Garth Nix

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Garth Nix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Garth Nix - 3/10/2005 8:29:26 PM   
Gethin23

Has anyone read the book series by Garth Nix, either 'The Old Kingdom' o'r 'Keys to the Kingdom'? They are really great and anyone who is anyone should read them.
Post #: 1
RE: Garth Nix - 12/3/2006 7:51:43 PM   
Super Hans

I got the Old Kingdom trilogy for Christmas, I'm nearly half way through Sabriel and while its not uninteresting, I'm strangely finding that I can't really get into it in 'can't put it down' kind of way.  Did anyone else find that?  Do they get better/more gripping?  I think its partly due to the fact I don't normally read fantasy (fancied a change) so that probably doesnt help.  I will persevere though!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Gethin23)
Post #: 2
RE: Garth Nix - 16/3/2006 8:38:11 PM   
Lady_Hawk

I've just re-read them after a 4 year break and really really loved them. I certainly had difficulty putting thm down in the evening. They totally capture my imagination and I like all the characters. I think Lirael takes a while to get going but one the Disreputable Dog appears things get good pretty quick.

Ok, so here's y movie casting, given that I've thought about it for like 2 seconds....

Sabriel - Natalie Portman
Touchstone - Heath Ledger
Kerrigor - Christian Bale (I'm sure he could be pretty darn scary)
Mogget - voiced by Simon Pegg

Lirael - Emmy Rossum
Nicolas Sayre - Rupert Friend
Sam - Robert Pattison
Disreputable Dog - voiced by Rachael Weiss (if she was younger I would have cast her as Sabriel.....)
Hedge - Sean Bean

Well - it's not a bad cast! Will change my mind though...................

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 3
RE: Garth Nix - 20/3/2006 7:42:22 PM   
sugarplum_fairy

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkcloud

I had already declared my undying love for Garth Nix on the old forum...but what the hell.

The Old Kingdom trilogy is simply brilliant, some of my favourite books, its fantasy that really excites.
I've read up until Wednesday in the KTTK series (that's all there is so far, right?), and I'm really enjoying it, although my heart belongs in the Old Kingdom.

What she said!

Tell you what... truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it...

Jack, I swear...

Post #: 4
RE: Garth Nix - 20/3/2006 8:58:05 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: sugarplum_fairy

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkcloud

I had already declared my undying love for Garth Nix on the old forum...but what the hell.

The Old Kingdom trilogy is simply brilliant, some of my favourite books, its fantasy that really excites.
I've read up until Wednesday in the KTTK series (that's all there is so far, right?), and I'm really enjoying it, although my heart belongs in the Old Kingdom.

What she said!

Or even what he said

I love the Old Kingdom (hence my title!)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to sugarplum_fairy)
Post #: 5
RE: Garth Nix - 22/3/2006 1:11:45 PM   
Arianwen

I love Garth Nix . If I had to do a favourtie author thing I think it would be Dan Abnett, then Patricia Cornwall, then Garth Nix. I just love Mogget! Sabriel is my favourite book of the three, and for a World Book Day 1 book Creature In The Case is very impressive. Haven't tried the Keys To The Kingdom series yet.

"Mercy is the mark of a great man."
(pokes with sword)
"Guess I'm just a good man."
(pokes again)
"Well, I'm alright."

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 6
RE: Garth Nix - 23/3/2006 7:25:57 PM   
Lady_Hawk

I tried to read Mister Monday but it just seemed a bit too young. I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre and really hope that Garth Nix goes back to the Old Kingdom when he's finished with the Keys to the Kindom books. The end of Abhorsen left plenty of great possiblilities. I'm sure there were hints of future romance for Lirael and Nicholas, plus now that we know that Sabriel isn't dead, Lirael isn't the Abhorsen anymore.............

(in reply to Arianwen)
Post #: 7
RE: Garth Nix - 27/3/2006 7:08:36 PM   
~Angel~

The Old Kingdom series is amazing!! The one i enjoyed reading the most was Sabriel but they are all amazing! Love Mogget!

(in reply to Lady_Hawk)
Post #: 8
RE: Garth Nix - 31/3/2006 1:59:56 PM   
tbird

I've read Lireal and Abhorsen, and I absolutely adored them both. The character and transition of Lirael from timid quiet Clayr to full on Abhorsen was magical to read.

I will never forget the Disreputable Dog. I really wish I had him by my side every day!

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to ~Angel~)
Post #: 9
RE: Garth Nix - 4/4/2006 8:01:45 AM   
Funkyrae

I'm just waiting for someone to finish Sir Thursday before I can start on it.  It's mine, I bught it, he nicked it before I had a chance!  I think Garth Nix is one of the best writers out there at the moment.  I love the Ragwitch too!

Totally agree with tbird there though, the Disreputable Dog is wonderful!

So far out of the Keys series though, I think Drowned Wednesday is my favourite, the way the tattoos move about on the pirate (who's name escapes me at the moment) is sheer genius.

That's me that is!

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 10
RE: Garth Nix - 6/4/2006 11:36:33 PM   
mikioninja

I randomly bought The Old Kingdom trilogy off amazon after a couple of glasses of wine and its the best random buy that i have ever bought!
Absolutely brilliant, i could not put them down!!

My only thought is that i'd love for their to be more though, jsut because i want to know more of the history and more of what happens next!! That would be very very very good

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 11
RE: Garth Nix - 12/4/2006 3:52:30 PM   
sugarplum_fairy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I'm just waiting for someone to finish Sir Thursday before I can start on it.  It's mine, I bught it, he nicked it before I had a chance!  I think Garth Nix is one of the best writers out there at the moment.  I love the Ragwitch too!

Totally agree with tbird there though, the Disreputable Dog is wonderful!

So far out of the Keys series though, I think Drowned Wednesday is my favourite, the way the tattoos move about on the pirate (who's name escapes me at the moment) is sheer genius.

That would be Dr.Scamandros! I loved the tattoos thing too! For those of you who weren't aware, Sir Thursday is now out and having read it in a day I can say that it's just as good as the others! I really enjoyed it, and it's probably my second favourite of the KTTK series (after Drowned Wednesday) and look out for a character called 'The Skinless Boy' in Sir Thursday - very sinister indeed!

Tell you what... truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it...

Jack, I swear...

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 12
RE: Garth Nix - 15/7/2006 4:09:07 PM   
Katsmwowe

Thursday's out?!?! Why didn't i know this! I was addicted to the Old Kingdom series, and adore the Keys To The Kingdom! Garth Nix is one of the most rockingest authors i know! Right... now to find Sir Thursday... Cant believe I didn't know!!!

(in reply to sugarplum_fairy)
Post #: 13
RE: Garth Nix - 16/7/2006 2:38:03 PM   
JennieC

Love the Old Kingdom series (a child psychologist friend of mine recommended them - ooer), Mogget is far and away the best 'cat' character since Salem in Sabrina the Teenage witch, and resulted in one of my two kittens being christened with the name.  The Keys to the Kingdom do seem to aim a bit younger, and I found Mister Monday a bit of a drag, but it does set up the rest of the series well in the final chapter when the phone rings...

The Ragwitch is beyond weird.

Has anyone bought the rights to Sabriel etc - I thought they would translate onto the screen very well indeed, and the 'death sense' thing could be portrayed pretty easily with light effects and a quirky soundtrack I would have thought.

"Golden - he came here from another planet, but that planet is awesome man"

(in reply to Katsmwowe)
Post #: 14
RE: Garth Nix - 29/7/2007 2:45:28 PM   
JV

I loved loved loved the Old Kingdom trilogy! Easily 3 of my most favourite books.

However, I then tried to read Ragwitch and I thought it was utter tosh. Actually, maybe it wasn't so much tosh as just too young for me.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to JennieC)
Post #: 15
RE: Garth Nix - 30/7/2007 12:09:40 AM   
mafyou

Are the 'Keys to the Kingdom' set in the same place as the Abhorsen trilogy?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 16
RE: Garth Nix - 30/7/2007 4:02:28 PM   
JennieC

Nope, totally different.  I've only read Monday, might give the others a try although they definitely aim younger.  Quite clever though.

"Golden - he came here from another planet, but that planet is awesome man"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 17
RE: Garth Nix - 5/8/2007 2:03:07 PM   
mafyou

I'm not sure about the Keys to the Kingdom set. I've looked at them but they've never really grabbed me. I've got lots of other stuff to read and they are at the bottom of the pile. I can't imagine they are as good as the Old Kingdom books.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to JennieC)
Post #: 18
RE: Garth Nix - 28/10/2009 7:20:56 PM   
general_potatoface

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

I'm not sure about the Keys to the Kingdom set. I've looked at them but they've never really grabbed me. I've got lots of other stuff to read and they are at the bottom of the pile. I can't imagine they are as good as the Old Kingdom books.

They're not. Still decent though.

Anyone have any news on Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen, or any other Nixnews?

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 19
RE: Garth Nix - 9/11/2009 9:17:37 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: general_potatoface

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

They're not. Still decent though.

Anyone have any news on Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen, or any other Nixnews?

This is the only substantial information I've found out about Clariel, which also mentions a second Old Kingdom book:

quote:

The first, probably out in 2010, will be Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen, which is the story of the young woman who eventually became Chlorr of the Mask. It takes place about 320 years before the events in Sabriel. The second is untitled, and is a sequel of sorts to Abhorsen, taking place several years later. It should be out in 2011. Both 2010 and 2011 seem like a long way away but no doubt will sneak up on me horribly when I least expect it. Sometimes I think time is a practitioner of the secret Welsh martial art of Llap-Goch.

From Garth Nix's Amazon blog, here.

Did anyone read Across The Wall? It's a collection of short stories from the Old Kingdom, but I haven't got hold of it yet and I was wondering if it's any good?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to general_potatoface)
Post #: 20
RE: Garth Nix - 12/11/2009 2:32:20 PM   
general_potatoface

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

Did anyone read Across The Wall? It's a collection of short stories from the Old Kingdom, but I haven't got hold of it yet and I was wondering if it's any good?

It is very good. But only one story is Old Kingdom based (and actually takes place in Ancelstierre) "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case". That's an excellent story and there's plenty more great stuff. Especially "Hope Chest".

I'm hoping Nick Sayre is the protagonist of the Abhorsen sequel.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Garth Nix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI