Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Dawn - 13/3/2007 3:57:49 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 18/3/2007 8:24:07 PM   
Suzy

I loved this film when it was first released in the 80's and I was hitting my teens, I wanted so much to be Lea Thompson or Jennifer Grey and have to live in the mountains with the boys and help save my country by becoming a Freedom fighter.

I re-discovered this movie a couple of months ago when my other half bought it on dvd and nothing has changed except perhaps the fact that I realise just how far fetched all those 80's action movies were!!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Red Dawn - 9/1/2009 8:25:44 AM   
Uncle_Ethan

This is one of the most IDIOTIC films ever put on screen. It takes the story of the Soviet Partisan and shifts it to the good old USA of President Reagan. The concept of American teenagers defending their homeland is patently ridiculous, but at least the film succeeds in making the action look like children playing at soldiers. Utter rubbish !

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Red Dawn - 2/3/2013 6:10:54 AM   
Phubbs

Red Dawn (1984)

Set in an alternate 80's this film is based around the notion that the US is evaded by the Soviet Union and its Cuban and Nicaraguan allies. So its everything your standard red blooded, paranoid, religious Southern hick dreams of, a chance to roam around out in the sticks shooting people that may look like a threat, yee-haw!!.

World War III, America v Russia, fight!, well almost. The film is interesting if slightly silly, I would of thought it impossible to evade and take the US considering its size and population. A film of its time for sure, a time when America was paranoid about the Russians (and vice versa) and had not too long finished up fighting the North Vietnamese.

on one hand its a more serious 'Goonie' type fantasy adventure, on the other hand there is a clear underlying message about the way people thought back then, tensions, imagination running wild, maybe even preparation ideas just in case, what better way to show the masses than with a movie. You could almost say it was a military promotion/propaganda to encourage youngsters to join up, stop the commies from trying this, don't be like one of these characters in the film (that get captured and killed).

Putting aside the hidden messages that aren't so well hidden (were they meant to be?) its obviously very dated and effects aren't like today, the action is very hokey. Lots of vehicles being blown up, men shot with no visible evidence of bullet holes or blood, booby traps, thick tashed bad guys etc...It is a grown up serious film though, the premise is serious as are the deaths of various characters and the way the film portrays both sides at crucial moments of morality.

To look at the film you could be fooled into thinking it was just another silly 'A-Team' brat pack affair, hell it was only missing Estevez and Lowe. Despite the now famous young cast there is a heck of a lot of emotion flowing through this, certain scenes will make your eyes well up even though you know its corny as hell. The dialog is like the action in its hokey as hell at times but along with the great location work you can't deny the film does pack some punch, somewhat.

Back in the day for American kids of that age group I'm sure this film was quite unnerving. As for American adults back in the day I'm sure it did make them wonder about the future. Altogether a film very much of its time which doesn't really work as well now, still fun thanks to a great cast but the edge has long gone due to circumstances changing over many many years. An interesting look back in time though.

(in reply to Uncle_Ethan)
Post #: 4
RE: Red Dawn - 2/3/2013 11:14:26 AM   
Shifty Bench

Fun Fact: This was the first film to be given the PG-13 rating by the MPAA.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5
RE: Red Dawn - 3/3/2013 2:10:12 PM   
Super Hans

I only actually saw this film last year for the first time. Was different to what I expected - DVD box makes it look like Top Gun or something, didn't expect the (attempted) more serious and sombre tone!

Pretty naff, but not a bad watch. Empire's bad review probably confirms it, but I can't imagine the remake being at all effective nowdays. If the idea of commies invading the good o' US if A wasn't completely far fetched back then, it certainly is now!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Red Dawn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI