Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 18/3/2007 5:09:29 PM   
justified by grace

quote:

ORIGINAL: hozay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oddboy

Sci-fi should be overblown, hard to understand and packed to the flux capacitor full of silly names and pointy ears!
The key world we are looking for here is ...FUN!
Who cares if it doesn't make sense?
Who cares if the beginning of the prequal doesn't match up to the end of the sequal?
Pitch Black was an awsome film. Chronicles was an enjoyable film. Both films made you forget the grind that is 'real life' for two hours.
Isn't that the point?

Yes.Yes it is,especially with sci-fi,it's as escapist as you can get.As far as escapist fantasy goes I'd much rather watch this
than something like Pirates of the Carribean.
I love my sci-fi and I loved Riddick.Great cast,excellent costumes,silly names,over-the-top hero,Shakespearian references
and the amazing Thandie Newton.Great stuff!!One of the few films where the CGI was a worthy addition to the spectacle.
I never listen to the critics when it comes to sci-fi because they inevitably rip into it,especially sequels and it's obvious most
of them just don't like Vin Diesel.
This is exactly what I want from my sci-fi,some reluctant galactic hero zapping around the universe taking on the bad guys,
epic shit with lots of strange planets and space ships and alien beasties.Makes a welcome change from hapless,doomed
alien invasion of Earth stories with virtually the same endings.
Bring on more Riddick sequels.

I completely agree, except films like Pirates of the Caribbean, Independence Day and War of the Worlds are great in their own right.

Megamind ****
The King’s Speech ****½
Despicable Me ****½
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole ***½
A Serious Man ****
Lars and the Real Girl ***½
Lourdes **
The Return ***½
Doubt ***½
Star Trek: Nemesis ****

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 31
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 18/3/2007 5:13:01 PM   
Daniel Kelly

Pitch Black = well made, kinda scary and ultimately enjoyable monster movie.
COR = good looking but rather dull and boring withn a story taking itself way to seriously.

www.danlandmovvies.blogspot.com

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 32
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 18/3/2007 5:26:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

Reminded me of Lynchs Dune. Lot of good stuff, but it never really gelled, it felt like we were watching two different films stuck together. The prison stuff and the more epic story would have made very good films on there own but what we got was a bit of mess, but still - doubt we are going to see space opera epics like this for a long time now that Star Wars is done.

Did love the final shot of Riddick on the throne though - very Conan.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Daniel Kelly)
Post #: 33
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 19/3/2007 1:08:28 AM   
Mojo

Its a great, overblown and suitibly epic space opera. Will be picking up the Director's Cut soon, as I've not seen it yet.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 19/3/2007 1:52:35 AM   
barnaby jones

Chronicles was shite and so was Pitch Black come to think of it. The pacifier, now thats a good Diesel film !

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 35
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 19/3/2007 2:18:03 AM   
AndyR

From what I remember of the film, the chasing Riddick in the snow bit was great, and the scenes in the prison were good, but the rest, it was just silly. Silly, silly, sillly. I mean, Necromongers? For fuck's sake.

< Message edited by AndyR -- 19/3/2007 2:23:47 AM >

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

(in reply to barnaby jones)
Post #: 36
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 19/3/2007 12:38:13 PM   
KennyM

I liked it. I'm a sucker for cheesy sci-fi! Good Conan style ending I thought, doubt we'll ever see a third Riddick movie though.

(in reply to AndyR)
Post #: 37
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 19/3/2007 3:09:43 PM   
Don_a_van

Don't understand the hate either to be honest.  Plot was a bit shaky but a good portrail by Van Diesel of one of the best action characters to ever grace a screen.  The "cup" scene tells you all you need to know about the bad-ass that is Riddick.  I also seem to remember people going on about how shit the effects where???  I thought they were pretty decent.  All in all, a thumbs up from me.  A decent sci-fi romp.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 38
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 19/3/2007 3:21:06 PM   
Biggus

I really like Pitch Black. Definitely one of my favourite sci-fis. I really struggled with COR though. It just didn't hold my attention at all. A dull, uninspired mess is the best way I can describe it.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 39
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 19/3/2007 6:07:45 PM   
Sphinx

Not bad, takes cliches to the max but I liked it and alas the idea for a sequel seems to be lost in the bermuda triangle never to be hearde from again

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 40
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 20/3/2007 10:25:45 AM   
Beno

The Chronically Riddickulous - misunderstood?!?! nooo its not , better than "Serenity" an
earlier poster sez , jeeeezz , kids today!! I blame Vin Deezel . Sorry didnt like it , i get the feeling they tried too hard .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 41
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 20/3/2007 12:18:06 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I really liked COR and I too never understood the hatred for it. There are some really good action sequences in it too, one of my personal faves being the race against the sun before they get burned alive.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 42
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 20/3/2007 12:30:11 PM   
kaner316

I think it may have been too much crammed into one film. As someone posted earlier, it was a bit of a tone change from Pitch Black, which was tight and focussed. COR was a little bit all muddled and maybe too ambitious. I think, they could have split the narrative over two more focussed films, building up to and ending the series with him sitting on the throne.

Bartlet: What do we do with him?
Sam: Make him the Ambassador to Paraguay.
Bartlet: What do we do with the Ambassador to Paraguay?
Sam: Make him Ambassador to Bulgaria.
Bartlet: I like this. Because, if everybody keeps moving up one, I can go home

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 43
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 22/3/2007 1:06:07 PM   
redxavier

Never understood the beef with Vin Diesel, or with this movie either. I really like it (the DC anyway - never seen the original version) and I long for a sequel.

There's some designs I don't care for (the New Mecca planetary defense guys for instance with their bellend helmets) but overall I like the Riddick universe (something that was supported by the great Butcher Bay game, and even the average animated movie).

(in reply to kaner316)
Post #: 44
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 22/3/2007 1:47:03 PM   
Mr Underhill

I liked it.

Um, that's all.

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to redxavier)
Post #: 45
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 22/3/2007 9:40:28 PM   
OldGrey

I have always championed this movie, can't say it hasn't got me into grief from time to time though !!
I just cannot understand why it is so disliked, I get infuriated by pointless criticism like: "it takes itself too seriously" or "the names are soooo stupid" GET A GRIP - IT'S SCI-FI !!!!!!
How can a movie which plainly advertises what it is, be criticised for taking itself too seriously ????
And so the names are silly, Necromongers etc. Does nobody remeber a trifling little franchise called Star something or other ? Are Midichlorians, Luke Skywalker or Tatooine any less silly ? No, its part of the whole package !
You just have to  buy into it and imagine it's all fiction

I really enjoyed the movie, the effects are great, Riddick is a cracking character and the ending was superb.
I stand by it - It's been a guilty pleasure for too long!

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 46
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 22/3/2007 11:00:52 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldGrey

I have always championed this movie, can't say it hasn't got me into grief from time to time though !!
I just cannot understand why it is so disliked, I get infuriated by pointless criticism like: "it takes itself too seriously" or "the names are soooo stupid" GET A GRIP - IT'S SCI-FI !!!!!!
How can a movie which plainly advertises what it is, be criticised for taking itself too seriously ????
And so the names are silly, Necromongers etc. Does nobody remeber a trifling little franchise called Star something or other ? Are Midichlorians, Luke Skywalker or Tatooine any less silly ? No, its part of the whole package !
You just have to  buy into it and imagine it's all fiction

I really enjoyed the movie, the effects are great, Riddick is a cracking character and the ending was superb.
I stand by it - It's been a guilty pleasure for too long!

Amen!

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 47
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 23/3/2007 5:02:56 AM   
Flembot

Liked the original, like Diesel (as Riddick anyway), Like Twohy, Love Sci Fi....but thought the C of R was dire. Maybe because I had built it up in my head before I went to see it, all that talkof it being an adult antidote to Star Wars and shit. A real wasted opportunity.
Also was I smoking crack or is there a bit where they hide behind rocks from the temperature?

"You got to be fuckin' kiddin"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 48
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 23/3/2007 9:34:09 AM   
words

I thought this was a tedious load of cack, clearly a star vehicle for Vin Diesel that didn't work out (whatever happened to him anyway...)

(in reply to Flembot)
Post #: 49
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 16/1/2008 1:39:13 PM   
Timon

What's the Director's Cut like? After re-watching Pitch Black recently, I was thinking about picking this up.......although I was initially disappointed when I saw it at the cinema.

Just wondering if the DC was better....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to words)
Post #: 50
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 16/1/2008 1:43:43 PM   
Mojo

I'm not sure which version I have on dvd, it might be the director's cut actually but I can't remember much difference. I do quite like this, there's something charming about it. The vast sets, the epic universe... not sure what it is but its good fun.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 51
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 16/1/2008 9:53:26 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

What's the Director's Cut like? After re-watching Pitch Black recently, I was thinking about picking this up.......although I was initially disappointed when I saw it at the cinema.

Just wondering if the DC was better....

The DC is better - introduces Kiera earlier and adds more to Karl Urban and Thandie Newton's Macbeth-esque story, and the odd bit of extra violence.  The ending shots are also in a different order than the theatrical to make it more downbeat.  It does however  have a not very successful sub-plot involving the ghost of the last furian channeling engery into riddic, which was/is supposidly to get expanded in the next films if they ever get made.

Its at a bargin price now so have a dip.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 52
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 17/1/2008 9:32:26 AM   
Timon

I might just do that.......but i"ve just seen you've rated Rush Hour 3 3/5?! Are you insane Mr Woo?! It was awful.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 53
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 17/1/2008 12:02:27 PM   
dracovir

Whereas Pitch Black was brilliant, great characters, good acting, great set-pieces and a well told story the kind of which usually are only found in short sf stories, CoR wasn't actually all that good.  Having said that, it was very enjoyable and I for one do find it a guilty pleasure.  It's not bad in a Supernova way, it to me just feels like being less than the sum of it's parts.

I get the feeling that they should've stuck with the 2 film idea, which was bandied around until the film was well into production.  There is a lot going on in this picture and nowhere near enough screen time available to give all those ideas the room they needed to breathe.  Hopefully Twohy will delve back into this universe, as I think there is much more to it, it has some great potential.  I havent seen the Director's Cut, can anyone who has let me know how much better it is than the theatrical?  And also can anyone recommend the Anime chapter of the Chronicles - Dark Fury - as I haven't watched that yet neither.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 54
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 17/1/2008 6:14:01 PM   
Jack's Rage

Well it didn't help that Vin Diesel proclaimed it to be the new Empire Strikes Back at every chance he got.

I would tend to argee with dracovir that it had way too much going on for one film. And also it was just damn rediculous at times. Hiding from searing temperature in shadows? Are you fucking kidding me. With that said it was still fairly enjoyable.

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 55
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 17/1/2008 7:42:04 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I might just do that.......but i"ve just seen you've rated Rush Hour 3 3/5?! Are you insane Mr Woo?! It was awful.

Hey, I'm a big fan of the films.  I found it to be as funny as the others but the action was lacking.  Chan is far to old for that shit now.  It was harmless.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 56
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 9:38:35 AM   
Timon

I watched it again on ITV last night and REALLY enjoyed it. I'm seriously considering picking up the 2 Discer DC and hoping for another (but cheaper) chapter in the Chronicles of Riddick.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 57
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:48:04 AM   
King_Bard

Same here Timon.I watched it last night and it was pretty good..I even thought VIn Diesel put in a decent performance.....

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 10:52:06 AM   
lloyddobler

I used to quite like it when it first came out

Then I saw it on ITV1 on Saturday night and suddenly all the love disappeared for some reason.

" A plan is just a list of things that dont happen "

www.thelostmovies.com
www.myspace.com/holtmeister28

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 59
RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! - 27/1/2008 4:09:09 PM   
monkeyfish

It's not actually good. At all. In fact it's really bad. But it does have a certain something. It's sort of that it's uniquely bad. It's not really like all the other predictably shit action movies starring Vin Diesel types. This one is appealingly bold and ambitious. It really wants to create something new and original, a whole original sci-fi fantasy universe. And that kind of originality is something that is all too rare in Hollywood blockbusters these days and Chronicles should be praised for that. But the big problem is that it has the hubristic ambition and then doesn't seem to follow through with the required effort. Some of the visual design is very impressive but there's no sense of a whole world behind it which was the genius with Lord of the Rings and even Star Wars, it's all in the background details. Names like Necromongers and Furions aren't just cringeworthy in themselves, they smack of a certain lack of effort, what I like to refer to as Poochie Syndrome where the writers have come up with an obviously shit name as a stop gap and then not been bothered to replace it with a decent one. Similar with terrible lines like "It's been a long time since I smelled beautiful".
Also, whatever else you think of the film on its own. It is a problem that it completely jars with the first film, that Pitch Black seems to exist in a different universe. Although it is never particularly expressed in Pitch Black, it seemed to me that it was set in what was, essentially, a futuristic version of our universe and creatures like the monsters in that film were as unknown and freaky to the humans in the film as they would be to us. But, come Chronicles of Riddick it seemed that they existed in a universe where the supernatural was an everyday thing. It wasn't like Chronicles expanded on a mythology touched on in the first film, it seemed to take a character from one place and transport him to a completely different one.
This sort of fantasy sci-fi thing is such a hard thing to convincingly pull off, take yourself too seriously and you end up looking stupid, pretentiously posturing in a world of silly names and sillier outfits, don't take yourself seriously enough and you end up with Flash Gordon. Chronicles of Riddick doesn't have the lightness of touch needed to get beyond its inherent silliness. It's desperation to be seen as having this Shakespearean quality is absurd. With material like this, ironically Vin Diesel comes out as the better actor than Judi Dench, who is all at sea with the nonsense they give her.
It had a couple of well done moments and the final fight was quite cool, but undiscovered classic it certainly isn't. I will say one thing for it, the ending did leave me curious as to what was going to happen next. It's sort of a shame it didn't do well enough/wasn't good enough to get its planned series of films.

What became of the Empire Script Challenge?

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Chronicles of Riddick - misunderstood?!?! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI