Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommended online DVD shops

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD shops Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 9/7/2009 5:07:43 PM   
elab49

I think DVD.se may have gone byebye - I've been trying it for about 3 weeks now and nothing.

Are there any other Swedish sites?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 151
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 10/7/2009 1:02:30 PM   
Gram123

Yeah, you're right. I'll remove DVD.se shortly.

SweDisc.com were removed from the P1 list a while back, cos they only ship within Sweden and "other Nordic countries". Plus I think they only sell US R1s.

After some fresh searching, I learned, in rising order of usefulness....

- DiscShop.se only ship within Sweden.
- Ginza only ship within Sweden.
- Megastore.se only ship to Sweden, Denmark and Finland.

- DVD Huset - http://www.dvdhuset.com/index.php
- don't know if they deliver ("leverans") internationally - might have to register and put something in your basket to see for certain.
- Home Enter Filmclub - http://www2.homeenter.com/cds/showpage.asp?nodeid=346449 - Can't find out, but looks doubtful. Need to register to confirm.
- Papercut - http://www.papercutshop.se/ - same, doesn't look likely, but not certain.

- Bengans - http://www.bengans.se/default.aspx - finally, a Swedish store that appears to ship internationally. Yay!

Oh, and you've also got the Swedish CDWow: http://www.cdwow.se/DVD, which I presume would ship internationally too, but they're likely to be just the same as our CDWow.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 10/7/2009 1:05:26 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 152
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 23/7/2009 11:12:16 PM   
losthighway

Help! I'm trying to find this:

Elab has recommended this thread... never seen it before tbh  Also suggested trying a Spanish site called DVDGo and that looked great - came to about 6 before P&P but it wouldn't let me add it to the basket or tell me how much the overall total came to!  So, I went and looked elsewhere on the net - primarily EbayUK (no good!) and the Amazon sites where the cheapest I found it was with DeeVaaDee for 22 total.

Any further help appreciated...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 153
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 23/7/2009 11:34:00 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure why you're having a problem with clicking compranar and the basket - maybe a momentary glitch? Worked fine for me and the 30% discount comes off in the basket too. Total cost with shipping is abut 18.50 BUT as I said, it works better with multiple purchases because DVDGo actually use a 48 courier service rather than normal mail (and it really is that quick!) - so shipping is about 11.50 with 2 VAT added.

Of course, the Euro is a bugger at the moment. BUt maybe if you have a look round the site and see what else is available over there, the overall cost/DVD might make it economic for you?

Still - it's nice to know I can get rid of my copy at a profit if I ever sort out my Ebay listings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 154
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 24/7/2009 9:59:28 AM   
losthighway

18.50... hmmm, bit pricey for a blind buy.  11.50 for shipping is very steep (even if it is 48hr delivery!).  I'm used to it being 1.21 with caimanusa!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 155
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 24/7/2009 10:04:21 AM   
Gram123

I'll get onto the specific film query shortly.

Right now... I noticed that there was only 1 DVD store based in Spain listed (DVDGo), so I've found some more:

Elcorteingleshttp://www.elcorteingles.es/tiendas_e/cda/Cine/Eci/Home/0%2C4051%2CECI%2CFF.html
I think this is a supermarket - the link is for the DVD section.

fnac.eshttp://www.fnac.es/dsp/?servlet=home.HomeServlet&Code1=665164233&Code2=831
We had fnac in France and Brazil. Now we have the Spanish one too.

Gong Discos  - http://www.gongdiscos.com/peliculas.asp

Stars Cafe - http://www.starscafe.com

I've checked and can confirm that all 4 ship internationally including the UK. All 4 sites are in Spanish.

A couple of others were no-goes: MD Movies Distribution and DavidVS both only ship to Spain, Portugal, Andorra, the Canary & Balaeric islands. And OfertaDVD is now part of / related to DVDGo.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 156
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 24/7/2009 10:38:52 AM   
Gram123

Ok, Possession:

Australian release is PAL / NTSC conversion.

Spanish release has a different soundtrack.

Either the US release or non-Spanish Euro releases appear to be the way to go. It's a French / German co-production, so you'd think a DVD from one of those two countries would be best, but I can't find info on English subtitles on those releases (sous-titre / untertitels respectively). The French release is 14.99 from Amazon France.

Best bet I can find at present is the Anchor Bay R1 SE (which includes a commentary). You can get it on import from Amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers for just under 15 (+ 1.21 delivery), though it has a different sleeve to the image you posted:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 157
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 24/7/2009 10:52:48 AM   
barkers101

This is what i got

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270377438919&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&salenotsupported

make an offer of 1.99 and he accepts then that is just under a fiver in total.

"Man is born crying, When he has cried enough, he dies"

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

I will join as long as we can spell Mozoguchi's name right

Vote for you Favourite World Cinema DVD here!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 158
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 24/7/2009 10:55:40 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

18.50... hmmm, bit pricey for a blind buy.  11.50 for shipping is very steep (even if it is 48hr delivery!).  I'm used to it being 1.21 with caimanusa!

As am I but, as I said, it turns up delivered by someone like DHL rather than your postie.

I'd avoid the Aussie release as it apparently has cuts.

I'd checked Amazon France and tried to track down the release details - the film actually has an English soundtrack and I don't generally have a problem with those being still there from Amazon France but as I know there is also a French language audio provided for this film I wanted to make sure the Eng one was still included as an option - it is very likely but the French are particularly bad at making DVDs French only I've found.

I'd suggest using Babelfish and sending a query to Amazon (or if the DVD has individual sellers, to them). Just ask if there is an Eng lang audio - in general buying from Amazon Fr on this one looks the cheapest way (and from the site itself it really - quite amazingly - still only takes a couple of days!)

quote:

Post #: 159
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 24/7/2009 4:41:28 PM   
losthighway

Thanks you guys!   

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 160
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 24/7/2009 9:56:29 PM   
elab49

http://www.k2dvd.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=82&location=Search&genre=

That Ebay cost is still making a profit on this - Losthighway just in case you're worried, they made clear ages ago they didn't have a link to the site you may have lost money on. Lots of us on here have used this

quote:

Post #: 161
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 1/10/2009 6:47:33 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Does anyone know much about Movies & Games Online? They are selling a boxset I want that is impossible to find, and I'm thinking about purchasing it from their site.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 162
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 1/10/2009 9:40:55 PM   
Gram123

Strangely enough, the address for Movies & Games Online is in Teesside, quite near where I live.

They get a not very impressive 2/5 rating on Shopsafe: http://www.shopsafe.co.uk/dvivid.asp

I have seen other people on games forums mentioning buying things from this company, but nothing rating them positively or negatively.
The only review I've found to date is negative (1/5 for non receipt of goods) at XomReviews here: http://www.xomreviews.com/moviesandgamesonline.co.uk

I tried to send you an email with a little more info (via Empire), as my PMs are not working. Let me know if you don't receive that.
Suffice to say, personally, I'd avoid this store.

Let us know what you're after, we may be able to help you find it elsewhere.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 163
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 1/10/2009 9:49:29 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Yeah I got it there. Thanks very much .

The boxset I found was the Fu Manchu collection starring Christopher Lee. It contains the first 3 films, and is priced at 26.

I thought it might be handy because the boxset, as well as the DVDs individually, are being sold on Amazon Marketplace and PlayTrade for nearly 50.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 164
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 1/10/2009 10:51:01 PM   
Gram123

I've been having a look around, but I can't find it either. Thought I had it for a moment, at 20-odd, on Amazon.de, but translation website reveals it's out of stock.
The individual titles don't seem to be in stock new anywhere either. I'm guessing that means the company who held the rights (Momentum?) have let them lapse.

Post #: 165
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 1/10/2009 10:55:23 PM   
Gram123

I've done a full link check of all links in Post Alpha.
The following have been removed, as they are no longer trading:

Benson's World (London)
Filmnight (Guernsey)
uWish (Leeds)
Sazuma (Austria)

Tesco Jersey (who, despite the name, were actually based in Switzerland) no longer have a seperate site, they're now amalgamated with Tesco Entertainment.

In other news:

DVDPlanet (USA) is now back online, after several months of weird semi- to non-accessibility.

Oh, and I hadn't realised it, but Oz sites fbo Entertainment and Family Box Office are one and the same thing. They even had the same links. Wake up Mr. Gram!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 166
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 2/10/2009 12:30:10 PM   
Gram123

UPDATE:

I've added a number of sites, all of which have been checked to confrim they ship internationally:

DVDexpress (Czech Republic)
Avides (Germany)
Bol.de (Germany)
Buecher.de (Germany)
Buch.de (Germany)
JPC (Germany)
Weltbild (Germany & Austria)
Empik (Poland)
Merlin Filmy (Poland)
fnac.pt (Portugal)
JukeBox (Switzerland)

HMV Canada (Canada)

Marbecks (New Zealand)

AsianDB (South Korea)

Bolero (Russia)
Ozon (Russia)
From Russia.com  / RusKniga.com (USA site selling Russian DVDs)

AnyTamil (International site selling Indian DVDs from USA, Malaysia & India)
Indian CD Store (USA site selling Indian DVDs )
Nehaflix (USA site selling Indian DVDs )

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 2/10/2009 12:31:05 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 167
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 3/10/2009 8:39:43 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I found them individually through the websites Buy It Here and Townsend Records so I've bought them and they should arrive by the end of this week .

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 5/10/2009 2:56:59 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 168
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 5/10/2009 1:29:09 AM   
Gram123

Ah, nice one.
Glad you got sorted.

Post #: 169
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 5/10/2009 3:08:24 PM   
paul.mccluskey

What happened to Empire's online store?

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 170
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 7/10/2009 12:04:36 PM   
Gram123

It closed ages ago. It was still going when I started this thread in 2007, but I vaguely recall removing the dead link...

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/11/2009 9:58:31 AM >

Post #: 171
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 19/10/2009 2:29:30 PM   
shatnerhamster

Looks like caimanzone have bitten the dust.  Non US-based region 1 suppliers are a vanishing breed, it seems.

I notice there are two apparently UK-based R1 sites on the main list - dvdconcept.com and store4dvd.com.  Has anyone ordered from these, and do you know whether or not they ship direct from the US so that you face the danger of customs charges (which now seems to be the case with all other region 1 suppliers - the few that were safe in that respect having disappeared one by one over the last few years).

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 172
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 19/10/2009 3:47:44 PM   
Gram123

I've never used either, primarily because they're usually quite pricey (to cover the customs charges, perhaps?), but also because being UK-based R1 sellers, they tend to get missed off the price comparison sites I use, so I end up forgetting about them.

However, I can tell you:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Store4DVD
Shipping is free [...]
Items destined for European addresses are shipped from within Europe.

(See shipping details: http://www.store4dvd.com/index.php?action=shipping)

And

quote:

ORIGINAL: DVD Concept
What is the delivery time and where are they posted from?

The average delivery time to the UK is approximately 8 to 10 working days after the post date. For other destination it is 10 to 14 working days.

We do not ship on weekends and national holidays.

Shipping time is calculated after the day an item is posted and not when it was ordered. Delays in the postal system can increase the delivery time so cannot be guaranteed.

Region 1 DVDs and region A Blu-Rays are posted from North America. Region 2 DVDs and region B Blu-Rays are posted from the UK.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/11/2009 9:58:15 AM >

(in reply to shatnerhamster)
Post #: 173
RE: Recommended online DVD shops - 19/10/2009 3:50:28 PM   
elab49

I may just have been lucky lately, but none of the stuff I've gotten from DVDpacific - including an Eclipse box set - has been hit by Customs. The k2dvd stuff never does, even though it comes in pretty big boxes. Perhaps they've cut staff?

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 174
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 21/10/2009 10:49:33 PM   
elab49

Re Moviemail - does anyone know if there is a reason why they'd be able to sell R2 - presumably legit - DVDs when Amazon don't have them listed? They have some Val Guest and a release of Losey's The Damned showing but I can't see anything which suggests they've been released or being released anywhere else.

quote:

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 175
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 22/10/2009 12:38:44 PM   
Gram123

Well, The Damned is a pre-order on MovieMail - it has a release date noted of 2nd November.

And according to the DVDSleuth blog, it was originally due for R2 release 21st Sept:
http://dvdsleuth.blogspot.com/2009/07/joseph-loseys-damned-coming-to-r2-dvd.html

It may be that it was proposed for release and has been put back, and MovieMail's pre-order date may therefore be wrong, especially as the date is near yet no other DVD stores are listing it.

As for the Val Guest films, 11 of those listed on MovieMail are also available elsewhere:

Bees in Paradise
Carry on Admiral
Confessions Of Box Set
Dance Little Lady
Dangerous Davies
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (2 releases)
Further Up the Creek
Hell is a City
It's a Wonderful World
Miss London Ltd
The Shillingbury Tales

There are 3 listed on MovieMail that are not listed anywhere else. Two of these also have this dubious 2nd November pre-order date:

The Camp on Blood Island
Yesterday's Enemy

Someone posted a message on CultMovieForums, saying the release date of The Camp on Blood Island had (at the time of the message), been put back to 19th Oct. So it seems MovieMail don't know the definite release dates of some DVDs, and just keep putting them dates back a fortnight at a time.

1 further Val Guest film is noted on MovieMail, but nowhere else. It isn't noted as a pre-order, either (availability noted as 3-4 days):

Sex a GoGo

Should you want that film, I'd email them to check if they really have it - they may well update the listing with a 2nd November pre-order date.....

So that almost explains everything. However, there is something odd about MovieMail. I have seen them listing items for sale that had Amazon Exclusive sleeves. They're not related to Amazon, and they don't sell 2nd hand items, so I don't really get that....

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/11/2009 9:57:49 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 176
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 23/10/2009 12:43:28 PM   
elab49

Cheers, Gram - the Damned and Camp on Blood Island were the 2 I was curious about - I'd checked quite a few others sites, and other regions but couldn't see releases suggested anywhere so it seemed quite odd. There are quite a few in the Sony Classic British range which I was beginning to wonder if tentative but unconfirmed releases but when you check Amazon they are only showing as used/new and no current release. And Knock on Any Door is actually 2010 not in this months releases.

Still - their price on the site for some of the Song is about 22 vs 10! And their Amazon rating is very high.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 177
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 3/11/2009 9:56:05 AM   
Gram123

Added Blockbuster to the list in post 1 (for their DVD/BD sales rather than rentals).
I don't know where their warehouse is, though - does anybody know?

Also, has anyones seen that cheapo ad on TV for a DVD shop. I think they're called Tiger something They're promoting themselves as selling The Wire series boxsets for 9.99 each. Oddly though, the images they use are the R4s (with the big MA 15+ rating labels).

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/11/2009 9:57:18 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 178
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/11/2009 2:00:32 PM   
Rumbaabaa

I've bought a couple of Region One DVDs before but never direct from America. I want to buy a few DVDs from the US Amazon site (total price: 20) - can anyone confirm what import charges/taxes will be imposed, if any?

Ta

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 179
RE: Recommended online DVD / BD shops - 12/11/2009 2:08:06 PM   
elab49

No confirmation, because you never know whether the parcel will be picked up or not - if it is quite big then it is more likely. But Mount Pleasant aren't that random I don't think!

Technically, anything over 18 may be picked up - by 18 that is the value of the good itself, not the good plus shipping.

Duty is calculated on that and, if under around 7 isn't charged - costs too much to collect. BUT VAT will be applied on the value plus postage. For a single normal DVD just over the limit that'll only be a couple of pounds at most BUT you also have to pay the Royal Mail extortion/clearance fee of 8 - and that's the bugger. So if buying from abroad always assume you'll have to pay when working out if it will be cheaper.

But I can't remember the last time I got hit for single or a couple of DVDs in a flatpack.

quote:

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD shops Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI