Louis Theroux doc on anti Jews in America, that was some of the most shocking stuff ive seen on tv.

Can't look Can't look

Post #: 28
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 11:06:41 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

Confession time. I actually found the daughter who appeared to be having some doubts and laughing at Louis going to hell quite hot. Must be the chaste thing.

You'll burn in hell for that thought...

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 29
RE: Louis Theroux - Most Hated Family In America - 1/4/2007 11:07:46 PM   
Mojo

Its fucking unnacceptable behaviour and I'm actually ashamed to call myself a Christian because of them.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Louis Theroux Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI