Brotherhood

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Brotherhood Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brotherhood - 5/3/2007 1:16:47 AM   
Rgirvan44

Has anybody else been watching this great drama from Showtime? Its focus is on the mob in Boston, treading some of the same territory as The Departed. Jason Isaacs always does bad guys well, but his Michael Caffee is much more than a sneering psyhcopath. Returning home after seven years, he starts to rebuild his life life as a gangster, unable to accept his home town has changed drastically.

While he gets most of the attention, Jason Clarke is just as excellent as Tommy Caffee, his brother who is rising up the ranks of local politics. While Michael shows his anger through sudden acts of brutality, Tommy is much more cold but no less dangerous. The fine line between right and wrong shifts between these two brothers and the characters who lie in their wake.

Supporting cast is brilliant, Fionnula Flanagan who plays their mother Rose is every bit a piece of work as Livia in The Sopranos. Watch as she knowingly gives a mourning mother at a funeral an envalope full of counterfiet money she knows is no good. Horrible woman.

I find the show to be just as complelling as The Sopranos and it's a shame I haven't seen much written about it. If you get a chance to watch it I highly recommend it, by the last episode you will be hooked. Season 2 comes out in the summer I think.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 1
RE: Brotherhood - 6/3/2007 8:25:13 PM   
VincentHanna

I think it's fantastic. A real hidden gem that I discovered last year, I was intrigued mainly by the idea of Jason Isaacs as one of the main protagonists.

The more I watched, the more I became hooked. Looking forward to season 2 later on this year, given the ending to the first season, it will be really interesting to see what kind of direction the show goes in.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2
RE: Brotherhood - 11/3/2007 7:29:40 PM   
Darth Goonie

Agree, its a cracking series with some excellent performances. One question: Does anyone know whether it is broadcast in widescreen in the U.S.? FX show it in 4:3 format but I'm sure that they've zoomed in on the 16:9 image, theres a lot of shots that look like theres quite a bit of screen missing. For example, in one episode there was a long shot of Michael and Tommy facing each other across the room, the only problem was that they both may as well been out of shot as they were cut off by the edge of the screen.

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 3
RE: Brotherhood - 13/3/2007 7:55:21 PM   
sharkboy

IMO Showtime really excelled last year, both The Brotherhood and Dexter were unmissable TV.  Isaacs played a blinder in The Brotherhood - you really felt the underlying air of menace about him.  And that menace never took long to surface -the scene where, after witnessing a local hood rip an earring from a girl, he returned it to her attached to the ear of her attacker summed him up in a nutshell.

Great cast, great storyline and some solid writing made this one of my favourite shows of last year.  Here's to this year's return to the Hill

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Darth Goonie)
Post #: 4
RE: Brotherhood - 28/7/2007 12:00:16 AM   
brightlight

Thought I'd give this a bump as the first couple of episodes from the new season have been aired in the US. I've only just started watching the first and can whole-heartedly endorse it to anyone. Isaacs is a machine, his Michael reminds me of the performance he put in for that Channel 4 one off Scars - a truly terrifying piece of work. I think he is fast becoming the best British actor of his generation and should get a bit more kudos, he was certainly the only reason to watch that State Within gubbins (which illustratd his versatility to a great degree).

Watch this show, it's spectacular.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Brotherhood - 29/7/2007 8:51:30 PM   
Bruce Wayne

got to agree with everybody above, a brilliant show with a phenomonal performance from Jason Isaacs. Does anyone know if its coming to dvd?

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to brightlight)
Post #: 6
RE: Brotherhood - 30/7/2007 12:51:04 PM   
brightlight

Rattled through the first season and the two new episodes over the weekend, really glad those were available or I would have gone nuts waiting to see what happened after the wedding!

Great end to the first season, never saw that one coming in a million years. The lack of one of my favorite characters (so far) in the second is a bit of a shame, though.

< Message edited by brightlight -- 30/7/2007 12:53:19 PM >

(in reply to Bruce Wayne)
Post #: 7
RE: Brotherhood - 30/7/2007 3:44:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

Second season has started?!!!!!!!!

Why does nobody tell me anything?!!!!!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 8
RE: Brotherhood - 30/7/2007 3:48:11 PM   
brightlight

Don't know if it has actually been aired, the two episodes I got were labelled "pre-air". Get watching

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 9
RE: Brotherhood - 30/9/2007 12:29:10 PM   
Zaphod121

Just in case anybody wants to know FX are showing Season 1 again starting from tonight at 10.00

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 10
RE: Brotherhood - 14/11/2007 10:45:10 AM   
smithee

Don't know if anyone is watching this (the lack of activity in the thread would seem to suggest not), but if you are I just wanted to know if anyone else was disturbed by seeing Donna off The West Wing's boobies whilst she performs various sex acts and sprouts filth from her oddly pursed mouth. Shocking.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 11
RE: Brotherhood - 14/11/2007 12:21:19 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: smithee

Don't know if anyone is watching this (the lack of activity in the thread would seem to suggest not), but if you are I just wanted to know if anyone else was disturbed by seeing Donna off The West Wing's boobies whilst she performs various sex acts and sprouts filth from her oddly pursed mouth. Shocking.

I mentioned this in the West Wing thread - it was rather...odd. I feel sorry for Moloney - she will always be Donna to people.

And this show keeps getting better and better.

(in reply to smithee)
Post #: 12
RE: Brotherhood - 15/11/2007 1:56:29 AM   
smithee

I notice that got a similarly raptuous response.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 13
RE: Brotherhood - 22/1/2008 10:48:59 AM   
Rgirvan44

Its been picked up for a third season!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35351

(in reply to smithee)
Post #: 14
RE: Brotherhood - 12/2/2008 11:08:12 AM   
benmharper

Has anyone been watching the second season of this. Bloody fantastic show. Jason Isaac is good as the gangster brother. It reminds me of The Wire (although not as good) with its slow burning and interweaving plotlines.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: Brotherhood - 5/3/2008 10:10:11 PM   
screen name pending

Does anybody know where I can catch up on this, from the start of season 1, on download? i-tunes USA have it but not UK and 4OD only has eps. 5-8 of season 2, i came into it a bit late and before i go any further would like to go back to the start.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs now!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 16
RE: Brotherhood - 21/12/2008 11:23:23 AM   
opark_77

The OP states:
quote:

Its focus is on the mob in Boston

Actually the series is set in Providence, RI (which isn't far from Boston). There isn't much of a mafia presence in Boston itself and the Irish mob are more prominent there as in The Departed. The two mafiosos that DiCaprio's character (Billy Costigan) beats up in the first act of The Departed are from RI as I recall. I think its important that the shows not set in Boston as the second rate nature of Michael's criminal organization to Nozzoli's mafia family informs the plot in later seasons.

Also the show is filmed on location in Providence. The Departed and Brotherhood share a few cast members because of the on-location filming.

Anyone keeping up with the third season? I'm really enjoying it but I'm sad to learn that it will probably be the last.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17
RE: Brotherhood - 21/12/2008 11:37:10 AM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: opark_77

The OP states:
quote:

Its focus is on the mob in Boston

Actually the series is set in Providence, RI (which isn't far from Boston). There isn't much of a mafia presence in Boston itself and the Irish mob are more prominent there as in The Departed. The two mafiosos that DiCaprio's character (Billy Costigan) beats up in the first act of The Departed are from RI as I recall. I think its important that the shows not set in Boston as the second rate nature of Michael's criminal organization to Nozzoli's mafia family informs the plot in later seasons.

Also the show is filmed on location in Providence. The Departed and Brotherhood share a few cast members because of the on-location filming.

Anyone keeping up with the third season? I'm really enjoying it but I'm sad to learn that it will probably be the last.

It's not showing over here yet, gonna be keeping an eye out for it though. Love this show

(in reply to opark_77)
Post #: 18
RE: Brotherhood - 22/12/2008 11:03:31 PM   
BlueBalls

Does anyone know when the DVD's are coming out in the UK, I had heard they wer coming out this year but as of now, nothing.........

Anyone know?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 19
RE: Brotherhood - 6/1/2009 9:21:58 AM   
CORLEONE

When is the 3rd season coming to FX?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 20
RE: Brotherhood - 6/1/2009 9:40:29 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Are you on Gaffa home brew!?

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 21
RE: Brotherhood - 6/1/2010 10:03:53 AM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

When is the 3rd season coming to FX?

Is s3 ever gonna be shown in the uk? It's availible on R1 dvd so that may be the best chance of seeing it.
I also read somewhere that the show has been cancelled, so no s4

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 22
RE: Brotherhood - 9/1/2012 4:45:59 PM   
Lang

Just got the complete series boxset delivered this morning...i'm looking forward to surging through this

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Brotherhood Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI