SOLDIER BLUE(1970)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> SOLDIER BLUE(1970) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SOLDIER BLUE(1970) - 19/2/2007 7:26:04 PM   
evil bill

Soldier Blue was directed by Ralph Nelson and showed how deep bigotry and racial hatred was in the old west of 1864.The story centres on private in the US Cavalry(Peter Strauss),and young woman trying to join up with her fiancee(Candice Bergen).They are part of a paymasters detachment that is attacked by Cheyenne Indains,and are the only surviors.They make there way across country and have a run in with an eccentric gun runner(Donald Pleasence).As the story unfolds they both find there attitudes towards themselfs and the indains begin to change.It's a wonderful movie that is so enthralling,you are caught by surprise at the trully horific bloodbath at the end.This event at the end is a true story of Colonel Chivington and his Colorado Militia,who massacred 500 mainly women and children Cheyenne,he instructed his men"Kill and scalp all,big and little tits make lice"The rape and murder of these people is shown in some of the most grafic scenes ever in a westren,and makes for disturbing viewing,all the more because it did happen.5/5.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 19/2/2007 7:28:07 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 1
RE: SOLDIER BLUE(1970) - 19/2/2007 8:51:51 PM   
clownfoot

I think 5 out of 5 is a bit a stretch. Except for the rape, pillage and murder of the locals by the US Calvary at the end, the rest of the film is quite slow going and not particularly well acted! Still, Soilder Blue is an interesting entry to the genre despite its flaws and is one of the few times you'll see the US calvary feature in such a role reversal - although whether it's a response to the denial of the American Holocaust in Hollyood movies by the filmmakers or has more of an association with the Mai Lai massacre in 1968 is debatable.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2
RE: SOLDIER BLUE(1970) - 20/2/2007 5:48:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

I think 5 out of 5 is a bit a stretch. Except for the rape, pillage and murder of the locals by the US Calvary at the end, the rest of the film is quite slow going and not particularly well acted! Still, Soilder Blue is an interesting entry to the genre despite its flaws and is one of the few times you'll see the US calvary feature in such a role reversal - although whether it's a response to the denial of the American Holocaust in Hollyood movies by the filmmakers or has more of an association with the Mai Lai massacre in 1968 is debatable.

I have read that the movie was indeed a reaction to what was going on in Veitnam,but it also was to show how badly the Amercian Indain had been and still is treated.In fact the Indain race was nearly wiped out by so called Amercians,and as a race are still seen as a third class nation compared to the African Amercains.As for the rating it is maybe a bit much but the way it unfolds it gives no real hint to the bloodbath depressing end.It is by far the best of it's sub genre of the westren,and one of the most powerful endings to a movie around.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 3
RE: SOLDIER BLUE(1970) - 20/2/2007 8:10:11 PM   
Newander

I can vividly remember seeing this as a kid. The end scenes are truly harrowing and have stuck with me years on.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 4
RE: SOLDIER BLUE(1970) - 4/3/2007 11:55:21 AM   
evil bill

Anyone interrested in this movie it's avaible on play.com for 6.99 region 2 UK.Also avaible on Amazon region 1 US 4.59.It's a must have westren/anit war movie.

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 5
RE: SOLDIER BLUE(1970) - 4/3/2007 12:02:19 PM   
doncopey1

Not a fan of this movie i have to say, heavily dated, over the top and instead the film's over ambiguous plot is the films fault and in the end i didn't feel anything accept eing uncomertable. 2 stars.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> SOLDIER BLUE(1970) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI