Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Star Trek Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Star Trek Films Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/7/2010 7:58:23 PM   
JoeyPottr

I liked the one where they were back on Earth and Captain Kirk calls someone " A double dumbass" I forget which one it was, the one with the whales I think. Not really a big Star Trek fan but this one was cool.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 211
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/7/2010 7:59:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

I liked the one where they were back on Earth and Captain Kirk calls someone " A double dumbass" I forget which one it was, the one with the whales I think. Not really a big Star Trek fan but this one was cool.

That was Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home AKA The One With The Whales.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 212
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/7/2010 8:05:09 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

Star Trek 4 - The Voyage Home

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 213
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/7/2010 11:50:39 PM   
DazDaMan

I vaguely remember seeing the original films when I was younger, but have really not watched them in bloody AGES!! Channel 4 has been screening them all recently (Search for Spock last week), but I keep missing them....

However, I LOVED the JJ Abrams one. My mate recommended it to me, and I watched it twice in one day.

And I'm NOT a Trekkie at all!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 214
RE: The Star Trek Films - 10/7/2010 11:08:24 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I vaguely remember seeing the original films when I was younger, but have really not watched them in bloody AGES!! Channel 4 has been screening them all recently (Search for Spock last week), but I keep missing them....

However, I LOVED the JJ Abrams one. My mate recommended it to me, and I watched it twice in one day.

And I'm NOT a Trekkie at all!

You should buy Khan - Search for Spock - Voyage Home. They form a trilogy of films closely linked, and much of what you will have liked from the Abrams movie will have come from these films. Then check out film 6- The Undiscovered Country. These four films are some of the best Trek you will see, and it doesn't require you to have a deep knowledge of the franchise.

Honestly, Khan is one of the best written scripts for a blockbuster you will ever see.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 215
RE: The Star Trek Films - 10/7/2010 1:28:57 PM   
Darth Psyman

Great thread trek fans.

I also loved the new one as it kick started a whole new universe without having to step on the original. Ingenious!
Khan is the best of the originals followed by First Contact (Borg on the big screen, who doesn't enjoy that) and I loved the dramatic feel of the Undiscovered Country (great music, David Warner and Chris Plummer).

In order, then:-

Wrath of Khan
New One
First Contact
Undiscovered Country
Voyage Home
Search for Spock
Generations
Motion Picture
Insurrection
Nemesis
Final Frontier

Cheers!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 216
RE: The Star Trek Films - 10/7/2010 2:12:58 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It is a lot of fun. Both it, and Master and Commander, form part of my unoffical Trek movies collection.

Have you seen the movies Snake? At least Khan?

I'm not really a STAR TREK but I have seen a few of the movies. WRATH OF KHAN - Great Film.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 217
RE: The Star Trek Films - 10/7/2010 4:43:51 PM   
Tech_Noir

Wrath of Khan truly is an enormous achievement.

Think about it, it was made on a smaller budget than The Motion Picture and was essentially a sequel to a one off episode from the 60s series - despite that it still entertains and moves non-Trek fans.

Great script, great ideas, great performances, great score, great ending, great everything.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 218
RE: The Star Trek Films - 12/7/2010 3:11:57 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Wrath of Khan truly is an enormous achievement.

Think about it, it was made on a smaller budget than The Motion Picture and was essentially a sequel to a one off episode from the 60s series - despite that it still entertains and moves non-Trek fans.

Great script, great ideas, great performances, great score, great ending, great everything.

100% agree with you Tech.Its an all time movie classic.If anyone you know says Trek is just silly and for nerds,sit them down in front of this film.They will be Trek fans for life,and if not,they certainly will be of this film.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 219
RE: The Star Trek Films - 13/7/2010 1:33:03 AM   
Rgirvan44

Main problem with Generations - Kirk's fantasy is clealy not what Kirk's fantasy would be. Guy had three loves in his life, Carol Marcus, Edith Keeler and the USS Enterprise.

The guys dream would be to command a starship, not making breakfast, riding a horse and being with some woman no one has ever heard of. It was have been a nice inversion of the story if Picard were to walk onto the bridge of the Enterpirse and try to convince Kirk to come back. The way it is written, we are watching Shatner's nexus fantasy, not Kirk's.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 220
RE: The Star Trek Films - 4/8/2010 3:08:17 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've been recording all the Star Trek films C4 have been showing and it's been great fun catching up on these again.

Star Trek IV - as fun as I remember it, one of the best movies in the franchise

Star Trek V - sadly as lame as I remembered it, it had a great central character in Sybok and the mission through the Great Barrier builds up a lot of expectation but it's let down by everything else. The 'God' alien was rubbish, the shoehorned in pointlessness of the Klingons and one of the worst aspects was the SFX. It's easily the worst in the series, I think it's some half arsed early CGI which sucks the life out of everything and looks terrible.

Star Trek VI - a triumphant return to form, maybe the plans to break up Starfleet were a bit unbelievable but everything else was spot on, exciting, action packed, political intrigue, space fights etc etc. The Klingons were as good as they've ever been in Star Trek with their Shakespeare quotations and they actually looked great when they came to dinner, the costume design made them look really cool.

The moment when the Enterprise fires off the modified torpedo was a truly great Star Trek moment, cut the music just the alarm sounding on the Klingon bridge as the missile curves through space towards it's target.  'To be or not to be!' That whole battle with the Excelsior turning up was classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvJuFLqfTE

Star Trek VII - My overwhelming impression was the stark contrast between the old crew/ Kirk and the distinctly TV-esque nature of the Generations lot. The scene where Picard meets Kirk in the Nexus really stood out, here we have this respected Shakespearean actor and yet the warmth and charm coming off Shatner makes Patrick Stewart look like a total plank.

I agree with Rgirvan that Kirk's fantasy would not be retiring off somewhere chopping wood either. The detaching of the saucer was nicely done even though it just seemed to happen for the sake of it - i.e. to throw in a cool moment in the midst of an otherwise lacklustre movie.

By the way Generations completey rips off the aforementioned Star Trek VI torpedo scene even to the point they actually used the same footage of the Bird of Prey blowing up! Taking the piss or what.

And why did Picard leave Kirk's body on the planet? Surely the return of Kirk would be massive news and he would have been afforded a big officical ceremony/ burial back on Earth?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 221
RE: The Star Trek Films - 4/8/2010 3:12:44 PM   
The Hooded Man

The Next Gen films just didn't have the sheer scale of wonder and warmth of the original crew's outings. The Motion Picture has some great stuff in it even if it doesn't quite capture why people love Trek, a la Wrath of Khan.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 222
RE: The Star Trek Films - 5/8/2010 4:14:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

And why did Picard leave Kirk's body on the planet? Surely the return of Kirk would be massive news and he would have been afforded a big officical ceremony/ burial back on Earth?

I don't mind that moment to be honest. Heck, I doubt Picard would even mention Kirk was out there with him.

But we all know Kirk should have met his end on the bridge of a starship where he belonged.

Post #: 223
RE: The Star Trek Films - 5/8/2010 4:33:40 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I don't mind that moment to be honest. Heck, I doubt Picard would even mention Kirk was out there with him.

Why not though, he's the most famous captain in Starfleet history - the news would be massive for everyone concerned not least for the questions it throws up surrounding immortality and the Nexus.

But we all know Kirk should have met his end on the bridge of a starship where he belonged.

Absolutely 100% agree with that one - looking at the superb opening moments of the Star Trek reboot, you could have transplanted Kirk into a very similar situation that Kirk's old man found himself in. It would have been a very very moving end indeed for William Shatner.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 224
RE: The Star Trek Films - 5/8/2010 4:36:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

I just don't think Picard is the sort of guy to shout it from the rooftops. The way the shot is framed, it really does feel like Kirk is going to be left there and allowed peace.

My ideal ending of Kirk would be him just leaving to explore the stars.  Always out there.

Sadly not to be.

Post #: 225
RE: The Star Trek Films - 5/8/2010 4:37:06 PM   
Timon

"I've always known I'll die alone."

WRONG!

Anyway, this is the best thing to come out of Star Trek V - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBVDh7my9Q&feature=related

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 226
RE: The Star Trek Films - 5/8/2010 4:43:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well...he kinda did die alone. Not in the literal sense. Some guy he met 10 minutes ago was there. But for all intents and purposes he was along.

And that song rocks the house.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 227
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/8/2010 5:30:23 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Star Trek VIII - First Contact : I remember this as being very good, but in fact it's actually very very good indeed. My criticisms of the first Generations-crew outing dissolved away in this excellent effort, the new crew didn't look anywhere near as TV-esque as in the previous movie, as we all know the Borg Queen was great, it was scary, exciting and the special effects were pristine, arguably as good as they've been in any of the Star Trek movies. Patrick Stewart was great, especially when he angrily defended his decision not to abandon the Enterprise, and the scenes with Data and the Borg Queen were also top notch.

I'd say this was on a par with the re-boot personally

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 228
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/8/2010 6:06:40 PM   
Rgirvan44

First Contact is easily the best of the Next Gen movies, although it is far from perfect.However it had that thing which makes the majority of good Trek work, It had an idea - that idea was a rape revenage movie with Picard as the vicitm of the Borg.

My main problem with the film is that it isn't tied up into the secondary storyline quite as well as I would hope. Look at Khan, the main plotline (Kirk vs Khan) the b-plot line (Genisis) and the c plot (Kirk getting old) were tied together wonderfully.

First Contact is aiming for that, but doesn't quite make it. But it is still a really good film, and it is a shame that they were never able to recapture this level of quailty for the next two films.

Post #: 229
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/8/2010 8:57:57 PM   
jobloffski

How much better would Nemesis have been if the ending had panned out as...

We can't stop him. We're practically dead in the water. We have no weapons. There's nothing we can do. Except ram his ship with ours, saving the earth, but killing us all in the process. Thereby becoming Shinzon's Nemesis by being his opposite. Sacrificing ourselves for a greater good, for people who may never even know we did it. And by doing so, send him to hell full of shame, that his actions were entirely driven by self pity.

With mucho meanginful glances between characters, who don't actually want to die, but they will follow their Captain, to death, the final frontier.

That may well be the cheesiest post I've ever typed, but, it would still have been a mother of an ending.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 9/8/2010 9:02:11 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 230
RE: The Star Trek Films - 9/8/2010 9:26:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

How much better would Nemesis have been if the ending had panned out as...

We can't stop him. We're practically dead in the water. We have no weapons. There's nothing we can do. Except ram his ship with ours, saving the earth, but killing us all in the process. Thereby becoming Shinzon's Nemesis by being his opposite. Sacrificing ourselves for a greater good, for people who may never even know we did it. And by doing so, send him to hell full of shame, that his actions were entirely driven by self pity.

With mucho meanginful glances between characters, who don't actually want to die, but they will follow their Captain, to death, the final frontier.

That may well be the cheesiest post I've ever typed, but, it would still have been a mother of an ending.

There are several easy changes you can make to the movie to make it work

- Have Shinzon be against the Romunlans themselves and not Picard. Make it Picards mission to stop him destroying an Empire while also struggling with this impulsive man of action who believes in the sword rather than the pen. Not evil, just not who Picard is. That removes some of the Khanseque pieces of the film and puts a new spin on things.

- B4. No, no, no, no. If they must insist on this, have it be Lore, Datas evil brother. Make him the puppet master behind Shinzon. Another play on the idea of opposites. It is Lore who created Shinzon, it is Lore who introduced this tatical genuis to the Reman, and it is Lore who trained Shinzon in how to fight. Again, a role reversal. In that relationship, Lore is the boss.

- Make the Romulans more of a presence in the film. Have them come to the Federation for help, maybe have the attacks happen around the Netrual Zone.

- Sacrfice Data and keep him dead. Have Lore betray Shinzon in the final moments. One robot leaves, the other gives their life. A mirror of each android and who they are.

- Have Riker on another ship. He and Troi don't add much to the movie, and their subplot could be removed. Have him arrive later in the film, like the Falcon coming to the rescue.

- No car chase.

These are just some ideas I have on the cuff, but it would help to make a richer film I believe.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 231
RE: The Star Trek Films - 11/8/2010 1:17:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

First Contact is easily the best of the Next Gen movies, although it is far from perfect.However it had that thing which makes the majority of good Trek work, It had an idea - that idea was a rape revenage movie with Picard as the vicitm of the Borg.

My main problem with the film is that it isn't tied up into the secondary storyline quite as well as I would hope. Look at Khan, the main plotline (Kirk vs Khan) the b-plot line (Genisis) and the c plot (Kirk getting old) were tied together wonderfully.

First Contact is aiming for that, but doesn't quite make it. But it is still a really good film, and it is a shame that they were never able to recapture this level of quailty for the next two films.

I really liked the First Contact part of it, it was a great idea to show when humans first kicked off in a warp drive and an excellent component of the overall story.

The only problem is the time travel - it's just way too easy. At least in Star Trek IV they were taking a risk sling shotting round the sun.

The Borg could have completely taken over the universe at any point if they could just jump through time like that. It should have been impossible to stop them, why wait till they are next to the Earth to do so?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 232
RE: The Star Trek Films - 11/8/2010 1:30:27 PM   
Timon

It's no more ridiculous than the sling-shot sun effect. Why don't people do that all the time? Especially during The Dominion War...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 233
RE: The Star Trek Films - 11/8/2010 1:35:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

But at least with the sling shot there's an element of risk, they are flying damn close to the sun after all and could potentially fry themselves. That Borg ship just bopped off back in time like all it had to do was hit 88mph. They should have just done it in some obscure corner of space and then Borg'd the shit out of the place.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 234
RE: The Star Trek Films - 11/8/2010 1:46:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

Pretty much. I tend to just kinda ignore the time travel questions in Trek. Did the Cube REALLY need to get that close to Earth if it could have just gone back in time?

Any one here seen the Enterprise episode that serves as a sequel to FC? It is actully damn good, and creates a time loop with the Next Gen episodes.

Post #: 235
RE: The Star Trek Films - 11/8/2010 1:54:56 PM   
Timon

Yeah, I've seen it. Was rather cool. Borg in the Arctic! Had a 'The Thing' vibe going on that I loved.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 236
RE: The Star Trek Films - 15/10/2010 12:49:27 PM   
spark1

check the trek movie marathon on film4 this weekend-

http://trekmovie.com/2010/10/12/film4-running-star-trek-weekend-watch-cool-promo/

also included doc 'trekkers 2' on saturday nite.

Post #: 237
RE: The Star Trek Films - 18/10/2010 1:49:26 PM   
spark1

anyone get to watch all 10 on film4 h d?

realised that 'generations' and 'first contact' worked because they had elements from the TNG series like the duras sisters, the borg while 'insurrection' and 'nemesis' tried to introduce fresh elements and it did'nt work as well.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 18/10/2010 2:02:30 PM >

Post #: 238
RE: The Star Trek Films - 20/11/2010 1:14:09 PM   
spark1

'khan' in hi def on film4, sun 6.40pm, thursday 6.50pm

Post #: 239
RE: The Star Trek Films - 20/11/2010 2:14:59 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

anyone get to watch all 10 on film4 h d?

realised that 'generations' and 'first contact' worked because they had elements from the TNG series like the duras sisters, the borg while 'insurrection' and 'nemesis' tried to introduce fresh elements and it did'nt work as well.

I would argue that Generations failed as a movie because they relied too mch on elements from the tv series.The duras sisters were crap campy villains that had no business being in a movie.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Star Trek Films Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI