Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Pants Pants Pants

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pants Pants Pants Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pants Pants Pants - 12/3/2007 9:41:35 AM   
Andy9063

I had high hopes of this film, but its utter rubbish, its not Cage's head that should have burst into flames but whoever was behind this pile of poo, didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I think that it could have worked with a far stonger storyline and baddies that didn't fall over at the slightest sight of the 'rider' but never mind, no doubt there will be ghost rider begins or returns or last stand.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Pants Pants Pants - 12/3/2007 12:06:52 PM   
Wedge

Rubbish.  Cage's performance is the only thing which makes it watchable.  See television interview and helicopter stunt.

It's flaws are too numerous to mention but at the top of the list has to be it's unimaginative and lacklust baddies.  Were the antagonists pulled straight from the book of 'Bad Hollywood CGI Demon Villians'?  How about being subtle and original?  Ok, we know they're demons, no need to flash up their awful (in a bad way) CGI demon faces every five minutes. 

I would continue to list Ghostriders other failings but I've already wasted nearly two hours of my life on this film.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Andy9063)
Post #: 62
Sympathy For The Devil - 12/3/2007 1:27:35 PM   
LeedsCeltic78

What on earth is the matter with you people? I was very disappointed to see so many negative reviews. I loved this film from start to finsish, and would thoroughly recommend it. It's pure entertainment - it's not supposed to be plausible or realistic - it's pure comic book fantasy. Of course, that is exactly what it should be.

Motorcycle stunts, loud rock n roll, the devil and a busty love interest. Call me shallow, but it doesn't get much better than that!

To the previous reviewers, I would suggest they should resist the urge to visit the cinema in future, and sit at home watching 'Ladies Of Lavender' with a nice cup of Earl Grey.

Post #: 63
- 12/3/2007 8:56:27 PM   
Naweed_1

As Marvel adaptations go it wasn't as good as the Spider-Man or X-Men films, hell it wasn't even as good as Daredevil: Directors Cut, but it was far superior to the likes of Elecktra, Man-Thing, Fantastic Four, and Blade: Trinity.
Cage and Fonda were fine but the film was let down by Wes Bently and Eva Mendes. 3/5

Post #: 64
RE: - 13/3/2007 11:34:12 AM   
jimbojofre

This is one of the worst films i've have ever seen!

Here is my sum up of the film -
It wasn't exciting, funny or scary. It had rubbish actors who in turn, acted rubbish. The story was so full of plot holes it was laugable. The soundtrack was murder. The editing was amaturish. The CG was so poor (Appart from 2 or 3 scenes) i though it was actually made in the 90s. Now the good bits - I sat through a 100 minute film which actually felt like it was only on for 60 mins. At that, i still felt like i was cheated!

Overal Summary - At one point during the film, I wondered to myself what would happen if I asked for my money back on the grounds of the film being shit!

I believe in, that what doesn't kill you simply makes you ..... stranger!

(in reply to Naweed_1)
Post #: 65
RE: Ghost Rider - 13/3/2007 8:48:42 PM   
Brodie_Bruce

I was really looking forward to seeing this. I remember reading some of the Ghost Rider comics when I was younger and really enjoying them. I am sorry to say that it was not worth the wait. Both Cage and Mendez put in solid performances. The CGI is really good for the most part, as always with this kind of film it was over done in places. Unfortunately the script and the dialogue really let this movie down

You dumb bastard, it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat

Brodie: Ladies and gentlemen, this tall drink of water headed my way is a pillar of the shopping community who informed me earlier today of a nefarious plan of his to screw my girlfriend in an extremely uncomfortable place.
Gil Hicks: What... like the back of a Volkswagen?

The food here is so good it'll make your bollox tingle

http://www.myspace.com/mark_olding

Post #: 66
- 14/3/2007 12:00:23 PM   
quizkid

ghost rider is one of those films that unfolds exactly as it says on the tin you know what to expect from the trailerits mindless rubbish but does not pretend to be anything else so ssit back and let it wash over you. nicholas cage brings his usual quirky sensibility to the role relaxing to carpenters and jellybean before a big stunt the jump over helicopters is well cool. people complaing about over acting by wes bentley for instance are missing the point performances have tobe LARGE in this sort of films pedal to the floor action scenes with hell rider are quite impressive did i mention the luscious eva mendesher blouse undone abit more than fiona bruce would get away with the growly sam elliot and the urbane peter fonda add up to a very stylish package which entertain while its on the screen but i probably will not remember much of it next week3 stars

Post #: 67
RE: - 17/3/2007 1:13:58 AM   
Oddboy

As a Ghost Rider virgin I thought it did a good job of introducing the character, his back story and his powers. However, it did a piss poor job of introducing any interesting villans, sense of action or plot!
Why bother with a bunch of otherworldly henchmen (Earth, wind and water powered!) if the only role they have to play is to die, almost immediately, as GR touches them?
Without any real challenges, or memorable action sequences, this a classic example of style over substance.

I really like his bike though!

(in reply to quizkid)
Post #: 68
Very entertaining - 18/3/2007 5:56:08 PM   
justified by grace

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeedsCeltic78

What on earth is the matter with you people? I was very disappointed to see so many negative reviews. I loved this film from start to finsish, and would thoroughly recommend it. It's pure entertainment - it's not supposed to be plausible or realistic - it's pure comic book fantasy. Of course, that is exactly what it should be.

I agree.  As you'd expect from a film about a guy with a flaming skull who rides a motorbike, it's bombastic, scary, and fun.  The action sequences are impressive, the CGI is incredible and the music is excellent.  Admittedly, the villains are defeated quite easily, but this is a minor quibble.

Megamind ****
The King’s Speech ****˝
Despicable Me ****˝
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole ***˝
A Serious Man ****
Lars and the Real Girl ***˝
Lourdes **
The Return ***˝
Doubt ***˝
Star Trek: Nemesis ****

(in reply to LeedsCeltic78)
Post #: 69
RE: Very entertaining - 18/3/2007 11:13:21 PM   
foxandwesker

quote:

ORIGINAL: justified by grace

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeedsCeltic78

I agree.  As you'd expect from a film about a guy with a flaming skull who rides a motorbike, it's bombastic, scary, and fun.  The action sequences are impressive, the CGI is incredible and the music is excellent.  Admittedly, the villains are defeated quite easily, but this is a minor quibble.

are you guys being sarcastic or ironic?

when i go to a film thats say's " hey im a big silly action fantasy movie with plenty of stunts and set pices and action" then thats what i want to see, my question is " where the hell was it?!!!" it was boring and lame from start to finish and i really want my money back.

+ just watched tmnt which is a pg, and that had more action and violence in one scene that the entire running time of ghost rider, go figure!

(in reply to justified by grace)
Post #: 70
RE: Ghost Rider - 19/3/2007 4:21:54 PM   
ivaninkling

Did anyone notice the repetitive references to Elvis in this movie. I am aware that Nicholas Cage is a notorious "ELVOPHILE". He owns one of the worlds largest collections of the King's memorabilia including at one stage his daughter(who by the way was allegedly responsible for Nic pawning his other prized possesion-his comic books). But since when does the Ghost Rider do the Elvis point aswell as the Penance Stare?
Perhaps the Presley estate would be wise to send a cease and desist letter to their estranged son in law.
Ghost Rider has become another in an ever increasing line of Marvel dissapointments and no matter how lucrative the distribution deals are I think Avi Arad and Stan Lee would be well advised to have greater involvement in the big screen versions of their Brands.
Origin stories are a tough one to handle in any case and the premise of a skeleton on a motorbike although no more far fetched than a teenager bitten by a radioactive spider its just a lot shitter.
The thing that annoyed me most about Ghost Rider was the use of what has now become the industry standard of CGI ghost made up of dust particles. This technique was used in Marvel creation Blade ten years ago and there is no reason why a device which makes limitless leaps of the imagination a reality should be so stagnant. maybe Marvel have some inside scoop on what ghosts actually look like but Im not convinced.
In an era of supercross and X-games and all variety of extreme sports the daredevil exploits of Johnny Blaze were at best lame. Practically all stunts are blue screen effects which just does not cut the mustard. Even an aging Jackie Chan still runs down the side of buildings.

Post #: 71
RE: Ghost Rider - 19/3/2007 4:54:49 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ivaninkling

Ghost Rider has become another in an ever increasing line of Marvel dissapointments and no matter how lucrative the distribution deals are I think Avi Arad and Stan Lee would be well advised to have greater involvement in the big screen versions of their Brands.

Just a quick aside, Stan Lee didn't actually create Ghost Rider.  He was created by writers Roy Thomas & Gary Friedrich, and artist Mike Ploog.

(in reply to ivaninkling)
Post #: 72
RE: GHOST RIDER - 22/3/2007 8:35:02 PM   
Paul2j

Ghost Rider wasn't exactly amazing, but it's nowhere near as bad as many on here are making it - it was alright. I wasn't a massive fan of the Ghost Rider in flame-mode either, but it was decent enough. The villians weren't too bad (other than the ludicrous water guy fight - you can't burn, oh yeah you can) and I may be alone but I thought the devils' son was actually fairly decent. It was pretty clunky and disjointed - but in that sense was very much like a comic.  Maybe I'm giving them too much credit in presuming that's what was intended - but whoknows. It was fun enough in my opinion.

6/10

I also agree with those saying the Daredevil is under-rated - it really, really is; hugely so. I loved it.

< Message edited by Paul2j -- 22/3/2007 8:37:05 PM >
Post #: 73
RE: GHOST RIDER - 22/3/2007 11:50:22 PM   
ifu03440

This has to be the worst film i have seen so far this year. The dialogue was awful, the special effects felt forced and were horrible, the plot was weak, poorly structured, terribly paced and the whole movie was cliche after cliche. Absolutely no originality whatsoever.

I feel for Nic Cage - he has done some excellent work in the past but recently his choice of roles have been very poor!

www.moviesuk.blogspot.com - check it out

(in reply to Paul2j)
Post #: 74
Spawn......no wait, GHOST RIDER! - 25/3/2007 3:36:14 AM   
Mash the Stampede

The thing about comic book movie adaptions is generally that if it isn't a universally famous hero (Spidey, Bats, or Supes) , the odds of anyone enjoying the film who aren't into comics is rather slim.
The reaction of thoughs un-enlightened individuals is naturally along the lines of the film being "un-believable" or "un-realistic"....NO SHIT, PEOPLE! It's a COMIC BOOK film!!!!
Fortunetly I have been a comic fan since I was 8 years old and still raed them and watch cartoons too!
So when I heard 'GHOST RIDER' was being adapted to film (back in 2004! What took so long?) I was pretty excited seeing as it was a less mainstream comic with darker and more adult undertones.
So anyway, finally March 22 the film gets released in New Zealand so I attended of course, with lowered expectations I might add due to the fact it was the 'Dare Devil' director and I had just read 'EMPIRE's bad 2 star revue of the film.
Fortunetly I was pleasantly surprised. The film was better than I tought.
'Cage" was perfect in the role of stunt biker, 'Johnny Blaze' (aka. Ghosty) with an excellent blend of humour and psychotic behaviour kind of like the Cage of old.
Most of the special effect were great (a bit more detail would have payed off in the close-ups of the flaming skull) and the storyline was satisfactory enough to keep the film going with out getting the viewer confused or bored.
There were two things I felt that let the film down; firstly the actors who played the young versions of 'Blaze' and 'Roxanne' (love interest) were terrible and unconvincing in their roles. The scene where they were talking about running away together by a tree in a wide open field was very 'Dawson's Creek'!
Secondly, the fight sequences in the movie were a major dissapointment! Un-imaginative, un-impressive and very short! Very anti-climactic.
However, overall the film was enjoyable. Sure it's no 'Spidey' but hey, it's better than 'DareDevil'!!! 

< Message edited by Mash the Stampede -- 25/3/2007 3:42:03 AM >

Post #: 75
Ghost Rider - 27/3/2007 11:03:57 PM   
MBBarlow

For all the comic-book adaptations there have been, only The Fantastic Four has had a true comic feel to it. Ghost Rider feels like a proper comic movie, complete with cartoony evil-doers and corny dialogue that just works.
Johnny Blaze seals his soul to the devil to save his father from cancer, only for the devil to kill him in a supposedly freak accident. Johnny takes over his father’s stunt-riding legacy until the day the devil returns to cash in on his deal and make Johnny into his own personal bounty-hunter.
One thing that puts Ghost Rider above other heroes is his coolness; this is a character written to be cool: a skeleton dressed in leather with flames spouting from his skull is very cool. The only problem is that the human behind him is Nicholas Cage. Although a great actor, he is too old and doesn’t have the right swagger or look to pull off stunt rider Johnny Blaze. Another actor like the Fantastic’s Chris Evans would have been far more suited. Even with Cage’s increased physique he’s still not cool.
It could have done without the love interest storyline but it is a comic book movie and you need the sickly romance to complete a clichéd, seen-it-all-before movie. But like most movies of that calibre, it is great fun to watch and has some wonderful CGI-laden driving scenes with what is possibly the coolest bike in all of movie history and that’s what makes this worth seeing.

Post #: 76
Good B Grade Fun - 28/3/2007 12:07:30 AM   
spideyfan666

I like MSJ I do (bring on the backlash) I thought Daredevil was criminally underated well the DC cut anyway. Ghostrider is a guilty pleasure lets face when you go and see a movie like this you put all the crap things about this movie to one side. you go and see this movie for the RIDER and he doesnt dissapoint niether does his faithful steed, dude thats one tricked out chopper. The action is entertaining the CG stunning just switch your brain off and laugh at Cage's potrayal of Johnny Blaze. In the comic book he's similar to Constatine a hard drinking, chain smoking badass but in the movie adaption he's a jelly bean eating freak whos listens to the carpenters. Cages pulls this off to a t. Yeah the dialogues a lil syrupy at times and the villains are cartoonish but this movie very similar in spirit to the Fantastic Four movie is just fun recommended viewing.

Post #: 77
Cage is awesome, but the rest… hmmm… - 30/3/2007 1:54:13 PM   
britesparc

Unlike, say, Superman or Batman, I’ve never read a Ghost Rider comic, and therefore wasn’t entirely certain what to expect. I imagined the movie to be a sort of cross between Hellboy and Blade – slightly camp, gothic, rock & roll action. To a certain extent, that’s the case, but it does fall short of both of these films. Nicolas Cage deserves a great deal of praise, both for suggesting the dark emotions beneath the wonderfully-monikered Johnny Blaze, and for going batshit fucking loco as the Ghost Rider himself. He owns the movie, as well he should, and he’s unquestionably the best thing in it, especially when Ghost Rider goes postal. And we should praise the character of Ghost Rider, too: the effects required to bring him to life (afterlife? I dunno) must have been immense, but whatever he cost, he was worth it. It really is a phenomenal visual effect, to see him swathed in flame, and it really works: never does he feel wonky or superimposed. And there are some truly goofy, groovy stunts too, particularly a chase scene that climaxes in Ghost Rider lassoing a helicopter with his chains. But, despite some efficient action direction from Johnson, that’s where the good points end. Eva Mendes is limp and unconvincing as love interest Roxanne, and the less said about the bad guys the better. Peter Fonda as the devil is cool if underused, but the rest plainly suck – and their ridiculous, cloying backstory drags the film down every time any member of cast opens their mouth to discuss it. The film takes far too long to get into gear, and whenever Cage isn’t going crazy, it feels silly, boring, and badly structured. Coupled with a limp climax and some stupid leaps of logic that require a great deal of audience forgiveness, the film sadly scuppers what would otherwise have been a groovy guilty pleasure. Despite a winning use of “Ghost Riders in the Sky” during a chase through the desert, Ghost Rider unfortunately misses the mark.

Post #: 78
kick-ass cheesy action - 2/4/2007 2:09:53 PM   
mpilotti

unashamedly cheesy and knows it, that's what was good about it

Post #: 79
RE: Ghost Rider - 13/4/2007 12:14:41 PM   
SwagBag

I liked this film, it suffered from not digging into the darkness of the comic a little but again, it needed to reach a wider audience that the comic did.

The let down here were the villains, Mephisto had to be there because he's part of the Rider's orgin, but Blackheart was a poor choice, i'd have gone with Scarecrow or brought the Zarathos storyline into it. Blackheart was too out of place, he's a Demon and should look like one (like he does in the comic).

But, this was two hours of entertainment, no deep storylines, no studying of character development required, just a big, dumb, fun movie.

"Are you out of your mind?!?!?!"

"No, I'm out of bullets"
Post #: 80
RE: Pants Pants Pants - 13/4/2007 3:35:54 PM   
curtain twitcher

Awful film. I did not like it at all. The grahics were naff and so was the plot and script. The acting wasn't really up to much either. Basically, the only good thing about the movie was Eva Mendes. The plot was so overelaborate and conveluted. I couldn't wait for it to end. I know a good Marvel movie when i see one and this certainly was not one of them.

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 13/4/2007 3:37:21 PM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to Andy9063)
Post #: 81
RE: Pants Pants Pants - 13/4/2007 7:52:27 PM   
Babsgordonsboytoy

Like many of my fellow film-goers I have to concur that Ghost Rider had very little going for it.

Let's see, there was Eva Mendes' Breasts.. er.. and that's it.

Somebody please make sure Mark Steven Johnson is never EVER allowed to direct anything ever again.

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 82
RE: Pants Pants Pants - 13/4/2007 8:16:42 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Babsgordonsboytoy

Somebody please make sure Mark Steven Johnson is never EVER allowed to direct anything ever again.

I'm going to say what sl500 usually say's and that is: amen to that!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to Babsgordonsboytoy)
Post #: 83
RE: Pants Pants Pants - 22/4/2007 6:31:40 PM   
darth silas

the film is worth watching for the ghost rider scenes.this character just looks so cool.other than that,its disappointing.wes bentley was as camp as christmas as the villain.

eva mendes is so hot though its ridiculous that blaze would stand her up.i dont care how posessed with demons i was,i certainly wouldnt keep ms mendes waiting if she had agreed to have dinner with me!

and when she asked that guy at the restauraunt ''do you think im pretty?'' and the guy unbelievably just shrugs her off....was he gay or something?!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 84
Missed oppurtunity - 4/6/2007 10:33:16 PM   
starkiller

This film is a prime example of an oppurtunity missed. For starters, as good as he is, Nic Cage seems to be too old to play the character of Johnny Blaze. And it's a pity that, while most enjoyable films nowadays are let down by shoddy FX, it is the exact reverse for Ghost Rider - spectacular CGI (flaming skull and bike looks awesome) featuring in a very confusing, badly scripted, badly edited, and badly shot film.

Post #: 85
- 1/7/2007 4:22:15 PM   
Eomer_King

In spite of the much hyped visual effects and the assurances from all involved that the long delayed release had nothing to do with the film's quality it would appear that this really wasn't worth the wait.

A sloppy narrative is not helped by some of the hammiest acting you'll see this side of Star Wars and with Nicolas Cage looking as confused and as pissed off as the audience, the novelty of the admittedly impressive effects soon wears off. Johnson's labour of love this may have been but, like Daredevil, this should, and could, have been so much better. Utterly forgettable.

Post #: 86
Hmm - 3/7/2007 10:06:57 PM   
Caster

Enjoyable but rather silly. And using the 'it's just a comic book movie anyway' argument doesn't cut it. Look at Batman Begins or Sin City. Wes Bentley is so badly miscast you wonder why the hell nobody told Johnson about it, and sub-plots are introduced and then fade out (what was with Sam Elliot just riding off? And the cops are completely forgotten come the climax with some embarressing acting from Bentley). But the CGI is mostly great and it's fun in its way. But a disappointment due to bad writing and pacing. Some of the worst editing I can remember seeing in a big movie.

Post #: 87
Empire. 3 stars...really? - 19/7/2007 10:17:24 AM   
discodave101

Come on Empire, surely this is the perfect example of a review that you need to downgrade. There's no way in a million years this is worthy of 3 stars! I'm struggling to give it 2! Was a shocking waste of a good idea.

Post #: 88
- 3/8/2007 5:07:02 PM   
Marty5

Watched this recently on dvd and i have to say it was rather shit. The special effects were about the best thing in it and cage obviously really enjoyed playing ghost rider but that was it.
The story was bad, the acting was bad and the guy who played blackheart was just terrible.
After watching this film i thought it is one of the marvel comics (like daredevil) that did not really need to be made. Lets be honest they're not the best of characters in the comics so making films for them is a bit pointless. It actually annoys me that these movies are getting made and yet no one will make a good Flash movie.

Post #: 89
Not the best Marvel effort.... - 25/8/2007 12:16:06 PM   
wildchild

I thought that watching the dvd version ( the one wit extra tedium) this really didn't hit the the spot.
I love Nick Cage but his performance was really phoned in.
Eva Menedes was totally wasted and as for Wes Bently .... was it me or was he really playing the Count from Seasame Street in this ?
Pass on a sequel methinks

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pants Pants Pants Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI