Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The best STAR TREK movie ???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 15/2/2008 9:12:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

I know I'm going to get hanged for this, but I kinda like Star Trek V. It is the only Kirk era movie that feels like a direct relation to the 60s show. I mean, the Enterpise gets hijacked and he fights a giant ball of gas at the end - those two plotlines amounted to a good third of OS episodes!.  

Are the speical effects awful? Sure - but it doesn't detract from the film.
Is Uhura dancing a bit...yucky? I can agree with that but also say its a more memorable scene than anything from Inssurection or Nemisis.

The Final Frontier, if made in the 60s as a two parter, could have been seen as a classic and the two problems I mentioned above would be irrelevent.

There are some great scenes in there and the banter between Kik, Bones and Spock are fun. Its the only film that lets the characters breath and just kick back. Everyone is aiming for something a little more profound in the other films.

Shatner has a decent eye and you can see him struggling to get every penny out of the budget.

And of course who can hate the moment where, after Spocks brother and "God" have been talking for over 5 mins, Shatner kind of bobs his head up from the back and utters "What would God need with a Starship?"

If that aint the 60s show then I don't know what is.

None of the Kirk era movies are so awful so as to be without merit and I would put V above the Motion Picture - while I admire that film there is no warmth.

Bottom line - even the dumbest moments of V are better than almost two and a half films worth of Next Gen movies.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Ivan Galliver)
Post #: 61
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 16/2/2008 4:53:24 PM   
Tech_Noir

Agreed, ALL the films with original crew are great fun.

I just find the Next Gen characters boring, Data being the most irritating.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 62
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 17/2/2008 2:52:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

Is this what some of the OS cast are reduced to staring in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jvbSpozK7A&feature=related

Why do none of these fan movies ever have decent scripts? Usually the excuse is the actors are all amatuers but here you actully have cast members looking like they want to go and hide in a dark hole.

I never thought I would cringe as much as I did watching that.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 63
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 18/2/2008 5:50:07 AM   
dracovir

For me it's not which are the best, but which are the worst.  Or at least below par with the others.  Remember that some avoided Star Wars type thrills and spills, instead focusing on the core themes of Trek as Rodenberry intended.  Hope for the future of all races and all that.

Loved TMC, great and true to the Trek ideals (Also from director Robert Wise, of The Day the Earth Stood Still and Amdromeda Strain amongst many other Sci-Fi films).

Khan - brilliant, well acted, brilliant, that ending, brilliant, 'KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!!', brilliant...

Search for Spock - One of the lesser ones of the franchise, and I always link this to a memory of Timmy Mallet doing some skit or another based around the final fight scene, tarnishing my memory of this film.

Voyage Home - Probably the best of the franchise.  Simple as.

Final Frontier - probably one of the two criminally underrated films of the series.  Yes, the effects were bad even for its time, but director Shatner has some very fancy camerawork that makes up for that.  Sound story, decent acting, I actually like this one.

Undiscovered Story - a brilliant example of how Science Fiction can be used to mirror current events - here, it is likening the fall of Communism to the fall of the Klingon Empire, showing our Earthbound politicians how such a situation should be handled (around the court case and conspiracy main plots, of course).  David Warner in a different role from the one he played in Trek V and Christopher Plummer in a top role, an underrated villain.

Generations - Yes, it felt like an over-extended Next Gen episode, but was that not the point?  Thoroughly enjoyable and again, remains true to Roddenberry's core ideals.

First Contact - The Borg.  'Nuff said.  I think now people can look back and not like it as much as first time round, now that Voyager stripped away pretty much all of the Borg's threatening mystique.

Insurrection - the second of the two criminally underrated Treks, it focuses less on the chances for great action instead to focus on the core ideals that were the foundation for all things Trek.  Maybe it was too much Data for some?

Nemesis - by the worst.  Does remain true to the core ideals but was ineptly directed and most of the cast seemed to phone in their performances except for Patrick Stewart.  Should really have been titled Star Trek: Data for the story focus and amount of screen time offered - we have had anough of that character's development in the series, let alone in the previous movies!  Besides, they took the sheer beauty of Dina Meyer and stuck her in a Romulan wig.  Assholes!

so besides III and X, I guess I love all the other 8 for various reasons, so I'd just list them as equals.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 64
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 18/2/2008 11:17:57 AM   
ScottiE

my top 3 would be
1 FIRST CONTACT
2 THE WRATH OF KHAN
3 NEMISES.

I think I must be the only Trekkie who actually liked Nemises. I don't know why but I do. maybe its just one of those gulity pleaseurs I have.
anyway I'm looking forward to Trek 11. even though its going back in a direection I think could be floored.

< Message edited by ScottiE -- 18/2/2008 12:22:15 PM >

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 65
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 4/6/2008 3:06:24 PM   
Mason Verger

Character Study: Mr. Spock from NPR.org

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 66
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 5/6/2008 7:31:27 PM   
evil bill

Number 1

Number 2

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 67
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 6/6/2008 1:47:31 AM   
directorscut

And that is why The Motion Picture is awesome.

I do find it somewhat interesting that people (usually self-claimed non-Trek fans) pick Wrath of Khan and First Contact as their favourite Star Trek films simply because of the action element.  It seems they miss the entire goddamn point of Star TrekStar Trek isn't about action.  It's about ideas.  Exploration.  The advancement of mankind.  Bolding going where no one has gone before.  The Motion Picture is about this.  That is (partly) why it's awe-inspiring.  The Next Generation films sadly were not.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 68
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 7/6/2008 1:20:42 PM   
davidjthomson

I think KHAN is the best by virtue of a story developed from an episode of the original TV series.   KHAAAAN!

The movies are the same as the tv series in so far that i prefer original cast (wigs and corsets included) over the Next Generation.
First Contact was a lot darker than any of the Next Gen tv episodes, hence i found it the best of the Next Gen movies. 

The Search For Spock was very underated - Chris Lloyd as the Klingon commander was inspired casting.

Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 69
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/6/2008 1:55:51 PM   
Lightfoot

There are only three certainties in this world:

1. You will die.
2. 3/4 length trousers never looked and will never look good on anyone.
3. Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek film.

Honestly, I'm amazed it's under discussion. I just thought it one of those givens.

(in reply to davidjthomson)
Post #: 70
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/6/2008 2:55:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

I'm amazed so many people rate First Contact over Khan.

First Contact was the best of the next gen movies but that's still not saying much since the next gen crew (with the exception of Picard) are all quite dull in my opinion.

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 71
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/6/2008 3:21:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I'm amazed so many people rate First Contact over Khan.

First Contact was the best of the next gen movies but that's still not saying much since the next gen crew (with the exception of Picard) are all quite dull in my opinion.

Picard: "Crew, the entire Federation fleet is about to engage the Borg for a battle that will decide the fate of Earth itself. No holds barred, thousands of starships which will give no inch. Yes indeed this is a historic day for the universe..."

The crew of Enterprise LISTEN to the great big huge battle in which thousands of lives are lost.

Picard: "Truely this has been an epic day, let us now go to Earth where I will easily destroy the cube with my super Borg knowledge thus making me seem a little bit of a dick to all the familes who lost loved ones."

I would take Star Trek 5 over any of the Next Gen movies any day of the week.  If Stewart wasn't in the tv or movies they would be awful. Date, Picard and Riker are no Kirk, Bones and Spock.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 9/6/2008 3:22:30 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 72
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/6/2008 5:16:44 PM   
Tech_Noir

"No... the game's not over... From Hell's heart, I stab at thee"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 73
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 10/6/2008 8:13:04 AM   
Timon

After re-watching it, I'm leaning towards Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country being the best of the series (thus far). Whilst Wrath of Khan is a fantastic revenge movie with an emotional ending, The Undiscovered Country simply has much more layers.

Star Trek has always mirrored modern day politics and set it in the future to give it some sort of perspective and to show in many ways how petty we all are be, it our racist tendancies in the original episode 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield' or modern day conflicts such as Palestine and the Gaza Strip mirrored in the Maquis/Demilitarised Zone.

Star Trek VI though, has everything - you have the mirroring of the end of the Cold War with the destruction of the Klingon moon Praxis mirroring Chernobyl forcing the Klingons/Russians to seek help from their nemesis - The West/The Federation. Headed by visionary chancellor, Gorkon - a mixture of Gorbachov and Abraham Lincoln - the Klingons seek to find some sort of peace but old prejudices die hard on both sides.

On top of this you have the adventure side - assisinations, sent to the Klingon gulags, space battles and then you have the old crew retiring but I think the most important thing is that the film humanises Roddenberry's 'perfect' future.

Apparently, he hated the film. He's always hated Meyer's films as he never liked how he made the series more militaristic and more 'Hornblower-esque'. What he didn't like however is that Kirk, the hero, was a bit of a racist. Kirk hates the Klingons. He's been fighting them for years, they killed his son and when Spock says that, "They're dying", he goes, "Let them die." Even Shatner balked at that line. He wasn't alone. Brock Peters apparently couldn't stomach some of his lines as Admiral Cartwright where he speaks of the Klingons becoming 'the trash of the galaxy' - for a man of his standing and beliefs, he was simply very hard to say. The thing is, the Starfleet characters aren't so much racist, but it's all they've known - fighting the Klingons. The Klingons are the same - what happens to their militaristic society when there is noone to fight, what do you do when you have no nemesis anymore? What do you do to define yourself?

I think it's brilliant - that coupled with the dinner scene from hell where the humans and Klingons let their various prejudices bubble to the surface is cringing and yet fascinating to watch.

Then you have General Chang - Christopher Plummer! In Star Trek! As a Klington! Who quotes Shakespeare! In the 'original Klingon'! Just like Hitler once claimed that Shakespeare was really German........Brilliant

A very underrated sci-fi film, not just a Star Trek film.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 74
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 10/6/2008 8:30:02 AM   
Tech_Noir

The problem I have with Undiscovered Country is all the core characters are seperated most of the time and have little interaction with each other until the very very end.

A good film but still no Khan - I also think they were just too old by the sixth film.

Hell, old age was one of the themes of Khan.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 75
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 10/6/2008 5:53:54 PM   
Timon

quote:

The problem I have with Undiscovered Country is all the core characters are seperated most of the time and have little interaction with each other until the very very end.

If anything that's the problem with Wrath of Khan, apart from Kirk and Spock's interaction, most other people are sidelined especially Sulu and Uhura. Granted McCoy gets his 'Look out, here comes Genesis' speech but apart from that, it is The Kirk and Spock show. Even Khan isn't on screen that much, it's just a testament to Montabhan that he makes such an impact in such a short time.

In the Undiscovered Country, everyone gets a chance to shine. Kirk and Spock have their banter and some great scenes about 'outliving their usefulness', McCoy gets some fantastic screen time in the prison camp and at the show trial, Sulu gets his own command and Scotty, Chekhov and Uhura try and solve the conspiracy angle. Hardly anyone is sidelined. Plus General Chang chews up the screen with some of the best lines in the franchise PLUS you get the bonus that him and Kirk verbally spar face to face, as opposed to Kirk and Khan.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 76
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 10/6/2008 6:53:40 PM   
Tech_Noir

Not convinced Timon, I just love the Genesis trilogy (II-III-IV).

I still like Undiscovered Country, better than any of the next gen movies.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 77
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 10/6/2008 9:54:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

If you have the two disk edition of Final Frontier you should really check out the  interview with Bill Shatner on set when he is in director mode. While I love chilled out Shatner nothing beats seeing him when he has full on ego.

He talks about how climbers want to make love with mountains and how rocks may be alive (thus explaining the proposed rock monsters). No wonder his cast mates hated him afterwards.

Honestly - its really funny. He keeps doing retakes - each one more and more up its own arse....

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 10/6/2008 9:55:54 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 78
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 11/6/2008 7:47:08 AM   
Timon

If you watch ANY of the documentaries on the 2 disc DVDs, you can see how egotistical the man is.

He claims HE'S responsible for Leonard Nimoy's career, he constantly moans about how he was screwed over in Star Trek II and III while Nimoy was 'the golden boy', how he bravely found a fire on the Star Trek III single handedly and then the fire crews saluted him, how he compares himself to Peter Pan..............the man never stops.

Still, he's The Shat!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 79
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 11/6/2008 8:51:48 AM   
Sledge Hammer

Quickly before my point Khan followed by Undiscovered Country are my faves.

SPOILERS for undicovered country

anyway, I always remember seeing the undiscovered country for the first time on TV after having seen it at the cinema and was shocked at the scooby doo ending change.

You know where the hitman turns out to be human underneath a Klingon mask. I am sure that didnt happen at the cinema - why did they change it?

If it wasn't for those pesky starfleet officers, they would have got away with it too...

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 80
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 11/6/2008 11:56:36 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

If you watch ANY of the documentaries on the 2 disc DVDs, you can see how egotistical the man is.

He claims HE'S responsible for Leonard Nimoy's career, he constantly moans about how he was screwed over in Star Trek II and III while Nimoy was 'the golden boy', how he bravely found a fire on the Star Trek III single handedly and then the fire crews saluted him, how he compares himself to Peter Pan..............the man never stops.

Still, he's The Shat!

Loved the totally awkward press conference for the Final Frontier. Unfunny, badly staged and all the actors - in costume! - having a toast on the bridge in front of the worlds press followed by Shanter taking questions and being rather up his own arse.

You just know he demanded that Paramount set it up.

Shatner (Introducing the cast) : "And here is my......Russian colleague"
Koeing (a little pissed off) : "My names Walter Koeing"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 81
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 11/6/2008 12:03:34 PM   
directorscut

The Undiscovered Country holds a special place in my heart for being the first widescreen VHS I owned.

Wrath of Khan also holds a special place in my heart for being the first self-proclaimed "Uncut" VHS I owned.  A 15s rated Star Trek movie - WTF?!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 4/9/2008 5:39:29 PM   
Timon

The sand slug in the ear scene used to give me nightmares as kid. I'm not surprised it was a 15. Plus you see the Regula One staff strung up with their throats cut...

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 83
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 4/9/2008 10:40:45 PM   
Dave B

I've finished watching the boxset and this is how I would rate the films.

10. The Final Frontier. Probably the only truly bad film in the series. A terrible plot, rubbish alien, the final fight is laughable and the effects are shocking. Tries to be philosophical and deep and fails miserably.

09. Nemesis. Quite good fun in parts and some decent action but its far too similar in structure and plot to Wrath of Khan. Also the villain and his costume is very hard to take seriously, meaning the whole film lacks any sense of threat and tension.

08. Insurrection. Not bad but not great and probably the most TV like of the film series, with weak action and a dull romance subplot with Picard and Anji.

07. The Motion Picture. I quite like it actually, there's some bad acting but the brilliant score and leasurely paced direction do give the film a sense of wonder and alienness but its very very slow at times. Still its heart is in the right place.

06. Generations. Not many people will agree with me but I think this is a really entertaining film. Malcolm McDowel is great, the scene's with Picard and Kirk together are good fun and while its not as cinematic as the best Trek movies its got some good interaction between the cast and some stunning effects. The scene of the Enterprise crash landing is awesome.

05. The Search for Spock. Very underated. While it may seem foolish to bring Spock back after such a moving death scene, his return actually makes emotional and logical (haha) sense. Seeing the destructiuon the Genesis project causes is something The Wrath of Khan lacked and it works brilliantly here, as it not only increases the tension in this film but shows the evil behind Kahn's plan of using it as a weapon. Also you can't go wrong with Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon.

04. First Contact. The only truly great Trek film with the Next Generation crew; it manages to balance the action, the tension, the humour and the emotion brilliantly. Picard's speach about destroying the Enterprise is one of the most powerful of the series and the scene's between the Borg Queen and Data are fascinating as it questions how far Data will go to be human in a more interesting way than Generations did.

03. The Wrath of Khan. Can't really add anything that's not already been said but it improves on the first film ten fold by having a villain with more emotional connection to the characters, better acting and the best scene of the franchise. No not Kirk's, "KHAAAAAAAAAAN" moment but Spock's death scene. "You are, and always shall be, my friend."

02. The Undiscovered Country. The most well plotted and dense of the Trek movies and another brilliant film from Nicholas Meyer. It draws interesting comparisons to the cold war and actually seems more relevent than ever. Anyone who thinks Star Trek is silly should watch this film.

01. The Voyage Home. And anyone who thinks Star Trek is silly will probably have seen this film. It may not technically be a better film than some of the others but its by far the most entertaining. Seeing the Trek crew in the 80s is brilliant fun and the interaction between the cast was never better. "What does he mean, 'exact change.'?"

< Message edited by Dave B -- 4/9/2008 10:42:41 PM >

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 84
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 6/9/2008 9:12:33 PM   
jenzie

i decided to listen to ST:TMP's movie soundtrack a few weeks back, as i wanted something to listen too on my pc ..... late saturday night .....

and after a few minutes decided to put on the actual film (from the 1-6 silver vhs widescreen boxset) ..... this was at one in the morning ..... and watched it

BRILLIANCE

sorry, without the first one, there wouldn't be any others ..... no next generation, no DS9, no enterprise (some will debate this as a good thing though  ) and defo no more movies .....

pay respect to it people!!!

it's the ULTIMATE TREK MOVIE imo, it's storyline is pure and simple ..... V'GER is like the crew of the enterprise really, and holds the same aspects of them ..... it's a total reversal of the antithisis of trek, to boldly go into the unknown and learn!

i could watch it all day, as it's beautiful modelwork floats by and the measured performances leave indellible marks on you!  i like star trek bangbang as much as anyone else, but TMP is like soft velvet, covering and comforting the viewer!

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 85
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 24/10/2008 4:59:40 PM   
Timon

I too like the Motion Picture.

More Trek films should have a 5min sequence where the spaceship is lovingly inspected by its captain to a soaring Jerry Goldsmith score.

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 86
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 26/10/2008 2:51:32 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

"No... the game's not over... From Hell's heart, I stab at thee"

Didn't know Rhys Ifans was in a Star Trek film!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 87
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 26/10/2008 8:59:38 PM   
The Scientist

1.         The Wrath of Khan
2.         The Voyage Home
3.         The Undiscovered Country
4.         First Contact
5.         Insurrection
6.         Generations
7.         The Search for Spock
8.         The Motion Picture
9.         The Final Frontier
10.       Nemesis

The Wrath of Khan was very enjoyable entertainment but also had a decent science fiction concept, the genesis project.  The Voyage Home was good tongue in cheek fun with an ecological message.  First Contact was best of the next gen.  Nemesis was very poor, mirroring the low quality of the Enterprise series.

I am not a ninja but am under hynosis.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 88
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 27/10/2008 1:00:34 PM   
jackcarter

listed best to worst

The Classic (***** stars)
Wrath of Khan (best trek film BY FAR..no question...Im sorry but its just one of those obvious things like Mad Max 2 is the best Max film or Raiders is the best Indy or Empire is the best SW....its not even one of those like Alien/Aliens or Godfather 1/2 or T1/T2 where opinion is split ...its the best one full stop. Very surprised some here have put VI or VIII ahead...slightly annoyed it didnt feature in Empires 500 list)

The goods (****)
Search for Spock (very underated - maybe due to the faux even = good/odd= bad rule...a true Trekian film..probably the closest in tone to the tv series - e.g Kirks climactic fight...plenty of action, emotion, big events etc...kinda like the Empire Strikes Back of the Genesis 'trilogy' - a worthy follow up to II...probably contains the best scene of all the films (yes even Khan) - the crew atop the mountain watching the Enterprise fall from the heavens...)

First Contact (best TNG film by far...superb acting from Stewart as Capt Ripley..sorry i meant Picard...Star Trek does Aliens mixed with a little Terminator...and theres nothing wrong with that)

Voyage Home (probably the most entertaining trek film for non fans...superb end to the Genesis saga...possibliy responsible for that Friends 'The one with the...' thing)

Undiscovered Country (a great conclusion to original films...and the original cast in general...another close in tone to the original series...would and maybe should be higher but just prefer the others...)

The oks (***)
Motion Picture (one of the few films that gets better with age...the DC is the best version...star trek done 2001 style...a true epic SF film....a fasinating curiosity)

Generations (abit lame actually...esp when you consider what else they couldve done to bring the 2 crews together..Yesterdays Enterprise etc...still some nice scenes here and there though with Soran and Picard)

The Bads (**)
Final Frontier (yeah its bad and the FX are poor at times but its another close in tone to TOS like III and VI....some bits are nice - opening mountain scene - Shatner pre-empting Stallone in Cliffhanger by 4 years and setting a prescient for when filmmakers want to show their hero 'relaxing' (MI2 - which was written by TNG writers so no stealing there!, AvP etc).....'Ive always known...I'll die alone..' - that was a good scene around the campfire with Kirk talking about his mortality, sort of a set up for a tremendous death scene in a future film - e.g. Kirk..alone..on the bridge of an empty enterprise...saving his crew/earth somehow...the captain going down with his ship...sorta like This Side of Paradise's alone on the bridge scene mixed with Star Trek IIIs destruct scene, shame they didnt follow up on it instead of choosing to kill him under a bridge instead of on one.....The Wheel Room scenes - this was a nice set, a bit of luxery on the normally rather bland starship, foreshadowing TNG, and i liked Spocks talking about Sybok, the music was great in that scene.....The shuttle blast - sorta reminisant of the 'open the pod bay doors hal' scene in 2001...(similar sound FX and computer displays in the shuttle)....Plus the films score was top notch - one of the best scores)

Nemesis (Shameless attempt to mimic Wrath of Khan...quite a poor attempt that wasnt even necessary as First Contact was clearly TNGs 'Khan'...)

Insurrection (Yawn..did they find a boring 2 parter they forgot to make from season 6 or 7 and decided to slap it on the big screen? yes i think they did! The begining of the end for TNG...was quite depressing seeing the excellent Phantom Menace trailer beforehand and have everyone chatting about that for the rest of the film (little did people realise that it wouldnt that much better lol)

Hopefully the new film will fit right at the top of the 'good' section...or perhaps even the classic section (under Khan of course..nothing will beat Khan)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 27/10/2008 4:44:38 PM >

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 89
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 30/10/2008 10:54:12 PM   
rupert303

sorry, but most star trek is a bit poo. utopian society only leads to a dynamic of smugness. shatner's gooning carried the series for too long, and was the main enjoyable aspect (sorry trekkies ). which was the one where they kill god? that was pretty funny

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI