Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

HELLBOY & HELLBOY II

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> HELLBOY & HELLBOY II Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELLBOY & HELLBOY II - 19/3/2007 11:22:16 AM   
Zaphod121

Anybody else love this film, the cheesy one lines, the supercool bad guys and the insanley wicked plot, tell me I'm not alone here.

"Red means stop!"

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 16/6/2012 1:06:24 AM >

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel
Post #: 1
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 12:15:28 PM   
BobM70

Very cool film. I loved it, although before hand I had my doubts. It's clearly a B-type-movie but it's entertaining as Hell!

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 2
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 5:02:44 PM   
mrdoom14

Its one of the worst marvel films I have seen. I found it boring and thought Hellboy was a not a very intresting character.

Last Films I Watched
Tell No One
Hot Fuzz

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 3
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 6:03:00 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrdoom14

Its one of the worst marvel films I have seen. I found it boring and thought Hellboy was a not a very intresting character.

if your gonna say it's crap at least get your facts right, it's not a marvel film, it's based on a Dark Horse comic, sheesh

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 4
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 7:10:47 PM   
Timon

I missed Hellboy at the cinema but the reviews I read were fairly positive citing the films dedication to character above action. Reading this, I decided to get the Director's Cut on DVD so anything I have to say about the film comes from seeing the DC as I never saw the Theatrical Version.

I'd never read the comics but the premise fascinated me. A demon that works and lives with humans battling monsters from Hell. What's not to like? As soon as the film started, I was drawn in. The WWII opening with US GI's storming a Nazi occult ceromony is the kind of thing that would have had me paying for the ticket alone. If they ever make a 'Wolfenstein' film, it should be like that.

The reviews were right, the film does care more about its characters than the action. This is a character piece and the film takes time to establish them and their relationships. Hellboy is your classic anti-hero. While he cares about Liz and his father, he acts like the 'lone gunmen' of so many films. He thinks he's Mad Max, Snake Plisken, The Man With No Name....but with red skin and a fist made of rock and despite his chronological age he has the maturity of the a 17 year old. The arrogance, the self confidence and the cockiness. Plus a hankering for nachos.

For me though, it's Meyers that really sells the film to me and I'm worried to hear he may not be in the sequel. It's through his eyes that we're introduced to this world, the monsters, the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence as well as Hellboy's allies. As Professor Broom says, he's the young knight struggling to prove his worth - a Galahad to Hellboy's cocksure Lancelot. It's also through him that you learn that Hellboy, despite his bravado, cares about his fellow Bureau teammates as he risks life and rocky limb for them as well as mourning their death whenever they die, especially if he's too blame. On top of that, his rebellious streak often distances him from government officials and his father who he clearly loves and respects despite his attitude.

In fact his presence at Broom's funeral, isolated and alone is one of the film's most powerful images especially with the score playing over it as you realise that despite the friends and family he has, he really is alone. The other characters such as Liz and Abe, while interesting in their own way, suffer from having Myers and 'Red' front and centre but hopefully the sequel will them their time to shine.

The bad guys such as Rasputin and co are a tad underwritten. Nazi occult lore and such should be fascinating but their motivations at releasing the monster Gods and such are a tad vague as is them wanting to bring about the end of the world. Del Toro however though throws enough powerful imagery at you to make you forget this and it works to an extent but a rushed final act with a silly CGI monster is some what underwhelming considering what has gone before.

Either way, it's a thoroughly enjoyable film and, from what I've heard, true to the source material so I for one can't wait for a sequel and The Golden Army sounds like it's going to be better than the first.

< Message edited by Timon -- 19/3/2007 8:02:12 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 5
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 8:17:59 PM   
dj vivace

Way over the top, totally cheesey, maybe intentionally crap, and i loved it. A real switch off and just enjoy it for what it is kind of film

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 8:24:24 PM   
Kazuya

HellBoy is a great movie. Made with love and care by Del Toro and with the full co-operation of creator Mignola. That shows.
The film is peppered with suspenseful, well-executed action scenes and boasts a uniformly excellent cast. (Well, almost, the actor who played Myers, the character written in to assume the view of the audience, irritated me.) The effects are also impressive, especially in the fight-scenes between our surly red hero and the demon Samael. The final showdown between HellBoy and the extra-terrestrial god that rips from the body of Rasputin (a superb Karel Roden) is a knock-out.
I was glad to see that even though it didn't exactly rock the house at the box-office, many people still had good enough taste to pick it up on dvd, and as a result the sequel, The Golden Army, has been greenlit. Count me in.
By the way, I recently purchased the animated HellBoy feature Sword Of Storms, I recommend it to any fan of the live-action film as well as the comic.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 7
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 9:40:37 PM   
krudler

quote:

its not a marvel film! this coming from the guy who likes my super ex girlfriend nontheless

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 8
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 10:45:56 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

It's not Marvel comics....

Loved it. Lovingly made by Del Toro, and in a very supernatural, Ghostbusters (kind of) vibe to it, i.e, creepy Monsters. And Selma Blaire is in it...Hubba Hubba!!
Loved Abe Sapien, stunning make up and acted brilliantly, and Hellboy himself was great.

Best line? To Liz -
"I wish I could do something about this...(points to his own face to make us think he's saying he's ugly and he knows it) but I can't.....but I promise you two things....One? Ill always look this good....."

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 19/3/2007 10:49:13 PM >

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 9
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 10:56:16 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

Best line? To Liz -
"I wish I could do something about this...(points to his own face to make us think he's saying he's ugly and he knows it) but I can't.....but I promise you two things....One? Ill always look this good....."

That's a great line, emotional and jovial at the same time.

I also loved that crowd pleaser moment where Hellboy is suddenly ripped away from Liz and Myers by the huge tentacle...
"How big can it be?"

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 10
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:04:07 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

I also loved that crowd pleaser moment where Hellboy is suddenly ripped away from Liz and Myers by the huge tentacle...
"How big can it be?"

That was great!
The one thing that convinced me that so much love went into this movie was watching the DVD extra's when Del Toro is showed a maquette of Abe Sapien and it's such a beautiful sculpt and statue that it makes him cry! Love it when someone is so passionate about the craft that they get like that!

And Abe was cool! It will be interesting to hear how Doug Jones does the voice for the second movie instead of David Hyde Pierce.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 11
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:14:19 PM   
Timon

I was wondering about getting 'Sword of Storms' and Kazuya is convincing me.

The Director's Cut is a beautiful set and Del Toro's enthuiasm and passion is infectious.

Plus while some may consider 'Red''s one-liners cheesey, I love them.

"Hey Myers, you're a talker. What's a good word, a solid word for "need"?"
"Well, "need" is a good, solid word."
"Nah. Too needy."

And how come David Hyde Pierce isn't going to do the vocals for Abe in Hellboy II?

< Message edited by Timon -- 19/3/2007 11:19:37 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 12
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:16:50 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

That was great!
The one thing that convinced me that so much love went into this movie was watching the DVD extra's when Del Toro is showed a maquette of Abe Sapien and it's such a beautiful sculpt and statue that it makes him cry! Love it when someone is so passionate about the craft that they get like that!

And Abe was cool! It will be interesting to hear how Doug Jones does the voice for the second movie instead of David Hyde Pierce.

I agree completely, this is indeed the work of a man who truly loves the source material and his enourmous dedication really shines through in the supplemental material and on the commentary track. I know what you mean about Del Toro's reaction to the Abe Sapien piece, it clearly shows his sincerity. And he was right, the design is quite beautiful and the finished body-suit is perfect. It will be a little strange to see The Golden Army with Doug Jones doing the voice, instead of Hyde-Pierce, but like I mentioned in an earlier post I recently bought the animated Hellboy feature, Sword Of Storms, and Jones did a good job voicing his character in that. Have you seen it yet?

< Message edited by Kazuya -- 19/3/2007 11:17:45 PM >

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 13
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:19:03 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The Director's Cut is a beautiful set and Del Toro's enthuiasm and passion is infectious.

"Nah. Too needy."
And how come David Hyde Pierce is going to do the vocals for Abe in Hellboy II?

Mabey I'm reading you wrong, but he's not

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:19:55 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

And how come David Hyde Pierce is going to do the vocals for Abe in Hellboy II?

Did you mean 'isn't'?

Not sure Timon, but I think he was asked to the re-visit the voice in the Animated movie and he was the only one who declined to pick up his role, all cast members returned to voice their characters except him. Doug Jones then stepped in and voiced Abe in the Animated movie and said that he expects to do the same for Hellboy 2. Apparently he says you can't tell the difference between the Abe voiced by David Hyde Pierce in the original Hellboy movie and Doug Jones himself voicing him in the Animated movie.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:20:11 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

"Nah. Too needy."
And how come David Hyde Pierce isn't  going to do the vocals for Abe in Hellboy II?

I have no idea what you're talking about?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 16
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:23:47 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

quote:

quote:

"Nah. Too needy."
And how come David Hyde Pierce isn't going to do the vocals for Abe in Hellboy II?

You cheacky bastard, Also another Hellboy Animated movie is coming out later this, it's called Blood & Iron, you can Pre-order it here click, I for one will definitly be checking this out (after I've seen Sword of Stroms)

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:24:42 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

It will be a little strange to see The Golden Army with Doug Jones doing the voice, instead of Hyde-Pierce, but like I mentioned in an earlier post I recently bought the animated Hellboy feature, Sword Of Storms, and Jones did a good job voicing his character in that. Have you seen it yet?

I was going to order it on Saturday, but ended up buying The Green Mile and Iron Giant S.E's as they were in a sale!
So I'm waiting until I get paid and then will add it to my collection. You convinced me with your review and I trust your opinion enough Kaz you get it on that recommendation!
Like the idea of the cast, including John Hurt, reprising their roles.

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 19/3/2007 11:25:10 PM >

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 18
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:27:02 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

Well edited Timon!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:28:34 PM   
Zaphod121

I hear that after Blood & Iron comes out, they might do an animated series

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 20
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:29:33 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

Not sure Timon, but I think he was asked to the re-visit the voice in the Animated movie and he was the only one who declined to pick up his role, all cast members returned to voice their characters except him. Doug Jones then stepped in and voiced Abe in the Animated movie and said that he expects to do the same for Hellboy 2. Apparently he says you can't tell the difference between the Abe voiced by David Hyde Pierce in the original Hellboy movie and Doug Jones himself voicing him in the Animated movie.

Exactly, Jones was always meant to voice the role, at least according to himself, and David Hyde Pierce did indeed say that the character was Jones' when asked about the sequel. However, it is not entirely true that you can't tell the difference between their voices in the animated and live-action film, respectively. Hyde-Pierce has a very distinct voice.
But it's of little importance.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 21
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:33:38 PM   
Zaphod121

So Kazuya, Sword of Storms was good?

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 22
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:49:25 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

So Kazuya, Sword of Storms was good?

Yes, it's quite good. The animation is fluid and colourful and sticks very close to Mignola's original comics. The story, involving a heavy dose of samurai lore, is not perfect, but certainly very entertaining. It's a delight to hear the original cast doing their voices for this one as well, somehow it lifts it from the saturday morning cartoon feel of many animated feature films. Although I also took some enjoyment from the recent Ultimate Avengers animated films.

< Message edited by Kazuya -- 19/3/2007 11:50:09 PM >

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 23
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:53:33 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

I was going to order it on Saturday, but ended up buying The Green Mile and Iron Giant S.E's as they were in a sale!
So I'm waiting until I get paid and then will add it to my collection. You convinced me with your review and I trust your opinion enough Kaz you get it on that recommendation!
Like the idea of the cast, including John Hurt, reprising their roles.

That's nice to hear.

Enjoy my friend.

Also, John Hurt is a genius. Utterly fantastic actor.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 24
RE: Hellboy - 19/3/2007 11:59:59 PM   
Cuchulainn

Hellboy is a great film.I too missed this at the cinema,but I really enjoyed it when I finally got to see the DVD...Perlman was great as usual,and Del Toro can really pull out all the stops even on a reasonably limited budget such as he was working with here...This is the difference between someone who knows what they are doing and a hack chancing his arm...Looking forward to Part II... 

< Message edited by Cuchulainn -- 20/3/2007 12:00:58 AM >

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 25
RE: Hellboy - 20/3/2007 12:09:19 AM   
pablohoolio

quote:

However, it is not entirely true that you can't tell the difference between their voices in the animated and live-action film, respectively. Hyde-Pierce has a very distinct voice.

When I read Doug Jones interview I kind of thought that may not be the case and he was exaggerating a touch!
David Hyde Pierce as you say has such a unique voice I think it would be instantly obvious it's not him!

Regarding the original Hellboy movie, one thing that stand's out for me, and with all Del Toro's films, is the use of colour. Loved it, Red (Hellboy), Blue (Abe), Yellow (night time), Greens, Blue again for Liz etc etc. Really well colour coded movie. Also loved Abe's tank and the office where it was based. Beautiful and gave the film a great graphic novel / comic book look.

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 20/3/2007 12:12:48 AM >

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 26
RE: Hellboy - 20/3/2007 12:11:52 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn

Hellboy is a great film.I too missed this at the cinema,but I really enjoyed it when I finally got to see the DVD...Perlman was great as usual,and Del Toro can really pull out all the stops even on a reasonably limited budget such as he was working with here...This is the difference between someone who knows what they are doing and a hack chancing his arm...Looking forward to Part II... 

Absolutely. Just think about how much fucking money Stephen Sommers spent on shit like The Mummy Returns and Van Helsing and then compare it to the quality of Hellboy, made for what, half the budget?

< Message edited by Kazuya -- 20/3/2007 12:12:18 AM >

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 27
RE: Hellboy - 20/3/2007 12:28:22 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

When I read Doug Jones interview I kind of thought that may not be the case and he was exaggerating a touch!
David Hyde Pierce as you say has such a unique voice I think it would be instantly obvious it's not him!

Regarding the original Hellboy movie, one thing that stand's out for me, and with all Del Toro's films, is the use of colour. Loved it, Red (Hellboy), Blue (Abe), Yellow (night time), Greens, Blue again for Liz etc etc. Really well colour coded movie. Also loved Abe's tank and the office where it was based. Beautiful and gave the film a great graphic novel / comic book look.

Indeed, Hyde-Pierce has an immediately recognizable voice. He will always be Niles to me

You're right about the skilled use of colour in Hellboy, moody,rich images abound. That is very much a part of Del Toro's wonderful style of direction, he really is shaping into a master.

And Abe's tank was great . the green eggs were not so cool though..yuck.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 28
RE: Hellboy - 20/3/2007 1:42:07 AM   
Mr Terrific

Slightly but.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svijoQp11TQ

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 29
RE: Hellboy - 20/3/2007 8:56:46 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

I'm a big fan of the movie apart from the rushed ending which is incoherrant at times. But other than the ending the journey to get there is thoroughly enjoyable with great performances throughout

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> HELLBOY & HELLBOY II Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI