Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

In The Mouth Of Madness

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> In The Mouth Of Madness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In The Mouth Of Madness - 12/3/2007 7:47:13 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness - 12/3/2007 7:47:13 PM   
zombiewarehouse

An underrated Carpenter flick, Newman you're wrong here buddy, this is well crafted, and gave us a glimmer of hope that the man who made Halloween, The Thing and Escape From New York could still look something like a film maker. Sam Neill is on top form, the script is twisted, and there are a few genuine scares. Some of the supporting cast couldve been chosen better - Jurgen Prochnow?? And the monsters didnt really seem to suit this dark and unhappilly ending chiller. Carpenters best since 1982.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
KIM NEWMAN IN THE MOUTH OF NO IDOCY REVIEW. - 11/1/2008 10:34:46 PM   
Horrorguru

KIm Newman is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.
John Carpenters IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS is a brilliant cinematic tribute to the works of the genius H. P. LOVECRAFT.
We have seen so many apocalypse movies that rip off romero that its nice to see carpenters lovecraftian apocalypse.
everything about this movie is nightmarish and surreal. sam neill
gives a brilliant performance as john trent a insurance investigator sent out to look for missing novelist SUTTER CANE. whilst that is the main sway of the plot carpenter interweaves it with the slow breakdown of sanity and social cohesion within trents world. JURGHEN PROKNOW is brilliant as crazy stephen kingesque author SUTTER CANE.
i urge any fan of H.P.LOVECRAFT and carpenters earlier masterpiece THE THING to check out this underated gem of a movie out. i respect KIM NEWMAN as a author and a critic however i think he has shot himself in the foot with his negative review of this brilliant brilliant movie.

Post #: 3
it's quite good - 10/1/2009 1:48:15 PM   
dhowdy

Citizen Kane this film ain't, and as far as horror classics go (The SHining, The Exorcist, The Omen) it doesn't come close...but for some reason I find this film utterly watchable over and over and over again...it has a sentimental place in my heart and at times I find it quite chilling...Nevertheless each to their own. i enjoyed this film much more than I did say Lust, Caution. This is unpretentious popcorn fodder just what you need on a Friday night...

Post #: 4
it's quite good - 10/1/2009 1:48:26 PM   
dhowdy

Citizen Kane this film ain't, and as far as horror classics go (The SHining, The Exorcist, The Omen) it doesn't come close...but for some reason I find this film utterly watchable over and over and over again...it has a sentimental place in my heart and at times I find it quite chilling...Nevertheless each to their own. i enjoyed this film much more than I did say Lust, Caution. This is unpretentious popcorn fodder just what you need on a Friday night...

Post #: 5
In The Mouth Of Genius - 2/3/2009 7:48:18 PM   
Horrorguru

This film is one of the best Lovecraftian horrors ever, its ironic that carpenters old buddy Dan o bannon had only a few years earlier directed the underated The Ressurected (Based upon the case of charles dexter ward, by h.p. Lovecraft). This is carpenters return to Lovecraftian horror ( his first was of course THE THING). ITMOM is essentially a greatest hits of lovecraftian horror combined into a narrative about a insurance investigater looking for a author.
If you love H.P. Lovecraft, you will adore this Homage to the masters works. please ignore kim Newmans review, he is only jealous that carpenter directed a better pastiche of lovecrafts work than newman him self has written, sour grapes me thinks.

Post #: 6
RE: In The Mouth Of Genius - 15/10/2012 4:05:19 AM   
Phubbs

In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

Now this is your complete John Carpenter experience right here, the perfect type of film for his crazy ass imagination. Everything Carpenter made prior to this has elements all rolled in resulting in classic Carpenter horror mixed with body shock mutations.

The plot is creepy as it is surreal. Sam Neill is hired to find a missing horror writer in a small sleepy leafy US town, boy does Carpenter love small US towns. He must find 'Sutter Cane' and retrieve his final novel for publishing. Sounds simple eh? well think again.

When I first saw this film it creeped me out a lot, these days it doesn't have the same kind of punch but its still solid. Carpenter goes into overdrive here with lots of trademark icky effects and monsters, most of which look like ideas from 'The Thing'. As usual effects are created with models and puppets which do now look a bit hokey but plenty of makeup and prosthetics and good use of suggestion.

The whole film is extremely surreal and plays out like a nightmare, in fact the whole point is you don't know if it is a nightmare or reality. Pretty much anything goes really as Sam Neill goes nuts trying to get out of 'Hobb's End' and destroy the final evil horror manuscript. This surrealist approach does work and offers up plenty of weirdness which does equal some nice eerie moments, the ghostly boy cycling along the dark deserted highway at night being a good one.

The start of the film is definitely better than the second half and ending. The film is much more creepy as Neill and his female sidekick leave for and arrive at 'Hobb's End'. After Neill gets what he needs and we return to reality the film slightly loses its mysterious spooky essence, the final sequence is an interesting twist to make you think.

Basically a descent into madness for Neill's character, but we're not even sure if he is a real person or not, could it all be part of the horror novel itself?. Its left to your own thoughts really which is cool but annoying also hehe I like to know what happens period.

If your a Carpenter fan then this will appeal with tentacled monster puppetry, creepy kids running about, satanic references and all set within a 'Michael Myers' type town. Just don't expect too many final answers regarding characters and plot.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 15/10/2012 4:07:44 AM >

(in reply to Horrorguru)
Post #: 7
His last Masterpiece - 23/10/2012 3:12:56 PM   
Snake 4Skin

Kim Newman stop being a critic, stick solely to your unoriginal novels and GET A HAIRCUT you look silly!

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> In The Mouth Of Madness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI