Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ghost Rider rides to top of Box Office but not to Greatness!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ghost Rider rides to top of Box Office but not to Greatness! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ghost Rider rides to top of Box Office but not to Great... - 4/3/2007 10:35:44 PM   
DrachirFilm

OK the Ghost Rider has arrived I have seen it and to be honest it is between the OK and Good citeria. The film is undoubtedly great in terms of Special Effects and some parts of the film are quite funny and very cool. The Ghost Rider himself is incredibly cool and his flaming motorcycle is probably the only OK CGI rather then Great CGI. At times it is predictable and camp, such as the ending and other times it is witty, cool and well acted. Nicholas Cage is fantastic as Blaze and the Rider and Eva Mendies is also very impressive. Unfortunately Sam Elliot servesas a pratically useless part of the film and does add much depth to the film. Equally poor is the performance of all villains who have bad dialogue and, although they do possess some excellent CGI, are poorly structured in their respective encounters with the Rider. However despite this, Ghost Rider comes in as a OK comic book flick and certainly not as one of the worst. Enjoyable but inconsistant.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: RE: I feel sick just thinking about this now!! - 5/3/2007 10:12:27 AM   
Celluloid Seduction

quote:

ORIGINAL: mister_k

There was no fight that lasted longer than a few seconds.When a film doesn't have action or plot to reccomend it.... theres not much left apart from the occassional laugh, either deliberately or by accident ("We are called legion, for we are many!")

CRINGE!!!!!! 

"...guys, what if the film isn't any good?"

http://www.CelluloidSeduction.blogspot.com

(in reply to mister_k)
Post #: 32
Surpised - 5/3/2007 12:04:45 PM   
Hartigan

I was pleasantly surprised...I was expecting Ghost Rider to be so bad that it would just be unwatchable but I actually found it very enjoyable.

Sure it's not taking the story and characters seriously like the Spider-Man and Superman films (I,II and Returns anyway) but it was fun, and fun in the sense of being enjoyable and having a good time. The music was very good (loved spiderbait's cover of Ghost Riders in the Sky) and Nicolas Cage played the part very well (I never thought he could play a superhero before).

The love interest storyline is what I was surprised about, I was surprised because I actually liked it. Its good for once to have a love interest where she isn't like Mary Jane, complanining about him running off or not showing up for dinner and stuff...for once just a nice (and hot) girl who understands his problems and why he left her standing on a hill top in the rain (some may call it lazy writing, I found it fresh...had enough of Mary Jane/Lois Lane type characters).

I would of liked the fight scenes to have been longer and the film could of been darker (if only the studio didn't want a toned down version...Goyer's darker script may have been better) but for what it is, a big dumb action comic book film..I liked it a lot more than most and I'm hoping for a sequel...if it can contain as much fantastic imagery as this one did (two ghost riders riding through the desert...if only sam elliot joined in on the fight as well).

< Message edited by Hartigan -- 5/3/2007 12:05:27 PM >

An old man dies, a little girl lives. Fair trade

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to Celluloid Seduction)
Post #: 33
RE: Surpised - 5/3/2007 12:21:08 PM   
Marvel_79

I'm a big fan of the comic book movie, but this doesn't even come close to being a good film. I've probably more forgiving than many when it comes to comic book films, I like Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hellboy, Bulletproof Monk and even enjoyed Blade Trinity and Batman Forever, but this is truely appauling stuff, worse than Van Helsing! and that's saying something!

How tragic it is to see the star of such action classics as Face/Off, Con Air and The Rock in this 1 star rubbish, I mean Nic Cage may not be the greatest but it generally entertains when given an action movie - Not this time!

If I look for one moment in this film to redeem it though, it is possible to find one - When Johny Blaze sits watching the Karate kicking Monkey on TV, that was funny, absolutely nothing to do with the film but funny!

When this film finally finished (and despite only being about 90 min long it feels like 190!!!) I turned to my friend he turned to me and we both just burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole thing... Particularly the fact that they've left it wide open for the sequel, which is bound to happen because judging by the size of the audience this will make money! I feel shame for my part it getting the sequel made!

(in reply to Hartigan)
Post #: 34
RE: Surpised - 5/3/2007 12:28:26 PM   
Workshed

My, my, my, what a missed opportunity. The action was alright, the CGI on GR was good, the script was shit and Nick Cage was unbarably wooden. MSJ really fucked up on this one, Dare Devil was better than this tosh and to top it off, he's supposedly a huge fan of the comics as well as Nick Cage.

Did anyone notice how Johnny Blaze had a cut after getting stabbed by the mugger (while he was GR) and then he got shot to shit by the LAPD and was fine afterwards. Also, GR's hellfire can only burn things with evil hearts, so how could he burn that poor little lizard to a crisp. They must have deleted his side story where he goes around maliciously biting people for fun.

2 stars. Very disappointing and a missed opportunity and poorly executed. Saved barely by some nice ideas.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to Marvel_79)
Post #: 35
Average - 5/3/2007 2:20:23 PM   
Gold Digger

As average as Daredevil and The Fantastic Four. Watchable but nothing much else to get excited about.

Post #: 36
Average - 5/3/2007 2:20:34 PM   
Gold Digger

As average as Daredevil and The Fantastic Four. Watchable but nothing much else to get excited about.

Post #: 37
RE: RE: - 5/3/2007 3:06:31 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

yes this movie is completely awful. Not even fun in a cheesy action movie way (a la torque). Someone mentioned it was as bad as LXG but i think that movie is ten times the movie ghost rider is. Sucky all the way.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to mister_k)
Post #: 38
RE: Ghost Rider rides to top of Box Office but not to G... - 5/3/2007 4:03:29 PM   
muse_nut18

Well I watched this movie last night, ive really been looking forward to it.
It was a good movie, I really enjoyed it and thought some of the scenes were sooo damn cool, for example, the helicopter scene...great stuff.

The acting was ok and loved the soundtrack.

3 stars for me

(in reply to DrachirFilm)
Post #: 39
RE: Ghost Rider rides to top of Box Office but not to G... - 5/3/2007 4:12:34 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Although I was expecting quite a deal more from Ghost Rider, chiefly due to the long-delayed release and general hype, I was a little disappointed, yet at the same time thrilled. Nobody but Nicholas Cage could've played this part and although there are some notable cheesy moments - especially with the disastrous choice of Eva Mendes in the female lead role - Ghost Rider still retained the childhood glee of a comic-book movie.

It included some gritty freaky moments, even though those moments consisted of dodgy CGI sub-characters and the darkness was probably an effort to cover it up. The action, however... well, it was brilliant. High expectations aside, the corny dominance of the Ghost Rider was exciting to watch and the general motorbike scenes were good. Overall, I enjoyed it for what it was and I've given it a 3 star rating.

< Message edited by Jessica_ca_ca_ca -- 5/3/2007 4:13:03 PM >

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to muse_nut18)
Post #: 40
RE: Ghost Rider - 5/3/2007 5:15:39 PM   
kinge247

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

I went to see Ghost Rider hoping to see a good translation of the classic marvel comic book, sadly I was incredibly dissapointed by the movie. Loud,stupid,corny,trashy & ultimately ridiculous.

And the comic isn't? Its a story about a man whose head sets on fire and then rides around on a flaming goat skulled motor bike that can go up walls and on water without flotation devices. It was quite cool and a welcome treat away from all the recent serious but dreary oscar fair (Pans Labyrinth aside, long live Guilermo Del Toro).

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 41
RE: Ghost Rider - 5/3/2007 7:45:36 PM   
evil bill

Went to see GHOST RIDER Yesterday with my kids,and we all enjoyed it,as most have been saying.it wo'nt win any awards.But for a fun day out at the movies,you could do a lot worse than this piece of comic fun.As for story line,i,ve read a number of the Ghost Rider comics and it's pretty fathful to the story.Nic Cage is in his element,as these are the sort of roles he's good at,with his rolling eyes and werid humour.My two actully jumped when he changed into the Rider,and during a couple other scenes,so very yong children avoid.3/5-4/5,as i just have to see this again,good popcorn fun movie.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to kinge247)
Post #: 42
RE: Surpised - 5/3/2007 8:29:36 PM   
24Dan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Workshed

My, my, my, what a missed opportunity. The action was alright, the CGI on GR was good, the script was shit and Nick Cage was unbarably wooden. MSJ really fucked up on this one, Dare Devil was better than this tosh and to top it off, he's supposedly a huge fan of the comics as well as Nick Cage.

Did anyone notice how Johnny Blaze had a cut after getting stabbed by the mugger (while he was GR) and then he got shot to shit by the LAPD and was fine afterwards. Also, GR's hellfire can only burn things with evil hearts, so how could he burn that poor little lizard to a crisp. They must have deleted his side story where he goes around maliciously biting people for fun.

2 stars. Very disappointing and a missed opportunity and poorly executed. Saved barely by some nice ideas.

Ha ha ha, yeah i noticed that, when the police where shooting him i was thinkin hows he gonna deal it that when hes normal,thats how boring the action was

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 43
Ghost rider - 5/3/2007 10:46:58 PM   
hellboyx

Not the biggest fan of the comics for ghost rider, but love the idea of the character and despite my expectations being lowered due to the hammering it took by the press i really did enjoy this movie! Lets be honest, you have to go into this kind of movie with a different kind of head on... your watching a dude change into a flaming skull on a motorbike, its not going to be a thought provoking or oscar winning fudder. But what it is, is a fun bit of escapism were you see all of those cool things you wanted to do as a kid - and nic cage delivered a performance which no-one else would have done. Loved the almost western feel near the end, growing up loving the dollars trilogy this at least paid a little homage to all things great about those movies. Forget what newspaper critics say, switch off and just enjoy the ride!

Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 5/3/2007 11:09:34 PM   
thedaywalker

I saw Ghost Rider today and it is worse comic book movie but to screen everything about it shit i mean SHIT !!!
Nic Cage thinks he's Elvis or something in this movie and plus the dialogue is horrible too plus the villian was
crap not even worth a wank he the guy from american beauty i think he should stick to video taping his plastic bags
Special Effects were a crap too the GHOST RIDER himself was really cheap looking plus the voice he had come on gimme a break. And where was the action scenes they all lasted about 1 minute each or less
DAREDEVIL WAS BETTER THAN THIS TRIPE !!!

0 outta 5

< Message edited by thedaywalker -- 5/3/2007 11:10:32 PM >

''Ok, you people ! Sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fire burning. And if we're not back by dawn.... call the president''

(in reply to mister_k)
Post #: 45
RE: Ghost Rider - 5/3/2007 11:17:11 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: kinge247

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

I went to see Ghost Rider hoping to see a good translation of the classic marvel comic book, sadly I was incredibly dissapointed by the movie. Loud,stupid,corny,trashy & ultimately ridiculous.

And the comic isn't? Its a story about a man whose head sets on fire and then rides around on a flaming goat skulled motor bike that can go up walls and on water without flotation devices. It was quite cool and a welcome treat away from all the recent serious but dreary oscar fair (Pans Labyrinth aside, long live Guilermo Del Toro).

No, the comic book is also quite stupid and trashy, but it's entertaining. The movie isn't.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to kinge247)
Post #: 46
RE: RE: - 6/3/2007 11:23:32 AM   
barnaby jones

Enjoyed this one alot. Big, silly, fun. Recommended.

< Message edited by barnaby jones -- 6/3/2007 11:25:38 AM >

(in reply to mister_k)
Post #: 47
Pray there's no sequel - 6/3/2007 9:40:27 PM   
Fox B Forsyth

There's something pitiful about going to the movies, parting with hard won cash and being disappointed even when your initial expectations are low.
The dialogue grates like a learner trying to find a gear and the love interest, Eva Mendes, really, really needs to get some acting lessons.
My advice...go and buy some seeds, plant them and watch them grow - it will be more entertaining and will nourish your soul infinitely more than this excuse for a movie.

Post #: 48
RE: Pray there's no sequel - 7/3/2007 11:09:27 AM   
kingoftheducks

Ghost Rider (dir. Mark Steven Johnson)

Nicolas Cage was, at one point, in line to play Superman in a version directed by Tim Burton, as a huge comic book fan it has been a long wait for Cage to finally play an iconic hero and he's chosen one of his favourite creations as his first foray into the superhero genre; he had to have his own tatoo of the Ghost Rider covered by make-up during shooting. This isn't writer/director (I use those terms loosely) Mark Steven Johnson's first foray into the world of superheroes, having also brought us Ben Affleck as 'Daredevil' in a film that is oddly being reappreciated by the geek community as some sort of lost classic when - in fact - it's below average twaddle that feels more like an extended version of that terrible Evanesence video where they're hanging out of a window, in fact, wasn't that the film's theme song? I don't know, but they're both shit. Anyway, I don't know what the theme song for Ghost Rider is, but going by the frankly terrible score to this frankly godawful movie it's going to be some kind of awful nu-soft-rock rubbish.

Not since 'The Mummy Returns' or 'Van Helsing' have I felt so hollow coming out of the cinema, this film was not even unintentionally entertaining. The opening introduction to the 'legend' of Ghost Rider was one of the most fumbled and dull movie intros of recent memory, it was followed by an origin story that lacked any kind of drama or emotional involvement whatsoever, then we finally get to Nicolas Cage and his performance is the sole saving grace of the movie and it's also awful, but not as awful as everything else in the film. Cage has added a few of his own crazy quirks to the character (drinking jelly beans out of wine glasses and watching karate monkeys on TV) but these seem tacked on to try and get a cheap laugh, or make the little 'uns go "Ooo, look mummy, karate monkeys!". Eventually after some stuff happens a baddie shows up, he is called Blackheart and is played by Wes Bentley; who was excellent in American Beauty, though after watching this I'm convinced it couldn't possibly have been him in that film. What makes Blackheart even less threatening than just being awfully acted is his dull costume, his boring make-up, the terrible effects applied to him (and any other demon characters, which are effects straight out of the 'Van Helsing' folder), the rubbish dialogue, the groan-inducing 'evil' music cues, the amateurish use of editing in order to ellict a cheap jump-out-of-your-seat and the sheer unthreatening nature of him, his evil plan and his evil minions. Blackheart has free evil friends who represent elements, Earth, Wind and Water, and they're rubbish, like sub-bosses in a computer game that would only be challenging to somebody who didn't have any limbs. Literally when Ghost Rider fights them they basically hurt him once, then laugh about how they could never be beaten before being beaten seconds later often just by the fact that Nicolas Cage turns into Ghost Rider...

Which brings me to Ghost Rider himself, the effect is fine, it'll do, but it's nothing special, what is worse is the sheer ham-fisted nature of the transformation sequences, the pacing of them, the timing of them in the film, the way they are executed, everything about them is just appalling... Mark Steven Johnson says that 'An American Werewolf in London' was a big influence on this film, well I think John Landis should sue him for slander, because the wit, style, tension, horror and fun of that film are all missing from this absolutely CGI travesty of cinema, it really is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life, strictly because it's not even unintentionally entertaining, and you can't even laugh at it... well, I laughed at it once, but that was right at the end and it was too late then.

What's even worse is that this film has done really, really well at the box office and will most probably spawn a sequel... I just hope that they hand the writing and directing to somebody else, because there is a great, fun film buried somewhere underneath all the shit that's up on screen, and I mean really buried, there aren't any notions that if Mark Steven Johnson had made a couple of different choices then the film would be great, no, I mean if Mark Steven Johnson had never even considered film-making as a career option, then, maybe this film would start being average... What am I saying? I've lost my point? Okay, summary, this film is awful, do not watch it.

1/5 (Because I refuse to give any film a 0, they get 1 point just for making it, though I think I'm being way too generous there...)

P.S. I am baffled as to how Empire gave this 3 stars?  What do the other staffers think of it?

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to Fox B Forsyth)
Post #: 49
RE: Pray there's no sequel - 8/3/2007 1:12:37 PM   
simonmckergan1

Very average I thought.  6 out of 10.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to kingoftheducks)
Post #: 50
RE: Pray there's no sequel - 8/3/2007 1:34:47 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Considering that this is directed by Mark Steven Johnson, the man responsible for the abysmal Daredevil I'll give it a miss. 

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 51
RE: RE: - 8/3/2007 2:37:51 PM   
menace2society

Looks dumb but my flatmate has just downloaded this will check it out.

(in reply to mister_k)
Post #: 52
RE: Average - 9/3/2007 9:53:48 AM   
Celluloid Seduction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gold Digger

Fantastic Four is NOT average, as I said previously, it is a work of art ...because Ghost Rider is so Godamawful!!

"...guys, what if the film isn't any good?"

http://www.CelluloidSeduction.blogspot.com

(in reply to Gold Digger)
Post #: 53
RE: Average - 9/3/2007 5:11:21 PM   
King_Wah

Quite the silliest film I think I have ever seen. Worth it for two things.
  1. Eva Mendes arse
  2. The rest of Eva Mendes which comes in a close second to said arse.

I actually enjoyed it mainly because I was with one of my clients who is currently psychotic and it is the first time I have sen him happy for a few weeks.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Celluloid Seduction)
Post #: 54
RE: Average - 9/3/2007 9:26:09 PM   
Gothzilla

quote:

Also, GR's hellfire can only burn things with evil hearts, so how could he burn that poor little lizard to a crisp.

He was a very bad and naughty lizard.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 55
RE: Average - 9/3/2007 9:49:32 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

Quite the silliest film I think I have ever seen. Worth it for two things.
  1. Eva Mendes arse
  2. The rest of Eva Mendes which comes in a close second to said arse.

I actually enjoyed it mainly because I was with one of my clients who is currently psychotic and it is the first time I have sen him happy for a few weeks.

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh   nice post dude, made me laff.....what sorta Clients are you takin to the movies?

I aint seen it, dont intend to and from all postings and clips and crits i just cant be arsed, Cage looks like he had major fucking face surgery in the clips which just puts me WAAAYYYYYYYYyoff.

Mendes ass or not!

Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana: That's what scares me.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 56
RE: Ghost Rider - 10/3/2007 6:56:03 PM   
Timon

I hate saying a film is ‘shit’ or ‘crap’, it just seems unfair considering all the hard work put into it but with Ghost Rider…….it wasn’t good.

My Film Reviews of lately have been sparse as I either really like a film and that’s that or it’s just been average and I haven’t cared enough to write a review but in this case, I feel obligated to write something.

Now firstly, I liked Mark Steven Johnson’s DAREDEVIL. I felt it was unfairly bashed and was a nice dark companion to the brightly-lit Spiderman. With Ghost Rider though, a character I was unfamiliar with, I thought he would learn from his critics and make a deeper character piece, something that wasn’t style over substance - not easy when your main character is a man with a flaming skull for a head.

I heard that David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Blade) wrote a darker script than the one that Johnson put forward and I’d love to have seen what that must have been like because this script is bad. Really bad.

When lines such as ‘We are ‘Legion’, for we are many’ and ‘Forgive me father for I have sinned. I have sinned a lot’ have you snorting in laugher and have you looking at your watch, the film is in trouble. In fact, those aren’t even the worse.

You would have thought that actors such as Wes Bentley and Nic Cage would have demanded script changes with the sort of pap they have to sprout. Now, I’m a Nic Cage fan, I think he’s a great actor but here he’s really phoning it in. Firstly he looks a tad on the old side and you never buy the fact that he finds this curse a burden. I mean if you did, would you jump 6 Black Hawks and release your own computer game? Same goes for Wes Bentley, what the hell was he thinking?! “I’m going to retire your rider Father, then I’m going to retire you!’ – For God’s sake.

Eva Mende’s cleavage does a fine job, it’s just unfortunate she is reduced to ‘girlfriend in trouble’. I was wondering if the film would go down this predicable route and of course it did.

With plot holes large enough to drive a motorcycle though, Johnson’s script is a mess. Lost souls, scrolls, hallowed ground – none of it makes sense. If Blackheart knows that ‘the Caretaker’ is ye olden Ghost Rider why doesn’t he go beat the scroll out of him? Oh wait, I know he’s on hallowed ground! So why are they later fighting in a church………………..?

The film’s been in post production for over a year so why they couldn’t improve the script with reshoots is beyond me. Granted the FX are very impressive, the flaming skull looks great and the hell-chopper morphs pretty well but it’s all ………….dull. The villainous sidekicks are all from the school of ‘seen it before’ with their floaty dust manuevers. All the fights are short and dull and to be honest….i just didn’t care and wanted the film to end.

Donal Logue (Mack) was the only guy who realised the whole thing was a joke in my opinion and by dying has insured he’s not around for the sequel which considering the money it’s made looks likely. 

1 ½ / 5 – A real disappointment. Up there with Blade: Trinity.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 57
RE: Ghost Rider - 10/3/2007 6:56:49 PM   
Timon

I hate saying a film is ‘shit’ or ‘crap’, it just seems unfair considering all the hard work put into it but with Ghost Rider…….it wasn’t good.

My Film Reviews of lately have been sparse as I either really like a film and that’s that or it’s just been average and I haven’t cared enough to write a review but in this case, I feel obligated to write something.

Now firstly, I liked Mark Steven Johnson’s DAREDEVIL. I felt it was unfairly bashed and was a nice dark companion to the brightly-lit Spiderman. With Ghost Rider though, a character I was unfamiliar with, I thought he would learn from his critics and make a deeper character piece, something that wasn’t style over substance - not easy when your main character is a man with a flaming skull for a head.

I heard that David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Blade) wrote a darker script than the one that Johnson put forward and I’d love to have seen what that must have been like because this script is bad. Really bad.

When lines such as ‘We are ‘Legion’, for we are many’ and ‘Forgive me father for I have sinned. I have sinned a lot’ have you snorting in laugher and have you looking at your watch, the film is in trouble. In fact, those aren’t even the worse.

You would have thought that actors such as Wes Bentley and Nic Cage would have demanded script changes with the sort of pap they have to sprout. Now, I’m a Nic Cage fan, I think he’s a great actor but here he’s really phoning it in. Firstly he looks a tad on the old side and you never buy the fact that he finds this curse a burden. I mean if you did, would you jump 6 Black Hawks and release your own computer game? Same goes for Wes Bentley, what the hell was he thinking?! “I’m going to retire your rider Father, then I’m going to retire you!’ – For God’s sake.

Eva Mende’s cleavage does a fine job; it’s just unfortunate she is reduced to ‘girlfriend in trouble’. I was wondering if the film would go down this predicable route and of course it did.

With plot holes large enough to drive a motorcycle though, Johnson’s script is a mess. Lost souls, scrolls, hallowed ground – none of it makes sense. If Blackheart knows that ‘the Caretaker’ is ye olden Ghost Rider why doesn’t he go beat the scroll out of him? Oh wait, I know he’s on hallowed ground! So why are they later fighting in a church………………..?

The film’s been in post production for over a year so why they couldn’t improve the script with reshoots is beyond me. Granted the FX are very impressive, the flaming skull looks great and the hell-chopper morphs pretty well but it’s all ………….dull. The villainous sidekicks are all from the school of ‘seen it before’ with their floaty dust manoeuvres. All the fights are short and dull and to be honest….I just didn’t care and wanted the film to end.

Donal Logue (Mack) was the only guy who realised the whole thing was a joke in my opinion and by dying has insured he’s not around for the sequel which considering the money it’s made looks likely. 

1 ½ / 5 – A real disappointment. Up there with Blade: Trinity.

< Message edited by Timon -- 10/3/2007 6:57:26 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 58
RE: Ghost Rider - 10/3/2007 7:34:08 PM   
Steve L

Completely in agreement with the above post

I thought it was shit

Nic Cage doing his best Elvis impersonation,crap script/dialogue,crap villain,an under used Peter Fonda & Sam Elliott

the best thing about it was the effects and Sam Elliott.

i read that the studio placed a huge delay on this films release,it shows,they were trying to polish a turd. Honestly,i was much more interested in the old western Ghost Rider story hinted at with Sam's character piss poor effort.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 59
worst film of the year - 11/3/2007 8:02:10 PM   
stuarth65

I had high hopes for this one. I enjoyed Daredevil which got slagged off and when I saw Empire had given this 3 stars my expectations were lifted. However it felt as if half of the movie had been cut, the villians were completely useless, the acting was poor, and it was completely boring. I don't though if there was studio interference given the long delay, and perhaps there is better directors cut to come on DVD in the future. Extremely dissapointed

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ghost Rider rides to top of Box Office but not to Greatness! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI