Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/11/2009 2:43:27 PM   
Rumbaabaa

I'm actually wanting to buy three box sets - together they are around £20 plus £1.20 postage, seperately they are £6.50 plus £1.20. Would therefore it be advisable to buy seperately to avoid any chances of customs charges?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 181
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/11/2009 2:54:11 PM   
elab49

Is this buying from the US on Amazon UK? Because you're under on the Amazon US postage. £1.44 odds is Uk postage (for 3 DVDs £2ish). From the US postage for a single DVD starts at £4.

First, though, check and see if the US DVDs are available on the UK site  - then, if you buy on Amazon UK, even though the trader is in the US, you only get charged UK delivery (although the price might reflect this). See if that works out cheaper though. And remember even if you buy from the same trader they will charge as if 3 separate shipments.

If from the US, and Amazon proper, then you're total postage for one shipment is £7 with a possible customs hit of around £9.

If you break down to 2 shipments you have a shipment cost of £9.40 with no real danger of a customs hit (although a technical rule does say, somewhere, if Customs suspect a shipment has been broken down to evade tax they might assess on the whole BUT!!! - I have never ever heard of this actually happening.).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 182
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/11/2009 3:05:59 PM   
Rumbaabaa

I'm pretty sure I can't it from a UK seller.

It's via Amazon UK but the actual seller is a third-party retailer in the US. Numerous third-party retailers are listed but all give £1.21 as the shipping price - not sure if this is some kind of arrangement they have with Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0007GADU4/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1258037997&sr=1-1&condition=all

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 183
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/11/2009 3:12:23 PM   
elab49

I meant a 3rd party retailer. It isn't an arrangement with Amazon - if they list on Amazon Uk then they abide by Amazon UK shipping rates. Just the same if you bought from a UK lister on Amazon US - you'd pay the US site rates.

I don't think you need to worry then - most 3rd party retailers treat each purchase as separate and very few combine, particularly overseas retailers. SO you're worrying for nothing - you'll pay 3 shipping charges and the parcel will miss customs. (Unless you've got scum for a seller who takes the 3 charges and sends one package but that's what you use the feedback ratings for).

quote:

I want to buy a few DVDs from the US Amazon site

This was your original question - but you're actually buying from the UK site. It doesn't matter where the trader is based.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 184
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/11/2009 4:39:01 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Oh, okay. Thanks very much - your help has been much appreciated!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 185
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 16/12/2009 2:50:33 AM   
Sad Professor

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

No confirmation, because you never know whether the parcel will be picked up or not - if it is quite big then it is more likely. But Mount Pleasant aren't that random I don't think!

Technically, anything over £18 may be picked up - by £18 that is the value of the good itself, not the good plus shipping.

Duty is calculated on that and, if under around £7 isn't charged - costs too much to collect. BUT VAT will be applied on the value plus postage. For a single normal DVD just over the limit that'll only be a couple of pounds at most BUT you also have to pay the Royal Mail extortion/clearance fee of £8 - and that's the bugger. So if buying from abroad always assume you'll have to pay when working out if it will be cheaper.

But I can't remember the last time I got hit for single or a couple of DVDs in a flatpack.

Does that make sense? What does the "if under £7" bit mean? Is £7 the threshold for duty? Here it's like €150.

How strict is Her Majesty's Customs on the £18 limit? Would you get stung for being a quid or few over?

Ye in the UK have it lucky though in fairness. Here in Ireland anything over the value of €22 outside of the EU is subject to a VAT charge. Play.com, Sendit, The Hut, Amazon (IndigoStarfish) and all the others on the tax fiddle out of the Channel Islands are technically outside the EU so we get shafted. There's no way a company could set up shop in Ireland and compete with them and people end up using the Channel Islands websites anyway. Usually not realising they'll be charged VAT on orders over €22 cause they assume it's "in England".

Royal Mail don't recognise  Ireland  -as in the 26 county variety I live in- as being connected to Northern Ireland - as in part of the UK - and they just charge Ireland as "Europe". I highly highly doubt it costs the same to send a DVD from London to Dublin than it does from London to Cyprus, just for arguments' sake!

Anyway, yeah, it's funny looking at ye talking about getting hit with additional tax on imports when we in Ireland who buy plenty from the Channel Islands websites get stung!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 186
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 16/12/2009 10:02:38 AM   
elab49

They are strict on the £18 but they aren't strict in checking every single parcel - so over £18 doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a charge. Anecdotal comments previously indicated the bods at Mount Pleasant tended to go for 'recognised' boxes - ie they knew the bulk stuff coming in from Play or certain overseas site as well as bigger boxes. I had parcels come through at several hundreds pounds that went chargeless - because the items were small, flat and a small flat envelopes!

quote:

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 187
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 23/12/2009 11:32:52 AM   
Gram123

I've moved CDWow out of the Various Regions > Recommended and into the Various Regions > Awaiting +/- rating section.

I've seen a number of people diss them, so it's probably about time. I recently used them myself for the first time in years, and had a generally poor experience:

A week after I'd made my order, I went to the site to check if anything was happening with it. Nothing was, of course, but I noticed that the item I had on order had dropped in price. I contacted them, but they refused to honour this price drop for me.
So I tried to cancel my order instead, intending to re-order at the reduced price, but cancellation has to be done by email and they take 24+ hours to respond.
When they did respond, they claimed that the item had already shipped, even though the order status on the site still said "Pending Dispatch", and their T&Cs state that any item in "Pending Dispatch" status can be cancelled.
I emailed them again (another day's delay), and suddenly (within minutes) the status of my order changed to Dispatched.
From that point, the item then took 14 days to arrive, somewhat outside of their 5-7 days claim (so had it really dispatched when they said it had? Or is it just that their estimated delivery time is bollocks?).

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 23/12/2009 11:35:18 AM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 188
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 23/12/2009 11:55:00 AM   
elab49

Few too many coincidences there not too assume something's dodgy, IMO. Or just really shoddy consideration for customers. CDWow take your cash up front, don't they?

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 189
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 23/12/2009 12:04:39 PM   
Gram123

Ah. Yes, you're probably right.
That explains why they don't honour price drops (partial refund), and why they seem reluctant to let people cancel orders (full refund).

I'm not saying that they definitely lied to me, pretending the item had shipped when it hadn't, but it does seem a bit fishy...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 190
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 16/1/2010 11:46:31 PM   
elab49

nammi.is - anyone used it? Seems to be an English language Icelandic site. There is a DVD section that has an Eng subbed Icelandic film I was looking for.

quote:

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 191
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 19/1/2010 4:39:26 PM   
Gram123

Not used it, I'm afraid.

What I can tell you is they've been trading since 1993 and are an established store (rather than just an online seller). They are owned by a company called SG Veitingar Ehf.
"Nammi" translates as "Candy" (part of Nammi is a sweet shop). "Veitingar" translates as "Meals".

There's an entry for them at Iceland Trade Directory, here:  http://www.icetradedirectory.com/icelandexport2/english/company/?dt=1&company_id=1313633d-19be-4e2b-ac23-3bedf6f85445, which details their address, phone number etc.

Their shop is located in Iceland's largest shopping mall, Smáralind (http://www.smaralind.is/) - you can see the listing on that site under Verslanir >  Veitingastaðir  (i.e. Shops > Restaurants).

There's a wee story about the store exporting sweets to the US here: http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2007/10/30/islenskt_nammi_vinsaelt_vestanhafs/

And from the opposite end, here's a US site's review of goods purchased from Nammi.is:
http://www.weeklydig.com/department-commerce/eats-drinks/eats/200710/sampling-iceland-s-sweet-spot

Can't find any reviews or anything from people who've ordered DVDs, but have seen them mentioned on Twitch: http://twitchfilm.net/news/2009/08/an-good-way-to-get-icelandic-dvds-could-be.php
and when people have asked where to buy Icelandic films, Iceland Review_Online seem to point them towards Nammi.

I also found an alternative - nordicstore.net (http://www.nordicstore.net/icelandic_music_dvd_movies_84_ct.htm), which again appears to be an established shop shipping Icelandic goods overseas, and has a DVD section.

HTH

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 19/1/2010 4:42:58 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 192
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 19/1/2010 5:06:23 PM   
elab49

Do we know the name of the managers dog?!?

More than enough to give it a go there, I think - although Iceland is a tad expensive it seems. Approx. £30 for DVD plus shipping. Still - hopefully worth it. I'll update rating when/if it arrives.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 193
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 19/1/2010 5:11:37 PM   
FritzlFan

How are MovieMail with their delivery times? Sansho Dayu at £9.99 is a pretty good deal, but the notoriously slow Zavvi have it slightly cheaper.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 194
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 19/1/2010 5:20:55 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Do we know the name of the managers dog?!?

Well, the MD is called Sófus Gústafsson, but he only refers to his dog as Hvutti.

quote:

More than enough to give it a go there, I think - although Iceland is a tad expensive it seems. Approx. £30 for DVD plus shipping. Still - hopefully worth it. I'll update rating when/if it arrives.

I take it you'll have checked for it at nordicstore.net and it's the same or more expensive?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 195
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 19/1/2010 5:33:59 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan
How are MovieMail with their delivery times? Sansho Dayu at £9.99 is a pretty good deal, but the notoriously slow Zavvi have it slightly cheaper.

Your experience may differ from mine with Zavvi, I guess. I've always found they deliver in an average amount of time. Never had any reason to consider them "notoriously slow".

I've only used MovieMail once and the DVD took about a week to arrive.

I've used Zavvi about 8 times since it changed hands, and parent company The Hut at least 30 times. The DVDs from both tend to take about a week to arrive.

When I've bought DVDs from Amazon, Play, HMV, Power Play Direct, DVD.co.uk, Blah DVD etc, they tend to take about a week to arrive...........

The only UK stores I've used that I would class as "notoriously slow" would be Sendit and SelectCheaper. Sendit are ok if you're willing to wait, but I think they might have a policy similar to CDWow, where they have to order the items in before shipping to the customer.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 196
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 19/1/2010 11:06:28 PM   
elab49

And Blackstar/Sendit used to be one of the best before they moved

Nordic didn't have the DVD I'm afraid. Looking round both sites I think Iceland is trying to recoup their bankruptcy from online sales.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 197
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 27/1/2010 1:37:36 PM   
elab49

Well, chalk up one recommendation for www.nammi.is - shipping from Iceland is a little expensive, but the DVD arrived safely, promptly, site is in English and the transaction went smoothly.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 198
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 27/1/2010 3:24:48 PM   
jcthefirst

Anybody know why some dvds on lovefilm are unavailble for rental? Such as Funny People or Inglorious Basterds.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 199
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 27/1/2010 3:38:05 PM   
elab49

They've apparently had spats with the distributors - Public Enemies was a nogo for a while as well and possibly still. I think it's Universal their issue is with?

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 200
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 27/1/2010 3:39:07 PM   
elab49

"Universal Pictures International Entertainment (UPIE) is refusing to sell new releases to UK online rental operators LoveFilm International (LFI) and OutNow or allow them to buy stock from third party suppliers, unless they agree to new terms of trading. Similar restrictions apply to the almost 50 rental kiosks operated in the UK by MovieBooth and Coinstar's DVDXpress. In a separate move, Twentieth Century-Fox Home Entertainment UK is understood to be seeking to introduce both a 28-day window between street date and kiosk availability, and new revenue-sharing terms. As a result, Coinstar is reported to have decided not to stock Fox titles in its UK kiosks. "

From November

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 201
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/1/2010 11:07:00 AM   
jcthefirst

That sucks. I really want to see both those movies. Hope it gets sorted soon, otherwise I might have to go into a video store and...talk to...people.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 202
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/1/2010 11:25:24 AM   
Gram123

Update:

To post 1 of this thread, I've now added the following, all of which are in English and ship internationally:

CDon.com (Finland)
Nammi.is (Iceland)
Nordic Store (Iceland)

CDIreland (Co. Louth)
Tower Records Ireland (Dublin)
ShopIreland.ie - Amazon.co.uk's Ireland portal

I've removed Russian site DVDigitall, as the page http://www.dvdigitall.com/ has said "Coming Soon" for over a year, with no sign of change, so they're clearly not trading.

Oh, and the DVD section of 4CheapCDs is now back up and running, after being suspended for a long period, so comment removed.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 203
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 11/2/2010 11:03:03 AM   
Gram123

Small update

I was looking to see if Serbian animated film Technotise: Edit i Ja (Technotise: Edit & I) had been released on DVD in its native country yet, and came across this Serbian online DVD store.

YuForYou (London & Serbia) - http://www.yu4you.com/trazi.php?vrsta=dvd&sort=1&&limit=-1&lang=en (site partially in English)

The link provided is to a 10 page section containing DVDs with English subs. Clicking the Srpski button at the top right of the page brings up many more DVDs, though these don't have English subs.

A quick search suggests they're a decent, safe store, with people reporting positive experiences.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 204
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 11/2/2010 11:29:38 AM   
elab49

Good to know - I've found a few generally from the region on the site (Bosnia/Fyrom/Serbia etc) and all seem to be  their with Eng subs. I'll maybe try it next month (I went on a mini-spree yesterday!)

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 205
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/2/2010 7:43:26 PM   
elab49

I've had an e-mail from a site called www.dvdxl.co.uk which says it is the people who ran dvdslimited. I only used that site a couple of times as it was quite expensive, but it did seem to have some fans round here. I can't remember how it left its transactions when the site closed but if people want to give it a go, that's the link, not a recommendation.

quote:

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 206
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 7/4/2010 9:10:03 PM   
hampstead bandit

I've personally used Play.com for some years now, for DVD, PC games and more recently Blu-Rays (and occasionally classic DVDs that are unavailable on HD)

no problems to report, find it takes 4-5 days from placing the order, to receiving the package

prices seem good on new releases, especially if pre-ordering

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 207
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 25/4/2010 5:06:06 PM   
Nostromo.

What is the general opinion on PlayUSA these days? I know it has a positive rating but I don't hear it mentioned as much by people any more and was wondering if the standard was still good? Cheers guys and gals. 

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 208
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 27/4/2010 5:15:36 PM   
elab49

Quick note - some site called quemart is signing up and not only posting but e-mailing other users (the idiots included me).

Please delete the e-mails and, if you receive them, please let a mod know so we can make sure the ID is canned.

quote:

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 209
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 17/5/2010 5:15:20 PM   
Gram123

When I've used Find-DVD of late, a handful of stores have been included that I haven't used or heard much about.
Some look rather "partisan", but of the more general DVD stores, has anyone had any experience using the following?
Are they reputable?

Base.com (http://www.base.com/)
Coolshop (http://www.coolshop.co.uk) - blocked by my work internet, so I'm guessing it's mainly a game store.
ShopTo (http://www.shopto.net/)
991.com (http://991.com/)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI