Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. - 17/10/2011 6:50:21 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

It's quiet in this thread when we're doing well!
Is that 12 games unbeaten now (9 this season, all comps)?

Ba and Best scoring, and displacing Ameobi. Krul playing really well. Cabaye looking like a cracking purchase, and in the brief glimpses we've seen, Marveaux and Ben Arfa also looking decent. More pace in the team than when we had messrs Carroll, Nolan and Barton (still a shame about Enrique's exit). Players returning from injury. Decisions going for rather than against us for a change. Gutierrez signing a new contract (Colo to follow!).

Continuing the unbeaten record against Spurs in a couple of weeks time might be a big ask - be great if we managed a decent result. Then it's Wigan at home and Blackburn in the cup, both eminently winnable.

Not looking forward to the middle of Nov - beginning of Dec, like, when we play Man City, then Man Utd, then Chelsea.........

Sorry i aint been on here Gram, tis difficult these days.
Great result at home yesterday. I was a tad worried about Spurs.
To be honest im more concerned going away to Stoke than i am the 3 games at the end of Nov. Stoke can be a handfull for anyone and hard to work out but with the top 3 you know what your going to get mostly.

Anyhoo ..... still 4th.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1561
RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. - 17/10/2011 7:58:18 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Were Newcastle 1-0 and 2-1 behind? Even at home, coming back from a deficit twice gives an indication there's good character in the team.

I'd love to see what we could probably call at this stage a new name in the hunt for the top 4, 5, 6 spots. I actually should start watching more of their games I think.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1562
RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. - 18/10/2011 7:40:18 PM   
horribleives

Obviously remaining unbeaten and giving a good team like Spurs a run for their money is great, but it's been particularly sweet making the likes of Mark Lawrensen, Paul Merson and any other know-nothing pundit eat their foolish smug words over the last few weeks. Sure, we'll lose games and have a bad spell eventually but the fact they've been predicting it with such cocksure certaintly for weeks and it still hasn't happened shows how fucking clueless they both are.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1563
RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. - 18/10/2011 8:39:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I don't think it was completely unreasonable to write off Newcastle, for the following reasons:
1) the manager hadn't had a perfect record, kind of mid-table club almost journeyman is where I would have put him
2) the team was very much built around the physicality of Carroll
3) they let some good players go
4) there is a gap in physical requirement between the French and English league, it is not guaranteed a player from France can go 90 minutes
5) Demba Ba is a fine striker, but with a questionable medical history
6) the transfer money was not fully re-invested in the team

Many reasons to have doubts, but I'm really pleased Newcastle are defying these and would love them to keep up the pace. Is the owner due any credit yet?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 1564
RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. - 19/10/2011 11:23:21 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I don't think it was completely unreasonable to write off Newcastle, for the following reasons:
1) the manager hadn't had a perfect record, kind of mid-table club almost journeyman is where I would have put him
2) the team was very much built around the physicality of Carroll
3) they let some good players go
4) there is a gap in physical requirement between the French and English league, it is not guaranteed a player from France can go 90 minutes
5) Demba Ba is a fine striker, but with a questionable medical history
6) the transfer money was not fully re-invested in the team

Many reasons to have doubts, but I'm really pleased Newcastle are defying these and would love them to keep up the pace. Is the owner due any credit yet?

Oh I agree with all that - I had the same reservations and more before the season.
I'm talking about very recently (when it's become clear to most in the media and people who actually watch a lot of football that the team is talking shape and boasts some serious quality), there's still been a sneering view of our good form as a novelty, to the point where the two 'experts' above predicted with absolute certaintly we would be taught a lesson by Spurs.
Personally, I love all that though and so do the players so I hope Merson and Lawrensen continue to write us off.
As for your final question - nah, not just yet. All the credit goes to Pardew, John Carver and (especially) Graham Carr for now, with a special mention to the senior players for keeping the spirit of last year intact after losing some key dressing room figures. If we manage to stay in the top ten and Ashley makes good on his promise to invest once the financial waters have been steadied then maybe it'll have all been worth it but he's got a lot of ground to make up with the fans.
Oh and we'll have to see who they decide to flog in January first...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 1565
RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. - 19/10/2011 2:36:25 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I'm talking about very recently (when it's become clear to most in the media and people who actually watch a lot of football that the team is talking shape and boasts some serious quality), there's still been a sneering view of our good form as a novelty, to the point where the two 'experts' above predicted with absolute certaintly we would be taught a lesson by Spurs.
Personally, I love all that though and so do the players so I hope Merson and Lawrensen continue to write us off.

Sorry I didn't understand the context. I don't watch Football Focus or MotD (which I guess is where the Lawro stuff is from) and Soccer Saturday (I'm guessing the Merson stuff) is more watched for the smooth skills of Jeff Stelling and laughing at the comedy stylings of Phil Thompson.

Post #: 1566
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 19/10/2011 2:43:57 PM   
galvatron

I do think we're over achieving. Our starting 11 is a pretty good side. But one or two injuries and suspensions and we'd be screwed. What happens when Tiote goes to the African cup? Guthrie is going to be first choice centre midfield. There's a lack of depth in the squad and that's where our money from Carroll needs to be invested. The team are playing well and even playing some good football (except the QPR game) I just hope we don't get any bad injuries. 

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1567
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 20/10/2011 9:25:02 AM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

I do think we're over achieving. Our starting 11 is a pretty good side. But one or two injuries and suspensions and we'd be screwed. What happens when Tiote goes to the African cup? Guthrie is going to be first choice centre midfield. There's a lack of depth in the squad and that's where our money from Carroll needs to be invested. The team are playing well and even playing some good football (except the QPR game) I just hope we don't get any bad injuries. 

I have to disagree a tad Galv. We have quality Midfielders in abundance that could step up with the rest of the team at any time from Guthrie all the way to Haris Vucik. Dont forget that Ryan Taylor plays mostly in Midfield usually too.
Tiote wont be that missed when he goes to the African Cup.
January will soon be upon us and a couple of names are being mentioned already that look certain to join us in the Transfer Window.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 1568
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 20/10/2011 6:37:05 PM   
horribleives

Pardew Q&A just started on BBC Newcastle if anyone's interested.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1569
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 20/10/2011 7:48:32 PM   
directorscut

Is it in French?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 1570
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 20/10/2011 8:33:07 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Is it in French?

No but I fell a little bit in love with him so it might as well have been.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1571
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 22/10/2011 10:28:44 PM   
Beno

Soooo glad Cabaye got his first goal today, he deserves it and heaps of praise also.

Post #: 1572
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 26/10/2011 11:20:16 AM   
Beno

Flippin eck ..... when there be no scandal at Toon then it be like a Morgue in here.

Probably wont last     HA!!

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1573
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 27/10/2011 2:03:23 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Flippin eck ..... when there be no scandal at Toon then it be like a Morgue in here.

Probably wont last     HA!!

Toon lose finally scandal??

Naaaaah, no scandal in the loss last night. Am very proud of the lads. I am a bit worried Cabaye might get tapped up by one of the 'big' clubs though.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1574
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 31/10/2011 6:26:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Excited about getting a chance to see Newcastle play tonight, so expect a terrible performance

Is Ranger in the squad, or is he still out on the lash Newcastle forward in drinking allegations, what will the world come to

I also think that Newcastle fans should be pushing to have Sammy Ameobi recognised at the same level of awesomeness that Balotelli is now enjoying. For the uninitiated, here's typical Sammy on twitter.

"Forgot what room number I was in after the pre match meal, had to wander round the hotel floor trying each door lol"

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 31/10/2011 7:50:34 PM >

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1575
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 31/10/2011 8:52:24 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Half time and Demba Ba and Newcastle making a job that Utd, Spurs and Liverpool all struggled with.

Still 45 minutes to play and Stoke have had a good deal of ball, but that Newcastle defense does look sturdy.

Post #: 1576
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 3:58:13 AM   
Saltire

Another great result for Newcastle, very organised indeed; fantastic to see for them - keep it up!

Post #: 1577
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 9:05:11 AM   
Beno

Well! ....... im in frikkin raptures.

3rd in the table and one point behind Man Utd? ...... cant last surely?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1578
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 11:52:13 AM   
horribleives

Brilliant result last night. Stoke are an ugly team to watch but a fucking hard one to beat.
Nice to see Gary Neville - one of the few pundits who really knows his football - paying tribute to our team as a whole, in particular the defence.
It's really important we get a win against Everton now, just to take a bit of pressure off before we play the big three, though I can live with dropping points in those games if we give good performances. But I still reckon (whisper it cautiously) we'll beat one of them...

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1579
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 11:57:06 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Brilliant result last night. Stoke are an ugly team to watch but a fucking hard one to beat.
Nice to see Gary Neville - one of the few pundits who really knows his football - paying tribute to our team as a whole, in particular the defence.
It's really important we get a win against Everton now, just to take a bit of pressure off before we play the big three, though I can live with dropping points in those games if we give good performances. But I still reckon (whisper it cautiously) we'll beat one of them...

I thought Nev did some pretty good punditing this weekend

Post #: 1580
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 12:04:32 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

I had to admire the unashamed glee with which he took apart Chelsea's defensive performance against Arsenal.

Post #: 1581
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 1:27:38 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I had to admire the unashamed glee with which he took apart Chelsea's defensive performance against Arsenal.

Yeah, I thought that. Neville as a player I admired more than any, purely for his work rate and desire, but punditry looked lost on him at the beginning of the season. However he has relaxed a bit now and often makes some great points.

Well done again to Newcastle. I'm please for Pardew, and to a small extent Mike Ashley, as he is having the last laugh at the moment (which isn't theoretically the last laugh is it?)
Nice to get the points on the board though for when you don't win another match after Christmas.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 1582
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 2:42:18 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I thought that. Neville as a player I admired more than any, purely for his work rate and desire, but punditry looked lost on him at the beginning of the season. However he has relaxed a bit now and often makes some great points.

Well done again to Newcastle. I'm please for Pardew, and to a small extent Mike Ashley, as he is having the last laugh at the moment (which isn't theoretically the last laugh is it?)
Nice to get the points on the board though for when you don't win another match after Christmas.

Why the 'F' does Gary Neville sound just like Jason Manford tho?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1583
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 1/11/2011 2:43:29 PM   
Goodfella

Where the fuck was this Alan Pardew hiding when he was in charge of us!?!?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1584
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 2/11/2011 6:36:30 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Some West Ham fans were a bit miffed last night.

Are they jealous of Pardews current position too, we did warn them about Big Sams style of play, even though they are 2nd and have only lost 3 times so far.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 1585
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 2/11/2011 8:29:25 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Some West Ham fans were a bit miffed last night.

Are they jealous of Pardews current position too, we did warn them about Big Sams style of play, even though they are 2nd and have only lost 3 times so far.

To be honest I don't hold any grudges towards Pardew, he wasn't right for us and I'm glad we've both moved on, but I met the guy at a club supporters meeting and his enthusiasm and dedication the job was unquestionable, I just think he'd lost his way after our first season back in the second tier (which had started so well but fell away so quickly).

His sarcastic applause towards fans after the 5-2 hammering by Sheffield United (his last game in charge of the club) was not a smart move on his behalf and unfortunately will therefore be the reigning memory for most Charlton fans, he never did react well to the boos but we had suffered some appalling defeats that season and after the PD relegation I just think we all lost the plot a little. I think he had struggled to motivate the team, much like Les Reed did previously, and I put much more onus on the ambition of those teams that played under Pardew and Reed than the managers themselves. It's a different story with Parkinson, he had all the pieces of the jigsaw, all willing and wanting, and he still fucked it up, and I'm glad he's turning into a flop up at Bradford now as well. Enjoy the BSP 'Parky.'

As for Pardew, we sacked him because we were 23rd in the Championship in December just a season and a bit after coming down, had lost our last eight and the fans were on the club's back about it. West Ham sacked Pardew after a number of good seasons in the top flight under his leadership because a foreign owner entered their realms and decided he wanted instant CL success. He treated Curbs, a lifelong West Ham man, the same pretty much soon after.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1586
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 3/11/2011 3:53:12 PM   
Beno

So Obertan is going to be out injured for a few games which disrupts our starting 11 but we have strength in Midfield. Against Everton next it would be good to see Ben Arfa get a start, not on the wing though, that would have to be Guthrie or Ryan Taylor.
Hatam Ben Arfa got his only goal for us against Everton so will be suitably pumped to do the same again.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 1587
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 3/11/2011 4:58:15 PM   
horribleives

Think it's more likely a straight swap for Marveaux, who can play both wings, with an outside chance for Dan Gosling. I suspect it'll be the former though - Pardew's never stopped singing his praises and he's due 90 minutes in a premiership game. And it could be a good thing - while Obertan's improving all the time and doing some good stuff, I reckon Marveaux's the more experienced and complete player.
Not sure where Ben Arfa's gonna fit in now to be honest. I think the formation Pardew had in mind at the beginning of the season - in which Ben Arfa was expected to feature prominently - has been largely abandoned due to the form of our (initially) makeshift first 11. Pardew said on the radio he sees him as one of two forwards sitting just behind a conventional striker, so the only possible way I can see him getting a first team place is if Leon Best gets injured or his form drastically drops.
Not a bad conundrum to have though, we're pretty well stocked up in midfield and upfront so I'd be more concerned if Colloccini or Steven Taylor got injured.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 3/11/2011 4:59:14 PM >

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 1588
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 10/11/2011 8:25:20 AM   
juanvasquez

Oh dear! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15668207.stm

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 1589
RE: Newcastle United ... Ba .... humbug?? - 10/11/2011 9:12:43 AM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Oh dear! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15668207.stm

Well we were due a 'scandal'. It has been still waters for long enough and is bound to get more than a bit choppy over this.

Makes no odds anyhoo ....... it will always be St James Park.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 1590
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NUFC TOON 2006/07. Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI