Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Trek

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Trek Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 7:44:08 PM   
Olaf

Wrath of Khan it is then, followed by SfS, VH and UD. Cheers for the recommendations guys!

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 151
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 8:35:52 PM   
Rhubarb

Just for the record, I rewatched First Contact because the time travel issues I laid out on the previous page were annoying me, and there is an example of the predestination paradox in that too - they have to make Jack Bauer's dad invent time travel to give Geordi and Number Two something to...that is, so that they can make sure its invented or some such gubbins. Anyway, I would presume that this idea of time travel, along with the idea of being assimilated into the new timeline (which Troi brings up), would contradict the new Trek. Its interesting anyway.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 152
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 8:57:18 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Wrath of Khan it is then, followed by SfS, VH and UD. Cheers for the recommendations guys!

I recommend getting the new Blu ray boxset of TOS season 1,the new fx will make it more palatble for new fans like yourself and some of the episodes there are amongst the best Trek ever.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 153
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 9:05:38 PM   
Rhubarb

I'd say Season 2 is better than Season 1 myself.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 154
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 9:15:32 PM   
JIm R

Going all out for a three box spend-a-thon this week

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 155
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 9:25:02 PM   
Olaf

I haven't got a blu-ray player, so I'm going to stick with the movies at first before I spend too much cash. Is the series being re-released on DVD with the new effects, btw?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 156
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 9:31:42 PM   
JIm R

Olaf, on DVD yes, all three original seasons with updated SFX, yes, see spendathon threats of mine this week

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 157
RE: Star Trek - 10/5/2009 9:33:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I haven't got a blu-ray player, so I'm going to stick with the movies at first before I spend too much cash. Is the series being re-released on DVD with the new effects, btw?

They are out on DVD as well. Picked them up myself. Reviewed every episode in the Star Trek TV thread for season one. A bit rough as the production try and get the formula in place. Just started season 2 and it is a lot stronger. However season 1 has some CLASSIC episodes, including City on the Edge of Forever.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 10/5/2009 9:34:39 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 158
RE: Star Trek - 11/5/2009 7:17:13 AM   
JoeyPottr

I like Star Trek IV when the enterprise team goes back in time. I think it's cool that the team is out of their element and they have to deal with primitive technology and culture. James T. Kirk utters the line to an obnoxious cab driver.
" Well, double dumbass on you! "

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 159
RE: Star Trek - 11/5/2009 9:19:15 PM   
somekindof_battery

I watched Wrath of Khan today, loved it. It brought back so many classic childhood memories. I'm not sure which i prefer though, Khan off ST'09, i think '09 is that damn good.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 160
RE: Star Trek - 11/5/2009 9:31:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: somekindof_battery

I watched Wrath of Khan today, loved it. It brought back so many classic childhood memories. I'm not sure which i prefer though, Khan off ST'09, i think '09 is that damn good.

I still think Khan has a script that is one of the best written for a Hollywood blockbuster. Not a moment is wasted, no plot holes to really speak of and the cast are really engaging. Plus, unlike the new one, it is actully about something, i.e birth and death and aging. Its about Kirk finally confronting death in a way he never had before.

The new film is great, but it is one of those films where you are looking foward to the sequel now they have established the new crew. It did its job and hopefully the next Trek will keep that energy but build up some ideas into the screenplay.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 161
RE: Star Trek - 11/5/2009 9:34:48 PM   
Olaf

Got a copy of Wrath Of Khan and watched it last night, brilliant stuff. Maybe not quite as good as the new one for me but that's going on first viewings for both. Now to find Search For Spock...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 162
RE: Star Trek - 11/5/2009 9:40:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

Thats one of the great things about people loving the new film - they are going to check out the older stuff. Will be interesting to see how people who have never watched the old films feel about about them coming off of Trek 09

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 163
RE: Star Trek - 12/5/2009 9:44:00 AM   
Timon

They'll love them! Namely the Star Trek quadrilogy II-IV (followed by VI).

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 164
RE: Star Trek - 12/5/2009 10:09:11 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

They'll love them! Namely the Star Trek quadrilogy II-IV (followed by VI).

I really want to watch Wrath of Khan again now. Its amazing how this new one makes you want to go back revisit the old classics.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 165
RE: Star Trek - 12/5/2009 10:15:28 AM   
DazDaMan

I can't remember the last time I watched any of the Star Trek films.  My mum used to be a big fan.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 166
RE: Star Trek - 12/5/2009 10:50:43 AM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Oh i agree,but it isnt on Blu Ray yet.Some of the best episods EVER are in season 2,Amok Time,The deadly years,Journey to Babel,and my own personal favourite,Mirror Mirror(''oiling my traps darling'')

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 167
RE: The Star Trek Films - 12/5/2009 11:28:32 AM   
Mason Verger

Probably Star Trek 6, although none of the Star Trek films (1-10) are better than 8 out of ten. All the best stories are in the original series and the next generation. 

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 168
RE: Star Trek - 12/5/2009 5:43:10 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

Oh i agree,but it isnt on Blu Ray yet.Some of the best episods EVER are in season 2,Amok Time,The deadly years,Journey to Babel,and my own personal favourite,Mirror Mirror(''oiling my traps darling'')

Fucking hell DS, I agree with you on something. Mirror, Mirror is my favourite of all time as well.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 169
RE: Star Trek - 12/5/2009 6:35:07 PM   
jackcarter

OK SPOILERS AHOY!

Saw it on Thurs...REALLY good...not WOK good but what could be?

Looking at the previous best to worst list id have to put it in the 'good' section - in front of First Contact

So - 2 (***** classic)......3, 11, 8, 6, 4 (**** all good).....1, 7 (*** ok)....5, 10, 9 (** meh)

so many homages and 'easter eggs' to TOS and movies - from eating the apple during the KM to Ceti Eel type creatures to Pike in wheelchair in TMP style uniform to the Genesis like demise of Vulcan (complete with crumbling ground as they are beamed away - although Amanda not so lucky as Kirk and Spock)...too many to mention really...also some heavy New Hope comparisons and homages - "Punch it," opening shot of the Kelvin, storyline....and thought some of the space scenes were remensient of 'Sunshine' (the start with the kelvin - sun flares - everything bathed in sunlight - no noise etc)...hell there was even shout outs to Galaxy Quest (Tim Allens first meeting with Sarris/Kirks attitude during KM)....surprising light on Trek spin off homages though - Admiral Archer and that was about it! thought theyd be more TNG refrences beyond Spock and Neros involvment and 'where no one has gone before' (plus the Yesterdays Enterprise style plot device) - but then again i guess everyone wanted to distance it from Nemesis and the TNG movies in general

didnt realise until a few days after seeing it that there was no Shatner cameo! (i guess that answers the question of if hed have made the movie better or not!) - i really thought theyd sneak him in there somehow in an ultra secret cameo (also Stewart - i guess Wolverine stole that one LOL)

heres what we missed according to the writers - http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1611116/story.jhtml
(sounds like itd have been a Tholian Web homage....guess theyd have used X3/Ben Button/T4 CGI to make him look like early 1990s shat  - however maybe itd have been abit distracing to the end scenes and taken some of the sheen off Nimoys last scene - esp if Shats had done the end voice over which was a nice homage to Star Trek II)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 12/5/2009 9:20:40 PM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 170
RE: The Star Trek Films - 13/5/2009 7:20:28 PM   
Mason Verger

9 Things Too Silly About Star Trek We Cannot Help But Laugh At (Spoilers!) from The Playlist

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 171
RE: The Star Trek Films - 13/5/2009 11:36:39 PM   
juanvasquez

I've been Sky plussing the movies as they are being shown on Sky Sci-fi/Horror all week. So far I've watched II-IV and I've really enjoyed them. Though contrary to most peoples opinions, I liked Search For Spock and The Journey Home more than The Wrath Of Khan. All are still great though.

I read up on Space Seed as I've not seen the TV shows. In fact these are the first films I've watched featuring the original cast. I've seen First Contact and Insurrection which I really liked but I much prefer the older ones.

I missed TMP, but it's repeated later in the week. Though by all accounts I'm not missing much.

And it seems I'd be better off missing The Final Frontier. But I'll still give it a chance. I've enjoyed them all a lot more than I was expecting

Anyway, I'd give the 'trilogy' 4/5 overall. Brilliant but not perfect.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 172
RE: The Star Trek Films - 14/5/2009 1:33:48 AM   
directorscut

quote:

I missed TMP, but it's repeated later in the week. Though by all accounts I'm not missing much.

If by "much" you mean one of the greatest scores ever written and the best Trek movie, then yes you're not missing "much".

And dodgy effects and disturbing Uhura dance scene aside, I quite like The Final Frontier.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 173
RE: Star Trek - 14/5/2009 2:30:54 AM   
somekindof_battery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: somekindof_battery

I still think Khan has a script that is one of the best written for a Hollywood blockbuster. Not a moment is wasted, no plot holes to really speak of and the cast are really engaging. Plus, unlike the new one, it is actully about something, i.e birth and death and aging. Its about Kirk finally confronting death in a way he never had before.

The new film is great, but it is one of those films where you are looking foward to the sequel now they have established the new crew. It did its job and hopefully the next Trek will keep that energy but build up some ideas into the screenplay.

Yeah, like Iron Man, Star Trek is basically a trailer for an awesome sequel (with any luck). I do love the whole idea of Kirk facing growing old, it's a very simple but human thing that doesn't seem to be faced too much in Hollywood films like the numerous Bond films where the actors are visibly old.

One thing that does annoy me slightly in TOS films is the lack of colour coded uniforms. I loved that they had them in the new film, doesn't quite feel like ST without them.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 174
RE: Star Trek - 14/5/2009 4:34:19 PM   
Rhubarb

They even had the red guy go to his death!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 175
RE: Star Trek - 14/5/2009 4:38:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

They even had the red guy go to his death!

"I can't wait to get down there and kick some Romulan arse!"

Oh Olsen, you will be missed. But don't worry. I'm sure some Expanded Universe book will be written about you.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 176
RE: Star Trek - 14/5/2009 4:48:13 PM   
Timon

Oh the irony of having a red shirt from Liverpool....and then he dies. Hard.

Rgirvan's right, i'm sure in the Expanded Universe, he was in a happy gay partnership with a Bolian... or something.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 177
RE: Star Trek - 14/5/2009 4:58:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

I liked how no one on the ship gave a damn when Chekov announced he was gone.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 178
RE: Star Trek - 14/5/2009 5:11:21 PM   
Mojo

I'm really itching to see this again. The feature on Empire's front page about all the in-jokes is good. Not a hardcore trekkie so I missed a lot of them, but noticed a few.

I've been sat in the library all day and there are these girls (clearly not Trekkies) sat on the table with me and one of them was talking about how good Star Trek was, and the everybody else was "I can't believe you went to see Star Trek." ... So its clearly getting some people who would never dream of seeing a Trek film, but I guess there are a lot of people who still won't even give this reboot a chance. Its a shame, because you know if they just went to watch it they'd love it.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 179
RE: The Star Trek Films - 14/5/2009 7:52:21 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

If by "much" you mean one of the greatest scores ever written and the best Trek movie, then yes you're not missing "much".

And dodgy effects and disturbing Uhura dance scene aside, I quite like The Final Frontier.

I'm currently about an hour into TFF and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe its the second hour that sucks.

When Kirk, McCoy and Spock are round the camp fire is very amusing.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Trek Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI