Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 9:57:32 PM   
Twinkle

I caught the last 10 minutes or so of this on Saturday night.  It was dire, like one of those daft futuristic sci-fi shows that the Americans churn out with alarming regularity.  Judi, what the hell were you thinking?

Pitch Black, though, is a very decent little film.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 61
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:03:36 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twinkle
I caught the last 10 minutes or so of this on Saturday night.  It was dire, like one of those daft futuristic sci-fi shows that the Americans churn out with alarming regularity.  Judi, what the hell were you thinking?

Do you usually judge entire movies on seeing the last ten minutes?

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 62
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:05:50 PM   
Twinkle

If the last ten minutes sucks as bad as Chronicles of Riddick, then yes.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 63
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:08:07 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

If the last ten minutes sucks as bad as Chronicles of Riddick, then yes.

Not sure how the last ten minutes 'sucked' so much? What was it that you felt was awful?

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 64
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:33:17 PM   
Twinkle

Erm, okay. 

1) The cheap sci-fi Deep Space Nine-type tone was crap, especially as it presumably cost an arm and a leg to make.
2) The effects looked crap, especially the manny who was seemingly moving in more than one direction at a time.
3) That manny was also crap, and annoying.
4) The costume design and make-up was crap.  Judi Dench looked like Gandalf after a botched gender reassignment.  Thandie Newton was wearing silver lipstick.  The rest looked like rednecks who had mated with armidillos.
5) The weapons looked ridiculous.  And crap
6) So did the set
7) The fight was crap.
8) The final line was crap - "You keep what you win" or some such guff, cue hordes of redneck armidillos bowing towards the blind one.
9) Vin Diesel was the best thing about it.
10) All of the above gave me absolutely no desire to see the rest of the film.

In Thom We Trust

Post #: 65
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:47:06 PM   
krudler

quote:

Erm, okay. 

1) The cheap sci-fi Deep Space Nine-type tone was crap, especially as it presumably cost an arm and a leg to make.
2) The effects looked crap, especially the manny who was seemingly moving in more than one direction at a time.
4) The costume design and make-up was crap.  Judi Dench looked like Gandalf after a botched gender reassignment.  Thandie Newton was wearing silver lipstick.  The rest looked like rednecks who had mated with armidillos.
6) So did the set
7) The fight was crap.
8) The final line was crap - "You keep what you win" or some such guff, cue hordes of redneck armidillos bowing towards the blind one.

if you'd watched the rest of the movie that would have made sense, seriously how can you watch 10 out of context minutes and dismiss a movie straight away,with that reasoning star wars is shit if you watch the cantina scene

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 66
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:55:27 PM   
Twinkle

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

Erm, okay. 

6) So did the set
7) The fight was crap.

if you'd watched the rest of the movie that would have made sense, seriously how can you watch 10 out of context minutes and dismiss a movie straight away,with that reasoning star wars is shit if you watch the cantina scene

I realise that line must have some sort of relevance, but it doesn't mean if I watch the rest of the film I'm suddenly going to think it's genius.

Look, usually I would agree with you - I'm not one who would normally dismiss a film so readily - but I thought what I saw was crap.  Why then watch the rest of the film?  I already know what happens at the end.  I'd rather spend two hours watching something I might enjoy.

Oh, and no part of Star Wars is shit.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 67
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 12:08:48 AM   
pablohoolio

quote:

Erm, okay. 

6) So did the set
7) The fight was crap.

Wow. All that after only 10 mins?

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 68
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 12:15:14 AM   
pablohoolio

quote:

I realise that line must have some sort of relevance, but it doesn't mean if I watch the rest of the film I'm suddenly going to think it's genius.

Well, Krudler didn't say you would, he simply said that watching 10 minutes is hardly a basis to judge an entire movie.

quote:

Why then watch the rest of the film? I already know what happens at the end. I'd rather spend two hours watching something I might enjoy.

Is that the most illogical reason to not watch a movie ever? Who in their right mind willingly watches the last 10 minutes, then says 'well now there's no point in me watching the rest'?!

quote:

Oh, and no part of Star Wars is shit.

But Krudler has a point. If you tuned into Star Wars, and watched the Cantina Scene only without ever having seen the whole movie, then you wouldn't really think 'this is BRILLIANT!'

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 28/1/2008 12:18:58 AM >

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 69
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 8:48:54 AM   
JagLover

COR had some decent action scenes and special effects and Vin Diesel was convincing as the 'bad-ass' central character, so I would give this 3 stars.

However the script was very poor at times. Pitch Black was a 'realistic' sci-fi movie this was the complete opposite. There are numerous plot holes put in seemingly on the basis of what would look cool rather than make sense.

Just a few off the top of my head

1. How can a group of people scrambling up and down ravines outrun another group running along a flat walkway?

2. How is there a breathable atmosphere in a world 'cremated' by it's sun.

3. Why bother to go to all the expense of transporting prisoners to this world and then have them randomly eaten by some strange creatures.

< Message edited by JagLover -- 28/1/2008 8:50:52 AM >

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 70
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 9:38:27 AM   
hawkeye10

COR felt like a sincere stab by Vin Diesel to start a new mythological franchise and etch himself out as a sort of legendary character like Han Solo and Indiana Jones.

BUT he forgets that they weren't instant legends at the time of release, and that it took years to build up that status pre-internet.

Someone pointed out earlier that the special effects is crap, but I disagree. Seeing that were dealing with characters here that doesn't have the love of Star Wars or LOTR, the budget and effects are quite impressive. The thing is that the story and mythology feels forced and screaming,"I am worthy!"

Making Riddick the last of a legendary race only demystifies this lone avenger from Pitch Black. Maybe the next time the film-makers should take a more relaxed approach and not forcefeed the space babble down our throats.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 71
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 9:50:13 AM   
Timon

There are some good points especially Monkeyfish's comments about this new supernatural world after the grittiness of Pitch Black but the thing is......I like Vin Diesel.

Say what you like about his acting but he has a natural charisma and it's just a shame it's wasted in pap like The Pacifier.

That's why I'm looking forward to Babylon AD and hoping his Hannibal film gets off the ground one day.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 72
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 9:58:24 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

There are some good points especially Monkeyfish's comments about this new supernatural world after the grittiness of Pitch Black but the thing is......I like Vin Diesel.

Say what you like about his acting but he has a natural charisma and it's just a shame it's wasted in pap like The Pacifier.

That's why I'm looking forward to Babylon AD and hoping his Hannibal film gets off the ground one day.

I completely agree, I even watched The Pacifier and it wasn't too bad for kid's film. No worse than shit like Cheaper than the Dozen and Ice Cube's efforts.

I too look forward to Babylon AD,  he really needs a decent film now to put him back on the radar. He's been talking abotu Hannibal for ages, I dunno if that will ever happen.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 73
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 10:47:17 AM   
paulyboy

I like it, always have. It's bloated admitadley, with it's fair share of clunky dialogue and the occasional ropey effect but otherwise I think it's an enjoyable romp, no thanks in large part to Diesel who was born to play the part. For the gamers amongst you with a PC, Xbox or Xbox 360 who enjoyed Pitch Black and/or Chronicles it's well worth picking up Escape From Butcher Bay. Aside from being one of the best games in recent memory it's got a fantastic story (written by Thowy) behind it that expands on Riddick universe, shedding light on his origins and ablities even further.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 74
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 5:31:05 PM   
krudler

has anyone played the Riddick game on xbox or pc? Escape from butcher Bay, if you havent do, you can pick it up for nothing now and its fucking fantastic, its what the Chronicles movie should have been, still in the Pitch Black sci fi universe not the overblown COR one, the graphics for its time were incredible and its soon getting a ps3/360 rerelease and makeover, well worth checking out one of the best movie games ever made

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 75
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 7:33:21 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

Erm, okay. 

6) So did the set
7) The fight was crap.

And I bet you loved Serenity

*runs away sticking his middle finger in the air shouting "catch me, fanboy!"*

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 76
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 8:42:06 PM   
Twinkle

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio
quote:

Why then watch the rest of the film? I already know what happens at the end. I'd rather spend two hours watching something I might enjoy.

Is that the most illogical reason to not watch a movie ever? Who in their right mind willingly watches the last 10 minutes, then says 'well now there's no point in me watching the rest'?!

Would it be more logical to go out of my way to watch the rest of a film that I've seen part of and didn't like?

I don't know about you, but I don't have as much free time to watch films as I'd like and I'd rather spend that time watching something I think I'll enjoy.  I'm not sure why I'm even having to defend myself here - I saw part of the film and didn't like it.  It wasn't my cup of tea, as they say.  Therefore I'm not going to go out of my way to watch the rest.  Seems logical enough to me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

And I bet you loved Serenity

*runs away sticking his middle finger in the air shouting "catch me, fanboy!"*

I've never seen Serenity, so that one goes over my head, I'm afraid.

In Thom We Trust

Post #: 77
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 9:33:57 PM   
Sphinx

This is a guilty pleasure of mine, I like it, it's daft but I like it. Thandie Newton did an overwrought Lady Macbeth but at least she wasn't fading into the background.......

If after all this time of not dealing with the Riddick/kyra momentum so help me....... 

Like it or not, it's diesel's niche now

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 78
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 28/1/2008 10:24:14 PM   
Biggus

The Chronicles of Riddck is definitely misunderstood. It thinks it's a good film.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 79
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 12:14:17 AM   
jenzie

yes, i also watched it ..... for the first time ..... on ITV!!

enjoyed it greatly ..... except for the BIZARRE CHILDLIKE CUTTING to the adverts

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 80
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 9:04:18 AM   
jeemer

quote:

Would it be more logical to go out of my way to watch the rest of a film that I've seen part of and didn't like?

What I want to know is, what kind of  film fan watches the last ten minutes of a movie he's never seen before? What if it turned out to be amazing? You'd have just ruined the climax for yourself. I really don't understand that.

I'm pretty sure from your tone you'd made up your mind about this movie before seeing it, you wouldn't have had such an extensive list from ten minutes at the end unless you'd sat down and been all "oh its this crap, go on then, impress me" which imo is the wrong attitude to watch any movie with.

I also love how you wouldn't have a thing said about star wars, I'm a massive star wars fan but to essentially say it has no flaws is really pushing it.

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 81
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 1:54:20 PM   
Twinkle

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeemer

What I want to know is, what kind of  film fan watches the last ten minutes of a movie he's never seen before? What if it turned out to be amazing? You'd have just ruined the climax for yourself. I really don't understand that.

I'm pretty sure from your tone you'd made up your mind about this movie before seeing it, you wouldn't have had such an extensive list from ten minutes at the end unless you'd sat down and been all "oh its this crap, go on then, impress me" which imo is the wrong attitude to watch any movie with.

What I want to know is, how can someone criticise me for being judgemental while disparaging my merit as a "film fan" in the same breath?!  You, jeemer, know nothing about me.  How dare you.

So I watched the climax of a film instead of the entire thing, BIG DEAL.  I suppose you have only ever watched films in their entirety, perhaps with dimmed lights, a notepad, and a little ceremony beforehand to commemorate the occasion?  Well bully for you.  Don't dare suggest that I'm not a "film fan" because I happened to watch the end of The Chronicles of Riddick on a Saturday night.  Had it been the end of Citizen Kane I had watched - and it wasn't - that would still be a very harsh pronouncement indeed.

I had no preconception of the film at all, beyond having watched Pitch Black and thinking it was rather good.  In fact, it was the complete and unfavourable shift in tone from Pitch Black that was the main factor in my disappointment.  I have watched enough films, and enough bad fims, to be able to judge the mood of a piece, and I deemed this film to be crud.  It seems I'm not alone either - insert any review of the film here - although I have clearly stumbled across a convention of Riddick fans here. 

So I insulted the film, whoop-de-do.  Jesus Christ, get over it.  I am allowed to hold an opinion, even if it a) doesn't agree with your own; and b) wasn't gained by the same means as your own.

And by the way, it's she.  

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to jeemer)
Post #: 82
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 3:00:28 PM   
discodave101

Definitely misunderstood. I remember when it was released, I watched it expecting the worse - but was pleasantly surprised.

As for Twinkle, mate, no matter how much you try and argue your points for hating the film, no-one is ever going to accept or take serious the opinion of someone who only watched the last 10 minutes. Surely you can see why people have given you a little flack for that!? If not, you're a bit deluded pal.

If you really have so little free time (as you've stated), then maybe you should stick to giving your opinions on films where you HAVE actually seen the full thing from start to finish, rather than wasting your valuable free time posting here about a film you haven't actually seen properly.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 83
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 3:25:23 PM   
dracovir

Dammit Disco that av...it's so...hypnotic...

Twinkle you're entitled to your opinions, for sure.  But please give the film a chance, watch it from the start sometime, maybe next time its on the telly, and judge the film then.  It's like me raving about Cloverfield having only watched that 5-minute widget (am staying away from the review til I've seen it entirely).  What sort of judgement would someone get from Apocalypse Now Redux if they turned it on in the plantation scene, having never seen it before, then turn it off after a few minutes, thus missing an otherwise top film?  Most films have off parts - truth.  But of course you'd be lost in only watching the ending, whereby you would not have much clue as to what's going on - this is true for any film pretty much.

But, it's your choice, hate it if you want, but be aware you are hating it for the wrong reasons   It is a little crappy, but it's fun crappy, I liked it.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 84
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 3:39:58 PM   
jeemer

quote:

What I want to know is, how can someone criticise me for being judgemental while disparaging my merit as a "film fan" in the same breath?!  You, jeemer, know nothing about me.  How dare you.

How dare I? Jesus, I've never known a forum where people take offhand comments more seriously. I don't claim to know anything about you, but I assume that you consider yourself a bit of a film fan, you know, since you're posting on the Empire message board? I wasn't criticising you being judgemental, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you didn't exactly set yourself up for a great movie experience by watching the last ten minutes of a film.

quote:

I suppose you have only ever watched films in their entirety, perhaps with dimmed lights, a notepad, and a little ceremony beforehand to commemorate the occasion?  Well bully for you.  Don't dare suggest that I'm not a "film fan" because I happened to watch the end of The Chronicles of Riddick on a Saturday night.  Had it been the end of Citizen Kane I had watched - and it wasn't - that would still be a very harsh pronouncement indeed.

Firstly, no. I never watch films with a critical eye because I find it takes away from the main focus of the medium (from my point of view); entertainment and escapism. Bully for me? Is this the 40s? I didn't suggest you weren't a film fan, I asked what kind of film fan does that. I was genuinely wondering where you were coming from, if it had been the best sci-fi ever you would have lost something there, so it puzzles me why someone would watch the last ten minutes of a film they hadn't seen before.

quote:

I had no preconception of the film at all, beyond having watched Pitch Black and thinking it was rather good.  In fact, it was the complete and unfavourable shift in tone from Pitch Black that was the main factor in my disappointment.  I have watched enough films, and enough bad fims, to be able to judge the mood of a piece, and I deemed this film to be crud.  It seems I'm not alone either - insert any review of the film here - although I have clearly stumbled across a convention of Riddick fans here. 

So you thought Pitch Black was rather good, and so you decided to watch the last ten minutes of the sequel? This is the sort of thing I was trying to get my head around. And you've hardly come across a convention of Riddick fans, but I hate this preconception in any film related discussion that people have to be into critically pulling apart cinematic masterpieces, or solely into no brainer popcorn-fests. Why can't people enjoy both? People who are blindly of either persuasion really wind me up. Riddick was a harmless scifi actioner. It's hardly one of my favourite films.

quote:

So I insulted the film, whoop-de-do.  Jesus Christ, get over it.  I am allowed to hold an opinion, even if it a) doesn't agree with your own; and b) wasn't gained by the same means as your own.

It wasn't that you insulted the film. It wasn't that your opinion isn't the same as mine. It's that you barely gave the film a chance and tried to tear it apart based on 10 minutes watched out of context.

She? Well woop-de-do, bully for you!

Maybe I need to start bolding bits of my posts where I'm saying things like "I wonder" and "personal opinion" and add IMO to every line, and add a personal disclaimer to every post I make saying that the post contains my own personal thoughts and that it doesn't reflect the opinions of the Empire staff in any way, because apparently everyone else is allowed to voice their own opinions on a public forum, but when I do they try to descend on me and tear me apart .. for errr.. having my own questions and opinions? I was in no way rude to you and you've gone on a complete rant at me.

< Message edited by jeemer -- 29/1/2008 3:44:43 PM >

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 85
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 4:38:10 PM   
discodave101

quote:

quote:

How dare I? Jesus, I've never known a forum where people take offhand comments more seriously. I don't claim to know anything about you, but I assume that you consider yourself a bit of a film fan, you know, since you're posting on the Empire message board? I wasn't criticising you being judgemental, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you didn't exactly set yourself up for a great movie experience by watching the last ten minutes of a film.

quote:

I suppose you have only ever watched films in their entirety, perhaps with dimmed lights, a notepad, and a little ceremony beforehand to commemorate the occasion?  Well bully for you.  Don't dare suggest that I'm not a "film fan" because I happened to watch the end of The Chronicles of Riddick on a Saturday night.  Had it been the end of Citizen Kane I had watched - and it wasn't - that would still be a very harsh pronouncement indeed.

Firstly, no. I never watch films with a critical eye because I find it takes away from the main focus of the medium (from my point of view); entertainment and escapism. Bully for me? Is this the 40s? I didn't suggest you weren't a film fan, I asked what kind of film fan does that. I was genuinely wondering where you were coming from, if it had been the best sci-fi ever you would have lost something there, so it puzzles me why someone would watch the last ten minutes of a film they hadn't seen before.

quote:

So you thought Pitch Black was rather good, and so you decided to watch the last ten minutes of the sequel? This is the sort of thing I was trying to get my head around. And you've hardly come across a convention of Riddick fans, but I hate this preconception in any film related discussion that people have to be into critically pulling apart cinematic masterpieces, or solely into no brainer popcorn-fests. Why can't people enjoy both? People who are blindly of either persuasion really wind me up. Riddick was a harmless scifi actioner. It's hardly one of my favourite films.

quote:

It wasn't that you insulted the film. It wasn't that your opinion isn't the same as mine. It's that you barely gave the film a chance and tried to tear it apart based on 10 minutes watched out of context.

She? Well woop-de-do, bully for you!

Maybe I need to start bolding bits of my posts where I'm saying things like "I wonder" and "personal opinion" and add IMO to every line, and add a personal disclaimer to every post I make saying that the post contains my own personal thoughts and that it doesn't reflect the opinions of the Empire staff in any way, because apparently everyone else is allowed to voice their own opinions on a public forum, but when I do they try to descend on me and tear me apart .. for errr.. having my own questions and opinions? I was in no way rude to you and you've gone on a complete rant at me.

Nice retort Jeemer.

Anyway, I must rush. I'm on court duty, but I'm just gonna catch the last 10 mins of the action then put forward my 'Guilty' verdict.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to jeemer)
Post #: 86
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 29/1/2008 9:41:29 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

quote:

Er, chill out? This thread was ok until you started getting massivley offended by everything....

Instead of getting so offended and hugely over the top about what Jeemer wrote ( ) why not just see he was simply pointing out that someone who watches the last ten minutes of a movie they havn't seen before and then says 'now the rest of the movie is ruined, why watch it?' is acting a little, er, odd? Thats all that was being pointed out and it's a fair point. No-one cares if you liked the film or not.

Disregarding the fact you didn't like the look of it, watching the last ten minutes and then saying 'why would I watch it all, I've already seen the last ten minutes' is just odd. And basing a review on ten minutes is just odd too.

Like jeemer said, it's the same logic as saying I liked Batman Begins a lot but I'm not going to watch The Dark Knight but may catch the last ten minutes and base my judgement on that. It's just daft, and a fair point. Why get so offended? Jeez...

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 29/1/2008 9:48:43 PM >

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 87
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 30/1/2008 2:02:11 PM   
Twinkle

Okay.

First of all, I'd like to direct you all to my first post:

quote:

You'll notice that I make no attempt to analyse the whole film.  I merely comment on what I saw.  I only detailed what I didn't like about the film when pablohoolio asked me to.  I didn't thunder into this thread and rip Riddick apart on the basis of ten minutes, so please bear that in mind.

Jeemer, okay I took offence and probably shouldn't have been so touchy, but the comment "what sort of film fan..." riled me.  And I've got PMS .  Have none of you gone out on a Saturday night, come in a little worse for wear and watched the end of whatever film was on the telly?!  Because I refuse to believe it's just me that does that.  Now, I wasn't anti-Riddick before watching it, but it also wasn't a film about which I'd thought, "Oh, I must watch that."  Hence why I was content to watch the end in a slightly boozey haze. 

I stand by my assessment of what I saw.  I didn't like it.  Perhaps I shouldn't have voiced off about it quite so vehemently but I honestly didn't think anyone would get offended by it.  I'm hardly the first person to call the film shit, after all.

Now can we, er, drop it?

quote:

Anyway, I must rush. I'm on court duty, but I'm just gonna catch the last 10 mins of the action then put forward my 'Guilty' verdict.

Oh Lord...

In Thom We Trust

Post #: 88
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 30/1/2008 2:33:59 PM   
hawkeye10

SOOooooo...that Riddick film...something else, wasn't it?

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 89
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 31/1/2008 11:11:33 AM   
Beno

Am a massive Sci-fi fan so when it first came out i saw the reviews and kept away . Then it came on Sky and tried to watch it but got bored after bout half an hour . Cos Sky show movies to death tried watching it again a week or so later but again it couldnt hold my interest .
But its showing recently again on TV was strangely different , i found it mildly entertaining and i watched the whole shebang . Also , funny thing , at the end i wondered what would have happened if they had made another and would they have tried to improve on certain things ..... funny movie this ... its almost like it grew on me a bit but i still see its shortcomings ...weird !!

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI