Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The best STAR TREK movie ???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The best STAR TREK movie ??? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 27/2/2007 2:02:51 PM   
Beno

Which is the best one of the franchise so far; for me its The Undiscovered Country with
First Contact in second place ......REPLYS XX

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"
Post #: 1
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 27/2/2007 3:12:33 PM   
Wedge

In descending order:

1) First Contact
2) Wrath of Kahn
3) Undiscovered Country
4) Voyage Home
5) Generations
6) Final Frontier
7) Insurrection
8) Search for Spock
9) Nemesis
10) The Motion Picture

If you have a different list, then you are just wrong.  I'm expecting No. 11 to sit bewteen the current 4 and 5 on my list.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 2
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 27/2/2007 5:07:09 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Which is the best one of the franchise so far; for me its The Undiscovered Country with
First Contact in second place ......REPLYS XX

For me it's the same.

VI shades it - as well as the film being great Iman is gorgeous

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 3
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 28/2/2007 8:33:25 AM   
KennyM

Can't pick between Khan and Undiscovered Country.
Really tight.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 4
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 28/2/2007 11:19:07 AM   
HitchHiker

I can't really say because I've only seen Generations, First Contact and Insurrection, but out of those 3 First Contact definitely wins. You don't have to be a Trek fan to enjoy that movie. Fun for everyone :)
I really must watch the rest of them.

If God had wanted us to fly he would have built the airports closer to the cities.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 5
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 28/2/2007 11:33:45 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: HitchHiker

I can't really say because I've only seen Generations, First Contact and Insurrection, but out of those 3 First Contact definitely wins. You don't have to be a Trek fan to enjoy that movie. Fun for everyone :)
I really must watch the rest of them.

I really wouldn't bother with The Motion Picture or Nemesis.  Awful.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to HitchHiker)
Post #: 6
RE: The Best Star Trek Movie - 28/2/2007 11:38:59 AM   
Timon

Excuse me, there is nothing wrong with The Motion Picture.

It does a great job reuniting the crew, dragging McCoy out of retirement, Spock leaving Vulcan and sending them to stop V'Ger.

The problem is after Star Wars et al. it was a tad too cerebral and dare I say it dull for a sci-fi movie but it really is more Trek than most of the other films dealing with identity, God and other worlds. It has it's slow moments (Which Khan makes up for) but it's a decent sci-fi movie. Think more 2001 though, than Wrath of Khan.

And for the record;

1. Wrath Of Khan
2. First Contact
3. Undiscovered Country
4. Search For Spock
5. The Voyage Home
6. Motion Picture
7. Generations
8. Nemesis
9. Insurrection
10. Final Frontier.

I thank you.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 7
RE: The Best Star Trek Movie - 28/2/2007 11:44:32 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ok, I may have been overly harsh.  It has some interesting ideas.  However, for the most part it's just a deadly dull rehash of an OS episode, stretched to make it film length.

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: The Best Star Trek Movie - 28/2/2007 11:47:56 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

quote:

Ok, I may have been overly harsh.  It has some interesting ideas.  However, for the most part it's just a deadly dull rehash of an OS episode, stretched to make it film length.

Exactly! Not quite what people wanted to see post-Star Wars but if you like Trek and slightly more profound sci-fi, it's a decent film.

Anyway, this thread needs pictures.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 9
RE: The Best Star Trek Movie - 28/2/2007 2:11:37 PM   
Kira

1. Wrath of Khan
    OMG, Spock . I cried my heart out as a child. My dad had to calm me with stupid bedtime stories afterwards. It was a trauma.
  2. First Contact
    Excellent science-fiction film, sexy Capn Picard .
  3. Search for Spock
    Ranks third just because of the nice scenes on planet Vulcan.
  4. The Voyage Home
  5. Undiscovered Country, Generations, Insurrection, Motion Picture
    All on the same level for me.
  6. Final Frontier
    Boring and insignificant IMO.
  7. Nemesis
    Can't really say anything about it, I was drunk and fell asleep.
I would still love to see a DS9 movie, but that will never happen.

< Message edited by Kira -- 28/2/2007 2:14:15 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 1/3/2007 4:11:03 PM   
M.

1 First Contact  (Borg rules)
2 Generations (two captains!)
3 Wrath of Khan (Yeah, Spock died)
4 The undiscovered country (great trial scene)
5 Search for Spock (Yeah, Spock lives)
6 Voyage Home  (I love time travel)
7 Insurrection  (would have been a good TNG episode, but does not serve well as a feature film)
8 Nemesis (too much boring action, no attention to characters)
9 Star Trek The Motion Picture (too much V'Ger scenes)
10 Star Trek The final frontier (why does God need a spaceship?)

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 11
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 1/3/2007 4:21:35 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: M.

7 Insurrection  (would have been a good TNG episode, but does not serve well as a feature film)

I think you'll find that it had already made a good TNG episode

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to M.)
Post #: 12
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 8/3/2007 6:16:53 PM   
simonmckergan1

1. First Contact 
2. Wrath of Khan
3. The Voyage Home
4. Undiscovered Country
5. Search For Spock
6. Motion Picture
7. Generations
8. Nemesis
9. Insurrection
10. Final Frontier

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 13
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 8/3/2007 6:23:42 PM   
Tech_Noir

"No Kirk, the game's not over"

I don't understand how people can rate First Contact over Wrath of Khan.

Khan had everything, tense space action, genuinely emotional scenes, a perfect score, and effects that still impress (nebulae battle).

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 14
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 8/3/2007 6:30:49 PM   
simonmckergan1

Khan's great Tech_Noir.  I just love the Borg.  To be honest I think they are both great!!!!!!

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 15
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 8/3/2007 6:37:53 PM   
Cuchulainn

Not being a Trekkie?Trekker? I still enjoyed a few of these...
1.The Wrath Of Khan
2.First Contact
3.The Undiscovered Country
4.The Voyage Home

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 16
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 8/3/2007 6:49:16 PM   
Cuchulainn

I might have known you'd show up before long,Impqueen...
Question...Is there 3 or 4 series of the original Trek show?

< Message edited by Cuchulainn -- 8/3/2007 6:50:09 PM >

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"
Post #: 17
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 8:53:46 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

How on earth is First Contact better than Wrath of Khan?

Seriously... how? Just the thought of earwigs gives me the wiggins.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 18
RE: The Best Star Trek Movie - 9/3/2007 10:34:17 AM   
Timon

"I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"

Never was a villain more eloquent

"From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 19
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 10:38:48 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

How on earth is First Contact better than Wrath of Khan?

Seriously... how? Just the thought of earwigs gives me the wiggins.

Hmm, I had thought so but I'm beginning to waver...

What's with all the hate toward Star Trek V?  It's not the best but I still find it fun, and it has some of the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy scenes of the whole series.

"Everybody's dead Dave"

Post #: 20
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 10:46:10 AM   
Horatio T Loins

I'm suprised Nemisis isn't last on everybody's list because undoubtedly it is the worst Star Trek film ever. Its a copy of Wrath of Khan and a pretty poor one at that because while in Wrath of Khan the veiwer was actually saddened by Spocks death in this film Datas 'death' is abysmal and empty. Where is the plot in Nemisis? somewhere on the floor forgotten behind the action sequences and pathetic premise- a clone of Picard is easily far worse than God wanting a space ship.

Thus a proper order for these films
1. Wrath of Khan, suspense, tension, sadness and some excellent   lines
2 The Undiscovered Country, cold war thriller with a excellent battle scene towards the end
3 The Voyage Home, good easy fun featuring whales
4 First Contact, excellent opening scene and well driven plot
5 Final Frontier, not as bad as people say with some good battle scenes and an excellent shot of God being murdered with a Bird of Prey
6 Insurrection, not brilliant but fairly enjoyable
7 The Motion Picture, hated it completely as a kid but now embrace it as a slightly overlong but enjoyable romp through space
8 The Search For Spock, only good bits are David being murdered and the destruction of the Enterprise, which i have to say brought a tear to my eye.
9 Generations, only good part is the Enterprise B at the beginning but then gets worse and worse. Kirk dies by falling off a small bridge thich is a pathetic death for such a monumental character
10 Nemisis, i cry at night thanks to this 

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 21
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 10:51:28 AM   
Timon

I'll tell you why there is hate against Star Trek V.

It starts off well. Kirk, Spock and McCoy bonding in Yosemite, "I've always known i'll die alone", "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by".......and then it gets messy. Very messy.

The planet of Nimbus III looks cheap and nasty, the action scenes are all Kirk-orientated which wouldn't be bad but as Shatner is directing it all seems rather big headed. Sybok's quest to find Eden is a little lame. An alien impersonating God?! What does God need with a starship? How does confronting your inner pain turn you against your captain? Why does Uhura starting hitting on Scotty?! It's all rather flimsy.....like the effects. The premise could have been handled really well but it all falls apart under scrutity.

Oh and Roddenberry hated it.

Saying that the shuttle crash is great as is the "I know this ship like the back of my hand....THUNK"

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 22
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 10:52:05 AM   
Wedge

Ahem

Before anyone goes any further, I feel I should get a few things straight.  The baddie in Final Frontier is not God/a God, but a powerful alien.  That's the whole point.  Furthermore, I think Final Frontier should be admired for tackling theological questions.  I think that is one of the main reasons it's so underrated, theology is just not that sexy.

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Horatio T Loins)
Post #: 23
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 10:57:52 AM   
Timon

I did say an alien IMPERSONATING God, Wedgey. Don't try and get all high and mighty with me!

Apparantly the 'alien' was going to be Satan and Kirk, Spock and McCoy were going to be attacked by demons with McCoy being dragged over the River Stynx and his shipmates having to rescue him....but this was deemed to dark by Paramount hence all the shoehorned humour.

Basically, what was originally a dark script was ripped a part by a commitee and stuck back together making a disjointed and terrible film.

"Plan B.....B...for barricade"

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 24
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 11:03:11 AM   
The Hooded Man

1) Wrath of Khan.
2) The Voyage Home.
3) First Contact.
4) Undiscovered Country.
5) Search for Spock.
6) Insurrection.
7) Motion Picture.
8) Nemesis.
9) Generations.
10) Final Frontier.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 25
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 11:04:40 AM   
Wedge

quote:

I did say an alien IMPERSONATING God, Wedgey. Don't try and get all high and mighty with me!

Apparantly the 'alien' was going to be Satan and Kirk, Spock and McCoy were going to be attacked by demons with McCoy being dragged over the River Stynx and his shipmates having to rescue him....but this was deemed to dark by Paramount hence all the shoehorned humour.

Basically, what was originally a dark script was ripped a part by a commitee and stuck back together making a disjointed and terrible film.

"Plan B.....B...for barricade"

Your post wasn't up when I started writing mine Timon

Thank Fake God they didn't go with the original premise then!

quote:

The premise could have been handled really well but it all falls apart under scrutity.

Weeell, if you're going to start scrutinising films...

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 11:16:52 AM   
Timon

quote:

Also, they make out that getting to the centre of the galaxy is an impossible feat.......they seem to have no problem doing it. The Klingons even do it pretty easily.

Moan moan winge moan....

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 27
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 11:19:51 AM   
Wedge

quote:

quote:

Also, they make out that getting to the centre of the galaxy is an impossible feat.......they seem to have no problem doing it. The Klingons even do it pretty easily.

Moan moan winge moan....

'It's just a film' 

Bloody hate it when people say that

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 11:26:50 AM   
Timon

Yeah, normally they're passionless Daily Mail readers.....

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 29
RE: The best STAR TREK movie ??? - 9/3/2007 11:31:06 AM   
Wedge

Scum of the earth.  The sort of person who believes that sci-fi or fantasy movies can be riddled with impausable ideas and plot points because of their very nature. 

Movie critic: 'A man with super strength could not hold a 747 by it's nose, it would break off!'

Daily Mail reader: 'It's just a movie.  Besides, it's about a man who can fly...'

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The best STAR TREK movie ??? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI