Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Andy Barker, P.I.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Andy Barker, P.I. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Andy Barker, P.I. - 31/3/2007 12:01:24 AM   
mfj fratelli

Suite 210
Andy Barker
Certified Public Accountant

Talk-show comedian Conan O' Brien has decided to take advantage of his regal status at NBC by co-creating this series about a timid, genial CPA (Certified Public Accountant) who is mistaken for a Private Investigator.

Andy Richter teams up with his former late-night compadre to add to the mystery/comedy genre that has generated mucho success for programs like Monk and Psych. In the pilot episode, Richter portrays the eponymous hero who opens his own accounting office in a strip-mall; working alongside Simon (Tony Hale), the manager of 'Video Riot', and Wally - an Afghani restauranteur.
Unfortunately, business is slow for Barker until a mysterious Russian woman asks for his help in locating her missing husband. She hands him the card of the previous office tenant - a Private Dick. Uncertain about what he could possibly do to help, Barker is enticed by the cash involved so he begins to investigate; meeting Lew Staziak along the way - the retired P.I. who becomes Barker's source of advice throughout the series. From thereon in, Barker moonlights as an amateur crime-solver.  

Plotwise, the show isn't as polished as Monk or Psych. The 30 minute running time (including commercials) doesn't help in developing as much tension, but it seems that the creators are opting to highlight the comedic side of the genre coin.

Most of the laughs are provided by the secondary characters Lew and Simon who exist as a contrast to Barker's restrained personality. When the two are in the same scene together, just watch out!

To say the program is light-hearted is a gross understatement. Anyone looking for a solemn example of televisual sleuthing shouldn't bother with this. On the other hand, if you enjoy shows that add a dash of comedy to all the malevolence (i.e. Monk, Psych) then definitely give this show a chance.

It's a mid-season bastard child, so only 6 episodes are scheduled for its first season. I'm getting out all of the fortuitous trinkets that I can find to help ensure that it gets a full-season renewal. Although, it looks like ratings are mediocre; with positive, but lukewarm critical reviews. I sincerely hope the NBC execs stick to their guns and give it at least one more season. Who knows? It might develop into as big a hit as The Office (US) or My Name is Earl. Sadly though, even I'm not that optimistic.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!
Post #: 1
RE: Andy Barker, P.I. - 9/4/2007 11:56:53 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Cancelled.

Shame, it was funny.

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 2
RE: Andy Barker, P.I. - 10/4/2007 12:04:16 AM   
The Mighty

Damn NBC. All the episodes are online though.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 3
RE: Andy Barker, P.I. - 11/4/2007 12:00:22 AM   
mfj fratelli

Dag Nabbit! I guess my lucky charms had no effect. Although, I can't say I'm completely surprised. Perhaps, the idea to put all the episodes online, backfired. Too bad, it had the potential to become another big comedy for NBC.

Let's just hope they release it on DVD. I doubt they will, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Just look at how they treated Sons & Daughters though; it was another unfairly cancelled sitcom. There were plans to put it on DVD, but that was quickly kiboshed.

It's still nice to see that a few forumites enjoyed the program.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 4
RE: Andy Barker, P.I. - 11/4/2007 12:20:30 AM   
furrybastard

I watched the first four episodes and quite enjoyed them. They got progressively better - the Pilot was probably the worst episode of the lot. It had a lot of potential and a great supporting cast.

I think NBC have beena  little unfair with this one - it was hardly expensive to make, was it? (ل la Studio 60 or The Black Donnellys - two other good shows that haven't had much of a chance).

From the looks of it, NBC look like they're getting cold feet. I imagine there's a lot of arguments between the president (Kevin O' Reilly) and the other execs, kind of like what we saw with Peet in Studio 60 Some shows are being supported despite poor ratings but others are not. I guess it's come down to a matter of pick and choose.

Also, you'd think they might want to stay good buddies with Conan O' Brian. Seems odd that the show barely got a chance to survive at all

Post #: 5
RE: Andy Barker, P.I. - 11/4/2007 12:44:32 AM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I watched the first four episodes and quite enjoyed them. They got progressively better - the Pilot was probably the worst episode of the lot. It had a lot of potential and a great supporting cast.

I think NBC have beena  little unfair with this one - it was hardly expensive to make, was it? (ل la Studio 60 or The Black Donnellys - two other good shows that haven't had much of a chance).

From the looks of it, NBC look like they're getting cold feet. I imagine there's a lot of arguments between the president (Kevin O' Reilly) and the other execs, kind of like what we saw with Peet in Studio 60 Some shows are being supported despite poor ratings but others are not. I guess it's come down to a matter of pick and choose.

Also, you'd think they might want to stay good buddies with Conan O' Brian. Seems odd that the show barely got a chance to survive at all

I agree!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 6
RE: Andy Barker, P.I. - 11/4/2007 3:59:30 PM   
Joedini

It was up against CSI and Greys Anatomy too. Never stood a chance

Post #: 7
RE: Andy Barker, P.I. - 11/4/2007 7:44:56 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

It was up against CSI and Greys Anatomy too. Never stood a chance

It's a shame, because the numbers weren't terrible for that time slot, and I thought NBC would at least run the whole of this first season before they decided to end it. Just look at shows like Seinfeld, which started off which such low ratings, but ended up being huge. Maybe NBC decided they'd done this enough this season, with 30 Rock and Friday Night Lights, and they couldn't afford to give another show time to develop.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Andy Barker, P.I. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI