Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Frank Miller penned 300 follow up

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Frank Miller penned 300 follow up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 30/3/2007 4:55:32 PM   
Axel Foley

Over in the 300 reviews thread, Timon mentioned that Frank Miller was being asked to pen a follow-up. I did try to start some further speculation of on what content we might expect from such a piece, but it got a bit curtailed by the fuss over the film’s politics (bizarre when I consider that it is a mythologized version of history, featuring deformed magistrates, 14 year old nympho Oracles, giants and a goat headed minstrel).

Anyway I thought we might have some more room to discuss over here, so here are my initial thoughts.

The latter half of the 5th century BC saw the Spartans, join the Thebans and Corinthians in a Peloponnesian conflict, in which they fought to suppress the budding democracy in Athens. This would give the opportunity to show the Spartans as the cruel, heartless, dominating bastards they were, while the “poets and boy lovers” become the valiant heroes, fighting for the preservation of democracy. It could centre around the siege of Athens and their eventual defeat at the Battle of Aegospotami, (in which the huge Athenian naval fleet was all but destroyed) after which the Spartan commander chose to spare the city from annihilation, in opposition to the bloodthirsty calls from their Greek allies.

Alternatively there is the fall of Sparta, as seen after The battle of Leuctra, where the Thebans whupped the Spartans backsides. The Thebans, led by Epaminondas the “first man of Greece”, abandoned the phalanx, took on a more flexible formation and revolutionised military tactics for the next 100 years (that is until the Roman domination began). Epaminondas would provide a more or less complete juxtaposition with Leonidas, as though a strong warrior he was also a philosopher and enjoyed a bit of ‘Greek love’.

There’s a good description of the battle over at wikipedia if anyone wants to whet their appetites.

Any other ideas? Do we want to see the Spartans as ‘bad guys’? Should he pick a mythological event and make it realistic ala Troy or is the history as mythology idea a better approach?

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza
Post #: 1
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 30/3/2007 4:59:46 PM   
Timon

Currently reading Steven Pressfield's LAST OF THE AMAZONS about the adventures of Theseus.

The year is 1250 BC; setting out on his dangerous odysseys, the celebrated Athenian monarch (best known for his combat with the monstrous Minotaur) has many close calls with death before taking a fateful decision: he marries the fierce Amazon queen Antiope. His action has disastrous consequences: the fearsome tribe of warrior women who spurn contact with men form a massive army and march to Athens to exact a bloody revenge. Their defeat, of course, was written in the stars, but for a remarkable period, their actions transfixed the Attic world before catastrophe overtook them.

Can you imagine a Frank Miller Amazonian tribe?! Dear Lord, they'd make the girls of Sin City's Old Town looks as tame as lambs.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 2
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 30/3/2007 5:14:16 PM   
Axel Foley

I did a google image search for Antiope, and though there were quite bizzarely a few pictures of pet cats, the majority seems to suggest that there’d be plenty for male viewers to get excited about.

Away from my mind boggling as to the fun Miller might have with Amazons, her wikipedia entry suggests plenty of cinematic potential. Violence, love and betrayals. Bring it!

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 30/3/2007 6:26:47 PM   
Maria Noir

400?

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 4
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 30/3/2007 8:43:47 PM   
BatFan

Maria Noir what program is your av from? I remember watching that program as a little kid, but can't remember the title.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Maria Noir)
Post #: 5
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 30/3/2007 10:45:51 PM   
Maria Noir

It's from The Visionaries. I've actually made a few avatars of the series - they're all in the "Geek" thread in Fun and Games.

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 6
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 1/4/2007 7:00:46 PM   
Timon

Sounds like I wasn't too far wrong with my prediction of Amazonians;

Thanks to the success of "300," lots of ancient war epics are getting a glance over amongst agents and studios with the hopes of turning them into a stylised, modern pulp action vehicles.

The one that's generating the most heat right now though is Harrison Powell's "The Sun is Falling," an epic about, quite literally, a group of Amazonian warrior women who served as an elite guard to Manco Inca Yupanqui, the last Incan Emperor of Peru.

According to The Lima Sentinel, events in the film are set against the backdrop of Francisco Pizarro's capturing of the Incan capital Cuzco in 1533, with must of the last act about the failed siege which attempted to recapture the city three years later.

Considering that battle was a fight between 100,000 incans and countless Spanish conquistadors - combined with a rich rainforest, mountain and ancient city setting - the material is ripe for film adaptation. Making it about a bunch of muscular hot chicks in leotards fighting with spears and arrows - the studio can obviously see the dollar signs.

The script is presently being considered by several studios, no word as yet as to who'll be picking it up.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 7
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 1/4/2007 8:41:14 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maria Noir

It's from The Visionaries. I've actually made a few avatars of the series - they're all in the "Geek" thread in Fun and Games.

I don't remember The Visionaries doing that

I gather if Miller is scripting it the Amazons will be scantiliy clad.  I very much doubt the film will will be doing the removal of the right breast as the Amazons did in order to prevent it getting in the way of the bowstring

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Maria Noir)
Post #: 8
RE: Frank Miller penned 300 follow up - 2/4/2007 7:55:34 AM   
kasm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maria Noir

I don't remember The Visionaries doing that

I gather if Miller is scripting it the Amazons will be scantiliy clad.  I very much doubt the film will will be doing the removal of the right breast as the Amazons did in order to prevent it getting in the way of the bowstring

Must have sucked for the left handed women.

I do pointless -good

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
300: Battle of Artemisia - 2/11/2011 9:15:37 PM   
Timon

Looks like Joel Edgerton has bagged the lead. After seeing him in Warrior, that's great news.

Vulture reports that the actor would play Greek General Themistocles, who lead Athens against Persian invaders in a battle that played out simultaneously with the Battle of Thermopylae (depicted in the first 300 film).

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 10
RE: 300: Battle of Artemisia - 2/11/2011 11:44:31 PM   
Spaldron

If his recent work is anything to go by it'll feature 300 Americans and Israeli's killing every last Muslim on the planet to the music of Wagner. Frank Miller can fuck off, racist cunt.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Frank Miller penned 300 follow up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI