Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Should Closer be sent down?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Should Closer be sent down? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
[Poll]

Should Closer be sent down?

Guilty
  30% (128)
Not guilty
  69% (291)

Total Votes : 419

(last vote on : 24/2/2011 8:20:51 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 28/2/2007 7:18:56 PM   
jellybumfruitcakes

No way should it be shut down.
The internet chat between Dan and Larry is hilarious, tho Jude Law's character is annoying, whiney and unrealistic, and Portman's is naive for a stripper.
Clive Owen is the best thing in it, Larry is the most believeable character, yes even tho he's your average perv but there you are lol.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 31
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 1/3/2007 9:40:34 AM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

I absolutely love this film, and it really holds up on repeat viewings and allows you to further immerse yourself in the characters. I thought Natalie Portman's acting was outstanding, and I consider it her best work to date. The fact she also happens to be a stripper makes it all the better!

There's only one scene that didn't really work or make sense to me, and thats in the art gallery where owen touches portmans face very intimately without even knowing her at that point. Seemed a bit odd and out of place to me.

All in all an awesome movie and definitely one of the best of 2004. Whenever I flick onto it on Sky I can't turn over.

NOT GUILTY!

My thought was ... That Larry is a master of manipulation and has a meticulous eye for people. Obviously, he knows that Alice knows that something is happening between her Dan and his Anna ... Alice is the most vulnerable and sensitive of the characters and to Larry she reeks of desperation or sadness (She's smoking, on her own in what's a dark, isolated area, looking at a picture of herself crying ... and when she talks she a little childish and poisonous) ... Larry places her emotions as a consequence of Dan playing away, and must realize there's a possibility of a little sordid revenge bubbling between them ... But Larry has no intention of doing that, he's just confirming that if he wanted to, he could have Alice ... she isn't interested in revenge, she is too frightened even to approach Dan about his cheating (And naturally she doesn't want to discuss with Dan what may've been a little naughtiness with Larry later on), she just wants someone to cling onto, to take her away from her undernourished life as a stripper, she would give herself entirely to Larry if he demanded her. He perhaps knows this, and looking only for a one night stand (That maybe he can approach Anna with, instead he probably just makes something up later when he tells her he cheated on her)  he is satisfied in knowing he caused Alice to melt on the spot and beg him to take her away from Dan (She can't possibly leave him, she is scared that he may be her only opportunity...). Wonderful scene I thought

Anyway I haven't seen it in years so that's a bit of a rant But hopefully it adds up somehow

Thanks  Lydia_H, was hoping someone might reply on their thoughts to that scene. Still not sure myself, I'd have to watch the film and that scene again to remember. Would love to hear anyone elses thoughts on that scene too - if they agree or disagree with Lydia_H - or if, like me, they're just left a little bewildered.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 32
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 1/3/2007 1:25:23 PM   
vernieboy

Whilst not the greatest film to be released that year i did quite enjoy it even though there are elements to the film which were poor. There was enough about it which would make me rewatch it and so to quote Kim Newman "If the film isn't shit, you must acquit it!" Therefore Not Guilty your honour!

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 33
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 1/3/2007 6:41:33 PM   
!!!

quote:

My thought was ... That Larry is a master of manipulation and has a meticulous eye for people.

True.  He even describes her as sly later on.

quote:

Obviously, he knows that Alice knows that something is happening between her Dan and his Anna ...

See, I don't buy this. Given how possessive Larry is it's not like he'd hang around flirting with Alice if he had any inkling at this stage. Later at the party he realises, note him looking for her with a frown on his face. I think he's just flirting and what's piqued his interest is the comment Alice made about Anna's photos.

quote:

He perhaps knows this, and looking only for a one night stand (That maybe he can approach Anna with, instead he probably just makes something up later when he tells her he cheated on her)

No, I don't think he made up sleeping with someone else. As we see throughout the film, Larry isn't really capable of lying, not even to himself.

< Message edited by !!! -- 1/3/2007 6:42:04 PM >

(in reply to vernieboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 1/3/2007 7:24:40 PM   
Lydia_H

quote:

See, I don't buy this. Given how possessive Larry is it's not like he'd hang around flirting with Alice if he had any inkling at this stage. Later at the party he realises, note him looking for her with a frown on his face. I think he's just flirting and what's piqued his interest is the comment Alice made about Anna's photos.

Course he is flirting, but when he asks Alice where her boyfriend is and she replies with something like 'Over there, with your  girlfriend' I thought it added a certain element to things and would've been an indication that she had reason to be a little miffed about Dan socializing with Anna. Besides, I think he'd have an inkling anyway, which is why he is flirting because an affair is an important part of his manipulation of Anna, who is the depressive (iirc Larry talks about Anna being a depressive when Dan confronts him in his office) and needs to feel guilty and indebted and unhappy to feel comfortable. With her affair looming over her, and Larry's compartive honesty and the perception that he was far more heartbroken over her affair than she was over his, she becomes the complaisant little woman that Larry wants to command and dominate and control, and so their relationship works, they both satisfy each other. I think Larry is cunning and perceptive and he would've had Anna pinged for what she was early on (Maybe as early as him embarrassing himself as a drooling pervert (whilst Anna was staring longingly at some fish on her own in the dark) and not having the rozzers called on him and ultimately having a nice chat and subsequent relationship), and decided that she would do something to try and spoil their relationship because she would need that.

Of course an affair is the best path for Anna for these ends, furthermore because ultimately she can feel bad about rejecting Dan and her relationship with him is perhaps further sustained by the fact she is also effecting Alice (It's interesting as well she photographs Alice crying because she knows about the affair, but still keeps that picture as one of her most prominent and an example of her whole body of work). Doesn't Larry also say the key to a relationship is compromise? Could he not have accepted Anna as a cheater knowing that ultimately this would give him a really loyal, submissive girlfriend/wife? Closer I thought was just about compatibility (And chance) and ultimately only Larry and Anna were compatible.

Perhaps there is a lot of assumption in that but I think the film welcomes it by leaving such significant periods of the various relationships a mystery. I love this film but I don't want to watch it again so forgive me if a few details of my argument are a little iffy

< Message edited by Lydia_H -- 1/3/2007 7:27:55 PM >

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to !!!)
Post #: 35
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 1/3/2007 11:08:02 PM   
Juliette

Natalie Portman pole dancing does not automatically mean a movie is good. Firstly, this argument only applies to straight, male viewers - less than 50% of the population. Secondly, a pole dancing scene that... appeals to a straight man, shall we say, is good erotica, not a good movie.

I saw Closer on stage and loathed it. Pretentious and dull. The movie is actually slightly better than the stage play - more intimate and better acted - but not enough. Guilty.

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 36
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 2/3/2007 12:02:44 AM   
bub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juliette

Natalie Portman pole dancing does not automatically mean a movie is good. Firstly, this argument only applies to straight, male viewers - less than 50% of the population. Secondly, a pole dancing scene that... appeals to a straight man, shall we say, is good erotica, not a good movie.

I saw Closer on stage and loathed it. Pretentious and dull. The movie is actually slightly better than the stage play - more intimate and better acted - but not enough. Guilty.

I beg the differ.

Not Guilty.

(in reply to Juliette)
Post #: 37
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 2/3/2007 10:40:38 AM   
theram05

A tad up its own arse, and Julia is SO not good looking enough to play that role.

But Nat, dancing, prick teasing, saying fuck a lot, enough to make a grown man feel like a young boy exploring himself for the first time all over again.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Greg Andrew)
Post #: 38
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 2/3/2007 3:56:10 PM   
domduck

Closer bullies you into believing it's an intelligent, sophistocated, fresh and real riff on modern relationships, when actually it's an insipid slice of self-satisfied shit.
No-one talks like this: "I love you!"
"Where? Where do you love me?" Possibly because you would slap them.
And what kind of strip club always plays the same bloody Prodigy song over and over and over?
GUILTY!

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 39
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 2/3/2007 5:16:36 PM   
tombo

This is actually the first trial of a film I haven't loathed (Moulin Rouge is the only film I've actually walked out of - I only seriously considered sacking off Fight Club).

Mannered  - yes
Stagey       - yes
Guilty         - no

I actually found it quite difficult to watch, but only because it got a genuine emotional response. You don't get that too often and when you do it should be celebrated.

(in reply to domduck)
Post #: 40
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 2/3/2007 6:51:47 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juliette

Firstly, this argument only applies to straight, male viewers - less than 50% of the population.

That's a big assumption to make. Not all straight men would have liked that scene, and I think it's a tough scene to look at purely in terms of it's titillation.

Plus you ignored the lesbians. But that's presumptive too. I personally think it's a very realistic, obviously staged and stylized, look at relationships. It's hard to watch sometimes and that's a sign of an observant writer.

WARNING: I may google your name because I'm a bit nosey.

(in reply to Juliette)
Post #: 41
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 2/3/2007 8:13:05 PM   
Natbyrne

quote:

ORIGINAL: domduck

Closer bullies you into believing it's an intelligent, sophistocated, fresh and real riff on modern relationships, when actually it's an insipid slice of self-satisfied shit.
No-one talks like this: "I love you!"
"Where? Where do you love me?" Possibly because you would slap them.
And what kind of strip club always plays the same bloody Prodigy song over and over and over?
GUILTY!

Well put -

Although, I'd almost say its too mediocre to be guilty of crimes against cinema....
And it has one redeeming feature - Clive Owen.............
That said, it takes itself way too seriously and is incredibly pretentious!

Couldn't stand it.......Guilty!

(in reply to domduck)
Post #: 42
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 2/3/2007 10:49:49 PM   
certificate18

Closer has a blistering script and a compelling cast of desperate self-destructive characters.  It's Natalie Portman's finest role since Leon and Jude Law has never played himself with such distinction.  Plus it has that fantastic score starting with The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice.  I loved it and I'm shocked Empire even considered it for a guilty/not guilty vote.

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 43
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 3/3/2007 12:31:43 PM   
godzilavskennyrogers

Oh man,a middle class people have problems drama,thats refreshing(!),god its like when lock stock came out and all these crappy rip offs showed up.Since the Royal Tennenbaums there has been a glut of posh,middle class,home counties twats,artistic gays have problems too flicks .Don't forget the cutting edge soundtracks from Warp,Ninja et al. with some acoustic numbers by an Q magazine fave(i.e. dadrock) and mix it together for..................3 star movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!God help us.Empire should stamp these out and get on with the big hollywood question...what is Rambo's hairstyle going to be like in the new movie ?

< Message edited by godzilavskennyrogers -- 3/3/2007 12:32:59 PM >

(in reply to Greg Andrew)
Post #: 44
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 3/3/2007 2:41:01 PM   
john.sharman27

This was meant as a stage play,written by a good playwright, Marber. This was a terrible film,lacklustre and dull. Only Clive Owen had any passion and Natalie Portman was scintillating. Jude Law and Julia Roberts phoned in virtual reality performances because they make so many films due more to subservient casting directors than to any real talent.Does any blood flow through their veins?

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 45
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 3/3/2007 4:27:33 PM   
makashkash

definetly not guilty...

show me one adult who hasn't been through something similar and  i'll prove to both they're in denial...

i do agree though, it does seem like it doesn't need an audience, all the better for it... what a nice break from all the other needy movies...

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 46
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 5/3/2007 10:16:06 AM   
oddzag

GUILTY, so far up its own ass i actually started to gag. Natalie Portman is the only actor to come out of this tripe with any real credibility.

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to makashkash)
Post #: 47
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 5/3/2007 2:00:24 PM   
dunkah

One of the best and most brutally honest portrayals of jealousy ive ever seen in a movie. Not guilty. Now fuck off and die you fucked up slag..

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 48
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 5/3/2007 4:25:46 PM   
!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: dunkah

One of the best and most brutally honest portrayals of jealousy ive ever seen in a movie. Not guilty. Now fuck off and die you fucked up slag..

Best line in a film ever.

(in reply to dunkah)
Post #: 49
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 5/3/2007 11:18:34 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: oddzag

GUILTY, so far up its own ass i actually started to gag. Natalie Portman is the only actor to come out of this tripe with any real credibility.

Without being rude, you're 17. It's a realistic portrayal of jealousy and relationships.

WARNING: I may google your name because I'm a bit nosey.

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 50
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 6/3/2007 1:56:56 PM   
elliotgrieve

A resounding Not Guilty.

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 51
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 6/3/2007 2:17:25 PM   
punchdrunk

Guilty!
Watch Niel Labutes "Your Friends and Nieghbors" and see a much better disection of Relationships.  
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119517/

(in reply to elliotgrieve)
Post #: 52
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 6/3/2007 3:21:09 PM   
Flaygor

Mmmmm although i'm wan't to dislike anything with Julia Roberts in it (she is just not good looking, and irratates beyond belief in most of the crap she pollutes). But this is one of the instances where her presence is not enough to bollox it up. Not guilty.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 53
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 7/3/2007 5:28:47 PM   
swordsandsandals

I was actually shocked that a few issues ago, Empire put the scene with terrible language in as the 'classic scene' at the back. It was sick, pretentious, and doesn't deserve the respect and praise it earned. Guilty.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 54
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 7/3/2007 7:08:48 PM   
lennybaby_2000

Send it down and bang it up! One of the worst films I have ever endured. It had the most self-consciously tortured dialogue, where mis-judged feistyness and sexiness was sledge-hammered into every agonising scene. Pretentious scriptwriting at its most dire, this film strives so desperately to be searing, honest and insightful,  and succeeds only in being crass and grotty. A genuinely awful film.  Good cast, but it says little for their taste or intelligence that they would read this script and go "...yeah. This script is just really real, man..." I spent two hours of my life on this crud. I DEMAND them back!

(in reply to Pav Basra)
Post #: 55
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 7/3/2007 7:43:48 PM   
swordsandsandals

COME ON PEOPLE! Guilty!!!!

(in reply to lennybaby_2000)
Post #: 56
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 7/3/2007 8:47:31 PM   
Lydia_H

Yay! It's winning by miles!  I think there are some haters are digging out some of their other Empire accounts 

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 57
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 9/3/2007 8:14:20 PM   
thomasp

quote:

ORIGINAL: john.sharman27

This was meant as a stage play,written by a good playwright, Marber. This was a terrible film,lacklustre and dull. Only Clive Owen had any passion and Natalie Portman was scintillating. Jude Law and Julia Roberts phoned in virtual reality performances because they make so many films due more to subservient casting directors than to any real talent.Does any blood flow through their veins?

Spot on. What a lazy adaptation/cynically packaged turkey. Yeah some of the dialogue is good - you'd hope so from a play wouldnt you - but it fails to become a film, just a filmed play. Yeah Portman rocks and Owen is great but this is only really average and so smug it makes me a little sick. Guilty, guilty guilty.

Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?

(in reply to john.sharman27)
Post #: 58
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 11/3/2007 7:40:16 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

Yay! It's winning by miles!  I think there are some haters are digging out some of their other Empire accounts 

Good idea Lydia

*puts on a fake tash and wig*

I think eeet iz guilty

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 59
RE: Should Closer be sent down? - 17/3/2007 11:34:16 PM   
clarabell

God - I hated this film!  I really don;t see what all the fuss over it is about.

I've seen it once at the cinema and struggled to sit through it

When I die, bury me up-side down, so the world can kiss my ass

Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Should Closer be sent down? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI