Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Due South

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Due South Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Due South - 4/12/2006 12:21:11 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

I'd advise looking for the DVDs R1, Barefoot, though there are all sorts of variations with packaging and which episodes are actually bundled together.

Nice quick reply there  I bought the first season on Region 2 a while back and had a blast making my way through them. I had forgotten how brilliant the show was. Paul Gross is just amazing. The whole storyline with his 'ex' from Canada was so well done.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 31
RE: Due South - 1/6/2007 1:42:01 PM   
Zaphod121

- Bump -

In the UK dvds did they pack Seasons 3 & 4 together as one set? Cus I looked on Play and they are only selling series 1 - 3, and series 3 is a 7 disc set

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 32
RE: Due South - 1/6/2007 1:49:39 PM   
Filmic Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

- Bump -

In the UK dvds did they pack Seasons 3 & 4 together as one set? Cus I looked on Play and they are only selling series 1 - 3, and series 3 is a 7 disc set

Yup.  Seasons 3 and 4 are only 13 episodes each, or roundabout, so they come as one set labelled as season 3.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 33
RE: Due South - 1/9/2008 8:16:38 PM   
giddig

It really was an excellent series. The theme tune was perfect. The casting (yes even the replacement Ray) was excellent. The sense of humour spot on. The Leslie Nielsen episodes were very good. I was very glad they roped the old Ray back for the final episode.

Anyone know if it's being shown again anytime soon?

< Message edited by giddig -- 1/9/2008 8:17:31 PM >

Thank you kindly.

Post #: 34
RE: Due South - 4/9/2008 9:35:03 AM   
Phil884

It was a few months back but it was on-on ITV2 I think, mid weekday mornings. Infinitely preferable to Jeremy freaking Kyle. No idea if it's still showing.

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to giddig)
Post #: 35
RE: Due South - 4/9/2008 11:53:14 AM   
hobx

How bizarre, going through a bunch of old tv theme mp3s the other day I found this and was reminded of a great show. I haven't seen it in years, having never seen the "new ray" episodes I watched a repeat one day and was thoroughly confused. Now I'm afraid to rewatch due to the fear of rose tinted memories. Does the series still stand up?

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 36
RE: Due South - 4/9/2008 5:57:30 PM   
Phil884

I bought series 1 on DVD early this year. I found the banter between Ray and Fraser to still be very entertaining, the quirks of Fraser amusing and even the personality of the wolf funny. But 10 years on it feels far more schmaltzy than I remember. Still, all good fun when it doesn’t take itself too seriously and the opening theme song is wicked!

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to hobx)
Post #: 37
RE: Due South - 28/12/2009 8:15:48 PM   
Virgil Brigman

Quick apologies to the Mods, I started a thread on this show not realising one already existed, so sorry for that.

I loved this show growing up, it was part of my regular television diet in the 90's, every Saturday night on BBC1. I loved how superhuman Benton was, I loved the chemistry with Ray, I just plain loved this show. Brilliant stuff.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 38
RE: Due South - 29/12/2009 8:46:06 AM   
giddig

I think it still stands up as great enterainment (10 years on?! Crikey!), in fact I would say the schmaltzy-ness was part of it's appeal from the start. The new Ray never tainted it really it was just a twist on the theme (it would have been nice to keep the original Ray around for more guest appearances though), I mean Benton was always the main focus right?

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to Virgil Brigman)
Post #: 39
RE: Due South - 29/12/2009 12:30:52 PM   
The Hooded Man

Wasn't Paul Gross going to be Superman with Courtney Cox as Lois Lane until Tim Burton took over and cast Nicolas Cage?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to giddig)
Post #: 40
RE: Due South - 29/12/2009 3:01:55 PM   
giddig

I never heard that! That would have been brilliant casting of Paul Gross. What a missed opportunity. Nothing against the Superman Returns guy though.

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 41
RE: Due South - 29/12/2009 3:07:05 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: giddig

I think it still stands up as great enterainment (10 years on?! Crikey!), in fact I would say the schmaltzy-ness was part of it's appeal from the start. The new Ray never tainted it really it was just a twist on the theme (it would have been nice to keep the original Ray around for more guest appearances though), I mean Benton was always the main focus right?

Well, him and that beautiful wolf.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to giddig)
Post #: 42
RE: Due South - 29/12/2009 4:57:26 PM   
Virgil Brigman

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Wasn't Paul Gross going to be Superman with Courtney Cox as Lois Lane until Tim Burton took over and cast Nicolas Cage?

Damn, I never knew that. Sounds intriguing. Thinking about it, I can actually see Paul Gross in the costume.

There was always this thing I loved about the show and it was when anytime anyone asked Benton what he was doing in Chicago he always delivered this monologue which went along the lines of  "I came to Chicago on the trail of my father's killer and for reasons that I can't get into right now, I've decided to remain as a consultant to the Chicago police force" or something like it, I remember I used to know it off by heart when I was younger and I remember in the show it got to the point where other characters were able to recite it as well.

< Message edited by Virgil Brigman -- 29/12/2009 4:58:13 PM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 43
RE: Due South - 1/1/2010 10:32:57 PM   
Captain Black

That was a great line - I think they only introduced it in the third year (when Gross wrote a fair few of the scripts) because he probably found it amusing how offbeat his own explanation of Fraser's return to Chicago was.

They did a lot more repeat and in-jokes in the third/four seasons, it became quite a bit more self aware, even if it was never completely grounded in reality from the start. I mean, the first time he sees the ghost of his dad is just genius: to introduce something like that several episodes into a show is really brave and it just works.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Virgil Brigman)
Post #: 44
RE: Due South - 19/7/2010 10:17:33 PM   
Joedini

This show really stands up quite well. Currently half way through season one and love it more than I remember.
Diefenbaker is a genius character, possible my favourite animal character from anthing. Both leads are awesome too.

The only dud along the way as far as i'm concerned is the episode wqay Vecchio "falls in love" with a girl after two seconds and spends the episode being stupid about it!

Can't wait to watch the rest!

Post #: 45
RE: Due South - 20/7/2010 8:14:14 PM   
giddig

Right! That settles it! I've got to get the complete series boxset I've seen on ebay now.

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 46
RE: Due South - 12/10/2010 11:03:03 AM   
elab49

Rather brilliant news for fans and soon to be fans alike. From 1pm next Monday (the 18th?), BBC2 seem to be showing Due South from the pilot episode on a daily basis.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to giddig)
Post #: 47
RE: Due South - 12/10/2010 12:48:14 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I still haven't watched them from I taped the ITV showings from about 4 years ago. This might be the time to rewatch this great show once again.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 48
RE: Due South - 12/10/2010 10:04:51 PM   
giddig

Brilliant! Cheers for the heads up. Series record set. Can't wait.

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 49
RE: Due South - 18/10/2010 5:28:08 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Rather brilliant news for fans and soon to be fans alike. From 1pm next Monday (the 18th?), BBC2 seem to be showing Due South from the pilot episode on a daily basis.

I just want to say thanks for that.  I put it on series link last week and I just watched the pilot; it brought back a lot of good memories (me and my grandad used to watch it when I came home from school).  Forgotten just how damn good this programme is, the bit where Fraser is standing outside the embassy was particularly funny.  But the part at the end when he reads his father's journal was also very touching

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: Due South - 18/10/2010 5:38:12 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I used to watch this show when it first aired - good stuff, great theme song. I seem to remember reading somewhere that at one point, Paul Gross was being considered to play SUPERMAN when it was in 'Development Hell' during the 90's.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 51
RE: Due South - 20/10/2010 10:29:20 PM   
giddig

It is still exactly as good as I remembered it. Hope the Beeb repeat all of the episodes through to the very end. Keep thinking about getting the DVDs and hovering over the boxsets on amazon. Anyone got them? Know if the repackaged sets have the pilot included?

< Message edited by giddig -- 28/10/2010 7:57:40 PM >

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 52
RE: Due South - 28/5/2011 8:55:53 AM   
giddig

Where oh where have the repeats gone?! I know most people don't rate the final season as much but I really was looking forward to seeing it through to the magic final episode when original Ray returns and they all have to work together. Anyone know when the BBC2 repeats will restart?

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to giddig)
Post #: 53
DUE SOUTH - 26/7/2011 7:49:57 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I downloaded the instrumental version of Jay Semko's theme song last night and have now set it as the ringtone for my alarm - beautiful music

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to giddig)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Due South Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI