Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Gladiator

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Gladiator Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gladiator - 22/11/2007 12:42:18 PM   
JagLover

A great film....in parts. Very good performances from a number of the actors including Russell Crowe and Oliver Reed.

However it starts to lose its way with the 1st confrontation between Maximus and the Emperor in the Arena. It all seems very fake and contrived from that moment on.

Do you remember the end of Spartacus?. When the Romans crushed the slave revolt they crucified them every few metres virtually the length of Italy. Are we supposed to believe that an Emperor doesn't have the power to kill one Gladiator?

The plot then gets even more implausable with the final fight between Maximus and the Emperor.

To convincingly potray a period and place in history takes more than attention to costumes and fancy computer effects. You need to get the people, their beliefs and customs, right.

< Message edited by JagLover -- 22/11/2007 1:31:07 PM >
Post #: 31
RE: Gladiator - 22/11/2007 12:58:33 PM   
Tech_Noir

I just thought it was OK.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 32
RE: Gladiator - 25/11/2007 8:45:33 PM   
Chris66

I thought that Gladiator was very good and it was better than I thought it would be.

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 33
RE: Gladiator - 25/11/2007 8:49:18 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: JagLover
To convincingly potray a period and place in history takes more than attention to costumes and fancy computer effects. You need to get the people, their beliefs and customs, right.

It could be argued that most people's views of ancient or past civilizations are based more on film than fact, so I don't think this is entirely accurate.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 34
RE: Gladiator - 25/11/2007 11:21:56 PM   
darth silas

A terrific film.The only complaint i have is that the opening battle in germania is badly shot and choreopgraphed once the two armies go toe to toe with each other.And they should have had Maximus take down that giant germanian leader with the big club as well.

Other than that.Superb!

< Message edited by darth silas -- 25/11/2007 11:24:55 PM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 35
RE: Gladiator - 26/11/2007 2:37:26 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Great Movie. B4 i saw it i was wary of russel crowe. I didnt like him too much but once i saw this, it changed my mind

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 36
RE: Gladiator - 27/11/2007 4:53:37 PM   
JagLover

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

It could be argued that most people's views of ancient or past civilizations are based more on film than fact, so I don't think this is entirely accurate.

True enough I suppose. I will amend it to "you have to get those beliefs and customs known to the average educated man right."

Very few of those watching historical movies will be professional historians, but that is not to say they are completely ignorant. There are many different ways they might have a basic understanding of the period from Films/TV series, through books and even computer games (like Rome:Total War).

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 37
RE: Gladiator - 29/11/2007 12:26:52 PM   
CORLEONE

A masterpeice. And defintely Zimmer's best score.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 38
RE: Gladiator - 20/3/2009 2:32:11 PM   
Timon

"Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 39
RE: Gladiator - 20/3/2009 2:39:07 PM   
Timon

quote:

A great film....in parts. Very good performances from a number of the actors including Russell Crowe and Oliver Reed.

However it starts to lose its way with the 1st confrontation between Maximus and the Emperor in the Arena. It all seems very fake and contrived from that moment on.

Do you remember the end of Spartacus?. When the Romans crushed the slave revolt they crucified them every few metres virtually the length of Italy. Are we supposed to believe that an Emperor doesn't have the power to kill one Gladiator?

That's explained though. If Commodus kills Maximus, then he'll make him a martyr and lose the love of the people.

quote:

The plot then gets even more implausable with the final fight between Maximus and the Emperor.

Actually, Commodus famously used to put himself in the arena to fight. Of course he fought dwarfs and prisoners that he knew he could beat but still, it's historically accurate that he was off his rocker.

He was however strangled by a wrestler called Narsicuss rather than killed by a former General.

Also, has anyone ever seen The Fall of the Roman Empire with Christopher Plummer as Commudus? The similarities between it and Gladiator are rather striking.

< Message edited by Timon -- 20/3/2009 2:42:35 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 40
RE: Gladiator - 22/3/2009 3:46:41 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Great Film. I was lucky enough to meet Crowe just a few days after it opened here in London and just by chance I was reading the novelisation. After I said 'Hi' and told him how much I enjoyed the film, he grins and signs the book 'To (real name), "What we do in Life echoes in Eternity" Cheers! Russell'

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 41
RE: Gladiator - 25/3/2009 12:49:43 PM   
Timon

That's rather cool.

Does everyone remember those amusing Gladiator 2 rumours? Can't believe Ridley thought it might be a good idea. So glad Russell convinced him otherwise. Worst idea ever... to quote Comic Book Guy.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 42
RE: Gladiator (2000) - 10/5/2009 4:11:04 PM   
Mason Verger

Reviewing Nick Cave's Gladiator 2 Script from Gone Elsewhere

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 43
RE: Gladiator (2000) - 10/5/2009 4:56:13 PM   
Olaf

As it says in that blog post, it would have made a dreadful sequel - but the script is outstanding. Someone should give Nick Cave money to make a movie like this, not as a direct sequel but as a standalone movie. It would be brilliant.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 44
RE: Gladiator (2000) - 11/5/2009 7:32:09 AM   
JoeyPottr

I love this movie. Russell Crowe makes Maximus real. His nuances, lack of melodrama (hate to pick on Colin Farrell but refer to Alexander if you want melodramatic delivered lines from a hero type) subtlety mixed with gritty intensity is just brilliant. When he yells "Are you not entertained?" It's not for melodrama it's for mockery of the crowd. The story is inspiring to begin with. A general who became a slave, a slave who became a gladiator, a gladiator who defied an empire. The actors in this movie do their job very well. Richard Harris as the ailing Marcus Aueroleous has some wonderful scenes with both Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix who makes Commodus more than just a brat who likes his sister a bit too much. He makes him layered, and there's a motivation for what he does. Just as there is motivation for what Maximus does. Another great casting choice is Djimon Hounsou, (so good in the Four Feathers opposite Heath Ledger) whose slave helps Maximus and becomes his friend. Hounsou's subtle performance just adds to the film. Connie Nielson is good as well as Lucia, the mother of a young son heir to the throne and who may or may not have been involved with Maximus in the past. She holds her own against Crowe on screen which is not easy to do, the man's a scenery chewer. The scenes that are the most compelling are between Crowe and Phoenix who push each other with their characters. Added to these the tightly choreographed fight scenes within the collosseum, and the beautiful vantages shown by Ridley Scott's camera and this is a great movie. I don't think the director's cut slows the film down at all, of course I'm a big fan of director's cuts.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 45
RE: Gladiator (2000) - 22/5/2009 9:00:03 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Y'know I was thinking today, GLADIATOR will be Ten Years Old in 2010 - perfect reason for a 10th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 22/5/2009 9:01:20 PM >

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 46
RE: Gladiator (2000) - 27/5/2009 10:32:57 AM   
Timon

I listened to the Crowe/Scott commentary yesterday and it's great - mainly because Crowe's pointing out all the errors in the film like the grip in jeans walking through the camp in Germania and the hydraulic pump on the chariot.

Still, the two have a great chemistry and they seem to nix the idea of a Gladiator 2 though Crowe does want to do something with Djimou Honsou again. It's also interesting to hear them talk openly how the script was all over the place, how Oliver Reed was just an angry man and how Richard Harris was a legend.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 47
RE: Gladiator (2000) - 8/10/2009 5:26:16 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I still have the blu-ray sat on the shelf alongside LEON. oh well, Snake-Eyes' birthday is in a few days time, I'll have to watch 'em both.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 48
RE: Gladiator - 8/10/2009 5:43:17 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

OVERRATED CRAP!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 49
RE: Gladiator - 8/10/2009 5:58:05 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timmy_Brisby_05

OVERRATED CRAP!

Timmy, I hope you don't mind me saying but it seems to me that lately all you do is just slag films off, in their own subject threads. I don't think there's any need for it mate, you can just say it in UNPOPULAR OPINION. I'm not the only one who has noticed this, of course we all have different taste (I know this!) but you just seem to randomly call stuff 'overrated crap'.

just my observation

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 50
RE: Gladiator - 24/2/2010 4:47:14 PM   
Timon

"A people should know when they're conquered..."

"Would you, Quintus? Would I...?"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 51
RE: Gladiator - 25/2/2010 5:48:10 PM   
CORLEONE

"If you find yourself walking in green fields with the sun on your face, then fear not, for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 52
RE: Gladiator - 25/2/2010 5:52:44 PM   
coolstar

I love the score to this movie it makes me cry

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 53
RE: Gladiator - 26/2/2010 10:41:08 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

"If you find yourself walking in green fields with the sun on your face, then fear not, for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

"ROMA VICTOR""

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 54
RE: Gladiator - 26/2/2010 11:00:44 AM   
Karl Crutchley

I remember seeing this at the cinema in Basildon shortly after i'd moved to the area from London.

At the end of the film I was so bowled over I wanted to stand up and give it a standing ovation, but everyone else was just shuffling off out in silence.
I was almost bursting with joy at what i'd just seen, and knew if i'd seen it in Leicester Square everyone would have stood up & demonstrated their appreciation of it.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 55
RE: Gladiator - 27/2/2010 8:48:21 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Crutchley

I remember seeing this at the cinema in Basildon shortly after i'd moved to the area from London.

At the end of the film I was so bowled over I wanted to stand up and give it a standing ovation, but everyone else was just shuffling off out in silence.
I was almost bursting with joy at what i'd just seen, and knew if i'd seen it in Leicester Square everyone would have stood up & demonstrated their appreciation of it.

First time I saw it (total cinema viewings was five) was at the Stratford Picture House with my two cousins, opening night - packed audience who were really into it and everyone cheered at the end

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 56
GLADIATOR - 24/6/2010 12:59:26 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Listening to the score right now (Snake-Eyes prepares for the daily grind). Y'know after watching Ridley n' Russell's ROBIN HOOD... I dunno, it was just piss-poor compared to this one.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 57
RE: Gladiator - 24/6/2010 8:29:11 PM   
babyclaws

I've completely loved this film ever since it came out and my mum put make-up on me to sneak me into the cinema. (I think I was about 9-10 at the time) Thank goodness I didn't get caught!

"No means Meow"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: Gladiator - 25/6/2010 6:51:56 AM   
grucl

I am Proximo!
I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that bitch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world! I did not pay good money for your company. I paid it so that I might profit from your death. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, I shall be there at your end. And when you die - and die you shall - your transition will be to the sound of this...(claps his hands)

< Message edited by grucl -- 25/6/2010 6:52:44 AM >

(in reply to babyclaws)
Post #: 59
RE: Gladiator - 8/9/2010 8:30:36 AM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

I am Proximo!
I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that bitch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world! I did not pay good money for your company. I paid it so that I might profit from your death. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, I shall be there at your end. And when you die - and die you shall - your transition will be to the sound of this...(claps his hands)

Oliver Reed has some great lines in this movie.

Proximo: Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer giraffes. I want my money back.

Proximo: [holding up a sword] Thrust this into another man's flesh, and they will applaud and love you for that. You may even begin to love them
[thrusts]
Proximo: for that.

Proximo: Ultimately, we're all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose how but, what we can decide is how we meet that end, in order that we are remembered, as men.  Proximo: He knows to well how to manipulate the mob.
Maximus: Marcus Aurelius had a dream that was Rome, Proximo. That is not it. That is not it!
Proximo: Marcus Aurelius is dead, Maximus. We mortals are but shadows and dust. Shadows and dust, Maximus!  Proximo: So Spaniard, we shall go to Rome together and have bloody adventures. And the great whore will suckle us until we are fat and happy and can suckle no more. And then, when enough men have died, perhaps you will have your freedom.  Proximo: I know that you are a man of your word, General. I know that you would die for honor, for Rome, for the memory of your ancestors. But as for me? I'm an entertainer.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Gladiator Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI