Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Repulsion - 13/3/2007 4:11:30 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Repulsion - 14/3/2007 12:09:41 AM   
Lydia_H

Marvellous film and utterly absorbing cinema, with fascinating performances and a strange intimacy with it's ominous atmosphere.

The only criticism I have of Repulsion is that it tends to overshadow 'The Tenant', which depending on interpretations could have been another investigation into the crippling effects of paranoia and subsequent insanity, personally I think it's impenetrable mystery and proximity to Polanski make it a more intriguing film, but in my opinion it is also superior to Repulsion in terms of latent atmosphere and visuals, though perhaps not as strong in terms of performances.

Both of them are five star films though

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Repulsion - 27/5/2010 12:20:59 AM   
krisjcummins

Polanski crafts one of the most disturbing and hellish visceral experiences perhaps ever committed to film. One woman's descent into madness. The constant atmosphere of impending doom and the palpable melancholy feel gives "Repulsion" one of it's greatest strengths. Also, the acting is simply stunning from all cast members. Classic Polanski.

Post #: 3
- 6/3/2011 9:14:54 PM   
TheGodfather

Repulsion
Roman Polanski`s first film in the English language tells the story of the Belgian Carole (Catherine Deneuve) who shares an appartment with her sister in London. When her sister goes on holiday with her boyfriend she stays home alone and slowly but surely starts suffering from psychosis and delusions, resulting in a bunch of violent acts.

During the film Polanski creates an atmospere that makes his audience go through the same state of mind as Deneuve`s character. The claustrofobic atmosphere that he tries to achieve hits all the marks. He does so with a combination from the fact that film for the biggest takes place inside Carole`s appartment, the opressive black-and-white photography in wich Polanski uses all sorts of different film techniques to bring the atmosphere across, the brilliant acting performance from Deneuve and especially with a creepy sound editing. This takes the viewer even more into the mind of Carole, experiencing more and more what is going on inside her head.
A masterpiece in creating atmosphere, wich makes into a really intense and electrifying film.

8,0/10

Post #: 4
Catherine Deneuve - 2/1/2013 1:35:34 AM   
Normal Control

She is Farenheit 451 in this, stunning. Even Kim can't get this review wrong. Great movie, I wanna see it again.

Post #: 5
Very disturbing - 6/2/2013 4:38:08 PM   
Mr Gittes

There's no getting around it. This is a hard film to watch. But in the best possible way. Say what you want about his personal life, but Polanski is a genius with a camera.

Post #: 6
Creepy and Intelligent - 27/2/2013 8:22:24 PM   
movienut707

Roman Polanski's crafty psychological thriller deals with lonliness, anxiety, and sexual repression, presenting us with a chilling visual narrative filtered through the anti-heroine's distorted point of view. There is an inherently voyeuristic quality to the film - the camera is almost always following someone, and, at times, gets uncomfortably close to its subject, reinforcing our sense of unease. Repulsion is like a bad dream: you don't watch it, you feel it.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 7/11/2013 7:05:43 AM >

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Repulsion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI