Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

OZ

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> OZ Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OZ - 13/3/2007 9:51:29 AM   
Clarence Worley

Just picked up the first season after missing it first time round, really enjoyed it and although it does look a little dated!! was thinkin of pickin up series 2 and 3. They havent been released in the UK so was wondering if they were much cop, any views - are they worth getting??

Thanks

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?
Post #: 1
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 10:07:36 AM   
sharkboy

Absolutely  - IMO Oz was one of the best shows on TV and its treatment by Ch4 was nothing short of criminal (no pun intended).  I've got all six seasons on R1 and keep going back to them again and again.  Those characters you delighted in from Season 1 have arcs that last the whole 6 seasons - the ones that survive that is, because if there's one thing that can be said of the writers it was that they weren't scared to kill off the stars!  72 characters bite the dust over the 6-season run - that's even more than in 24!

The character rotation may have been high, but it allowed so many new ones to be introduced each year, with new plotlines to go with them.  Because of this the show was never dull, never lost its edge and always retained the ability to shock.  And how could you not love a show with the great JK Simmons in it?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Clarence Worley)
Post #: 2
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 1:40:58 PM   
elab49

Really a must-see. Ditto everything Sharkboy says, although I only have seasons 1-5 at the moment. The quality of acting and writing is way beyond most TV and in terms of the story developing organically from its characters only shows like stablemate The Wire, IMO, are superior. And you see the alumni everywhere these days, even in The Wire.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 3
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 1:41:51 PM   
Clarence Worley

Excellent thanks, i will see if i can pick them up cheap off ebay - on a side note what a great performance b y Harold Perrineau Jr as the narrator, i didnt really rate him in Lost, but it goes to show how much of a difference a good character makes - thoroughly enjoyable and pretty shocking

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 5:05:09 PM   
stuartbannerman

Oz is easily one of the best shows ever made. If not THE best show HBO has done (it was their first 1hr drama by the way)
As someone previous said, its also a show that works well under repeat viewing. ive seen it 3 times so far and each time you start again at season 1, you remember all the characters that come and go 'wow id forggoten about him'

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

Post #: 5
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 5:09:51 PM   
Hex

I loved OZ. Even when it got really stupid (the aging program anyone?) and the characters changed their personalities all the time, it was still better than most things on tv.

But mostly I remember it for the amazing chemistry of Keller and Beecher. One of tvs best couples.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 6
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 5:21:45 PM   
chrismart83

iv been meaning to pick up this show on dvd, iv heard its great.

''You'll Never Walk Alone''

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 7
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 6:25:53 PM   
EVILSPEAK

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrismart83

iv been meaning to pick up this show on dvd, iv heard its great.

It's fucking excellent (one of the best dvd investments you will ever make). I was so chuffed when season one finally got released recently on dvd. Buy it with utter confidence and pray the following 5 seasons get a swift release!

(in reply to chrismart83)
Post #: 8
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 6:33:47 PM   
Zatoichi

I'm loving this show. JK Simmons is especially fantastic.

"You say you love me...but I don't think you mean it."

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to EVILSPEAK)
Post #: 9
RE: OZ - 13/3/2007 6:42:22 PM   
hongkongphooey

Oz is one of my favourite shows of all time - love it. Count how many murders Ryan O'Reily is responsible for - either directly or indirectly!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 10
RE: OZ - 20/3/2007 11:33:34 PM   
Bobby B

Agreed, just watched first 4 episodes and its fantastic....

Enjoying playing 'spot who went on to bigger TV shows.....'

So far....

The Wire: Bodie, Cutty and Burrell
Lost: Michael and Eko

Not to mention Carmela Soprano and several others who have starred in movies and I cannot be bothered to look up on IMDB

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 11
RE: OZ - 20/3/2007 11:49:48 PM   
beebs_

Yes, many a TV star started on Oz. I know Edie Falco from Oz before The Sopranos. Mr. Eko was always Adebessi to me! He's a great character.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Bobby B)
Post #: 12
RE: OZ - 18/4/2007 4:14:45 PM   
Clarence Worley

thought id update - 2 episodes left of season 4 - what a show though easily in my top 3 of all time, gripping !!! cant wait to watch the rest, and whoever mentioned JK Simmons, great shout - hes brilliant!!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 13
RE: OZ - 18/4/2007 4:38:56 PM   
superfurry

Respect also to Lee Tergesen as Beecher.  He must have really enjoyed filming the second last episode of season 1.  Those who have seen it know what I'm talking about.

Eamonn Walker is also pretty awesome as Said, but to be honest the majority of the cast are excellent.

What can I say? I'm a bad heart motherfucker.

Post #: 14
RE: OZ - 18/4/2007 5:39:49 PM   
Zatoichi

Finished the 1st season recently. The last two episodes were fantastic. The Beecher and Schillinger storyline has definetly been the best.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."

(in reply to superfurry)
Post #: 15
RE: OZ - 8/5/2007 11:18:09 PM   
Clarence Worley

Finished it all off - and what can i say, what a fantastic show takes you through a rollercoaster of emotions and some of the best acting i have ever seen ...... i can but recommend it to you, you will not be dissapointed

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 16
RE: OZ - 9/5/2007 12:44:18 AM   
beebs_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

Finished the 1st season recently. The last two episodes were fantastic. The Beecher and Schillinger storyline has definetly been the best.

Schillinger was an absolute evil bastard to poor old Tobias. There are so many memorable characters. I mean who doesn't love Adebesi?

The Beecher/Schilinger thing gets more twisted through the series. Enjoy!

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 17
RE: OZ - 9/5/2007 1:53:13 PM   
Zatoichi

I was watching Six Feet Under the other day, and David and Keith were watching an episode of Oz. Some guy was telling Beecher "Oz didn't make you a bitch; you were born one". David and Keith seemed very turned on.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 18
RE: OZ - 10/5/2007 2:10:44 PM   
stuartbannerman

Ive been playing Oz-Watch for years now and its really amazing just how many things you watch where they pop up. I would list them here but you couldnt cope with the sheer amount of text...

(in reply to Bobby B)
Post #: 19
RE: OZ - 10/5/2007 2:18:09 PM   
stuartbannerman

What is distrubring about Oz is how Chris Keller ends up being a lead detective investigating sex crimes in Law and Order:SVU. I cant help think that the twist in that series is going to be the fact he is causing them all

Post #: 20
RE: OZ - 10/5/2007 5:33:05 PM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

What is distrubring about Oz is how Chris Keller ends up being a lead detective investigating sex crimes in Law and Order:SVU. I cant help think that the twist in that series is going to be the fact he is causing them all

I alaways found that curious myself

Post #: 21
RE: OZ - 10/5/2007 10:41:19 PM   
beebs_

quote:

Do you know what's really odd about that?

In Oz is part of a prison in Baltimore right? Well the governor was in a a few times over the course of the series. Well, as you may know Homicide: Life On The Streets was set in Baltimore. The same guy who played the governor in Oz was the assistant DA in Homicide. Which is where Det. Munch comes in. Munch is in L&O: SVU too right? So in my weird view they're all part of the same universe so Keller is actually playing a cop while existing as an inmate in Oz.

[/Ramdomness]

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 22
RE: OZ - 11/5/2007 10:13:43 AM   
Clarence Worley

i dont think it is ever mentioned where it is set - except for it being in the North East - but good randomness nonetheless!!!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 23
RE: OZ - 16/5/2007 10:50:13 PM   
superfurry

Does anyone know of a date for season 2 on dvd?  In my season 1 box it says it's due this month and season 3 in September, although I've been quite impatient and have nearly finished season 3 online.

I've also been calling people prag a hell of a lot lately.

Post #: 24
RE: OZ - 21/5/2007 2:48:11 PM   
Clarence Worley

quote:

ORIGINAL: superfurry

I've also been calling people prag a hell of a lot lately.

brilliant!!

Ended up picking S2 etc on R1 i think you can pick series 1-6 boxset of amazon for approx 100 with free delivery 

< Message edited by Clarence Worley -- 21/5/2007 2:50:16 PM >

(in reply to superfurry)
Post #: 25
RE: OZ - 1/7/2007 3:09:21 AM   
superfurry

Finshed watching the whole thing recently.  It is now without a doubt my second favourite tv show ever after "I, Claudius".

Ryan O'Reily is just an amazing character who is slimy, manipulative and double-crossing but still very likeable.  Adebisi is incredible, and worth watching for the hat alone.  The relationship between Beecher and Keller is fascinating too. 

As for Schillinger: perhaps the greatest love-to-hate character ever.  He's cruel, sadistic and ruthless(but enough about his sons), yet you can't deny he's great to watch.  Well done J.K Simmons.

Timmy Kirk was pretty cool too.  If he and Ryan O'Reily could've worked together they might have made the Irish top dogs in the whole prison.

Post #: 26
RE: OZ - 2/7/2007 1:30:22 PM   
blackduck

It got a bit silly and rushed in the last series, the writers seemed in too much of a hurry to do nasty things to the characters, it would be set up one week and carried out the next. Which was a shame, one of the strengths to OZ was the build up and tension before a death/rape/mutilation or whatever. JK Simmons is one of the best small screen villains ever.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to superfurry)
Post #: 27
RE: Oz - 5/10/2007 3:38:21 PM   
Zaphod121

Ok so I just finished watching Season 1 recently and I love it, what a great show! I cant decide who's my favourite as I love them all (even though in some way or another there all bastards) best moment was probably when Beecher shat on JK Simmons face, brilliant! Must get Season 2.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 5/10/2007 3:39:04 PM >

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 28
RE: OZ - 6/10/2007 12:34:32 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

quote:

Do you know what's really odd about that?

In Oz is part of a prison in Baltimore right? Well the governor was in a a few times over the course of the series. Well, as you may know Homicide: Life On The Streets was set in Baltimore. The same guy who played the governor in Oz was the assistant DA in Homicide. Which is where Det. Munch comes in. Munch is in L&O: SVU too right? So in my weird view they're all part of the same universe so Keller is actually playing a cop while existing as an inmate in Oz.

[/Ramdomness]

a lot of OZ actors have guested or have had lead roles in law and order franchise-keller became stabler in SVU and dean winters was lead in 1st season of that show.
and of course j k simmons is mighty shrink emil skoda in all the L&O shows.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 6/10/2007 12:35:14 PM >

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 29
RE: OZ - 21/5/2008 7:25:41 PM   
benmharper

Rented the first season from my local library and watched the first 3 eps today. Bloody good show. Can't wait to finish it off tomorrow

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> OZ Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI