Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommended online DVD sites

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD sites Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 11/3/2009 1:32:46 PM   
Gram123

Ah, sorry, you were right. I'd just gone into one section. Now added to post 1.

For any potential users of the site, select any of the following for DVDs:

Turkish Store > Turkish Movies
International Store > Arabic Store > Arabic Movies
International Store > World Cinema

and as elab says, there's kids films under Turkish Store > Turkish Kids Store.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 121
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 11/3/2009 1:36:52 PM   
elab49

I hadn't realised there were any in the International Store! Excellent - I can try and track down some Iranian films now

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 122
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 1/4/2009 12:07:41 PM   
tftrman

Not sure if anyone can help with this or even if this is the right place to ask - I'm trying to get a Region 2 copy of Let The Right One In (or "Låt den rätte komma in" in it's native tongue) as I know it's available on Swedish Region 2 and I don't have a multi-region to play the region 1 version that's out (I'll be playing it through my PS3).

Now I thought I'd succeeded with Cdwow who had it when I searched for it using the Swedish title but since ordering it over 10 days ago and still having my order status as "pending dispatch" I've checked with Cdwow and they're saying they're having problems getting it from their supplier and aren't offering me any timeframes for getting it to me, which is annoying.

Is it worth waiting for Cdwow, or does anyone know of a site where I'm guaranteed to pick it up? Thanks for any help.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 123
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 1/4/2009 3:48:02 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Not sure if anyone can help with this or even if this is the right place to ask - I'm trying to get a Region 2 copy of Let The Right One In (or "Låt den rätte komma in" in it's native tongue) as I know it's available on Swedish Region 2 and I don't have a multi-region to play the region 1 version that's out (I'll be playing it through my PS3).

Now I thought I'd succeeded with Cdwow who had it when I searched for it using the Swedish title but since ordering it over 10 days ago and still having my order status as "pending dispatch" I've checked with Cdwow and they're saying they're having problems getting it from their supplier and aren't offering me any timeframes for getting it to me, which is annoying.

Is it worth waiting for Cdwow, or does anyone know of a site where I'm guaranteed to pick it up? Thanks for any help.

Looks like CDWow are not listing it anymore. Personally, I wouldn't wait for CDWow, as they may never be able to get it - but then perhaps I'm basing that on their previous incarnation under different management, and the long periods of waiting for DVDs I endured on occasion.

It's a film I'm quite interested in, but I'm happy to wait for the UK release.
If you can't wait, they have it in stock at Swedish DVD site DVD.SE, with English subs, on DVD for 169 SEK (Swedish Kronor) = about £14.30
And on BD for 249 SEK = about £21.10

DVD:
http://www.dvd.se/index.php?m=100&SCREEN=item&item=176875&department=49

BD:
http://www.dvd.se/index.php?m=100&SCREEN=item&item=176876&department=

Click the "Köp" (Buy) button .
Go to your "VARUKORG" (Cart) at the top left in the yellow box and click "Till kassan" (Checkout).
On the next page select the bold text "Registrera ny kund" (Register new customer).
Fill in your details and then buy the item.

Keep an open Google Translate page for anything you don't understand:
http://translate.google.com/translate_t# 

HTH!

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 124
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 1/4/2009 4:02:03 PM   
tftrman

Thanks Gram, much appreciated. Will tell Cdwow to cancel my order later if I don't get a satisfactory response from them.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 125
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 6/4/2009 9:52:47 AM   
tftrman

I cancelled my Cdwow order and ordered a region free verson of LTROI on Friday from Movietyme and paid an extra £1 for the guaranteed 3 day delivery. It actually arrived the next day! Very, very impressed with that kind of service. Although I didn't have time to watch it over the weekend after all that!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 126
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 6/4/2009 10:28:27 AM   
elab49

You mean the Blu Ray?

Doesn't that mean you've bought the US release with the questionable subtitles that the next edition is going to change back to the theatrical?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 127
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 6/4/2009 10:55:21 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You mean the Blu Ray?

Doesn't that mean you've bought the US release with the questionable subtitles that the next edition is going to change back to the theatrical?

Oh really? B*llocks.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 128
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 6/4/2009 11:10:08 AM   
elab49

It is mentioned on the review thread, although I'd understand if you don't want to go in there. There is a site called something like iconsofhorror that goes through it screen grab be screen grab. The company apparently said everyone was being silly and there was nothing wrong - and then said it would be changed! The implication was the original translator cost more - presumably because she didn't just do a literal translation but kept the spirit of the original dialogue and the hack who redid it used something like Babelfish

If it is that subtitle, it would be interesting, if you see the other, to hear how it does compare.

quote:

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 129
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 6/4/2009 11:19:02 AM   
tftrman

Yeah, just read up on it a bit. Disappointed that I've now got a dumbed down version as I'd have thought in this day and age foreign films are treated with a bit more reverence. I'll be watching it tonight though and then I can decide for myself.

I adored Akira the first time I saw it, even with the appalling dub-track and also saw a Russian version of Night Watch with very literal subs so I'm still hopeful of enjoying it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 130
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 24/4/2009 3:33:26 PM   
Gram123

Added Seoul Selection, based in S. Korea, ship internationally, site in English...

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 131
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 27/4/2009 7:23:38 PM   
Winchester Bunny

HMV have got a blu ray sale from 6.99 

HMV Blu Ray Sale

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 132
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 12:24:04 PM   
elab49

Received my shipment from Seoul Selection in 4 days. Yes - that was 4 DAYS.

CN22 filled out as gift and $20 (less than cost). And they included note cards!

A++ recommendation from me.

quote:

(in reply to Winchester Bunny)
Post #: 133
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 3:36:03 PM   
Gram123

Cool!
Not bad for a stumbled-upon store, then, eh?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 134
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 4:05:27 PM   
elab49

Thank you

It means I'm only one down on the trail of completism but I've never seen the homeless one anywhere.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 135
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 4:36:12 PM   
Gram123

Are you talking about Song Kang-ho films?
If so, what's "the homeless one"?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 136
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 7:49:47 PM   
elab49

The one that might be called Bad Movie in English. (Song Gang-Ho, yes - I've been running through the films of a few actors lately).

On another note - not really sure of the right thread - but has someone hacked Selectcheaper's Ebay account - they've got the likes of Family Man and All of Me - all readily available normal DVS - for £50 and upwards!

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 137
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 9:15:42 PM   
Gram123

Here ya go.

Korean release from DVDAsian - $14.95 + del. In Korean with English subs:
http://www.dvdasian.com/_e/Korea/product/19374/Bad_Movie_aka_Timeless_Bottomless_.htm

US version from YesAsia - $16.49.
http://www.yesasia.com/global/timeless-bottomless-us-version/1003999583-0-0-0-en/info.html

HK version from Five Star Laser - $10.95
http://www.fivestarlaser.com/movies/11953.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 138
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 9:57:21 PM   
elab49

What would we do without you, Gram?

Yesasia it is - surprisingly cheap for them, and the other 2 don't take Paypal which I tend to use at the moment.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 139
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 28/4/2009 10:44:30 PM   
Gram123

Glad to be of service!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 140
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 7/5/2009 10:58:47 PM   
richCie

uh...zavvi.co.uk are they still actually around? cos i'd quite like t buy this: http://www.zavvi.co.uk/zavvi/81713.product it's a good deal cheaper than elsewhere, but like what happened to the whole 'out of business' thing i dont want to go ahead and pay for it if theres no company to actually send me the dvd... the homepage has new releases and stuff on it though, very confused... any help?

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 141
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 8/5/2009 1:59:05 AM   
Gram123

Yeah, you're fine, rich.
After a period of not selling anything from the website, Zavvi online was bought out by The Hut Group. I think all the Zavvi high street stores (or at least most) are now gone.

The Hut and Zavvi are therefore now one and the same, 'cept with different prices, and Zavvi kept the same website design they used to have.

I've noticed that when one has a special offer, so does the other, although the offers do differ.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 8/5/2009 2:00:06 AM >

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 142
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 8/5/2009 12:55:30 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Yeah, you're fine, rich.
After a period of not selling anything from the website, Zavvi online was bought out by The Hut Group. I think all the Zavvi high street stores (or at least most) are now gone.

The Hut and Zavvi are therefore now one and the same, 'cept with different prices, and Zavvi kept the same website design they used to have.

I've noticed that when one has a special offer, so does the other, although the offers do differ.

sweet, might check see if they have any other great deals like that one

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 143
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 8/6/2009 3:47:20 AM   
Pigeon Army

Looking to buy this - http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=34906 - for an essay, and eThaiCD seem to be the only ones who have it. Can I be sure of the security of their shit, as it were?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 144
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 8/6/2009 8:49:33 AM   
elab49

I've used them a few times without a hitch and I'm sure a couple of others who post in World Cinema have done the same.

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 145
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 8/6/2009 8:57:51 PM   
Gram123

eThaiCD is great for getting hold of East Asian films that are no longer available from their native countries.

However, a word of caution - the site is not secure when you're entering your email and billing / delivery address details. No "s" after the "http" and no little lock symbol at the bottom of the browser window.
The only secure part of the site is the credit card server.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 146
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 16/6/2009 7:45:16 PM   
Gram123

US site Enterprises DVD is now dead and gone.
I think we can consider DVDs Limited dead too.

Both have now been deleted from post alpha in this thread.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 147
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 29/6/2009 12:38:06 PM   
Gram123

Added the new online Woolworths site. I haven't put the link straight into Recommended territory, as it is a different company to the Woolies of old.

The new site is part of Shop Direct's group, which also owns Additions Direct, Choice, Empire Stores, Great Universal, Kays, Littlewoods and Marshall Ward.

As a side note, Additions Direct annoyed me greatly once, because they added my details to their marketting crap (and possibly past them on to other companies) without my say so. There were no ticky boxes to say "no ta", they just auto-added me. I didn't even buy anything.
It took them just seconds to add my details to their lists, but 5 weeks to remove them (why?!). And months later I still get Littewoods junk through the post. The moral of the tale is, if you do use the new Woolworths site, keep a sharp eye out for the marketting checkboxes...

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 148
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 29/6/2009 12:58:07 PM   
elab49

I thought there were rules now? Maybe a quick mail to the ASA or the privacy commissioner to check?

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 149
RE: Recommended online DVD sites - 29/6/2009 2:39:50 PM   
Gram123

Actually, thinking back now, there were checkboxes, but you could only see / change them after you'd signed up.
So they opted you in by default, and then you had to change your preferences and opt out, which they confirmed by email would take 5 weeks. Dirty tactics.
It was a while ago now, though, and things may have changed.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Recommended online DVD sites Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI