Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 13/2/2008 9:46:22 AM   
Vitamin F

CoR (second viewing)...too heavy on the rubbish CGI, too heavy on the crappy dialogue and exposition.
Borefest. It's not the film for me...didn't like it first time round, and still don't.

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 121
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 14/2/2008 9:33:50 AM   
Seth_Gecko

I think this film is pretty dam cool loads of stuff going on spaceships people getting killed expolosions the lot.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 122
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 14/2/2008 9:35:24 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Highcontrast

I think this film is pretty dam cool loads of stuff going on spaceships people getting killed expolosions the lot.

This is the kinda shit we want in movies.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 123
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 14/2/2008 9:36:44 AM   
Seth_Gecko

definatly

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 124
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 14/2/2008 1:23:00 PM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Highcontrast

This is the kinda shit we want in movies.

Seconded!

(Well, sometimes).

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 125
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 4/3/2009 3:04:24 PM   
Timon

I'm resurrecting this bad boy (Mods, feel free to move it to Favorite Films), WHY? Cause I want a third Riddick movie. And Vin needs a hit....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 126
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 3:40:36 PM   
FGT

Love it....Necromongers..bloody silly name but those chaps know how to invade, subjugate and destroy planets and they do look good. Of course it's not perfect but at least it tried to make an adult sci-fi film. I'd like the third one to be made as well....What is the Underverse like? Why are Furians such narky swines? Elementals...futuristic hippies or evil schemers up to no good?

What would Dexter do?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 127
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 3:48:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I should've loved this movie. It has its moments but i dont think that David Twohy is very good at action. I appreciate that maybe the movie didnt have the budget that something of this scale requires so i can forgive some of the CG work. It tries very hard to set up its own universie and world, but most of the time it just sounds kinda silly. I think the costume design and makeup with the villains is absolutely dire too. It also feels too claustrophobic (despite aiming for huge scope), which is obviously a case of it being a totally set bound production.

I'm not really a fan of Pitch Black either unfortunately, although i do prefer Chronicles.

On an unrelated note Twohy and the female actress (the one from Defiance) come across as idiots in the commentary.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to FGT)
Post #: 128
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 6:38:26 PM   
krudler

The line "Today we lost the Purifier!" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, it might only be in the DC but it sounds like the head Necromonger is lamenting the loss of his favourite kitchen appliance

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 129
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 6:43:32 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

THE FURION WAY, THE FURION WAY

oh and another classic:

"THRESHOLD, TAKE US TO THE THRESHOLD" Chanted in unison by about 100 badly dressed soldiers. I mean i like cheese but come on.....

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 130
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 6:46:58 PM   
kenada_woo

I think the editing in the fight on Furia is very original but does walk the line between MTV pop-fart and great flowing action.  It works great.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 131
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 7:52:45 PM   
gunstar

Best Sci-Fi of the 00's. Absolutely brilliant.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 132
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 8:43:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

I bought the Directors Cut recently and was surpirsed by how much I enjoyed it.

Its like something Edgar Rice Burroughs would have written.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 133
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 5/3/2009 9:11:50 PM   
Scott_

Riddicks a great character and suits Diesel perfectly and I would love to see a third entry in the franchise.

Chronicles of Riddick is a great bit of Sci Fi despite the fact I don't like the whole Necromongers angle. Maybe it was the silly costumes? Riddick belongs in a darker world but thats just my personal preference.

< Message edited by Scott_ -- 5/3/2009 9:13:17 PM >

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 134
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 6/3/2009 3:41:50 PM   
steflon

i really like chronicles, i never got the whole 'hate it cos its not as good as PB' thing
its a completely different style of film, theres loads more characters and storylines, loads more action, its like taking john mcclane out of the city an puttin him in the jungle to fight predator, i really like the fact that it takes place in totally different surroundings and see's how Riddick responds to a different type of threat.

and i would love to see a continuation of the story 

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 135
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 7/3/2009 4:25:46 PM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I saw this on DVD a while back and I remember nothing about it.

That says it all.

Does it? or does it say you were baked at the time?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 136
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 7/3/2009 6:57:57 PM   
thepluginbaby

I loved Pitch Black but the second film was a bit meh, for me, a bit too much like the matrix ('He's beginning to believe...').  Both films pale in comparison to the game however!  Where Riddick is more noticeably kept a suitably black shade of antihero.  New game is coming out soon!  rejoice! REJOICE! 

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to genejoke)
Post #: 137
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 7/3/2009 7:51:42 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I too never understood the bashing the film got. I really enjoyed it, not as much as the first film but it was a film where you can leave your brain at the door and just enjoy whats on screen. I especially love the scene where they are running away from the suns harmful rays.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 138
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 7/3/2009 8:02:42 PM   
pablohoolio

As this thread has reared it's head again (cheers Timon! ), I'll just say that it was a valiant attempt at creating pure sci-fi, that didn't quite come off but wasn't anywhere near as abysmal as people thought. It was just TOO different to Pitch Black and it put a lot of people off.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 139
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 7/3/2009 8:11:05 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

'll just say that it was a valiant attempt at creating pure sci-fi, that didn't quite come off but wasn't anywhere near as abysmal as people thought. It was just TOO different to Pitch Black and it put a lot of people off.

I'll agree with that.  The film was'nt brilliant, but it was enjoyable and I liked the way it opened up the universe Riddick lives in. Not everything worked. But a good effort. Yes, a very different film to Pitch black and it seemed Riddick was getting soft in his old age.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 140
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 7/3/2009 8:18:04 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

quote:

'll just say that it was a valiant attempt at creating pure sci-fi, that didn't quite come off but wasn't anywhere near as abysmal as people thought. It was just TOO different to Pitch Black and it put a lot of people off.

I'll agree with that.  The film was'nt brilliant, but it was enjoyable and I liked the way it opened up the universe Riddick lives in. Not everything worked. But a good effort. Yes, a very different film to Pitch black and it seemed Riddick was getting soft in his old age.

Hey Mr T. Good to be back around!
I think that's what made the XBox game so good, it kept the Pitch Black version of Riddick, the anti-hero rather than mystical hero.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 141
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 8/3/2009 2:08:34 PM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

quote:

Hey Mr T. Good to be back around!
I think that's what made the XBox game so good, it kept the Pitch Black version of Riddick, the anti-hero rather than mystical hero.

Dunno I liked CoR because although the setting had altered the character was pretty much intact, but the game did have a feel much more true to pitch black,  looking forward to the new one.

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 142
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 8/3/2009 6:15:33 PM   
i stole your car

After pitch black?

No fucking way.

(in reply to genejoke)
Post #: 143
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - 14/4/2009 3:25:52 PM   
Timon

Seeing as Fast and the Furious just made bucket loads of cash, this is an opportunity for Diesel to get a third Riddick film made or get on with his passion project - Hannibal (Barca).

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to i stole your car)
Post #: 144
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - 14/4/2009 3:34:00 PM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Seeing as Fast and the Furious just made bucket loads of cash, this is an opportunity for Diesel to get a third Riddick film made or get on with his passion project - Hannibal (Barca).

I think I have a solution to CoR

film 3,
it turns out the whole of CoR was a mad fantasy by jack the girl/boy from pitch black.  words of riddicks action spread the universe while he is in hiding he resurfaces to find he is the laughing stock of the universe and has to go on a killing spree to get his reputation back.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 145
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - 14/4/2009 9:15:52 PM   
rwillis122

It's nice to hear that a quite a few people were liking The Chronicles of Riddick. After reading Empire's review at the time I expected the worst, but I enjoyed Pitch Black so much I thought I'd give it a go. I did'nt think it was at all bad; the only real weak point(s) were the necromongers as bad guys. I did'nt think they carried much weight or as they say "gravitas". Apart from that though not bad at all. I watched Pitch Black in hi-def last night again( well worth the re-purchase) and have to say that Twohy dissappeared up his own arse on the extras. Maybe the self indulgence was felt a little in the sequel.
Anyway, I'd be up for a another two.

"Put that coffee DOWN!!!!!"

(in reply to genejoke)
Post #: 146
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - 14/4/2009 9:24:18 PM   
Tech_Noir

I do admire the fact Twohy managed to write and direct an original science fiction film. He just got a tad over amibitious, the film felt like it was assuming there's be another one to continue the story.

(in reply to rwillis122)
Post #: 147
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - 14/4/2009 9:29:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

I will welcome a new Riddick film. It doesn't even need to be connected with the last one. Just have him kicking ass.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 148
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - 14/4/2009 9:45:00 PM   
Tech_Noir

Considering how the last one ended I don't see them starting from scratch.

Unless they do a (sigh) prequel.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 149
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - 14/4/2009 9:49:34 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Considering how the last one ended I don't see them starting from scratch.

Unless they do a (sigh) prequel.

I dunno  - start the film with the Necromongers throwing him off the ship. Same shit, different day type deal.

Or just have an adventure - no need to call it a sequel or prequel. Just another Riddick film.

Anyone see the animated film? Any good?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI