Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Shameless

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Shameless Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shameless - 27/2/2007 11:34:11 PM   
Orpheus Myraj

Did anyone else think that the feature length finale was a bit shite?

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 20/8/2008 12:33:04 PM >

Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light.
Post #: 1
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 28/2/2007 5:47:00 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

Christ, that was its finale?? I mean, I know this series plummeted downhill withput Abbott writing, but jesus...It was awful, so so bad. The Take That bit was cringeworthy, not funny at all. I wondered why it was so long...

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to Orpheus Myraj)
Post #: 2
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 28/2/2007 5:49:03 PM   
Filmic Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

Christ, that was its finale?? I mean, I know this series plummeted downhill withput Abbott writing, but jesus...It was awful, so so bad. The Take That bit was cringeworthy, not funny at all. I wondered why it was so long...

I thought it was just ok, and a hell of a lot better than the rest of this season.  And it was written by Paul Abbott, which explains its betterness.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 3
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 11:11:50 AM   
emogeek

It was poor - overlong, badly written and all over the place.

Is that it now for Shameless?  Much as I love the show, they need to stop now, before it dissapears into the "ran way past its prime" file.

< Message edited by emogeek -- 1/3/2007 11:12:13 AM >

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 4
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 12:00:09 PM   
BobaJango

It really had gone downhill anyway. A lot of the great characters have been replaced with ones that i didn't really like, e.g. the new neighbours who aren't funny, they're just aggressive!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 5
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 12:24:19 PM   
Newander

I'm a huge Shameless fan, but it had gone down hill this season. Most of the great characters have gone, and the good characters left don't have very strong storylines, as they have been given to the newbie neighbours, who just arn't very likeable. The Take That bit, althought I love Take That, just wasn't funny IMO.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 6
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 12:39:03 PM   
emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

It really had gone downhill anyway. A lot of the great characters have been replaced with ones that i didn't really like, e.g. the new neighbours who aren't funny, they're just aggressive!

I quite often see Mimi Maguire in Liverpool at lunchtimes.

She looks every bit as intimidating as her on screen persona!

Why can I never see any of the decent looking ones?

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 7
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 1:00:54 PM   
vernieboy

Loved the first two series and felt the third was somewhat of a letdown. However the current series seemed to become a parody of itself with the finale being pretty poor to be honest. Aaron McCusker who played Jamie Maguire was on Soccer AM a few weeks back and apparantly the next season is going to be 16 to 20 episodes long. I don't know about anybody else but i reckon this will probabaly dilute the writing even further than it already is.
It needs to focus on the Gallaghers more as this season seemed to focus mainly on the Maguires

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 8
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 3:12:07 PM   
emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: vernieboy

Loved the first two series and felt the third was somewhat of a letdown. However the current series seemed to become a parody of itself with the finale being pretty poor to be honest. Aaron McCusker who played Jamie Maguire was on Soccer AM a few weeks back and apparantly the next season is going to be 16 to 20 episodes long. I don't know about anybody else but i reckon this will probabaly dilute the writing even further than it already is.
It needs to focus on the Gallaghers more as this season seemed to focus mainly on the Maguires

They should just leave it be - no need for a further series, and definitely not of that length.

On the subject of the last series, what happened to Sue and Marty - they were the focus of the first episode, and were never seen again.

Did I miss something?

(in reply to vernieboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 6:59:54 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

I quite often see Mimi Maguire in Liverpool at lunchtimes.

She looks every bit as intimidating as her on screen persona!

Why can I never see any of the decent looking ones?

I saw Lip in Venus in Manchester a couple weeks back. He was gurning his tits off and so hammered he could barely stand.
Looks like Mimi's not the only one who is her on-screen persona...

In terms of the show, it's way past its prime and should definately not be dragged out anymore. Time to put it out of its misery.

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 10
RE: Shameless finale: bollocks - 1/3/2007 7:05:36 PM   
Caster

Like the entire show then.

Post #: 11
Shameless S4 - 3/1/2008 12:39:24 PM   
oddzag

Did anyone see the first episode? or the second one on e4?

its definately an improvement but still lacking something. The whole Frank thinks he wont live to the weekend thing was hilarious.

< Message edited by oddzag -- 3/1/2008 12:40:56 PM >

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 12
RE: Shameless S4 - 3/1/2008 2:59:02 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: oddzag

Did anyone see the first episode? or the second one on e4?

its definately an improvement but still lacking something. The whole Frank thinks he wont live to the weekend thing was hilarious.

I thought the first one was piss-weak and I smirked twice through the whole thing. Bringing the Maguires into such a prominent position was a grand fuck up. Shameless has always been likeable because it was about a working class family pulling together. It was both fiendishly funny while being warm and sometimes quite emotional (I burst into tears when Steve fucked off and left Fiona crying). Now it's just a bunch of dirty, pikey tramps giving people evil stares with some of the most desperate storylines imagineable. The Maguires were awesome in small doses, they're just plain unlikeable in the centre stage and a terrible replacement for Kev & Veronica.

Fucking shame - I got to interview quite a lot of the cast when they opened this new purpose built set a good few months back and they were all very likeable actors (Ian was superb) and I really wanted to like this new series. But it's time to call it a day - something that's not likely to happen after they spent quarter of a million on this new set...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 13
RE: Shameless S4 - 3/1/2008 7:56:16 PM   
losthighway

Agreed... the first episode of Season 5 was piss-poor, however I thought the second episode was a vast improvement and despite all the criticisms, I thought Season 4 was actually quite good too. I like that they brought in new characters because stickling with the Gallaghers would really have driven the show into the ground. Admittedly 16 episodes in S5 does seem a bit extreme but I'll judge when I've actually seen them and not before!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 14
RE: Shameless S4 - 4/1/2008 12:40:40 AM   
BobaJango

I thought the first ep of series 5 was actually pretty good but i very much agree on the points made about the Maguires. They simply aren't funny or likeable enough to carry the bulk of an episode.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 15
RE: Shameless S5 - 4/1/2008 10:46:46 AM   
oddzag

I'll agree with what people have been saying about the Maguires. The storylines used to be affecting, with some actual meaning to them. Some of that is still there with Mandy and Lip but Mandy should be the only Maguire with a central role. Mimi and Paddy should be relegated to background cast, and they're sons are so forgettable i forgot their names. Although i do like the son who runs the Jockey. But i agree that Paddy and Mimi cannot carry an whole episode themselves.

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 16
RE: Shameless S5 - 20/8/2008 11:45:57 AM   
Goodfella

I'm about halfway through season five at the moment and I'm starting to develop a rather strong crush on Mandy Maguire. When the Maguires were first introduced to the show, I found a very annoying and rather ugly little Irish bint. Now I have to say I'd give her one!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 17
RE: Shameless - 21/8/2008 12:33:44 PM   
spark1

my fave ep in last season was frank's 'brief encounter' on the bus-kinda ferlt sorry for him

Post #: 18
RE: Shameless - 11/2/2009 4:45:41 PM   
Goodfella

The third episode was a bit poor, the preview from episode two made it look really good but Frank's monologues are far funnier and enjoyable when shorter and some of the crazy characters, like Frank's fellow admirer/juror, just seem thrown in to stodge up the story.

Any chance of a return for Fiona, Steve, V or Kev this season?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 19
RE: Shameless - 20/2/2009 5:01:45 PM   
Goodfella

Fourth episode faired a bit better and I think the Maguires becoming the main figures of the show have improved the last few series'.

Does anyone know if this is going to be the final series' though?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 20
RE: Shameless - 2/3/2009 6:22:12 PM   
Goodfella

Episode 5 was rather weird. What was the escaped convict in the bin all about and why did Liam give him a grand for what looked like a bag of Quality Street toffees? It felt like we were watching the whole thing from Frank's eyes whilst he was on one of his trips!

Apparently Ian is back for episode 7 onwards.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 21
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 4/3/2009 9:36:21 AM   
losthighway

***SPOILERS*** (E4 Speed)

Watched it on E4 last night and it was a very good episode. Great to see the return of Ian, along with a 15yr old deaf friend called Danny. Paddy is finally released and from the hints of next week's E4 episode, his release leads to a very interesting storyline regarding him being addicted to heroin, and a mother's revenge. And Monica left, which was a total surprise and not sure if she'll be back either because it looks like they are turning the show back around to how it used to be in the earlier seasons. Also, stick around for the final scene after the credits... Mickey is a very dirty boy!!!

Plus, Series 7 is in pre-production!!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 4/3/2009 9:45:37 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 22
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 4/3/2009 10:59:50 AM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

***SPOILERS*** (E4 Speed)

Watched it on E4 last night and it was a very good episode. Great to see the return of Ian, along with a 15yr old deaf friend called Danny. Paddy is finally released and from the hints of next week's E4 episode, his release leads to a very interesting storyline regarding him being addicted to heroin, and a mother's revenge. And Monica left, which was a total surprise and not sure if she'll be back either because it looks like they are turning the show back around to how it used to be in the earlier seasons. Also, stick around for the final scene after the credits... Mickey is a very dirty boy!!!

Plus, Series 7 is in pre-production!!

paddy's story arc made for the 1st 'shameless' cliffhanger.

Post #: 23
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 18/3/2009 11:13:53 PM   
Goodfella

The heroin addiction is very accurate and it's interesting to see Shamless take a very serious detour during its usual crude but highly lighthearted manner.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 24
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 27/3/2009 9:44:31 PM   
Goodfella

After Karen and Joe got it on this week does anybody want to attempt the Shamless Family Tree of Who's Shagged Who?

I bet it takes best part of the summer.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 25
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 2/4/2009 6:00:31 PM   
Goodfella

Well watched Episode 10 and 11 the other day and it seems this series seems to be carrying on at quite a pace. The hints are there that Jamie and Karen could get back together, although no doubtedly Joe will then pop up out of his little mini-coma and all will fly off the wall again!

Frank seems to be the only one getting better with age although the Paddy's heroin addiction story strand is interesting and distubing, and also brutually realistic which I can hold a claim to.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 26
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 8/4/2009 5:31:09 PM   
Goodfella

What was the deal with Danny? He comes with no real explanation and he goes with no real explanation apart from to create a likely murder storyline to drag Ian into.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 27
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 10/4/2009 1:52:26 PM   
losthighway

Having read various forum threads, from what I can gather, the episode on E4 last Tuesday night is not the last we've seen of Danny - he pops up again in the final episode of S6. If anything, I think this season has been exceptionally good and certainly this last quarter feels like they are setting things up for S7.

My only complaint is that there has still not been enough of Mickey! I do like Mickey!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 28
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 11/4/2009 6:58:27 PM   
Goodfella

Yeah but I can guess the storyline already, Danny pops up late on to save Ian being done for murder, the only thing about Shameless is how rather predicatable it is becoming.

I think they could do with getting rid of Debbie now as well, she's become incredibly annoying and why does she keep dressing like an absolute slag when she was the perfect little angel, if just a little messed up? I would love it if Fiona or Lip were to pop up in S7.

Post #: 29
RE: Shameless (E4 Speed) - 1/5/2009 9:35:05 PM   
Goodfella

God this series is going rapidly downhill isn't it?

The last few episodes have been trashy at best especially with the Kash two-faced return storyline really going all the way to show just how much the writers are running out of fresh and funny ideas. It was totally worthless and totally pointless, it was clearly just done to fill a 45-minute slot, for a start why an earth is the series as long as 16 episodes, why not just leave it at 10? Am I also to understand we have a rather raunchy scene involving a topless Debbie Gallagher next episode? No thanks! The actress herself is barely 18 and frankly she looks young enough as it is, it sickened me just when they were talking about her shagging Tom, I don't actually want to see it!!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Shameless Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI