Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 10:04:20 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I never liked Daredevil or Spiderman comics. I should add re recs that I grew up reading US comics and read them all the way through my 20s as well. So I've done all the older Marvel/DC stuff. I've dabbled since, so I read Kick Ass, had a go at Preacher.

Invincible looks a bit like Sky High - would that be fair? I love this Comixology thing where the first issue is often free

It's kind of like an 18 rated Sky High if we're gonna go down that route.

Depending on how whimsical you are when it comes to comics Bone is a must for everybody in my view. Also forgot to mention American Vampire, which in my opinion is one of the best comics running at the moment.

Was also nice to see you giving the Waterstones on Sauchiehall Street a mention they've really stepped up their comic section in recent times....

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1981
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 11:00:29 AM   
elab49

The last mention wasn't favourable I'm aftaid - I'd to leave without a purchase the other week because of the state of the GNs they were still charging 'new' purchase prices for - every single GN of Fables has damage to the cover.

Turning a section into a reading room might seem public friendly but it inevitably, I think, means resultant problems with trying to sell what's left over. I like shopping in book shops rather than Amazon when I can, even if I know I'm paying more. But I'm not paying those prices for scuffed, damaged or obviously used books.

I was lucky this time as my purchases were on the shelf and didn't seem to have been messed with. It's not a problem I've ever noticed with general books, just the comics section

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1982
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 3:44:30 PM   
matthewforan

Can't say I've ever noticed that, however I am more inclined to buy from Forbidden Planet than Waterstones, like you say even if I have to pay a couple quid more.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1983
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 3:54:23 PM   
elab49

It was maybe unfortunate that it was every one of the Fables books and that's what I was looking for.

I'd go to Forbidden Planet too, but it's harder to get there conveniently. I only get to Waterstones when I'm early for the GFT.

Also - did you see todays Obscerver? Ben Wheatley of Kill List/Sightseers fame choose Invincible as one of his cultural highlights

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 1984
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 3:54:53 PM   
elab49

Wait - are you Ben Wheatley?!?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1985
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 5:18:43 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

quote:

I never liked Daredevil or Spiderman comics. I should add re recs that I grew up reading US comics and read them all the way through my 20s as well. So I've done all the older Marvel/DC stuff. I've dabbled since, so I read Kick Ass, had a go at Preacher.

Invincible looks a bit like Sky High - would that be fair? I love this Comixology thing where the first issue is often free

It's kind of like an 18 rated Sky High if we're gonna go down that route.

Depending on how whimsical you are when it comes to comics Bone is a must for everybody in my view. Also forgot to mention American Vampire, which in my opinion is one of the best comics running at the moment.

Was also nice to see you giving the Waterstones on Sauchiehall Street a mention they've really stepped up their comic section in recent times....

I would agree with you on Bone and American Vampire has been very interesting although it has drifted a little in the WWII storyline.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1986
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 8:01:17 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

It was maybe unfortunate that it was every one of the Fables books and that's what I was looking for.

I'd go to Forbidden Planet too, but it's harder to get there conveniently. I only get to Waterstones when I'm early for the GFT.

Also - did you see todays Obscerver? Ben Wheatley of Kill List/Sightseers fame choose Invincible as one of his cultural highlights

I haven't seen either of those flicks but hear good things so I'll keep an eye out since he's got such good taste in comics....

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1987
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/3/2013 8:03:52 PM   
elab49

I think Kill List is on tonight on one of the channels - Film 4 maybe? It's because Sightseers is out on DVD tomorrow.

quote:

Post #: 1988
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 28/3/2013 2:20:05 PM   
indysgill

I thought Kill List was a load of shit.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1989
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 28/3/2013 2:57:15 PM   
elab49

It seems to be quite divisive that way

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/3/2013 12:23:24 AM >

quote:

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1990
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 29/3/2013 9:51:47 PM   
ChickMagnet

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1991
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 30/3/2013 3:46:51 AM   
furrybastard

Post #: 1992
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 30/3/2013 4:32:56 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie
Where did you purchase Daytripper from, elab? I've been searching for it like a possessed person! Everywhere i look it's out of bloody stock.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Daytripper-Fabio-Moon/9781401229696?selectCurrency=GBP

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1993
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 30/3/2013 8:39:26 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie
Where did you purchase Daytripper from, elab? I've been searching for it like a possessed person! Everywhere i look it's out of bloody stock.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Daytripper-Fabio-Moon/9781401229696?selectCurrency=GBP

Thanks for the link furry, slight problem though it says unavailable, maybe someone ordered it before i could get to it? "damn them, damn them all to hell" !

Anyhow, looks like you finally nabbed that copy of Gotham Central eh? Nice one. And Habibi, wow. Will this be your first reading of said GN? It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on it. As for me, i absolutely loved it! One of the most beautiful works i have had the pleasure of reading in the comics medium. And Origins was a blast, loved the whole story and Ezquerra's artwork is fantastic. That copy looks slightly different than the one i have, but the good thing being at least they spelt Ezquerra's name correctly, whereas the U.K version has an unforgivable error in the printing of the maestro's name.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 30/3/2013 8:44:04 AM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1994
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 30/3/2013 3:08:45 PM   
furrybastard

Origins is the US edition that was released last week. I haven't read the story since it appeared weekly in the Prog; at the time I thought it was only ok so looking forward to giving it a re-read.

Yup this is my first time reading Habibi. I've read all his other work however!

And Gotham Central is brilliant. Unfortunately the fourth volume was gone so I'm still one short. Interestingly they had copies of the older editions with the old type of Vertigo paper. The difference it makes to the artwork is massive. If anyone is considering checking out this series (and you really should!) then I'd heavily recommend finding the new editions as the older ones really don't do justice to Michael Lark and co.s artwork!

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 1995
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 8/4/2013 12:03:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1996
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 8/4/2013 6:41:49 PM   
impqueen

Yes, always.

Post #: 1997
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 8/4/2013 7:27:29 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Tis excellent.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1998
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 8/4/2013 8:08:43 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

Tis excellent.

It really is.

If you enjoy that then I seriously recommend this

which is even better (although not by much) in my opinion.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1999
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 8/4/2013 8:34:46 PM   
talpacino

Yeah I've read up as far as the end of Ghost Stories. Was really enjoying it but got distracted by other stuff, will get back to it soon.

Edit: You probably intended that post for Impqueen.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 8/4/2013 8:36:11 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 2000
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 9/4/2013 11:32:01 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Yeah I've read up as far as the end of Ghost Stories. Was really enjoying it but got distracted by other stuff, will get back to it soon.

Edit: You probably intended that post for Impqueen.

I did

I knew you already owned it, I remember you mentioning it when I got my copy.

Ghost Stories is the best story in the collection but they're all pretty kick arse IMO. I've loved pretty much everything I've read off Lemire so far. Lost Dogs was a very good debut, Essex County and The Underwater Welder are both up there with the best comic books I've read, the 4 volumes of Sweet Tooth I've read so far have been fantastic, his run on Animal Man is my favourite DC title and the couple of issues he's done of Green Arrow so far have been very good considering I'm not familiar with the character. I've actually been tempted to pick up Constantine based on the fact that he's writing but decided against it as I'm buying more than enough as it is. I might pick up the first trade when it comes out and see what it's like.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 2001
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 9/4/2013 6:33:23 PM   
Chojin

Just ordered my final two Bishoujo Statues, this is it! no more, I now have 15 of them with 3 rows of 5. No more will be purchased i'm adamant.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 2002
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 9/4/2013 10:41:33 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Tis excellent.

It really is.

If you enjoy that then I seriously recommend this

which is even better (although not by much) in my opinion.

I'm going to purchase Essex County in a few weeks.

SAGA SPOILERS!

Also has anyone seen this Apple Bans Digital Saga #12...

Yes, always.

Post #: 2003
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/4/2013 9:16:55 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Apple are twats!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2004
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/4/2013 9:52:35 AM   
elab49

Really not an Apple fan but I think their issue seems to be the explicit aspect?

Not that it matters - Comixology have already confirmed they'll be selling the comic as usual.

quote:

Post #: 2005
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/4/2013 10:01:42 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Really not an Apple fan but I think their issue seems to be the explicit aspect?

Strange then that the opening page featuring a full page panel of Alana having a back arching orgasm while riding Marko in the last issue was fine. Not to mention the 2 angels in Sextillion wearing strap ons while performing a 69 got through seemingly without any problems. Most of the run has featured explicit or slightly disturbing images (giant ball sack ) so I'm expecting this to be pretty graphic otherwise Apple have a case to answer IMO.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 10/4/2013 10:16:26 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2006
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/4/2013 10:48:42 AM   
elab49

I think it's the erect penis - that's the issue for the film side as well. As many nekkid penises and bits as you want, but yer actual erection is a censorship issue. Sex, upper bits seem OK - bit not erect penises. One of the comments also notes they'd removed one before with up close female genitalia, so it seems a little unfair they're trying to make it a homophobic thing (unless I've blanked and you do see that earlier in the story?

One of the comments also suggests it might still be on Apple but in a different part, one that does grade for that kind of defined Adult content.

quote:

Post #: 2007
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/4/2013 2:16:51 PM   
Zaphod121

ADVENTURE TIME VOL. 1 and SPIDER-MAN KRAVEN'S LAST HUNT

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2008
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/4/2013 9:28:58 PM   
talpacino

http://blog.comixology.com/2013/04/10/ceo-on-saga-12-controversy/

Concluding the Saga #12 saga
Posted on April 10th, 2013 - 13:49 PM by David Steinberger
To our customers -

In the last 24 hours there has been a lot of chatter about Apple banning Saga #12 from our Comics App on the Apple App Store due to depictions of gay sex. This is simply not true, and we’d like to clarify.

As a partner of Apple, we have an obligation to respect its policies for apps and the books offered in apps. Based on our understanding of those policies, we believed that Saga #12 could not be made available in our app, and so we did not release it today.

We did not interpret the content in question as involving any particular sexual orientation, and frankly that would have been a completely irrelevant consideration under any circumstance.

Given this, it should be clear that Apple did not reject Saga #12.

After hearing from Apple this morning, we can say that our interpretation of its policies was mistaken. You’ll be glad to know that Saga #12 will be available on our App Store app soon.

We apologize to Saga creator Brian K. Vaughan and Image Comics for any confusion this may have caused.

All the best,

David Steinberger
CEO and co-founder
comiXology

Currahee!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 2009
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 11/4/2013 12:44:45 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Just ordered my final two Bishoujo Statues, this is it! no more, I now have 15 of them with 3 rows of 5. No more will be purchased i'm adamant.

Damn! That behind shot of Huntress!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 2010
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI