Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 25/5/2010 10:52:13 AM   
pasoawe

This is a good discussion.It is helpfull to me.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 211
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 25/5/2010 2:19:55 PM   
elab49

Nice try. Sig deleted.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to pasoawe)
Post #: 212
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 10/6/2010 2:45:37 PM   
Gram123

Added:
KoreanDVDs.com (South Korea): http://www.koreandvds.com/

I'm not certain whether this is an company that used to operate, went out of business and have recently re-opened, or whether they're actually new. I might be getting confused with DVDFromKorea, but I could have sworn there used to be a KoreanDVD(s).com (with or with the "s").

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 213
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/6/2010 1:03:47 PM   
David

Well, playusa is for Region1 dvds only, they are good for getting Criterion but are still expensive.
I recommend the following sites:
www.axelmusic.com an excellent site, they will tell you if the BluRay is region free, which was great news for me as I got Watchmen Ultimate Edition - thats the version with Curse of the Black Freighter integrated into the main film (which is also the directors cut version) making the film much more in touch with the comicbook. That was only 35 incl shipping and it arrived in 5 working days.
But, I tend to use www.find-dvd.co.uk, as they show all sites (except axelmusic) showing dvds & blurays but show who does it cheaper. Sometimes there is only 50p to 2.00 difference between these sites and amazon.
Although, play.com are great, they also can be very expensive on BluRays compared to Amazon. Do be careful.

I'm Ron Burgundy?

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 214
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 15/6/2010 2:25:57 PM   
elab49

Am I right in thinking Find DVD is just R2/Uk, though?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/6/2010 2:26:32 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to David)
Post #: 215
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 15/6/2010 2:38:57 PM   
Gram123

Yes, indeed you are.

I usually use:

Find-DVD for UK (R2) releases.
DVD Price Search for US (R1) releases.
DVD Plaza's Price Crawler for Australian (R4) releases.

Occasionally, I'll also check the only multi-region ones I'm aware of - Happy Hunter and DVD Price Check (Whatever the Region). They're mostly useful for R1 and R2 comparisons in my experience - not quite so good on DVDs from other regions.

It'd be great if there was one that checked East Asian DVD sites, but it seems unlikely as to be truly useful they'd have to include those HK ones that are based in the US, as well DVD stores in HK, Japan, S. Korea, Thailand, Malaysia and beyond. Same goes for a Europe-wide comparison site.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 15/6/2010 2:40:17 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 216
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 14/7/2010 7:06:48 PM   
elab49

dvdboxoffice appears to have gone the way of the Dodo.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 217
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 15/7/2010 10:41:27 AM   
Gram123

Noted and checked.
They might re-open, or fix their broken website or whatever, in which case I'll add them back in, but for now, I've removed them from the list in post 1.

I had another good experience with Thai site eThaiCD recently, and I have an open order with US site ImportCDs, so hopefully that'll be smooth, too. Both are already in their respective "recommended" sections, like.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 218
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 15/7/2010 10:51:12 AM   
adambatman82

I've had nothing but trouble with DVDworldUSA.com this week. They answered an enquiry made prior to ordering within minutes, but since I've ordered they've gone silent. My order is still "pending" in spite of the item being in stock and "shipping within 24 hours" when I ordered it (and is still being advertised as so), and they've ignored any subsequent emails from myself.

I should have stuck with Movietyme.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 219
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 16/7/2010 12:04:20 PM   
tftrman

Did you get it sorted Adam? Think I'm just going to get Insomnia off Movietyme.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 220
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 16/7/2010 2:49:15 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123
I have an open order with US site ImportCDs, so hopefully that'll be smooth, too.

And indeed it was. The DVDs were shipped to a US address (to be brought over by visiting rellies), and it was all A-ok.

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
I've had nothing but trouble with DVDworldUSA.com this week. They answered an enquiry made prior to ordering within minutes, but since I've ordered they've gone silent. My order is still "pending" in spite of the item being in stock and "shipping within 24 hours" when I ordered it (and is still being advertised as so), and they've ignored any subsequent emails from myself.

I should have stuck with Movietyme.

I guess I haven't come across DVDworldUSA before, as they're not in the first post of this thread. Whether they come through and turn a bad situation good, or whether they continue to mess you about, keep us informed, and I'll add them in and mark with a +ve or -ve rating.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 221
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 26/7/2010 3:04:23 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Has anyone ordered from Tesco Entertainment before?

It states on their website that they don't take payment for pre-orders until the item is dispatched but I ordered the Supernatural Blu Ray set the other day and there is a similar amount of pennies missing from my account (will have to wait a few days for it to turn up on statement) Anyone else had this problem before?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 222
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 26/7/2010 3:11:11 PM   
elab49

It would seem odd given their guarantee to charge you the lower of the pre-order price and price on day of shipping. I've used them before but not for pre-orders.

I'd phone them and ask - I've found their Customer Services OK previously.

quote:

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 223
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 26/7/2010 7:25:25 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I emailed them instead and they emailed back saying they don't take payment until dispatch and that if it's showing up on my statement then I should contact my bank because sometimes they take the amount in reserve so the money is available when they dispatch. I've never heard of anything like that before and my bank has never done it to me. Obviously I'm only going on the 'available balance' at the moment and I'll have to wait and see what shows up on my statement over the next couple of days.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 224
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 26/7/2010 7:38:39 PM   
elab49

Companies regularly put attachments on your bank account when you reserve hotel rooms and stuff like that. I have never heard it done for a DVD pre-order before. They are effectively stopping you using the money for months. I'm not entirely sure their T&Cs (which I went back and read) allow them to do that either. I'm guessing whoever answered the e-mail didn't fully take on board they were dealing with a DVD not due out till October.

quote:

Post #: 225
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 27/7/2010 1:54:19 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Well now I'm just confused. I rang the bank and mentioned the problem and they said there is a transaction for Tesco for 48.42 pending. I asked what this meant and they said well the money has been set aside for the transaction. I asked if Tesco had requested the funds all Barclays kept saying was that there was a transaction pending and not actually telling me if Tesco had requested the funds even when I mentioned it was for a pre-order and they shouldn't be taking the funds for three months. The kind lady then stated that if the funds weren't taken by the 30th then the funds would become accessible again. I just don't get it! It's never happened before, I'm just going to wait until the 30th and see what happens.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 226
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 11/8/2010 9:30:19 PM   
Groovy Mule

I am having lots of problems with Play.com at the moment.

Very slow at delivering DVDs.  Been waiting 11 days and still waiting.  Poor, rude and unhelpful customer service on the phone.  Customer service online take 3 days to respond to emails.

Indicative of more serious problems?  Either way, I have just cancelled all of my pre-orders with them.

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

Post #: 227
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 2/10/2010 10:44:17 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Has anyone used BTR Direct?

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 228
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 3/10/2010 1:23:10 AM   
Gram123

And while you're responding to Paul's q, has anyone used:

Base.com
Price Minister
Coolshop
Shopto
Gift Of Sound

?

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 229
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 22/11/2010 10:14:19 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

yeah i'd like to know if base.com is any good, they have Swordfish cheapest online on BD.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 230
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 23/12/2010 8:55:19 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Has anyone used Blu Bastard before? They specialize in region free BluRays and was thikning of using them.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 231
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 23/12/2010 9:27:16 AM   
UTB

Their name doesn't inspire confidence... 

Post #: 232
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 23/12/2010 9:28:43 AM   
elab49

I'm afraid I haven't but I think someone said in the Critierion thread that about 80% of Blu Rays are region free anyway? So the bulk of most shops stock would be region free? (Sorry if I've picked that up wrong, but it was in the last couple of pages of the Criterion thread I think).

quote:

Post #: 233
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 23/12/2010 9:42:43 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Ah I forgot to mention they're imported region free Blu-Rays such as this one that I'm after as it's not sold in the UK:

http://www.blubastard.com/product.php?id_product=427

I think I might take a leap of faith and see what happens. You don't know unless you try. It will work out slightly cheaper than ordering it from Amazon US and I won't have customs to worry about as they're posted from London apparently.

They certainly talk a good talk:

quote:

Who the Blu Bastard is
Blu Bastard is an independent online Blu-Ray store founded in 2009 as a premier source for US Region-Free Blu-Rays. Realizing customers don't want to waste 6 months waiting for a movie that is already available in the US, Blu Bastard sources Blu Rays as soon as they're released and dispatches from London for swift delivery and no customs charge.

Our motto is simple: Give what the customers want. Blu Bastard aims to be the most customer-centric company on the web and has already begun by responding to what the customers want: FREE Delivery (in the UK and Europe), excellent customer service (most enquiries are responded to within 4 hours) and Blu Bastard Loyalty Points - we're honored that you selected us to do business with and want to respond in kind by providing you discounts for future orders.

The Blu Bastard team
Blu Bastard wouldn't be what it is without its team and we have the most qualified team available to handle your queries, process your orders and dispatch your stuff. Our team are customers themselves and every week we discuss ways to improve our site from new technological features to a more efficient delivery process. And above all they care about movies - our staff are passionate about their work and this is reflected in their job performance.

But you don't need to work for Blu Bastard to be a Blu Bastard. We like to think that every customer is a Blu Bastard at heart and if you have any suggestions for future improvements or features on our site, or maybe you want us to stock a Blu-Ray currently not listed, we'd be glad to hear those comments to bring up in the next staff meeting.

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 23/12/2010 9:46:29 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 234
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 4/1/2011 4:53:09 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Groovy Mule

I am having lots of problems with Play.com at the moment.

Very slow at delivering DVDs. Been waiting 11 days and still waiting. Poor, rude and unhelpful customer service on the phone. Customer service online take 3 days to respond to emails.

Indicative of more serious problems? Either way, I have just cancelled all of my pre-orders with them.

I never had good experiences with them, ordered a DVD off them which never received, when pointed this out they more or less insinuated I was lying but sent another one after about a month. Never had day's bother with Amazon.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 235
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 7/2/2011 11:40:43 AM   
Stuntgoat

I think Playusa is closing down as they haven't added any new titles in months. I emailed them to ask if it was closing and they said the lack of titles must be a problem with my internet!! Why they can't just admit it i don't know.

We're gonna need a bigger boat!
PSN: Stuntgoat

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 236
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 25/3/2011 1:24:50 PM   
elab49

Now HKflix is defunct, is there a reliable site still in R3 that covers various territories? I know Yesasia is still around but I've always found it a very expensive site, much much more so than HKFlix. I've used DDDHouse along time back, and EthaiCD is useful, but far from comprehensive. Are any of these sites comparable?

Also - I've used SeoulSelection many times now - I can't remember if the rating is for number of individuals rating or for number of transactions.

quote:

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 237
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 30/4/2011 3:25:25 AM   
Gram123

Wow, I'm outta touch.
Just read your last post in this thread, elab. Sorry for the very late reply. Didn't realise HKFlix was defunct, but come to think of it, I stopped receiving ad mails from them a little while ago.

Like you, I used HKFlix quite a bit for my East Asian imports, though mainly for Hong Kong films, most of which were R0.
I've used PlayAsia, YesAsia and DVDAsian, K2DVD and eThaiCD from the "Recommended" section, and Buyoyo, Sensasian and Five Star Laser from the "Awaiting" section.

None of them are always the cheapest (hence, I've tried a few), but for me, PlayAsia has been the cheapest and best stocked the most frequently.
DVDAsian is usually at the more expensive end, but they do tend to stock Korean films that several of the HK-based stores don't stock. AsianDB is also on the costly side.
DDDHouse does seem good on prices when I remember to check it. K2 and Seoul Selection you're obviously aware of.
Sensasian are sometimes good on prices and often have free international shipping, but don't stock so many R3s.

Then there are some other stores not included in the first post. Han Books sells a small selection of R3 DVDs. MallKee sells mixed E. Asian DVDs, Malaysian site ZoomMovie has a Korea section.

Finally, you could look into some of the Korean sites that I haven't thus far checked, so don't know whether they ship to the UK (and the sites will be in Korean, so you'll need a translator open).
Example sites:

CineCine - http://dvd.cinecine.co.kr/dvd_category.asp?p_code=9
Kyobo - http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/indexDvd.laf?mallGb=DVD
SnJ Mall / Smile DVD - http://www.snjmall.co.kr/dvd/product/pList_n9.asp?sel_a=A0012&sel_b=B0100&sel_c=C3057&ListLimit=40&realstock=&dMode=&oClass=&colClass=

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 238
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 30/4/2011 8:37:22 AM   
elab49

By coincidence with this post (thank you for the rundown, it's really appreciated), Yesasia - the very expensive Yesasia - are currently having an 80% off sale. AMong other things I picked up my eagerly awaited Gallants for only a couple of pounds 

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 239
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 30/4/2011 10:23:55 PM   
Gram123

Is Gallants still going cheapo? The only ones I can see on there are 10 or 11.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI