Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Should Closer be sent down?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Should Closer be sent down? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
[Poll]

Should Closer be sent down?

Guilty
  30% (128)
Not guilty
  69% (291)

Total Votes : 419

(last vote on : 24/2/2011 8:20:51 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 21/3/2007 7:56:49 PM   
Sharky2205

Not Guilty! An inside look at some very strange relationships but still a very good film. And I completely agree with Kim Newman that Natalie Portman's character at the end of the film is free from her trapped life. Added to by a very good soundtrack.

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 61
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 21/3/2007 9:22:06 PM   
Auron41

When I watched Closer, I felt that I'd wasted two hours of my life.  It seemed a messy juxtaposition of supposedly 'real' relationships and truly artificial dialog. 

You can't simply take the latter as a given just because it's an adaptation...it's meant to adapt, right?  Moreover, the fact that the film deals with the awkward, selfish, destructive side of love is no excuse.  There's no metaphor here; it's a clumsy, terribly self-indulgent piece of work.  Guilty!

Don't get me wrong though, all credit to the actors, especially Owen and Roberts, who make the best of what they're given.

-

Sam

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 62
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 28/3/2007 11:49:06 AM   
dark crystal

All I can say is thank God  Hollywood  makes films like Closer.

Intelligent, thought provoking, character driven and close to the bone, this film is definitely not guilty.

The only weak link, as others have mentioned, is the awful Julia Roberts. But then, I've never been able to stomach her in anything apres Pretty Woman.

In an industry dominated with remakes, special effects, comic book adaptations and Snakes on a Plane, it's refreshing to see films like this that rely merely on good, old-fashioned acting, story and dialogue.

The defence rests, your honour

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man"

(in reply to Auron41)
Post #: 63
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 4/4/2007 11:28:44 AM   
discodave101

i don't remember seeing an article about it being found 'not guilty' in this months empire. Was it there?

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Should Closer be sent down? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI