Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 18/3/2013 5:12:38 PM   
Nexus Wookie

You can try these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/1607063565/ref=mw_dp_olp?qid=1363626117&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Book Depository would be my choice.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1951
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 19/3/2013 5:25:55 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Right. In an ongoing effort to bankrupt myself

- Manhattan Projects. Absolutely loved, gone on to my FP subscription
- Fables - up to book 6 and counting
- Y The last Man - not a fan

I've even started re-reading some of my older stuff.

So - given Saga, Manhattan Projects, Revival, Morning Glories are all I'm reading at the moment - any other suggestions?

Criminal Vol. 1: Coward (or get the omnibus edition collecting the first three trades)
Glory Vol. 1 (Vol.2 finishes up the story and is out soon)
Daytripper (10 issues, self-contained)
The Umbrella Academy (two volumes)
Prophet Vol. 1: Remission (crazy sci-fi)
Casanova Vol. 1 to 3
Chew Vol. 1 to 6
The New Deadwardians (self-contained, eight issues)

I enjoyed Glory - I'll certainly be picking up the 2nd volume when it comes out. Chew next I think.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/3/2013 5:26:25 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1952
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 3:37:44 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

You can try these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/1607063565/ref=mw_dp_olp?qid=1363626117&sr=8-1-fkmr1

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Guarding-Globe-1-Robert-Kirkman/9781607063568?selectCurrency=GBP

I'd use the main Book Depository site rather than going through Amazon Marketplace. Unless you're getting free shipping, it's cheaper to go through the main BD site.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1953
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 3:39:18 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

quote:

So - given Saga, Manhattan Projects, Revival, Morning Glories are all I'm reading at the moment - any other suggestions?

Criminal Vol. 1: Coward (or get the omnibus edition collecting the first three trades)
Casanova Vol. 1 to 3
Chew Vol. 1 to 6

I enjoyed Glory - I'll certainly be picking up the 2nd volume when it comes out. Chew next I think.

I'm going to have to insist that you check out Prophet and The Umbrella Academy then, if you enjoyed both Glory and Manhattan Projects

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1954
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 9:42:02 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

You can try these;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Guarding-Globe-1-Robert-Kirkman/9781607063568?selectCurrency=GBP

I'd use the main Book Depository site rather than going through Amazon Marketplace. Unless you're getting free shipping, it's cheaper to go through the main BD site.

It costs exactly the same amount in my experience, the price of the goods on the marketplace is £2.80 cheaper than on their website and the shipping is £2.80 (which is the case with the above, £6.06 + £2.80 p&p on the marketplace or £8.86 with free shipping on their website) and their marketplace has stuff in stock that's out of stock on their website. I don't even bother with their website anymore, I found that most of the stuff I was after was out of stock on their website but available on their marketplace fairly regularly. It's an odd way to run a business to be honest.

Anyway, I've just bought.

Glad to get the No Man's Land stuff out of the way now, I'm going to be much more fussy with what I collect in future.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 20/3/2013 9:43:59 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1955
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 10:03:35 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Casanova Vol. 1 to 3
Chew Vol. 1 to 6

I'm going to have to insist that you check out Prophet and The Umbrella Academy then, if you enjoyed both Glory and Manhattan Projects

Comixology didn't have Umbrella Academy. I'm probably going to get a few more hard copy though - I got a couple of Hickman books off there on sale and they're really difficult to read on a laptop.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 1956
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 10:18:15 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I think I might pick up Prophet myself when I'm done collecting Sweet Tooth and Saga of the Swamp Thing. I like the cut of it's jib and Vol 1 is ridiculously cheap on Amazon at the moment.

My top 40 thread has been delayed for a bit, at least until the last issue of Godzilla Half Century War is released. Hopefully it won't be too long because I've been waiting what seems like ages for it. Still, Saga #11 this week .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1957
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 10:25:56 AM   
elab49

If you go to the Book Depository direct, the price is the same as Amazon plus the shipping cost on Amazon - so basically the same. From somewhere that is more likely to be paying tax than Amazon

I've now bought Prophet vol 1 & Umbrella Academy Vol 1.

I've got to stay in town after work tomorrow - might pop along to Forbidden Planet if I have the time. It would be Waterstones but as I probably mentioned above - I might want to be buying something and I'm not paying new prics for obviously used books.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 20/3/2013 10:27:16 AM >

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1958
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 10:37:36 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

If you go to the Book Depository direct, the price is the same as Amazon plus the shipping cost on Amazon - so basically the same. From somewhere that is more likely to be paying tax than Amazon
I've now bought Prophet vol 1 & Umbrella Academy Vol 1.

I've got to stay in town after work tomorrow - might pop along to Forbidden Planet if I have the time. It would be Waterstones but as I probably mentioned above - I might want to be buying something and I'm not paying new prics for obviously used books.

Yeah, that's what I said four posts up How much do amazon take off the marketplace transactions? I can't imagine it's that much if someone like TBD can sell on there for the same price as on their website.

There are at least 3 occasions where what I've been looking for hasn't been in stock on the Book Depository's website but it has been in their marketplace though which is why the marketplace is my first stop when it comes to comicbooks. Every now and again it's actually cheaper to buy from amazon directly but this seems to have become rarer recently. In the case of Prophet the cost is the same as Book Depository but usually amazon are a couple of quid more expensive.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 20/3/2013 10:41:22 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1959
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 12:01:16 PM   
elab49

Sorry - I had the thread opened before I hit my first post so I didn't even see your post existed!

Ditto on stock - I use Aprohead books a lot too.

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1960
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 5:17:33 PM   
furrybastard

You guys are in the UK so delivery is cheaper. Anytime I ordered from Amazon.co.uk, the shipping charges made it way more expensive. At times I actually got stuff cheaper shipping from the US site.

Book Depository was actually bought by Amazon a couple of years back but I think it still operates as an independent entity. Obviously they have some deal regards the marketplace and stock if that's happening.

I hope you enjoy Prophet and Umbrella Academy, Elab! A lot of Image's first trades tend to be cheap (Prophet, Chew, Fatale etc.) to draw in readers to check out their ongoing titles. Seems to be working a treat for Saga and The Walking Dead; they're pretty rare these days as each new single issue is actually increasing in sales. Issues of Saga are still selling out and going to second and third printings; those US comic shops need to get their shit in order and start ordering more to begin with.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1961
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 5:25:04 PM   
furrybastard

FOR FANS OF SAGA, Y: THE LAST MAN, RECENT DAREDEVIL...

Brian K. Vaughan (Saga, Runaways, Y: the Last Man, Ex Machina) and Marcos Martin (Daredevil vol. 3, Amazing Spider-Man) have released a brand new, DRM-free, pay-what-you-want digital comic. You can download the first 32-page issue here. 100% of the money goes towards the creators.

http://panelsyndicate.com/

quote:

Itís a detective story set in 2076, when everyone in the United States has a secret identity. Our protagonist is a member of the paparazzi, outlaw private investigators who dig up the kind of personal dirt no longer readily available through search engines. Itís a mystery with lots of masks, but no superpowers. We know how the story ends, and we think it will take about 10 issues to get there.

I bought this yesterday through PayPal but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Sounds pretty damn good though!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 20/3/2013 5:26:31 PM >

Post #: 1962
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/3/2013 5:28:06 PM   
sanchia

I'll have a look. I went $1.20 for the first issue and will see how good it is for future issues.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1963
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 8:05:53 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Casanova Vol. 1 to 3
Chew Vol. 1 to 6

Comixology didn't have Umbrella Academy. I'm probably going to get a few more hard copy though - I got a couple of Hickman books off there on sale and they're really difficult to read on a laptop.

I was interested enough in Private Eye to wait for the next issue.

And on my recommendations. Actually found some decent condition copies on the shelf in Waterstones yesterday so I bought The New Deadwardians and Daytripper (unsurprisingly my other online orders didn't make it today as the postie is probably frozen to a post box somewhere).

I really liked the world in The New Deadwardians. You could kind of see where the story was going but I ended it hoping to be able to read more which is a good thing.

I loved Daytripper, though, Such a wonderful piece of writing that had me near tears a couple of times. I'm not big on magical realism but this was just at the edge that doesn't irritate - brilliant recommendation, thank you

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1964
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 10:16:49 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Where did you purchase Daytripper from, elab? I've been searching for it like a possessed person! Everywhere i look it's out of bloody stock.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 22/3/2013 10:17:38 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1965
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 10:22:12 PM   
elab49

Waterstones had it on the shelf (the Sauchiehall St store). I was wandering around the section with my phone on this page looking up the titles I still didn't have

< Message edited by elab49 -- 22/3/2013 10:23:48 PM >

quote:

Post #: 1966
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 11:15:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Waterstones had it on the shelf (the Sauchiehall St store). I was wandering around the section with my phone on this page looking up the titles I still didn't have

Thats why i do aswell whenever i go to Forbidden Planet, i have a list of must buy comics! I think i'll wait to see if they do a reprint of Daytrippers or i might hopefully come across a copy like you did! furry suggested it to me a while back and i've been meaning to check it out. Cheers.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 22/3/2013 11:19:52 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1967
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 11:19:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Thats why i do aswell whenever i go to Forbidden Planet, i have a list whole list of must buy comics! I think i'll wait to see if they do a reprint of Daytrippers, furry suggested it to me a while back. Cheers.

It was a brilliant recommendation. I've pushed it into my husband's hands as I think it's a perfect way to get him to try graphic novels as well (he doesn't read comics at all).

quote:

Post #: 1968
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 11:38:48 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thats why i do aswell whenever i go to Forbidden Planet, i have a list whole list of must buy comics! I think i'll wait to see if they do a reprint of Daytrippers, furry suggested it to me a while back. Cheers.

It was a brilliant recommendation. I've pushed it into my husband's hands as I think it's a perfect way to get him to try graphic novels as well (he doesn't read comics at all).

It's a damn shame, elab. I hope his head does get swayed towards graphic novels if he reads Daytrippers. There's so much beautiful and breathtaking stuff out there, which are just as good as prose literature (fiction and non-fiction). I would recommend these titles too;

Habibi: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0571241328

The Underwater Welder: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1603090746/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363995006&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

From Hell: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0861661419/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363995256&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

The first and third one in particular showcases what the graphic novel can accomplish. And a great way to get those unsure about comics, firmly into the fold! If you flick through some of the reviews you can see how it impacted on those who were new to comics. I wholeheartedly recommend them!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1969
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 11:44:34 PM   
elab49

I've got most of Moore already and I forgot that I did actually get him to read Watchmen a few years ago. Which he did enjoy.

Thank you for the other recs

quote:

Post #: 1970
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 22/3/2013 11:52:23 PM   
Nexus Wookie

No probs!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1971
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 1:21:50 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

Fables and Y are both fantastic, just bought myself the first book of Manhattan Projects looking forward to getting round to it. As for recommendations, Invincible is fantastic, Preacher, Ultimate Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1972
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 1:35:08 PM   
elab49

I never liked Daredevil or Spiderman comics. I should add re recs that I grew up reading US comics and read them all the way through my 20s as well. So I've done all the older Marvel/DC stuff. I've dabbled since, so I read Kick Ass, had a go at Preacher.

Invincible looks a bit like Sky High - would that be fair? I love this Comixology thing where the first issue is often free

quote:

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1973
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 3:01:18 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

I never liked Daredevil or Spiderman comics. I should add re recs that I grew up reading US comics and read them all the way through my 20s as well. So I've done all the older Marvel/DC stuff. I've dabbled since, so I read Kick Ass, had a go at Preacher.

Invincible looks a bit like Sky High - would that be fair? I love this Comixology thing where the first issue is often free

Invincible is great! I loved the first couple of issues, and it's not like Sky High! It's way more fun! Also i too like ypu wasn't a big fan of Spiderman; however there's some really great Spidey comics i read recently and loved; Kraven's Last Hunt - which is arguably the greatest Spiderman story, and it isn't hard to see why. It's very dark and very layered psychologically. And the artwork is superb too. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0785134506/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364050326&sr=8-1&pi=SL75, it's highly recommended! Unlike Spidey however, i've always loved Daredevil. Frank Miller's run on it was my favourite (having said that, i've yet to read Mark Waid's stuff which has been getting rave reviews). Two of my fave Daredevil stories are ;
Born Again: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0785134816/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364050522&sr=8-1&pi=SL75 ,
and Man Without Fear; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0785134794/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364050603&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

You really should check them out when you have the time. If you're unwilling to fork out for them, try and see if your local library has any of them. Last time i checked my library had two copies of Born Again and Man Without Fear, each!

Edit: shit, i missed the first part of your post, elab. So the chances are you've probably read the ones i've mentioned already! Oh well...

And Comixology is definitely great 'cause you get to discover so many new comics! I love the app.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/3/2013 3:46:24 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1974
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 5:15:07 PM   
impqueen

quote:

It really is a fantastic thing they have.

I loved Spiderman early on in my comic adventures, I used to collect Spiderman (and X Men) but I've never really read Daredevil though I confess to being interested in Daredevil Yellow purely for aesthetic reasons.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1975
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 5:37:02 PM   
elab49

There's no harm in me trying a couple of your suggestions again though Nexus - they could have gotten lost in the mix first time around.

X Men was my core read too. X Factor, Excalibur etc.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1976
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 7:27:24 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

Invincible is the best ongoing superhero comic in years. Buy it.

Thanks for the help earlier, ordered from Boo Depository, delivery time is ages! Guess it will be next week now.

Not actually ages, but y'know. 3 to 5 working days, come on!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1977
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 7:48:06 PM   
furrybastard

There's an Invincible compendium that collects the first 46 issues or so of the series. I quite liked it at the beginning but it's a bit repetitive - a recurring problem in Kirkman's work - and the dialogue is often very on-the-nose. Definitely worth a look though; it has the feel of those earlier Marvel 60s comics but with lots more violence and gore!

I have the first three Mark Waid Daredevil trades to read. Heard nothing but great things. Daredevil has always had very impressive creative teams; I've yet to catch up on Bendis and Brubaker's noir crime runs. Hopefully will get to them soon.

quote:

I was interested enough in Private Eye to wait for the next issue.

And on my recommendations. Actually found some decent condition copies on the shelf in Waterstones yesterday so I bought The New Deadwardians and Daytripper (unsurprisingly my other online orders didn't make it today as the postie is probably frozen to a post box somewhere).

I really liked the world in The New Deadwardians. You could kind of see where the story was going but I ended it hoping to be able to read more which is a good thing.

I loved Daytripper, though, Such a wonderful piece of writing that had me near tears a couple of times. I'm not big on magical realism but this was just at the edge that doesn't irritate - brilliant recommendation, thank you

I think there was ample opportunities for more New Deadwardians but with DC gutting Vertigo from the inside out, it was launched as an eight issue mini-series and that was that. Definitely think there's more life in the series though The creative team are also behind the series Brass Sun in 2000AD.

Ah yes, Daytripper. A truly fantastic comic. One of the best of the last decade, if you ask me. I didn't realise it was out-of-print/hard to find; I actually lost my copy when I lent it to a friend who was travelling to France for a few weeks. I like to think it's out there in the world now, having been found by some stranger who passes it along to the next person. Oh well!

The creative team behind Daytripper are really fantastic. Gabriel BŠ is also the artist on The Umbrella Academy and both he and Fabio Moon share artistic duties on Matt Fraction's Casanova. I think they're producing a BPRD comic that's out soon too.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 1978
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 7:49:44 PM   
furrybastard

Oh and here's what I bought recently. My only regret is not buying the third and fourth volumes of Gotham Central when I had the chance. They've been snapped up since so I'll have to wait until they get more in some day.

EDIT: Oh look, it's my toe!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 23/3/2013 7:51:06 PM >

Post #: 1979
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/3/2013 8:16:11 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Lol! I once had my awful grey slipper get in one of my shots and i had to edit it FAST!

@Invader_ace; i love buying from The Book Depository but you're right, the downside is it takes bloody ages to dispatch and deliver. I'm buying the majority of my stuff from Amazon right now - who deliver really fast even on normal delivery. I remember ordering once, it got dispatched on the same day and delivered the next! But obviously with a big company like Amazon you'd expect fast service.

Post #: 1980
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI