Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Alias

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Alias Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alias - 18/3/2007 2:58:55 PM   
kingalan

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT!!!

I did a quick search and it doesn't seem anyone's started a thread on this show yet so...

I bought the R1 Rambaldi box-set at xmas having never seen an episode. I was lured by the glorious packaging and the good things I'd heard about the show. Finished all five seasons last week and thought I'd get the views and opinions of fans on here, whilst giving my own.

Overall I thought it was a great show. Very compulsive, great cast and great writing for the most part. I'd say Season's one and two were the strongest, particularly until the destruction of SD-6/the Alliance. I did feel the show lost some of it's grip once this phase of its narrative ended and the new one began. The early episodes were great because we got to see Sydney juggle her personal and professional lives, the latter including her friend Will who I'd say was one of the best characters early-on and also had possibly the best arc.

I have a lot to say about the show but I'll post more if the thread picks up momentum. So to begin, a basic talking-point; favourite character across the five seasons:

Personally I'd say Jack or Sloane. Both brilliantly ambiguous, cool-as-fuck professionals who for all their similarities, ultimately couldn't be more different. Great ends for both of them aswell.
Post #: 1
RE: Alias - 18/3/2007 5:03:09 PM   
darth silas

loved this show as well.will and francie were bloody annoying though so im glad they wrote them out after a while.marshall was terrific comic relief  especially since he was actually really funny which is not always the case for ''comic relief'' parts in american shows.
sark was a great recurring villain although i found it unbelievable that (SPOILER ALERT) vaughn didnt blow his brains out in the final episode.
mia maestro was the hottest babe on the show imo.
it did get a bit repetitive later on with sloane constantly changing from villain to hero and back umpteen times.
the show pretty much jumped the shark in season 5 and it was probably right for them to end it there and then.
overall though, a very very good show.way better than abrams lost.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 2
RE: Alias - 18/3/2007 5:13:37 PM   
*emz6*

absolutely bloody love it! i used to watched it ages ago when it was first on british tv on channel 4 and then when it moved to channel 5 at like midnight on a sun. I still used to watch it. I know have all the dvds, and i really really love it. And Lost gets all the attention, well this is JJ Abrams best show!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 3
RE: Alias - 18/3/2007 5:32:48 PM   
kingalan

Francie was irritating but I thought Will was great. His sub-plot for Season 1 was great. I'd say the weakest time for Alias was season 4. Story of the week, silly premise (new 'black-ops run by Sloane), Nadia was a dull character and all the 'infected', diluted 28 Days Later shite was terrible.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 4
RE: Alias - 18/3/2007 5:34:49 PM   
Grunny

I love Alias. I enjoy really enjoy all the season but my least being season 4!
I still think the season 2 final has the best TV fight ever!

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 5
RE: Alias - 18/3/2007 7:42:13 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grunny

I love Alias. I enjoy really enjoy all the season but my least being season 4!
I still think the season 2 final has the best TV fight ever!

agreed.that was a fantastic fight.what the hell happened to quentin tarantinos charcter though? last i saw him was in season 3 when he was head of the covenant.i missed a few episodes during seasons 4 and 5 so where did he go?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 6
RE: Alias - 18/3/2007 10:24:02 PM   
buffy

I also really love the show. There is a thread on it somewhere, I remember posting in it ages ago.
My favorite characters were Jack and Marshall. Victor Garber was always brilliant even in the episodes that weren't too great compared to the rest. (season four mostly) I thought the show had a return to form in season five, it was a shame it was canceled like so many other great shows.
My favorite season was season two. Every episode is pitch perfect, I thought it was a very brave decision to change the whole structure of the show mid-season but it was well worth it as the episodes between then and the end of the season are among the best of any show imo.

In every generation there is a chosen one

Member of COBW

Last 5 movies

Airplane 4/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Casanova 3/5
Pirates of The Carribean: At Worlds End 3/5
Alpha Dog 4/5

Post #: 7
RE: Alias - 19/3/2007 12:19:44 AM   
*emz6*

Tarantino wasnt head of the Covenant. Elena Derevko was, she was behind EVERYTHING pretty much.

I quite like season 4 actually, i dont know why it gets so much stick. I know the network forced the writers to make the stories more compact, and just weekly plots, in the hope of attracting new viewers, but i dont think it was a totally wash out. I like seeing more of the character of Sloane just because hes so cool, and being thats its Alias it doesnt really take a lot to suspend your belief and just go with it (that being that he would be given the position he was).

I did start a thread about it a while ago but it has long since dropped of the board.

And i would agree about season 2 being the real stand-out. The addition of Lena Olin to the cast aswell as the almost totally 'turning-on-head' of the show was great.

< Message edited by *emz6* -- 19/3/2007 12:21:57 AM >

(in reply to buffy)
Post #: 8
RE: Alias - 19/3/2007 10:53:48 AM   
keca_2000

I love Alias! I am currently in the process of getting all my friends hooked on it as well  I watched it from the beginning on TV, all the way through until it was on Bravo and our cable box messed up so I had to wait for the dvds! Season 2 is defnitely the best - Five had great potential but due to it being cancelled, felt a little rushed towards the end. There was the odd storyline that was clearly not supposed to end as they did. I agree completely with whoever said about it being an awesome ending for both Sloane and Jack. Really creepy about Sloane though, and the more I think about it, the more horrible an ending it is!

As for a favourite character... I loved Weis! He was awesome! Dixon was great too. Jack was hard as nails in a way you wouldn't expect, and I loved the way the relationship developed between him and Sydney.... Sark was a great addition too, although he became more comedy than anything else towards the end. Irena was great.... you know what, I think I loved all the original characters!

I believe in only using my powers when the situation demands it.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 9
RE: Alias - 19/3/2007 11:52:54 AM   
Grunny

I loved season 3 when Lauren arrives on the scene. oh yea i hated that bitch!!
The scene when Sid confronts Vaughn about how she would have waited and have faith always brings a tear to my eye

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 10
RE: Alias - 19/3/2007 12:30:25 PM   
darth silas

quote:

I loved season 3 when Lauren arrives on the scene. oh yea i hated that bitch!!
The scene when Sid confronts Vaughn about how she would have waited and have faith always brings a tear to my eye
yeah,lauren was a bitch all right,but good god! she was soooooooo freakin hot!!!

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 11
RE: Alias - 20/3/2007 12:52:50 AM   
*emz6*

i lent my mate my season 5 dvd today. Im worried for its well-being.

Post #: 12
RE: Alias - 20/3/2007 12:19:39 PM   
keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: *emz6*

This is why I'm going about converting my mates by buying them a season for their birthdays.... I'm too possessive over mine to lend them out for that long!

I believe in only using my powers when the situation demands it.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 13
RE: Alias - 20/3/2007 12:23:11 PM   
Grunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: *emz6*

This is why I'm going about converting my mates by buying them a season for their birthdays.... I'm too possessive over mine to lend them out for that long!

I really want the ramboldi boxset it's so sexi!!!!!

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 14
RE: Alias - 20/3/2007 2:00:13 PM   
*emz6*

i know i want it to, mainly because it has a special extras dvd which you dont get if you've brought the seasons individually as they have come out. Which annoys me slightly because i have supported the show from the beginning but someone who comes to it late can get the box. I would have to sell all my other dvds and then buy the box set, but i dont really wanna do that because i will then lose the special features on each season set.

I think i just confused myself.

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 15
RE: Alias - 24/3/2007 11:07:01 AM   
kingalan

If anyone's going to buy the rambaldi, DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT!!!...buy the R2 version. It's just a huge, ugly cardboad monstrosity with the roiginal five box sets crammed in. Get the R1. It's glorious.

Back to the discussion, S4 was definitely a lowpoint. It picked up towards the end but then the finale was terrible (except the final minutes which made me so thankful I had he box sets and didn;t have to wait a year for S5).

I thought S5 was great and the final episode was very satisfying all around. The new characters were quite cool too, loved Grace's final moments. Am I right in assuming the idea of carrying on without Jennifer Garner was bandied about at some point? Just seemed the new characters (Rachel in particular) were being 'groomed' as potential replacements arly in the season.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 16
RE: Alias - 24/3/2007 2:49:17 PM   
buffy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

If anyone's going to buy the rambaldi, DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT!!!...buy the R2 version. It's just a huge, ugly cardboad monstrosity with the roiginal five box sets crammed in. Get the R1. It's glorious.

Back to the discussion, S4 was definitely a lowpoint. It picked up towards the end but then the finale was terrible (except the final minutes which made me so thankful I had he box sets and didn;t have to wait a year for S5).

I thought S5 was great and the final episode was very satisfying all around. The new characters were quite cool too, loved Grace's final moments. Am I right in assuming the idea of carrying on without Jennifer Garner was bandied about at some point? Just seemed the new characters (Rachel in particular) were being 'groomed' as potential replacements arly in the season.

I think there was some talk of carrying on without Jennifer, I remember reading something about that. I don't think it would've been very good to be honest.

I liked some of the new characters, Rachel was a bit annoying though. I thought Amy Acker made a good villain, I was glad she stayed till the end of the season. Thomas was a good character as well albeit a bit underused imo.

Member of COBW

Last 5 movies

Airplane 4/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Casanova 3/5
Alpha Dog 4/5

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 17
RE: Alias - 24/3/2007 5:16:17 PM   
darth silas

i dont think the show would have survived without jennifer garner so im glad they ended it with her.i did like rachel though(yummy!).
by the way,what makes the RI rambaldi box better than the R2?

(in reply to buffy)
Post #: 18
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 2:36:39 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

i dont think the show would have survived without jennifer garner so im glad they ended it with her.i did like rachel though(yummy!).

The R2 version is a giant, ugly cardboard box with the rambaldi patterning looking like it's been photocopied on. The lid comes off to reveal....

.... the original five box sets squashed in, haphazardly...

The R1 on the other hand is this marraige-worthy motherfucker:

< Message edited by kingalan -- 25/3/2007 2:41:38 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 2:44:44 PM   
buffy

That does look really cool, I would like to buy it but I already have seasons 1-4 on dvd.
I'm stil waiting for season five to come down in price a bit. Then I'll buy it, if I had plenty of money I'd buy the Rambaldi set.

Member of COBW

Last 5 movies

Airplane 4/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Casanova 3/5
Alpha Dog 4/5

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 20
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 3:05:54 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

The R2 version is a giant, ugly cardboard box with the rambaldi patterning looking like it's been photocopied on. The lid comes off to reveal....

.... the original five box sets squashed in, haphazardly...

The R1 on the other hand is this marraige-worthy motherfucker:

NICE! thanks for the tip.ill definetlely be getting the R1!

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 21
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 3:13:11 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: buffy

That does look really cool, I would like to buy it but I already have seasons 1-4 on dvd.
I'm stil waiting for season five to come down in price a bit. Then I'll buy it, if I had plenty of money I'd buy the Rambaldi set.

If you have a multi region dvd player then CLICK

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to buffy)
Post #: 22
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 4:00:55 PM   
pablohoolio

Without going into spoilers please folks (I'm only half way through series 2! )...
Can anyone tell me why season 4 isn't so good? It's kind of putting me off carrying on watching if season 4 is a bit rubbish! No spoilers please!!

(BTW, I think its a great show so far and I love the slightly paranormal feeling I'm getting about certain things!)

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 23
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 4:13:35 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

Without going into spoilers please folks (I'm only half way through series 2! )...
Can anyone tell me why season 4 isn't so good? It's kind of putting me off carrying on watching if season 4 is a bit rubbish! No spoilers please!!

(BTW, I think its a great show so far and I love the slightly paranormal feeling I'm getting about certain things!)

Without going into detail, it becomes very story-of-the-week and the overall concept isn't very intteresting.

Don't get me wrong, it's still entertaining stuff and I wouldn't for a second recommend you stop watching based on it or anything. It's just uninteresting at times and the weakest of the 5.

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 24
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 5:07:04 PM   
Grunny

quote:

quote:

Without going into detail, it becomes very story-of-the-week and the overall concept isn't very intteresting.

Don't get me wrong, it's still entertaining stuff and I wouldn't for a second recommend you stop watching based on it or anything. It's just uninteresting at times and the weakest of the 5.

I argee Season 4 lacks a strong under current stroy and is very much a "story of the week" but the season finale is awesome  it's not bad TV, it just Alias weak season but very watchable stuff!!

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 25
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 5:11:34 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

quote:

I argee Season 4 lacks a strong under current stroy and is very much a "story of the week" but the season finale is awesome  it's not bad TV, it just Alias weak season but very watchable stuff!!

Thanks both, Ill still be checking it out. I'm using the Boxsets (and Heroes) to get over not being able to watch BSG Season 3 anymore!

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 26
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 5:20:36 PM   
Grunny

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks both, Ill still be checking it out. I'm using the Boxsets (and Heroes) to get over not being able to watch BSG Season 3 anymore!

I'm waiting for the battlestar season 3 boxset as I only got into the show recently and brought the mini series,season 1 and season 2  I ordered west wing season 1 for £9.99 never seen it and that a great price so I may have a new addiction to tie me over until Season 3 comes out on DVD, TV boxsets are like crack!!!!  

Post #: 27
RE: Alias - 25/3/2007 5:31:46 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

TV boxsets are like crack!!!!  

They certainly are! It beats having to sit through ads every 5 minutes (it's one of the things I hate about watching Heroes on TV, ad breaks every 5 minutes! ARG!)

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 28
RE: Alias - 28/3/2007 12:49:17 AM   
Spanish Horse Lover

does anybody knew of a good price for the boxset? i have seen series one but want rest of the show.

cheers s.p.h x

Post #: 29
RE: Alias - 28/3/2007 10:06:55 AM   
*emz6*

play.com brings them down in price now and again so keep an eye out there. If you have a local Asda with a good dvd department you may find them cheap in there, in my local store they are £20 which is as cheap as your gonna get them. Hope this helps a bit. Otherwise try your local HMV or HMV online. The prices are dropped on the sets from time to time so just wait till they fall in price. Theres a website online where you can do a lowest price check for a dvd across a variety of sites so this might help http://www.dvdbargainalerts.co.uk/mxBB/fetchPrices.php?id=mfno1001478  just type in the name for the other seasons. Hope this helps.

(in reply to Spanish Horse Lover)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Alias Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI