Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gladiator

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Gladiator Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gladiator - 24/3/2007 9:27:37 PM   
coolstar

I just saw the trailer for 300 and it reminded me of this masterpiece . Gladiator one of my favorite films is even better then KOH !!. I love gladiator becouse its directed by Riddly scott !

< Message edited by coolstar -- 24/3/2007 9:28:24 PM >

I am going Deep Deep undercover
Post #: 1
RE: Gladiator - 24/3/2007 9:29:56 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Agreed...Gladiator is my 3rd favourite film an for me, gets better with repeated viewings!

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 2
RE: Gladiator - 24/3/2007 9:46:15 PM   
Cuchulainn

Gladiator is an excellent film,and provided Ridley Scott with a much-needed hit after a few costly mis-steps since his previous big commercial success,Thelma & Louise...It could be argued that it could do with a little less dialogue and a bit more 'gladiating' (the Extended Edition is completely surplus to requirements...),but it's still a great addition to a once-thought long-dead genre...
"Are you not entertained...?!!"
I was...great stuff...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 3
RE: Gladiator - 24/3/2007 10:58:09 PM   
doncopey1

A masterful film and in my opinion is flawless. Its very rare to see a modern day film that is so well made and so enjoyable you can watch it over and over again. The acting is first class as is Ridley Scott's direction (his best film imo). But that score from Hans Zimmer is one of the greatest things i have ever heard. In a word GENIUS!

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 4
RE: Gladiator - 26/3/2007 1:37:45 PM   
Timon

The film that single handedly resurrected an entire genre from the dusty archives of Hollywood. For that feat alone it deserves praise but the fact that it combines action, heart and politics into a sweeping epic is no easy task.

The General who became a slave, the slave that became a gladiator, the gladiator that defied an emperor.....it is indeed a striking story and one that managed to get away with playing merry hell with history simply because it was an great yarn.

Russell Crowe has never been better than Maximus - the pride of the Roman army - as he seeks revenge against those that took everything from him. His life, his family, hell they even killed his dog (off screen though to avoid upsetting the audience). His emergence as the greatest Gladiator that the Empire has ever seen is not done on a whim. This is a general who gets his hands dirty, is familiar with combat and death. Killing a few slaves isn't a huge challenge to him especially when motivated by revenge.

Everything about this film is epic - the city of Rome, the opening battle in Germania, the music, the cast, the script ('We are put dust in the wind') and it deserved to win Best Film and Best Actor but clearly the Acadmey thought it directed itself as where was Ridley's statue? Shocking.

What it does do though is return to Big Screen Heroes something that had beem missing for quite a while. Sure the likes of Keanu Reeeves look cool in kevlar with sub machines strapped to them but do they have 'Strength and Honour"? I think not.

< Message edited by Timon -- 26/3/2007 1:39:12 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 5
RE: Gladiator - 26/3/2007 2:50:18 PM   
BigKovacs

Brilliant film, I loved it from the start and knew it was different mustard from the first arena fight. There have been quite a few pretender in the years since Gladiator but none of them come close to its greatness. And Hans Zimemrs score was a classic.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Gladiator - 26/3/2007 4:14:43 PM   
deano19790

I totally agree with everything on this thread, it's definitely in my top 5 films and only the 2nd film I've ever gone to see 3 times at the cinema!!

A wiseguy never pays for his drinks!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 7
RE: Gladiator - 26/3/2007 7:05:10 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Gladiator was a phenomenon: grossing over $500 million worldwide, making a star of Russell Crowe and putting Ridley Scott back on the map, as well as winning five Oscars including Best Picture and revitalising the sword and sandals genre. Yet no film has come close to recapturing this film's magic.

Gladiator is a story about a search for a home: Maximus, betrayed by the Roman Empire, personified by an insidious Commodus (played by Joaquin Phoenix with suitable self-loathing and intensity), and now a father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and now wanders aimlessly as a gladiator before finding purpose once more as the gladiator that defied an empire.

Gladiator explores classical themes like death and immortality, yet never comes across as bloated unlike some recent epics like Troy or Alexander, due to a strong story formed by Russell Crowe's amazing performance, with grit and charm. The same applies to Ridley Scott's direction and visuals, being the architect he is, never approaching the ancient peoples of Rome in a dry manner, but finds new meanings in those worlds long gone. He always manages to keep the Roman politics of a rebellion in the background, using a story to create a universe rather than the other way round.

Gladiator is a powerful, moving story, thrilling and violent with every sense of colour and sweep, with equal amounts of majesty and brutality that define the Roman Empire. Possibly the last hurrah for the genre, and if it is, then long may it be remembered.

< Message edited by doctorolorinbats1975 -- 26/3/2007 7:06:35 PM >

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to deano19790)
Post #: 8
RE: Gladiator - 28/3/2007 2:17:18 PM   
princessa

I love this movie - it's one of Russell Crowe's best too.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 9
RE: Gladiator - 28/3/2007 5:42:03 PM   
Sphinx

What can I say; finest swan song any actor could hope for (God rest you Ollie) one of only three films where supreme malevolence got sexy (Joaquin is very, very yummy) Best classical Soundtrack I've heard in a very long time. Kudos to Crowe for that self-penned speech about 'his home' it's lovely poetic stuff!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 10
RE: Gladiator - 28/3/2007 8:35:06 PM   
adamdavidsmith

Gladiator is one of those films that only comes along now again. It revived the Epic Genre (if only for a short while) and the careers of its stars: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielson, Djimon Hounsou and a great final role for Oliver Reed. Ridley Scotts greatest achievement next to Alien and Hans Zimmer's greatest score Gladiator is a stunning masterpiece with great action sequences, brilliant performances and one of the greatest films of all time.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 11
RE: Gladiator - 28/3/2007 10:05:20 PM   
coolstar

I dont like the extended version its slows the film down just like scott said

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 12
RE: Gladiator - 29/3/2007 9:50:34 PM   
chrismart83

a great film. i never tire of watching it.

''You'll Never Walk Alone''

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 13
RE: Gladiator - 30/3/2007 11:01:23 AM   
Twinkle

"What we do in life echoes an eternity"

I have to add to the love for Gladiator in this thread.  It's a fantastic film and, as others have said, was soley responsible for reviving a genre that sorely needed reviving (imho).

It just works in every single department.  As an action film it is utterly exhilarating; the fights are brilliantly choregraphed, superbly shot and, most importantly of all, make you want to punch the air and shout "Oooh YEAH, COME ON!" really loudly (especially the double-sworded decapitation - admit it, you wanted to as well ).  But here's the impressive part: it's an action film with a really intelligent, well-conceived script, full of thought-provoking lines that actually move you ("You killed the man who set you free.") 

The acting is fabulous; Crowe is perfect, somehow managing to be hard-assed, stroppy and vengeful whilst remaining noble, respectable and dignified throughout.  His character portrayal is fantastic - who doesn't love Maximus?  He is the stuff of legends, and deserves to be acknowelged as one of the greatest heroes in movie history.  The support isn't half bad either: Reed is emphatic in his swan-song, Harris positively exudes wisdom and sincerity, and even classy Connie Nielson manages to avoid being the stereotypical irritating bit of skirt.  But Phoenix steals the film, giving a camp, spoiled, dirty and, yes, very sexy performance that should have won him the Best Supporting Actor Oscar he so richly deserved.

The costume and set-designs are faultless, and Ridley's direction and artistic vision have never been better.  The cinematography is quite stupidly beautiful, dominated by washed-out, faded tones and a crystal-clear focus.  The mud and grime really evoke the battlefields of Germania, just as the sweat and heat of Morocco and majestic elegance of Rome are successfully conveyed.  Complimenting this perfectly is Hans Zimmer's much copied but never bettered score, alternatively haunting and stirring throughout.

Everything comes together magnificently.  From the opening shots of the robin in the wheatfield, Gladiator oozes quality and never falters.  The story is both epic and timeless, and the themes are as grand as they come.  It's a work of art which deserves its popularity and awards.

(And Sahara Desert think Troy is better )

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to chrismart83)
Post #: 14
RE: Gladiator - 1/4/2007 6:16:39 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

i just love it - i cnt put it any better - its my favourite film of all time.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 15
RE: Gladiator - 1/4/2007 7:59:20 PM   
Axel Foley

I'm sure there was a thread on this elsewhere, but I can't find it now, so what the heck, I'll post some comments again over here. As Timon says:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

What it does do though is return to Big Screen Heroes something that had beem missing for quite a while. Sure the likes of Keanu Reeeves look cool in kevlar with sub machines strapped to them but do they have 'Strength and Honour"? I think not.

This as much as the return of epic, sword and sandals action, is one of the film's great drivers: hero cut from the Joseph Campbell mould, a hardened warrior that the audience can root for. And why would we root for him? Becuase in Russell Crowe's capable hands, Maximus is a well-rounded, real person. His performance traverses a range of emotions and he exudes a magnetism that ensures attention is always on him, even amidst  the Colloseum smackdowns. I especially like the way his relationships are fleshed out: son to patriarchal Emperor Aurelius; one time lover to Lucilla; slave to Proximo; and friend to Juba. These help anchor the film and are all dealt with carefully.

Of coure it is the combat that raises the bar. Ridley Scott constructs an utterly believable milieu in which it takes place and the attention to detail is telling: you will believe a Roman army is battling the Hun or that you are witnessing a re-enaction of the Battle of Carthage. The money shot comes as the camera pans roundthe combatants on there way into the Colloseum. The scale is enormous and the picture one of excitement and colour.

When you throw in hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrards stunning score, this is frankly one of the finest historical epics that has been made. Yes, IMO it can go toe to toe with the likes of Lawrence of Arabia and as David Lean fan, that is something for which Scott would be proud.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Gladiator - 1/4/2007 10:39:46 PM   
MathewRed

DID NOT APPEAL TO ME THAT MUCH IT WAS GOOD IN PLACES !!!!

We're as similar as two dissimilar things in a pod

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 17
RE: Gladiator - 2/4/2007 3:24:47 PM   
livila

This is the first film that I ever saw 5 times at the cinema. It was one of the most exhilerating viewing experiences I've ever had. The thing is it stood up well on repeat viewings. And yes, you rooted for Maximus all the way.
Superb cast, wonderful sets, top notch speacial effects that still look good. It's not perfect, the ending with Proximo and the army would have been cool.

The battle sequence at the beginning is the films crowning glory. Inspired by Wallace Breem's Eagle in the Snow, which although set towards the decline of the Roman Empire a couple of hundred years later, has Maximus the general as the main character. He first starts on Hadrian's Wall then in transfered to keep the Germanian's back in the second half of the book.

(in reply to MathewRed)
Post #: 18
RE: Gladiator - 2/4/2007 9:44:53 PM   
swordsandsandals

best...film...ever.

Why then, was Kingdom of Heaven, just not?

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 19
RE: Gladiator - 2/4/2007 10:27:09 PM   
Twinkle

Orlando Bloom, for one.  Even if he could act well, which he can't, his character lacked the dramatic grit and verve of Maximus.  The story wasn't as engaging, the battle scenes were mainly disappointing (save for the excellent seige of Jerusalem) and the ending wasn't as satisfying.  Gladiator had the epic quality of a myth or a legend, yet was always believable.   KoH was neither epic nor believable, in much part due to Bloom's shit portrayal of Balian, who looked like he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.  The supposed growth of his character was ill-paced and unconvincing.

The script wasn't as good, the acting in general wasn't as good, and the setting wasn't nearly as exciting as a gladitorial arena.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 20
RE: Gladiator - 2/4/2007 10:30:44 PM   
King_Bard

Gladitor is one of me fave films....

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 21
RE: Gladiator - 3/4/2007 1:28:39 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twinkle

Orlando Bloom, for one.† Even if he could act well, which he can't, his character lacked the dramatic grit and verve of Maximus.† The story wasn't as engaging, the battle scenes were mainly disappointing (save for the excellent seige of Jerusalem) and the ending wasn't as satisfying.† Gladiator had the epic quality of a myth or a legend, yet was always believable. † KoH was neither epic nor believable, in much part due to Bloom's shit portrayal of Balian, who looked like he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.† The supposed growth of his character was ill-paced and unconvincing.

The script wasn't as good, the acting in general wasn't as good, and the setting wasn't nearly as exciting as a gladitorial arena.

See the Director's Cut.

Jessica_ca_ca once thought the same as you. The DC changed her mind.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 22
RE: Gladiator - 3/4/2007 1:31:30 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twinkle

Orlando Bloom, for one.  Even if he could act well, which he can't, his character lacked the dramatic grit and verve of Maximus.  The story wasn't as engaging, the battle scenes were mainly disappointing (save for the excellent seige of Jerusalem) and the ending wasn't as satisfying.  Gladiator had the epic quality of a myth or a legend, yet was always believable.   KoH was neither epic nor believable, in much part due to Bloom's shit portrayal of Balian, who looked like he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.  The supposed growth of his character was ill-paced and unconvincing.

See the Director's Cut.

Jessica_ca_ca once thought the same as you. The DC changed her mind.

I knew my ears were burning for a reason

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: Gladiator - 3/4/2007 1:35:12 PM   
Timon

Rumbled!

Just shamelessly trying to convert more people to like KOH:DC.

Oh and go to the Tombstone thread to see what i've just got my mits on.

It's pretty.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 24
RE: Gladiator - 3/4/2007 1:44:40 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

It is pretty, indeed.

Twinkle is right though. Gladiator's still got a different gritty and appealing quality in comparison to KOH. I think it's more to do with Crowe's heavy-weight presence though and the fact that he put the kick back into the blockbuster epic.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: Gladiator - 5/4/2007 1:48:31 AM   
Twinkle

I intend to see the director's cut.  Don't get me wrong; I rather like KoH and own it on dvd. 

But nothing could make it better than Gladiator.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 26
RE: Gladiator - 6/4/2007 10:58:39 AM   
DaveNewman18

Blows me away every time, pure brilliance.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 27
RE: Gladiator - 17/4/2007 12:56:23 PM   
vernk

one of the films you have to see before u die. excellent performances by crowe and phoenix. interesting camera angles. love it.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 28
RE: Gladiator - 17/4/2007 1:19:19 PM   
simonmckergan1

Still up there as one of my fav cinema experiences ever.  Classic film. 

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to vernk)
Post #: 29
RE: Gladiator - 22/11/2007 10:42:40 AM   
Timon

I watched the extended version of this last night. Was struck by the Sir Ridley introduction where he stated this was NOT the Director's Cut so it's clear that the studio added the stuff without his consent.

Still, I think it's decent enough. Didn't slow down the pace which I feared it might and the Gracchus/Lucilia scene is excellent. The main stand out is where Commodus executes two soldiers who failed to report that Maximus' assassins were killed. It's a good scene if it does repeat the score from the 'Am I Not MERCIFUL?' scene. Most of the deleted scenes are now in the film except for a few that didn't work and they gel rather well...namely Maximus walking round the camp in the aftermath of the Germania battle, seeing to his men.

Bit dismayed there was no DTS though.

The documentaries look fantastic though and the set is beautiful. Can't wait to hear the Crowe/Scott commentary. A bargain at £3.99 (HMV.com)

< Message edited by Timon -- 22/11/2007 10:43:03 AM >

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Gladiator Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI