Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres on Fox in April

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres on Fox in April Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 18/4/2007 12:01:37 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grunny

ok, so I just rewatched the title sequence and the Girl who's dad is dying isn't in the opening sequence

There's a girl missing from the car with the 3 girls (now 2) in the credits also.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 91
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 18/4/2007 5:04:04 PM   
Filmic Joe

Well, I finally got around to seeing the first three episodes.  And they're great.  Pity the show could well be cancelled without resolution.  Damn it.  Most of the characters are pretty interesting- I'm even starting to warm to the Lairds and Ivy after the  last episode.  Just don't cancel it like the Black Donnellys or Studio 60, okay America?

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 92
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 19/4/2007 8:27:55 PM   
Ethanial

Didn't realise it had aired until i read about how it only got 6 mill on imdb last night, glad i watched them though, i always choose the best shows to watch that end up cancelled, or most probably will be, just be glad Scrubs is still on, i guess.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 93
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 20/4/2007 5:08:46 AM   
nevergreen

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the reuniting of Mal Reynolds and Jubal Early in the opening scenes of the first episode. 

I was very impressed with Richard Brooks in 'Objects In Space' so I hope we see plenty of him in 'Drive'.

< Message edited by nevergreen -- 20/4/2007 5:09:27 AM >

"You were out of the trio a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

ďIím bored. Episode 1 bored.Ē

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 94
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 22/4/2007 10:29:51 PM   
some_guy

Well, I was a little skeptical at first, but I guess I was wrong.  I've watched the first two episodes, and although a little on the preposterous side, I've been very entertained so far.

Post #: 95
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 23/4/2007 10:30:59 AM   
Grunny

aww man Just Watched episode 3! the trucks gone
Good episode ending!

Did anyone else think the whole soldier dead thing might just be the game playing him!?! or were they just trying to show us some more of the other characters!?! 

ďPeople are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.Ē

(in reply to some_guy)
Post #: 96
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 23/4/2007 2:23:08 PM   
Joedini

So we're getting a long open ended hiatus after episode 6 ... well that's just swell
Apparently it has been planned for ages and has nothing to do with the ratings or the longevity of the show but still it doesn't sound good. I was starting to really like this show too.

Although one thing about episode 3, yeah Alex has a flash fast car now but seriously ... how could he have over taken everyone after being held back all this time? yeah I know suspend belief. And army guy's girlfriend wins my cleavage of the season award ... beating Lost's Nikki

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 97
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 23/4/2007 4:37:47 PM   
HIM

I'm liking this show too. Very Prison Break-y. One thing that bugged me though was the penalty that that woman had to do during the second episode.. She was meant to eliminate that hot blonde girl and was even given a gun to do so. Now by eliminate one would assume that it was to eliminate her from the race completely? So how is them teaming up together an elimination? She's still in the race and will still share the prize money should they win therefore she's not eliminated. It makes the people behind the race seem kind of soft. There's no threat about them even though they kidnapped Mal's wife. I really think they should have offed someone just to create a bit of drama. At the moment it's all a bit too lighthearted and panto villian-y and the racers are also too friendly towards each other. There's $32million at stake (and much more for some people) so where's all the backstabbing and underhanded tactics?

Despite these little niggles I still really like the show. Although they should definately have waited til the new season and touted it as 'this year's Prison Break'.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 98
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 23/4/2007 4:50:13 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

It makes the people behind the race seem kind of soft. There's no threat about them even though they kidnapped Mal's wife.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 99
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 23/4/2007 6:21:05 PM   
Grunny

quote:

I'm liking this show too. Very Prison Break-y. One thing that bugged me though was the penalty that that woman had to do during the second episode.. She was meant to eliminate that hot blonde girl and was even given a gun to do so. Now by eliminate one would assume that it was to eliminate her from the race completely? So how is them teaming up together an elimination? She's still in the race and will still share the prize money should they win therefore she's not eliminated. It makes the people behind the race seem kind of soft. There's no threat about them even though they kidnapped Mal's wife. I really think they should have offed someone just to create a bit of drama. At the moment it's all a bit too lighthearted and panto villian-y and the racers are also too friendly towards each other. There's $32million at stake (and much more for some people) so where's all the backstabbing and underhanded tactics?

Despite these little niggles I still really like the show. Although they should definately have waited til the new season and touted it as 'this year's Prison Break'.

I'm excepting this all to come into play the more the show goes on, at the moment some people are in for fun, some more serious reasons but I think the more it goes on, the more cunning and selfish the drivers will becomes, the games only just begun no point in showing all you've got, let the weak ones drop and then the real players will step forward and the determination will set in! oh yea. This show has the chance to have the most exciting and tense finale ever!

ďPeople are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.Ē

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 100
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 24/4/2007 12:52:11 AM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

I find it hard to express how much better this revised pilot is from the original I posted about earlier in the thread. It's almost unrecognisable, and a vast, vast improvement.

Any chance you could tell us what changes there were from the original pilot?

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 101
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 24/4/2007 9:31:44 AM   
Grunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

I find it hard to express how much better this revised pilot is from the original I posted about earlier in the thread. It's almost unrecognisable, and a vast, vast improvement.

Any chance you could tell us what changes there were from the original pilot?

yes, please do.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 102
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 24/4/2007 7:33:22 PM   
Filmic Joe

Sorry but this show is dead.  Last night's episode got less than 3 million- it's dropping every time.  USA today even listed the May 7th episode as the 'finale'...and production has wrapped, although it's not clear whether they completed the original 13 episode order or not.

At best, we'll see to the end of the season.  Not beyond.

Damn it.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 103
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 24/4/2007 7:39:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

It's a shame but not a shock. I hope we will get some sort of end to the storyline but I doubt it

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 104
RE: DRIVE - US Speed - 25/4/2007 8:46:35 AM   
Zaphod121

Well thats crap, but not really a suprise

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 105
RE: DRIVE - US Speed - 25/4/2007 12:15:56 PM   
Grunny

I seriously should stop watching TV!! evertyhing new, that I get into from the starts get cancelled!!

The Woe's of having good taste!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 106
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 25/4/2007 12:57:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

The wording used, though, was to make sure she wasn't in that car at the finish line. And she wasn't - as Martin Smith acknowledged. Nought wrong with playing semantics.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 107
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 9:55:04 AM   
Timon

Not really a revalation, but Aintitcool.com is confirming that DRIVE has been cancelled. Repeats of House MD will fill it's slot.

Woe is Tim Minear and The Fillion.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to some_guy)
Post #: 108
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 10:06:37 AM   
elab49

Heard this too but was trying to find confirmation it wasn't just someone confused about the break.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 109
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 10:38:12 AM   
Joedini

Bollocks

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 110
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 11:14:40 AM   
The Mighty

Damn you Fox. Airing Drive at this time of year was just a horrible idea. While all other shows are ending their seasons right about now, who in their right mind would think of starting one? It just doesnít make any sense. An audience would presume straight away that it held back so late because itís not very good, or not watch it because a show airing so late into the season will probably get cancelled anyway.

And what were Fox expecting? Even if the show was a massive hit, they only have 6 episodes worth of it to air. Then what? The show would have gone on hiatus for the rest of the summer, where it would have lost half its audience anyway. Havenít they been paying attention to anything thatís happened this season? If an established hit show canít keep itís audience after a few months hiatus, Lost, and a new hit show canít keep itís audience after a few months hiatus, Jerico, what chance does a new show ending at the end of the season only to be taken off during the summer have of keeping its audience.

Why didnít they just hold the show off until next year, advertise it as the new 24, or Prison Break, air it in either of those time slots, and create some sort of hype and confidence about the show. It just doesnít make any sense. The only reasoning I can see is that they just like to continually screw with Tim Minear. Isnít this the 4th time Fox has messed with him? Just let him go, Fox. Let him go to cable. Then maybe we can see one of his shows pan out.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 111
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 11:31:33 AM   
paulyboy

Cock it!

According to the story Timon mentioned they're not even going to finish out the last two episodes in their usual slots, instead they might get burned off on consecutive Friday's in May, might!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 112
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 12:30:45 PM   
Captain Black

I think it's easy to forget that people like us are probably the minority mindset of TV watchers, especially in Americaland, and I really have no idea what the masses expect from a show, what exactly would make them actually watch something.

Incidentally, isn't Jericho up against the aforementioned reality juggernaut and isn't Lost, suffering a combination of being on later and some criticism of its direction? It'll be interesting to see if network shift their business model at some stage, otherwise all the shows we'll be watching will be on cable.

If I was running Fox (and I'm wondering about the parameters for us to do a 'run your own fictional network' thread for a laugh) I'd have all my new shows premiere after American Idol or whatever POS reality show they've got that keeps the network aflot, then show it also at its regularly scheduled time.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 113
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 12:50:38 PM   
elab49

But at least over here there is a mindset on certain channels that they appreciate they are making some programmes that might not appeal to everyone - but try to reach all parts of the audience with different shows but occasionally hit one that appeals to all.

The US networks seem to think everything should be loved by everybody - and I do find it odd in one regard. Surely there must be some value in trying to reach other demographics, even with lower viewing figures. It is the 'who' that counts. Reality shows can't honestly be making such serious inroads into the higher demographics.

Their networks don't have a service ethos to serve all, which is fair enough - but you'd think their advertisors would want them to at least try to broaden their audience.

quote:

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 114
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 12:57:32 PM   
Timon

I don't know, you do get SOME networks like HBO and Showtime that make smarter, more adult orientated dramas - Sopranos, Rome, Sleeper Cell and The Tudors but their ratings are never great and it's a big deal if they get past two seasons....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 115
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 1:12:17 PM   
elab49

That's cable - not the networks. Different kettle of fish - thank heavens!

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 116
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 2:13:59 PM   
The Mighty

Youíre right about Lost, and although it makes back a healthy amount of itís ratings through people who record the show to watch it later, it still lost a few million viewers. This could be because people just didnít like it, but I think the figures from the episode before the hiatus to the episode after it show that it was a factor. I wasnít aware that Jericho was up against a ratings juggernaut, but it was still considered a hit during the first half of its season, while now itís on the bubble. Another example would be last years Commander and Chief. When it first aired, it was considered a hit, but was cancelled after its audience didnít return after its hiatus.

I think the only reason Studio 60 was kept around for so long was because the audience it attracted, although it small numbers, was a one the advertisers were after. But even that wasnít enough to keep it around. Today, networks only seem to care about the 18-49 demographic, and apparently that demographic only care about reality TV shows. Shark, a show that gets constantly high ratings, is apparently near cancellation because it doesnít cater to the 18-49 crowd. CSI:NY gets higher numbers that Lost each week, but Lost is considered the winner because of the audience it attracts.

But back to Drive. I donít think the reason is failed was because it wasnít what the audience was after, it was just aired way too late into the season. The show started off this low numbers, meaning it wasnít given a chance, but everyone who has seen it compares it to Prison Break, a high rated show.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 117
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 2:22:44 PM   
elab49

"It makes the people behind the race seem kind of soft. There's no threat about them even though they kidnapped Mal's wife"

Although you do wonder who killed Corinna's(?) parents.

And does anyone else wonder whether Acker is actually in on the whole thing? It seems they plan their choice of runners or riders over some length of time rather than out of thin air.

quote:

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 118
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 26/4/2007 9:14:59 PM   
Grunny

Episode 4 was great! anyone else seen it yet?!
I now approve of Tully having the new car, he moves it well

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 119
RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres o... - 30/4/2007 2:15:36 AM   
frankj

The driving sequences blow The Matrix Reloaded out of the water  - best use of CGI I've ever seen on TV. Seamless.

And apparently still not good enough to sustain a full season.
I was just getting over the loss of Studio 60 and Daybreak.

Fkers.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Mal Reynolds is back....sort of. DRIVE premieres on Fox in April Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI