Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 8/9/2009 2:21:33 PM   
rooney

Men want to be him................Women want to be with him

Jack Reacher is a legend, yes as everyone has said his books are not particularly thought provoking, they wont make you cry or anything like that (which is a good thing, never understood reading a book to cry? and for that matter even seeing a film to cry??)

but anyway his books are fast and full of action, Jack Reacher is an action hero plain and simple, but he does the investigative work too, its my kind of book sends me to bed smiling and ready for the next chapter

Col tempo la foglia di gelso diventa seta: old Italian saying meaning, "Time and patience change the mulberry leaf to satin."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 31
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 12/2/2010 7:36:32 AM   
Castor Troy

I've just about finished Killing Floor, having buying it after someone describing the books and the character to me.

I quite enjoyed it - a bit of fun or whatever. I don't think I'm gonna read the whole lot but I might pick one or two of what are to be considered the best ones. So I need to know what the best ones are please.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to rooney)
Post #: 32
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 1/3/2010 12:55:19 PM   
grucl

Only a few weeks now until 61 hours. Can't wait!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 33
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 22/3/2010 8:08:45 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Only a few weeks now until 61 hours. Can't wait!

Started reading it over the weekend. So far, so standard (which is a good thing).

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 34
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 22/3/2010 6:44:59 PM   
coyotes15

dont forget his new book 61 HOURS came out on Friday 19th. I love Jack Reacher and everyone I have loaned the books to( I have them all) immediately want more. His last 2 or 3 havent been all that good but I still buy his new ones...

(in reply to Caesar)
Post #: 35
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 23/3/2010 8:19:30 AM   
grucl

According to Amazon.co.uk there is another Reacher book on the way already. It will be out in autumn.

(in reply to coyotes15)
Post #: 36
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 23/3/2010 11:30:51 PM   
anakin solo

I've enjoyed reading all of the jack reacher books especially one shot, the hardway, bad luck and trouble, nothing to lose and i'm looking forward to reading gone tomorrow and 61 hours. I don't think that jack reacher is overly violent he just takes someone out who is about to mess with him and if he needs to make sure they stay down he will,

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 37
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 31/3/2010 9:19:50 AM   
grucl

Finished 61 hours yesterday. Great book. Not as graphically violent as previous entries but still entertaining. You also get a new piece of the puzzle why Reacher quit his career in the Army.
The ending is somewhat different this time. I'll just say this: there is a reason the next book is coming out in September already.

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 38
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 21/4/2010 7:40:28 PM   
coyotes15

I agree, the ending is a strange one. I really enjoyed this book in comparison to his last 2 which just didnt please me. I have gotten my father and 2 brothers into the Reacher stories and am proud to say I have converted my friends friend too!!! Jack Reacher is great.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 39
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 22/4/2010 7:45:10 PM   
sanchia

I am about half way through Tripwire but to be honest I am struggling to maintain interest. I am finding the main character a tad boring and the writing a bit too knowingly stylised in places.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to coyotes15)
Post #: 40
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 23/6/2010 9:01:53 AM   
grucl

Finished Without Fail last week. Not among the best books but still enjoyable. It's more of a detective story. Only during the last 20 pages there is some real action. Plus Reacher has a sidekick in this one which worked well in Bad Luck and trouble but doesn't work well here. All the stuff Neagly comes up with during the plot could have come from Reacher himself.

Next will be The Visitor, I think. Heared good things about it.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 41
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 7/10/2011 12:33:38 PM   
sharkboy

Don't forget, Reacher fans, that Lee Child is doing the Empire webchat this afternoon - opening in a few minutes!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 42
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 20/12/2011 1:59:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

I need help guys. Last minute Christmas gift - do I need to buy the very first Reacher book or are you able to jump into the series at any point?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 43
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 22/12/2011 9:18:15 AM   
grucl

All the books are self-contained stories (apart from "Worth dying for" i which s a sequel to "61 hours").

If you want to read them chronologically you would have to start with "The Enemy", then "The Affair" and then "Killing Floor".

My advice: start with "One shot" which is in my opinion the best in the series and contains all the "classic" Reacher moments from the books.

< Message edited by grucl -- 22/12/2011 9:19:22 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 44
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 5/9/2012 12:14:15 PM   
grucl

Just finished "A wanted man".

Again you get exactly what you expect with a Jack Reacher novel.

The action is pretty much absent until the last 50 pages, though. There are (again) a couple of pretty ladies in here but this time out Reacher beds none of them (getting old?)

The story picks up exactly where "Worth dying for" left off but you do not have to have read that book to enjoy this one. The story is completely self contained.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 45
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 23/3/2013 11:38:42 PM   
SWOTBM

Finished reading Killing Floor earlier today. I mainly do my reading on the commute into London as there are too many distractions at home (the PS3 being a major one ), but I was getting near the end and I couldn't put it down. A great page-turner. I like the detail that Child goes into with his writing and his short punchy style reads just how Reacher would be thinking. I wasn't expecting there to be that much of a mystery element to the book, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although there were quite a lot of coincidences and some of Reacher's reasoning when trying to solve an issue seemed a bit stretched; but that's only a minor criticism.

I saw the film last year and I thought it was a pretty good action flick. I'm not the greatest Tom Cruise fan but he played the part well, with the right mix of humour and seriousness. But after reading the book I can totally see why fans were upset about the casting. Reacher uses his height to intimidate others and I just don't get that same level of intimidation from Cruise. Having said that I'm racking my brains trying to think of an actor who could fit the description (maybe Chris Hemsworth?).

Gonna start on Die Trying next Couldn't believe how cheaply ASDA were selling the Reacher novels when I went in there earlier today- £3.85?!

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 46
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 20/4/2013 10:40:32 PM   
steverayg

This thread seems pretty spot-on so far. The Reacher books aren’t deep but they move fast and have quite a few twists and turns to them. Child’s style is that sort of “lean, muscular prose” that you find in pulps and noir stories. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I can see Tom Cruise as a decent Jack Reacher…provided you hire a very short cast around him.

Steven Gomez is a pulp writer in the best (or worst) tradition.
Get your FREE copy of his Ebook "The Standing Eight" at The Noir Factory!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 47
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 21/8/2013 9:19:32 AM   
grucl

Just a few days now until the next Reacher novel:

Until then I can recommend the new Reacher short story High heat!

In 1977 Reacher is 17 years old and visits New York during a massive heatwave followed by a citywide blackout. He witnesses a man molsting a woman and steps in to help. Tuns out the man is a member of the mafia...

< Message edited by grucl -- 21/8/2013 9:20:29 AM >

(in reply to steverayg)
Post #: 48
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 5/9/2013 11:04:09 AM   
grucl

quote:

Aaaaand...done.

More of the same basically. The endig is bit of a letdown compared to other installments. It's very light on action (2-3 short fistfights).

Possible SPOILERS!

Child had the opportunity to add a whole new dimension to Reacher's adventures with the daughter plotline but in the end he decided against it. Too bad...

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 49
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 13/9/2013 7:38:48 PM   
BudBaxter

I thought Child actually shook the formula up a bit for once. Rather than the usual 'Reacher rollls into town, gets in trouble, sorts out trouble, rolls out of town', he actually did a bit of traveling. I was quite shocked when he got on a plane.

Agree about the ending though, it is quite anticlimactic.

As for the lack of action, well, Reacher's getting older...

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 50
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 16/9/2013 10:43:10 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter
Agree about the ending though, it is quite anticlimactic.

I expected something bigger. Child built this story up since 61 hours.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 51
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 10/10/2013 10:32:24 AM   
The Janitor

I have really enjoyed the Reacher books over years, just finished Never Go Back.

I always go for the audio version as the narrator captures Reacher brilliantly. The main problem I had with the film was it just didn't sound like the Reacher in my head.

Favorite part of Never Go Back was the fight with the locals at the Motel and when they were deciding which two of them should fight him.

"Let make this simple which of you has health insurance"

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 52
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 11/2/2014 4:17:44 PM   
DJ Satan

I started reading them (in order) after watching the film and really enjoying it. Loving them so far. A bit disappointed with The Visitor when I guessed the murderer pretty quickly, but the books normally aren't whodunnits so I'm not that bothered.

About a third of the way through Echo Burning at the moment. I enjoy the usual intriguing setup's and then working out how things are going to come together and get resolved.

I am concerned a bit about the continuity in his morality and background from book to book though. I'm not sure if I'll get bored of it before too long.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 53
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 18/2/2014 12:54:21 PM   
BigKovacs

I've read most of them, up to 'The Affair' and Child keeps Reacher's background in check but his moral compass goes awry quite a few times, from generally being a wanker to some downright nasty things. If it was against villains or would be okay but sometimes it's not which doesn't feel in keeping with his moral code.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 54
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 18/2/2014 2:28:20 PM   
DJ Satan

It's not that he's too violent, but not violent enough. Without going into too many spoilers for Echo Burning, he seems to refuse to commit a violent act and it appears to be purely for plot reasons and to generate scenes, when he has done much more suspect stuff in the past.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 55
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 18/2/2014 8:17:44 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm half way through the second one. I don't think I'll be rushing to the third unless things look up a lot. Child does the basics, but that's all it is with very little depth and action that is better portrayed on screen than in pages.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 56
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 19/2/2014 10:45:36 AM   
DJ Satan

I thought the third was better than the second. It brings in some continuity and rounds the character out a bit more (even if the bad guy is bobbins).

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 57
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 15/5/2014 3:03:27 PM   
grucl

The new Reacher novel will be called "Personal" and comes out in August:

quote:

Someone has taken a long-range shot at the French president but failed to kill him. The suspected sniper has serious skills and is a hard man to find. Reacher tracked him down once and put him in jail. Now he's asked to hunt him again, and put him away permanently.

Tracking the shooter will take Reacher from France to England after a killer with a treacherous vendetta. He'll need to uncover who did the hiring and what's behind the assassination attempt before executing his orders.

According to the sample chapter this one will be a first-person narrative.

< Message edited by grucl -- 15/5/2014 3:05:58 PM >

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 58
RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread - 16/9/2014 12:46:37 PM   
grucl

quote:

Just finished it.

Not too bad but it drags a bit in the middle. Plus it (again) lacks longer action sequences. The ending is a bit anticlimactic.

Reacher seems to have totally given up on beddig his female companions ...

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI