Steve Martin

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Steve Martin Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steve Martin - 27/2/2007 11:59:25 PM   
DCMaximo

Just thought I'd start this thread to see if I could gauge people's opinions on one of my personal favourite actors, Steve Martin. I find that, if I drop into general conversation that I'm a big fan, people generally have a negative reaction, based mainly on his last ten years of dreadful choices (I've resisted investing in the Cheaper By The Dozens, though I have just bought The Pink Panther and Shopgirl). However, to judge the man purely on those is to overlook one of the funniest films stars of the late seventies-eighties, who is still capable of moments of genius. He was outstanding in the Jerk, bringing warmth and affection to what could have been a two-dimensional idiot. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid transcends what could have been a one-gag premise into being a very well-written, well-performed film-noir spoof (and the film that sparked my interest in films like White Heat and Double Indemnity), Planes, Trains And Automobiles is a vintage mid-eighties, Bank Holiday film with plenty of classic scenes. He stole the show in the Little Shop Of Horrors and I've not even mentioned classics like The Man With Two Brain, Roxanne or the Three Amigos.

What really helped reaffirm my Steve love though, was re-watching Bowfinger recently. Released in the late nineties when his films were getting less and less love from the critics, Bowfinger (written by Steve, which gives me hope for Shopgirl) was absolutely hilarious, teaming Steve with Eddie Murphy (another former comic idol stuck doing tosh like Metro) with great results. The premise of a failed Hollywood director making a film with Hollywood's biggest star (who doesn't know he's in it) worked far better than it could have because of the fact that the audience starts to feel an affinity with the underdogs and it's so well directed by Frank Oz (witness his work on the highway scene) that it feels like classic Martin again.

So I've pretty much gushed forth with my opinions on Steve Martin and my hope that people wont just remember him as "the grey haired guy from Father Of The Bride". Any other opinions?

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"
Post #: 1
RE: Steve Martin - 28/2/2007 2:19:30 AM   
LiBe

The Jerk was just too damn hilarious. Especially when he hitched a ride outside his house

I still think he's a strong actor and just because he's gotten older and wants to do more kiddy orientated things doesn't make him a bad actor........just we're all getting older now and we're not laughing at the kids movies simply because we're not kids anymore :(

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 2
RE: Steve Martin - 28/2/2007 11:33:11 AM   
HitchHiker

I love Steve Martin.I grew up watching The three Amigos and Planes, Trains & Automobiles. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of my all time favourites.
Shame he's made some awful choices over the past decade.

If God had wanted us to fly he would have built the airports closer to the cities.

(in reply to LiBe)
Post #: 3
RE: Steve Martin - 28/2/2007 1:10:28 PM   
The Drift

He was a comic genius and then he made LA Story which wasnt that great. He then made the decision to chase the money to fund his Modern Art collection, as a result his own art suffered badly. He has been coasting for years.

(in reply to HitchHiker)
Post #: 4
RE: Steve Martin - 1/3/2007 6:58:18 PM   
claytonmeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCMaximo

Just thought I'd start this thread to see if I could gauge people's opinions on one of my personal favourite actors, Steve Martin. I find that, if I drop into general conversation that I'm a big fan, people generally have a negative reaction, based mainly on his last ten years of dreadful choices (I've resisted investing in the Cheaper By The Dozens, though I have just bought The Pink Panther and Shopgirl). However, to judge the man purely on those is to overlook one of the funniest films stars of the late seventies-eighties, who is still capable of moments of genius. He was outstanding in the Jerk, bringing warmth and affection to what could have been a two-dimensional idiot. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid transcends what could have been a one-gag premise into being a very well-written, well-performed film-noir spoof (and the film that sparked my interest in films like White Heat and Double Indemnity), Planes, Trains And Automobiles is a vintage mid-eighties, Bank Holiday film with plenty of classic scenes. He stole the show in the Little Shop Of Horrors and I've not even mentioned classics like The Man With Two Brain, Roxanne or the Three Amigos.

What really helped reaffirm my Steve love though, was re-watching Bowfinger recently. Released in the late nineties when his films were getting less and less love from the critics, Bowfinger (written by Steve, which gives me hope for Shopgirl) was absolutely hilarious, teaming Steve with Eddie Murphy (another former comic idol stuck doing tosh like Metro) with great results. The premise of a failed Hollywood director making a film with Hollywood's biggest star (who doesn't know he's in it) worked far better than it could have because of the fact that the audience starts to feel an affinity with the underdogs and it's so well directed by Frank Oz (witness his work on the highway scene) that it feels like classic Martin again.

So I've pretty much gushed forth with my opinions on Steve Martin and my hope that people wont just remember him as "the grey haired guy from Father Of The Bride". Any other opinions?

I think he is excellent and loved the Jerk and the man with two brains best!! Which one is it where he smashes the window with his erection!!! thats classic and when he hitches that ride "to the end of the fence" is also great!! I think he is a great comedy actor!!

"My father died when he was making love to a 20 year old. He came and went at the same time!" Richard Pryor

"You mean I'm black does dad know!?"

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 5
RE: Steve Martin - 4/3/2007 1:46:52 AM   
TheSomnambulist

The man is a comic genius.

Granted he has made some poor choices recently and rather sadly has been part of remakes that should never have been, but in all reality his greats :

The Jerk
Man with Two Brains
Lonely Guy
All Of Me
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (I made it a personal mission to see all the film noir that was spoofed in that film)
Planes Trains and Automobiles
The Three Amigos
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Roxanne
Bowfinger

...more than make up for them.

I watched Shopgirl on a flight back from Australia last year and the effect of insomnia, jet lag, poor air and rehydrated food over twenty four hours really didn't lend itself to watching a film as self involved as Shopgirl was. I was somewhat indifferent to it in a way, but I can understand Martin's attempt at moving away from his comedy.

Anyway - this guy had me laughing through most of the 80's which is better than most.

He rules!

< Message edited by TheSomnambulist -- 4/3/2007 1:47:50 AM >

"Well.... Here I am...."

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 6
RE: Steve Martin - 4/3/2007 10:11:29 PM   
Pat Bateman

One of the most overrated actors i've ever laid eyes on, there's a reason why he hasn't made a decent movie in almost a decade, because he's shit. I saw him in a film with Goldie Hawn yesterday(can't remember the name) and I was literally embarrased watching his "performance"

Don't just look at it, eat it.

(in reply to TheSomnambulist)
Post #: 7
RE: Steve Martin - 4/3/2007 10:46:57 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pat Bateman

One of the most overrated actors i've ever laid eyes on, there's a reason why he hasn't made a decent movie in almost a decade, because he's shit. I saw him in a film with Goldie Hawn yesterday(can't remember the name) and I was literally embarrased watching his "performance"

disagree dude - the martin man has i agree for a long time been WAAAYYY of the mark.

But goin back a few years he was always on top form, from the comedic genius of TMW2B's to Roxanne (my own personal fave) all the way up to Bowfinger - i mean have you actually sat and watched it, Murphy is superb, but Stevie boy steals the show..................................... anyhooooo would love to see thee man gettin back to his roots so to speak, it has to happen soon me thinks he's startin to get on in years. He has a serious side a la Grand Canyon which is up there for me to

I can see it now

sittin in his LA pad thinking........what can i do to get my A list rating back?

I know, go back to my roots and actually what i was good at before Holly wood fucked it up!!! (admit it Steve you had a big hand in that!)

watch this space

Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana: That's what scares me.

(in reply to Pat Bateman)
Post #: 8
RE: Steve Martin - 5/3/2007 10:39:07 AM   
Beno

Wish he would stay away from the safe family freindly stuff. Bowfinger for me is a classic,
both he and Eddie Murphy at there best. Planes, Trains also class he must do this kind of stuff again ..... pleeeeezz Steve no more Cheaper by the dozens.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 9
RE: Steve Martin - 2/2/2009 6:35:03 PM   
Mason Verger

60 SECONDS: Steve Martin | Metro.co.uk

There's a Steve Martin interview in the latest Empire.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 10
RE: Steve Martin - 2/2/2009 6:45:16 PM   
Trained Filmsassin

His glory days are gone 

Okay, i'll get out, but then i'll come back in and kick your motherfuckin' ass.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 11
RE: Steve Martin - 2/2/2009 7:23:38 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

It's nice to see that there are more out there who appreciate Steve Martin as much as I do. He's been one of my favourite actor/comedian for many years and is always capable of making me laugh - both now and then. And many of his movies - such as Planes, Trains & Automobiles and All of Me can be considered to be favourites. However, I can agree with many people that it was a while since he did something really good. I would like to see him put on different roles than the caring family father he had played several times lately. Not that he does it bad, but it gets kinda boring after a while. Therefor was Shopgirl a fresh breeze from that kind of stuff. With that film he proved once again he's a excellent writer as well. More movies like that, or with the same spirit that made his classic ones classic!

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to Trained Filmsassin)
Post #: 12
RE: Steve Martin - 27/6/2009 11:42:50 AM   
superdan

I saw Baby Mamma a few nights ago (don't ask), and was surprised to find Steve Martin cameo-ing in it, and even more surprised that he was quite funny. This is the problem with him these days, you tend to think of him like Eddie Murphy - just churning out cack family films. However watching him in Baby Mamma inspired me to watch through the films of his that I and my housemates own (no, I don't have a life). Most of them I hadn't seen for years.

Doing this makes you realise that at his late 70's - early 90's peak he was absolutely brilliant. I watched The Jerk, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Three Amigos, Bowfinger, Roxanne, Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. All of them are absolutely cracking.

It makes his recent output all the more disappointing, as you know he's capable of so much better. It seems the Wild and Crazy Guy is long gone, but at least for every Cheaper By The Dozen there's a stone-cold comedy classic to even the balance up.

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 13
RE: Steve Martin - 28/6/2009 5:00:22 AM   
siegfried

Steve Martin is capable of excellence. Trouble is, he hasn't shown it for a very long time.
I can understand why people who haven't seen his earlier work, but only dreck like Cheaper By The Dozen and the abominable Pink Panther movies, would think he's crap.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Steve Martin Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI