Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Days Of Glory - 31/3/2007 4:46:04 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 31/3/2007 4:46:04 PM   
moviemaniac2

Fusing the personal and the political, this stirring war drama comes with a modern-day resonance and plenty of punch. Recommended.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Warning: This is not a war film - 9/4/2007 11:36:20 AM   
platham42

About 5% of this film has combat scenes in it. It's mostly about how badly the French dealt with their African and North African soldiers in WW2. Which is fine. Except it's badly directed and dull. And it has Jamel Debbouze in it who's an OK actor but in real life only has one arm. The film makers think they get away with this by having him walking around with a prosthetic arm tucked in a pocket. I gave this film the very rare distinction of leaving before the end as it was so slow. And I like French movies!

Post #: 3
RE: Warning: This is not a war film - 19/4/2007 1:52:55 PM   
Timon

A decent war film but none the tour de force I thought it would be.

It's well know how this film has changed policy in France and the final scenes are basically a big 'fuck you' at the French government but all this aside, it's a decent little war film dealing not so much is the men but what they hope to gain from it.

The Algerian corporal unites the other natives with his dream that they, like all other French soldiers, deserve some libertity, equality and fraternity despite the poor way the Army treats them denying them leave and even reading classes. This though barely inspires the other men who are either slumming it as they have nothing better to do or are interested in money and the ladies. It's a pity because Cpl Adelnbaker is the only character that you end up caring for as he sees the bigger picture while the other men seem content with their lot in life.

You feel his frustration and his final scene 60 years later is a gut punch as you realise despite all his sacrifices for France, things haven't changed.

The final battle is gripping and exciting and clearly inspired by Saving Private Ryan but with a quarter of the budget.

A decent film that deserves a larger audience

4/5 stars

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to platham42)
Post #: 4
*possible spoilers* - 24/9/2007 10:03:48 AM   
davey_wan

an important message that sometimes is rammed in your face a bit too much.

the fact that one of the main characters only has one arm, so is constantly shown with his hand in his pocket prevented me from aking this as seriously as I think it was intended...

Post #: 5
RE: *possible spoilers* - 14/11/2007 7:55:24 PM   
Sway

The unfortunate thing about the war genre, is that it can be very difficult to provide the film going public with something new.  It's been drummed into us through countless films that 'War is Hell', that war produces impossibly strong bonds between the men in arms involved, and that those within the enemy side are just like our own boys, not simply faceless monsters.   That's not to say that the countless number of films and series, old and new (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket) that show all of this are worth any less simply because they're showing us what we already know. On the contrary, they're all excellent.

I just think it's refreshing to watch a war film with a slight twist. Perhaps that's why Tigerland is one of my all time favourite films  - the concept of a film revolving round a soldier's training pre-war and stopping directly before he heads off into war could easily have come off as extremely boring and unengaging, but Schumacher does a remarkable job of it.

With Days of Glory, here's another war film with a slight twist.  It's WWII, again, and it's the allies, again. But this time it's french-algerians fighting for their 'motherland' - a place hardly any of them had stepped foot inside of before. So straight away, you can tell the story is less 'war is hell' and more 'whose war is this anyway?'   The majority of the story engages with the conflicts revolving round the blatant discrimination against and secondary treatment of the french-algerians.  On various occasions it becomes obvious that these troops were regarded as largely expendable, thrown into serious front line and completely hopeless action as a first attack, (e.g one of the first action sequences shows them launching an attack uphill with barely any cover, with the hill having already been secured by Germans who were settled in nicely behind their defences, picking them off like ants.)

The film raises the themes of patriotism and loyalty, as many war films do, but seeing the french-algerian soldiers commit themselves 100% to defending and protecting their motherland whose commanders see them as little more than expendable, it doesn't so much celebrate the patriotism (as other jingoistic American war films may do), as question it's worth.

There was relatively little action within the film due to it concentrating more on such issues, but when there was action it was pretty gripping, particularly toward the end in Alsace which had me biting my nails.

The only two criticisms I have of the film, are that sometimes the conflicts surrounding the patriotism, race and equality issues are conveyed a little too heavy handedly, as though the audience isn't smart enough to pick up on subtle discrimination. It's like some of the scenes come with 'discrimination in progress' signs all over them, which takes a little of the authenticity from it and leaves you a little less engaged.   Also, the lack of characterisation on the 4 leads means it's hard to properly engage with them or have any real depth of feelings towards them individually other than outrage at the discrimination they collectively experienced.

However, on the whole, I really enjoyed this film, and enjoyed a new perspective for a change. The final scenes with the information on the french government are shocking and I'm glad this has been allowed to go public - I wasn't aware of the info at the end, and was disgusted by it. More people should be made of aware of this and other cases like it.

< Message edited by Sway -- 14/11/2007 11:23:19 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to davey_wan)
Post #: 6
RE: *possible spoilers* - 14/11/2007 9:53:06 PM   
DanCurley

Ooops, was about to say "As good as Talledega Nights but not a patch on Anchorman"...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 7
Not bad at all... - 14/7/2008 10:22:40 PM   
koreanjase

Some may argue it is dull and boring, but this film is not about full blown action; it is more of a character piece that explores the dedication of the North African soliders that were poorly treated by the French. And it does this so well even though the action sequences could have benefited with a higher certificate rating . And to those who say it is dull and boring - whilst you will no doubt understand the film's message, you have missed so much.

< Message edited by koreanjase -- 14/7/2008 10:25:17 PM >

Post #: 8
- 14/7/2008 10:26:44 PM   
koreanjase

Some may argue it is dull and boring, but this film is not about full blown action; it is more of a character piece that explores the dedication of the North African soliders that were poorly treated by the French. And it does this so well even though the action sequences could have benefited with a higher certificate rating . And to those who say it is dull and boring - whilst you no doubt will understand the film's message, you have missed so much.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Days Of Glory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI