Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

King Of The Hill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> King Of The Hill Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
King Of The Hill - 7/3/2007 4:10:11 PM   
The Knutsens

I watched the first few episodes of this a few years ago when it was first broadcast on channel 4 (i think) but never really liked it. I've heard it got a lot better in later seasons though so was thinking of maybe picking up a season or two to see if I like it.

i really do wanna like it so can any fans point me in the right direction?

George Costanza : "My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."

Annie Hall: It's so clean out here.
Alvy Singer: That's because they don't throw their garbage away, they turn it into television shows.
Post #: 1
RE: King Of The Hill - 12/3/2007 10:01:19 PM   
dr_finklestein

Unfortunately this show was always living in the shadow of the simpsons for being  nearly a documentary about a texan family. It had some great moments but they were too far apart to be considered a comedy and the story was a little to normal for it to be "toon-drama" so it was stuck between the two.

(in reply to The Knutsens)
Post #: 2
RE: King Of The Hill - 12/3/2007 10:34:08 PM   
Bickle

I love the show. I'd get the first five seasons as they're probably the best. If you can only get one, get 3. Or 4. 

(in reply to dr_finklestein)
Post #: 3
RE: King Of The Hill - 12/3/2007 10:40:04 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Knutsens

I watched the first few episodes of this a few years ago when it was first broadcast on channel 4 (i think) but never really liked it. I've heard it got a lot better in later seasons though so was thinking of maybe picking up a season or two to see if I like it.

i really do wanna like it so can any fans point me in the right direction?

If you're expecting a show similar to The Simpsons, Futurama, or Family Guy you'll be disappointed. King of the Hill doesn't rely on a collection of non sequiturs or punchy pop-culture references for laughs. It's purely a comedy of characterization.

Mike Judge's creation is often considered a biting send-up of southern good ol' boys, which is true, but he also makes the characters so endearing that the show is also a tribute to them.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post #: 4
RE: King Of The Hill - 13/3/2007 10:19:16 AM   
Reidy

I like King of the Hill. Got the first two series on DVD. Always found it to be more subtle a comedy than the other cartoon comedys.

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 5
RE: King Of The Hill - 13/3/2007 11:30:27 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I started watching this again recently, I watched all of seasons 6-10 and what's been shown of 11 and most recently I watched Season 1 again, it's really good despite not being a laugh a minute, it works hard to make you laugh and as has been said uses a lot of characterisation for jokes. If the episode is about Dale then you can expect a few more jokes in the episode than normal though.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 6
RE: King Of The Hill - 13/3/2007 1:44:51 PM   
soderbergh1

absolutely quality programme. i love it! i've got the first 4 seasons on dvd and season 5 will be the next dvd i buy. its not laugh-a-minute but it never tries to be. the humour is very subtle but the programme is all the better for it. and bobby is one of the best animated characters ever.

"Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy."

LAST 3 FILMS WATCHED:
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ***
Iron Man ***
Dasavatharam ***

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 7
RE: King Of The Hill - 13/3/2007 4:27:43 PM   
nadric

fantastic show, im watching the current run too.

for me it makes a good companion to the likes of south park and family guy. as has been said its not laugh out loud funny all the time. but thats fine, it reminds me of the royal family in that sense, well observed humour.

i remember seeing a few episodes not that long ago on ch4 i think, they were on very late and they didnt show that many. not a great way to treat any show. why it cant have a decent slot, even later at night, is beyond me.

(in reply to soderbergh1)
Post #: 8
RE: King Of The Hill - 23/3/2007 3:44:16 AM   
some_guy

I've always thought this show was better than the Simpsons.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> King Of The Hill Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI