Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 3/10/2012 10:42:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Sweet Tooth is freakin' fantastic! Enjoy!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/10/2012 10:45:57 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1741
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 4/10/2012 12:11:14 AM   
talpacino

Yeah I've heard good things about it. Looking forward to getting into it but it will have to wait a while. I've got unread stuff piling up.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1742
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 5/10/2012 9:32:51 PM   
Chojin

...as part of the Single Green Female graphic novel. Quite enjoying this lighthearted take on the MU. I really didn't think i'd like the art but it grew on me and the artist has a way of making a muscular green superhero sexy. Or maybe it's just me.

I also enjoyed the Spider-man centered storyline with lots of references to past stories

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1743
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 6/10/2012 8:53:52 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

...as part of the Single Green Female graphic novel. Quite enjoying this lighthearted take on the MU. I really didn't think i'd like the art but it grew on me and the artist has a way of making a muscular green superhero sexy. Or maybe it's just me.

I also enjoyed the Spider-man centered storyline with lots of references to past stories

Its not just you mate - I also think she's pretty hot!

I think I'm in love

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1744
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 6/10/2012 9:00:11 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I lent the first 5 TPB's for Garth Ennis' The Boys off a mate a couple of weeks back and started reading them last night. Bloody hell what a great read, I can't believe it's taken me till now to get into it. The concept is such a simple one (basically showing us who does indeed watch the watchmen) but it's brilliantly done with some wickedly deviant characters and a fantastic sense of humour. Ennis has an absolutely depraved mind but it makes for some really funny scenes. The Batman/Iron Man pastiche of Tek Knight was absolutely fantastic and I'm still laughing now at his imagined demise.

I really can't wait to get home so I can carry on reading, unfortunately I've only got 2 TPB's left to read and I wont see my mate to grab a few more off him till next weekend.

The Boys is an awesome series! I love the insane humour in it, not to mention Darick Robertson's artwork. Wait until you get to the later volumes!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1745
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 6/10/2012 9:39:04 AM   
sanchia

The Boys has just reached its final issue.

I purchased it on a whim on the recommendation of a friend. What a great comic. If only the book it was based on was not going for £42 for the paperback I may have bought that as a result.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 6/10/2012 10:08:51 AM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1746
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 6/10/2012 3:29:41 PM   
Chojin

Ordered a couple of days ago - the series takes up a huge amount of shelf space!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1747
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 7/10/2012 10:23:56 PM   
vad3r

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1748
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 9/10/2012 8:11:29 PM   
matthewforan

[image]http://instagram.com/p/QbzlT6pPpC/[/image]

Also the complete Ultimate Spider-Man collection, one of my favourite runs....

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 9/10/2012 8:12:54 PM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 1749
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 10/10/2012 12:17:58 PM   
jcthefirst

Kinda meh on this if I'm honest. Sort of fallen out of the comic reading mindset at the minute though; could be why.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1750
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 10/10/2012 7:17:44 PM   
Vadersville

Well, what did everyone think?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 1751
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 10/10/2012 11:09:42 PM   
furrybastard

Saga Volume 1

Chew Volume 5

Battle Hymn

And this behemoth, which looks absolutely amazing...

Building Stories by Chris Ware

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1752
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 1:09:04 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Good to see you again furry!

I know you told me Saga was out, but I think i'll need to hold out a little while longer as Amazon says it'll be released on the 23rd, which is a bummer.

One question though.....

Building Stories by Chris Ware

WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD IS THIS?!! 'cos that looks fucking awesome!

I need to find out about this cos that looks freakin' cool!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 11/10/2012 1:20:32 AM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1753
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 1:55:34 AM   
furrybastard

I guess Saga comes out a little earlier in North America than elsewhere. Same thing happened with the Prophet trade!

Some more info about Building Stories can be found here: http://www.metropulse.com/news/2012/oct/10/chris-ware-redefines-graphic-novel-building-storie/

quote:

The first thing you will notice about Building Stories (Pantheon) is its sheer size. The latest work from artist Chris Ware is encased in a box as big as the seat of a chair—11 1/2 inches wide, 16 1/2 inches long, 2 inches thick. It looks like a board game, and those of us with normal-sized bookshelves are going to be hard-pressed to figure out where to fit it in.

And so, at first, you might be tempted to think that the mammoth box is an unwieldy artistic gimmick, especially once you open it and find mini-comic strips, two books of different sizes, a cardboard tetraptych, a poster, booklets, a newspaper, and two broadsheet-sized comics.

It’s like a choose-your-own-adventure graphic novel, in which everyone’s experience with the text will by necessity be different. But unlike those novels of my childhood, which I liked in concept but always found incredibly frustrating to read, Building Stories is one of the most compelling and emotionally resonant works I have read in years.

Building Stories is, loosely, just that—a series of stories involving the tenants of one particular brownstone in Chicago in and around the year 2000. On the first floor, there is the owner, an elderly woman who has spent her whole life in the building. On the second floor is an unhappy couple. And on the third floor is the central protagonist of the work, a lonely one-legged florist struggling with her stalled artistic ambitions.

And a review from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/21/building-stories-chris-ware-review

If you're looking for something a little less pricey from Ware, I'd highly recommend Acme Novelty Library 20 or Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth trade collection. Looking forward to getting stuck into this. Where to start!!

Post #: 1754
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 8:04:49 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! That sounds like a truly unique reading experience! I've heard of Jimmy Corrigan for a while now, and its been on my list of must read comics for a while now. But Buillding Stories sounds so awesome I must own a copy! Then again, just like the reviewer states, I don't know where i'd store it! , its going for a quite reasonable price on Amazon and i'm very tempted! Thanks for bringing this to my attention furry, and the info aswell - you're a star mate!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1755
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 10:20:09 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Saga is going for a ridiculous £6.64 on Amazon. That's less than £1.11 an issue!! At that price I'm tempted to buy multiple copies and start handing them out to strangers on the street.

I bought AvX: Consequences (despite saying I wouldn't), Uncanny Avengers, Wolverine & The X-Men, Batman and Batman & Robin this week. So far I've read the first 3. Consequences is better than anything that happened in AvX although it is a tad heavy handed at times. Uncanny Avengers has got off to a promising start which is no real surprise with Remender at the helm and Wolverine and the X-Men was brilliant. Looking forward to reading the Bat titles on my lunch break .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1756
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 10:47:13 AM   
Vadersville

So... it was just me who read Batman 13 then?

Post #: 1757
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 11:08:43 AM   
Rob

Read it. Loved it. Thought it was creepy, well paced and sets the scene brilliantly.

Capullo and Synder are fast becoming one of my all time favourite creative teams who have worked on Batman.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 1758
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 1:01:40 PM   
Vadersville

I loved it too. I thought the way Bat's got knocked out at the end was a little silly and he ran into the trap headfirst without thinking but that's a minor niggle in an otherwise superb issue!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1759
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 1:11:23 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I loved it too. I thought the way Bat's got knocked out at the end was a little silly and he ran into the trap headfirst without thinking but that's a minor niggle in an otherwise superb issue!

I just read it over lunch and yeah I'd say the above is pretty much the only flaw/niggly story point that's even worth mentioning. Well, that and the fact that it seems only the Commisioner gets kitted with a torch at GCPD .

Great issue that hopefully sets the tone nicely for what's to come. Snyder is killing it at the moment, between this and Swamp Thing he's absolutely knocking it out of the park at DC. I've not read American Vampire but the quality of the rest of his work makes me want to.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 1760
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 1:27:20 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I just read it over lunch and yeah I'd say the above is pretty much the only flaw/niggly story point that's even worth mentioning. Well, that and the fact that it seems only the Commisioner gets kitted with a torch at GCPD .

Great issue that hopefully sets the tone nicely for what's to come. Snyder is killing it at the moment, between this and Swamp Thing he's absolutely knocking it out of the park at DC. I've not read American Vampire but the quality of the rest of his work makes me want to.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, that bugged me a little. I would have also preferred it if some of the other coppers had at least got a couple of shots off and the Joker had been more inventive than just breaking all their necks. But otherwise, superb!

Post #: 1761
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 3:29:14 PM   
Harry Tuttle

MILD SPOILERS FOR BATMAN #13

Does Batman RIP still fit into the New 52 continuity?

The reason I ask is because that's the only way Joker knew who Batman was right? I know it's been implied that the Joker has known his true identity for a while, but decided not to act because he only has eyes for Batman and not his alter ego, but Batman RIP is the only time we know for sure that he knows if you get what I mean.

Anyway, does anyone reckon there'll be any major casualties in this arc?

I'll be surprised if there's even a single physical casualty among the Bat family but I can see the Joker breaking a few people, psychologically at least. Gordon was already half way there at the beginning of the issue it seems, before Joker let loose that he knew Gordon hides his smokes under the bed, plus there's the whole crippling his daughter thing. Jason Todd would probably be another candidate. If the story quality remains this high throughout then I can't wait to find out.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 11/10/2012 3:36:49 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1762
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 3:45:19 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

MILD SPOILERS FOR BATMAN #13

Does Batman RIP still fit into the New 52 continuity?

The reason I ask is because that's the only way Joker knew who Batman was right? I know it's been implied that the Joker has known his true identity for a while, but decided not to act because he only has eyes for Batman and not his alter ego, but Batman RIP is the only time we know for sure that he knows if you get what I mean.

Anyway, does anyone reckon there'll be any major casualties in this arc?

I'll be surprised if there's even a single physical casualty among the Bat family but I can see the Joker breaking a few people, psychologically at least. Gordon was already half way there at the beginning of the issue it seems, before Joker let loose that he knew Gordon hides his smokes under the bed, plus there's the whole crippling his daughter thing. Jason Todd would probably be another candidate. If the story quality remains this high throughout then I can't wait to find out.

I'm pretty sure Batman R.I.P. is still in continuity yeah. Although some have suggested he could just be attacking Alfred because of Bruce's ties to Batman Batman Inc? Although it has to be said it seems Snyder is eager to sweep that under the rug and Batman Inc seems to be in a continuity of its own now.

I also doubt anyone will actually die. Simply because they all have their own titles now which seem to be selling no matter what the quality *cough*Red Hood and the Outlaws is shit*cough* I'm betting it will be more a death of the Bat family in that it will break them all apart. I did tweet Snyder and asked him if Death of the Family was purposely named after A Death in the Family, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet...
Gordon did seem to have a bit of an extreme reaction, but then The Joker did cripple (and its alluded to, rape) his daughter and kill his wife.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 11/10/2012 3:49:14 PM >

Post #: 1763
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 3:48:03 PM   
Vadersville

Also bought these two yesterday.

Haven't read Ame-Comi yet, it's more for the missus. But Legends of the Dark Knight was really good. Three, different stand alone stories set in their own canon but all really good reads!

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 11/10/2012 4:11:33 PM >

Post #: 1764
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 4:42:51 PM   
directorscut

Re-imagined with no right feet?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 1765
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/10/2012 8:21:26 PM   
sanchia

Or if Rob Liefeld no feet at all.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1766
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/10/2012 10:41:13 AM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

Sandman vol 2 - Doll's House

Courtney Crumrin

Coraline <3<3<3<3

Bleach vol 4 + 5 + 6

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 1767
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/10/2012 2:41:16 PM   
Chojin

Just ordered the below - my plan of holding out for a price at or below £40 finally paid off

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 1768
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 14/10/2012 1:47:50 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Just ordered the below - my plan of holding out for a price at or below £40 finally paid off

Sexy!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1769
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 18/10/2012 11:12:15 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Batman 13 looks excellent (still not gonna make me get all the cross overs Suicide Squad REALLY?)

Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI