Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Battle of Britain

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Battle of Britain Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Battle of Britain - 14/6/2011 11:20:21 PM   
Timon

I actually wrote an article for Den of Geek called "Where the hell is Red Tails?"

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/786103/where_is_george_lucas_red_tails.html

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 151
RE: The Battle of Britain - 15/6/2011 3:56:04 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I have to say I only heard of "Red Tails" after I had browsed for some films. All I knew was that it would be produced by George Lucas and I assumed it would be a fictional fighter squadron in WW2. As it's focused on the famous Tuskegee airmen, my excitement levels have gone up. I actually saw the eponymously named film with Laurence Fishburne a few years ago and I thought it was a great film. What's amazing is it's a true story and I think it's a hugely important one to tell. These guys were no different to other servicemen in that they were courageous and risked no less than their lives. However, they had the added challenge of fighting prejudice on their own side as well the not being killed by the enemy. I think their bravery and nobleness in fighting for a country that didn't care about them; will make for a rivetting film and I think an incredibly moving one. It's frankly disgusting and shameful that German P.O.Ws were treated better in America than African-Americans were treated.

On a different note, there's an interesting cast here. I actually liked Ne-Yo in "Battle: Los Angeles". Cuba Gooding Jr was in "The Tuskegee Airmen" and so it'll be interesting for him to re-visit this period and story, given that he'll have personal investment in the story, I expect a good performance from him. David Oyelowo is a British actor. I thought he was very good in Kenneth Brannagh's adaptation of Shakespeare's  "As You Like It".

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 152
RE: The Battle of Britain - 19/6/2011 9:42:19 AM   
DazDaMan

I forgot to mention on this thread that First Light is now available on DVD.

It's not half bad, really, despite obviously a low budget and a reliance on Battle of Britain out-takes for its flying sequences.

http://youtu.be/-CdXMrn_0YY

Also, Ewan McGregor and his brother, Colin, did a documentary on the Battle of Britain last year, and it was well worth a watch. It's also available on DVD from September.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 153
RE: The Battle of Britain - 19/6/2011 12:08:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Flyboys! Incredible action scenes

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 154
RE: The Battle of Britain - 3/8/2011 1:28:05 PM   
DazDaMan

Flyboys could have been great; it could have been The Blue Max for the 21st century, but sadly the story just fell flat.  There was scope for telling the real stories, which were much more impressive than, say, engaging a giant Zeppelin over France (which would never have happened anyway, at least in daylight).  The only bits they really got right with the story was that there was a real Lafayette Escadrille, and they had a lion for a pet (in fact they had 2 - Whiskey and Soda).

Fighter-plane movies can be as dramatic and as exciting as you like, without having to resort to making shit up. 

While we're on the subject of The Great War, Peter Jackson has a the most impressive collection of First World War aircraft, both real, reproduction and replica.  He did a short film (whose name I have completely forgotten) using some of the items he's collected over the years, and it was AMAZING - real Fokker Triplanes (OK, replicas for the pedantic), SE5as, Bristol F2.B etc, etc.  Why has he never gotten around to making a big First World War flick?  Why do we keep getting fucking hobbit movies?!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 155
RE: The Battle of Britain - 3/8/2011 2:33:55 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Flyboys could have been great; it could have been The Blue Max for the 21st century, but sadly the story just fell flat.  There was scope for telling the real stories, which were much more impressive than, say, engaging a giant Zeppelin over France (which would never have happened anyway, at least in daylight).  The only bits they really got right with the story was that there was a real Lafayette Escadrille, and they had a lion for a pet (in fact they had 2 - Whiskey and Soda).

Tru dat!

Flyboys promised so much but delivered so little in the end it was almost embarrassing.  Shame really, because as Daz says there were plenty of movie-worthy tales of the squadon that were much more deserving of screen-time

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 156
RE: The Battle of Britain - 3/8/2011 3:44:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i really like Flyboys for the action scenes, the rest of it is very cheesy

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 157
RE: The Battle of Britain - 2/9/2011 1:33:38 PM   
DazDaMan

Not even the cockpit sequences were all that impressive in Flyboys.  James Franco looked like he was on a soundstage in America!! 

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 158
RE: The Battle of Britain - 28/1/2012 1:59:03 PM   
DazDaMan

A nice little film I picked up on DVD is Dangerous Moonlight.

Starring Anton Walbrook, it tells the story of a Polish composer who meets an American war correspondent, escapes Poland and makes a name for himself performing his music in America before returning to the UK to fly with the RAF.

It's actually a very decent little film, with good performances all round. Walbrook actually performs most of the music himself, as he was an accomplished amateur pianist in real life. The film's few flying sequences consist mainly of stock footage, but there's some specially-shot footage of Spitfires in there. Including, curiously, a Spitfire wearing Polish markings near the beginning of the film, where Walbrook's character escapes to Romania:

Overall, one of the better wartime war films.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 159
RE: The Battle of Britain - 13/6/2012 10:18:29 PM   
DazDaMan

So, who's gotten around to seeing RED TAILS yet??

I went to see it on Sunday and, if I'm honest, I didn't think it was all that bad!!

Sure, the dialogue is a bit corny, and the story is as cliched as fuck, but the aerial scenes are pretty decent, with some genuinely thrilling dogfights and a fantastic airfield-strafing sequence.

If you go in expecting a film based on historic fact, you'll be disappointed. But, if you go in wanting a film "inspired by" the exploits of the 332nd Fighter Group, then you're in for a good couple of hours. It's certainly no worse than some of the aviation movies that we've been offered in the past decade, and is certainly better than a few of those!!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 160
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Battle of Britain Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI