Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/9/2012 9:59:49 PM   
Vadersville

This is a close second! I cannpt put into words how angry this two comics have made me. Joker planted Jason Todd to become Robin?????? Why are DC intent on fucking up characters so much!/

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1711
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/9/2012 11:08:03 PM   
sanchia

I have to admit this retcon has to be one of the worst ones ever. The universe no longer ties together and yet still they try to do crossovers which do not work and from one issue to another they seem to forget what the plot is (Grifter for example has him getting the mask after he has left special forces etc, in one of the year 00 comics he has his powers before he gained them as described in the early comic with his name on it and had the mask also, can they not even keep track of a plot which only happened less then a year ago?). It is a mess of the highest order. I gave up on red Hood and the Outlaws quite a while ago as it is pretty damned awful.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1712
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/9/2012 11:44:58 PM   
furrybastard

Dc need to relaunch the reboot. Or reboot the relaunch. Do something that doesn't suck anyway.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1713
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 21/9/2012 12:58:20 PM   
Vadersville

Agreed. This has been a fucking diaster! The laughable thing is the Zero issue month was the perfect oppurtnity for DC to make sense of all the nonsense and all they've done is fuck things up even more. I can't believe they can't keep continuity amongst one month's of comics. Several of this issue #0s contradict each other, where the hell is the Editorial team???

What's maddened me most though are the changes to Selina and Jason's stories. What on almighty fuck possessed them to adopt the Catwoman origin from Batman Returns? Now I like Batman and Batman Returns, but they're Burton's vision of Batman and a far cry away from the actual comics (Returns in particular), the brought back to life by cat licking is the most stupid aspect of the entire film so why oh why did they think it was a good thing to copy? And 20 years later! Why? I've read that DKR has boosted Catwoman's popularity so wouldn't it make more sense to take some inspiration from Nolan's take on the character.

It's also really odd considering that the new run has portrayed Catwoman as a more grounded small time jewel thief than the a big supervillian / anti-hero, so why now give her magical cat powers? Wait, in actual fact, in one of the earlier issues, Selina (oh, but that's not even her name anymore) explicity stated she hated Meta-humans! Now she is one? With nine lives! I can only assume that suddenly giving her powers is meant to justify her place on the upcoming Justice League of America. But still, utter, utter bollocks! And don't get me started on the whole Jason Todd being planted by The Joker to become Batman's new Robin!

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 21/9/2012 1:01:10 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1714
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 21/9/2012 4:01:36 PM   
sanchia

Essentially they have turned her into Wildcat from the JSA who was supposed to be a bloke with 9 lives.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1715
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 23/9/2012 9:57:34 PM   
indysgill

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1716
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 24/9/2012 4:02:01 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Had this delivered; Y THE LAST MAN: BOOK 2 (collecting vol. 3 & 4)

I have to say that these hardback deluxe editions are a really great way to collect Y. The paper quality is much better than the paperback, and complements Pia Guerra's superb artwork perfectly. Really looking forward to reading this.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1717
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 27/9/2012 9:31:22 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Woohoo! Drokkin' fantastic!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 27/9/2012 10:54:15 AM >

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1718
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 27/9/2012 7:13:49 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Woohoo! Drokkin' fantastic!

Pretty much the definitive early and modern Dredd tales right there. Enjoy!

Post #: 1719
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 28/9/2012 3:40:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I had vowed not to buy anything else until I'd bought the last volume of Knightfall and the remaining volumes of No Man's Land but I couldn't help myself. I had a quick preview look at Essex County and bought it without a second's hesitation, it looks amazing. Lost Dogs is going for 5.62 at amazon as well so I thought it'd be rude not to buy it at that price.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1720
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 28/9/2012 3:47:49 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I had vowed not to buy anything else until I'd bought the last volume of Knightfall and the remaining volumes of No Man's Land but I couldn't help myself. I had a quick preview look at Essex County and bought it without a second's hesitation, it looks amazing. Lost Dogs is going for 5.62 at amazon as well so I thought it'd be rude not to buy it at that price.

I just picked up the Essex County collection and Underwater Welder myself this week.

Also picked up volume 4 of Y: The last man and I said I'd give Ex Machina a go.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1721
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 28/9/2012 4:04:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I wish I could read The Underwater Welder for the first time again, it's such a great book. Off the back of Animal Man and Welder I think I'd buy pretty much anything with Lemire's name on it at the moment. I'm holding off buying Sweet Tooth as I can't really afford to catch up with it right now but it's definitely on my "To Buy" list. Once I've grabbed Knightfall Vol 3 that's me pretty much done with comics till after Xmas (not including my monthly titles and the 2 Graphic Novels I get from Hachette each month ).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1722
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 30/9/2012 1:40:15 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Picked these both up from a 2nd hand book shop for only 50p each!

Post #: 1723
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 1/10/2012 4:10:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Bought these both from Forbidden Planet today; SWEETH TOOTH VOL 1 (5.99) and JONAH HEX: WELCOME TO PARADISE (5.99), aswell as......

JUDGE DREDD: ORIGINS from H.M.V for a tenner (it was on sale at Amazon for 13.99 - so a bargain in my opinion!). Thats it, no more comics for me for the next month or so!

Post #: 1724
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 1/10/2012 6:42:13 PM   
sanchia

I would imagine you have a month or so of solid reading there as it is.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1725
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 1/10/2012 7:52:20 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I would imagine you have a month or so of solid reading there as it is.

Lol! Yeah I do! And i've still got Case Files 05 to finish aswell as America, and Y! So i'll be very busy indeed!

EDIT: Sanchia, have you read Alan Grant's Mazeworld? I saw it at Forbidden Planet and was very tempted to buy it. But I thought I could get a better price on Amazon (and I checked, and I was right, I save nearly 6). I just thought i'd ask seeing as you're quite well versed in the 2000AD universe!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 1/10/2012 7:56:45 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1726
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 1/10/2012 10:03:36 PM   
sanchia

Is that the one with Art by Arthur Ranson? i have to admit I have read it and remember it being visually stunning but cannot remember much about it but if memory served it was curtailed before it really answered a lot of the questions which were raised within the story.

Whilst on the subject of Arthur Ranson you should keep an eye out for Button Man which is another great 2000AD series with a real 1970's British film vibe to it.

It is essentially about rich backers who hire their own private hitmen to compete against each other whilst they bet on whom will win.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1727
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 1/10/2012 10:19:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Is that the one with Art by Arthur Ranson? i have to admit I have read it and remember it being visually stunning but cannot remember much about it but if memory served it was curtailed before it really answered a lot of the questions which were raised within the story.

Whilst on the subject of Arthur Ranson you should keep an eye out for Button Man which is another great 2000AD series with a real 1970's British film vibe to it.

It is essentially about rich backers who hire their own private hitmen to compete against each other whilst they bet on whom will win.

Yes, the art was by Arthur Ranson and it looked absolutely stunning! I spent a good few minutes just admiring the cover! I saw Button Man aswell, but seeing as I didn't know much about it, I had to leave it unfortunately. But i'll definitely add it for my future shopping list, alongside Maze World. Cheers!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 1/10/2012 10:23:11 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1728
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 2/10/2012 1:27:09 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! Don't worry guys, I haven't gone back on my word to not buy any comics this month! I received these free Prog's and Meg's in the mail today - by a very generous member over at 2000AD online! To say that I am thrilled is an understatement - I am fucking chuffed as hell! Some really nice variety there from over the years. I cannot wait to get stuck in!

Post #: 1729
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 2/10/2012 1:49:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

This arrived today, I had a quick look at it over lunch and I seriously cannot wait to get started. It's only short so I should power through it in no time at all but it looks fantastic. Granted, if you're not a fan of Lemire's style I can imagine it would look pretty rough but I love his art so, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

I also got another package off Hachette this month, which brings me pretty much up to date I think (I used to be 2 issues behind). I got Avengers Forever Part 2 and Secret War. Unfortunately I didn't really think that much of Avengers Forever Part 1 (some nice ideas but poorly executed) so I'm not particularly looking forward to Part 2. As well as that I've already read Secret War fairly recently and the version I read had a bit more content than the Hachette version. The story's alright but Gabriele Dell'Otto's art style doesn't really do it for me on this ocassion. I quite like Dell'Otto's work but I don't think this story suits his style.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1730
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 2/10/2012 2:39:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

This arrived today, I had a quick look at it over lunch and I seriously cannot wait to get started. It's only short so I should power through it in no time at all but it looks fantastic. Granted, if you're not a fan of Lemire's style I can imagine it would look pretty rough but I love his art so, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

I also got another package off Hachette this month, which brings me pretty much up to date I think (I used to be 2 issues behind). I got Avengers Forever Part 2 and Secret War. Unfortunately I didn't really think that much of Avengers Forever Part 1 (some nice ideas but poorly executed) so I'm not particularly looking forward to Part 2. As well as that I've already read Secret War fairly recently and the version I read had a bit more content than the Hachette version. The story's alright but Gabriele Dell'Otto's art style doesn't really do it for me on this ocassion. I quite like Dell'Otto's work but I don't think this story suits his style.

I hope you enjoy reading that Harry! Talking of Lemire, I finished reading Sweet Tooth volume 1 last night and was absolutely blown away by it! Seriously mate, when you buy your next set of comics I advise you to buy it without fail! I know like me you're a huge fan of The Underwater Welder, well Sweet Tooth could most probably be up there with that! Its that good. I cannot wait to read the other volumes.

Post #: 1731
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 2/10/2012 10:35:36 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

Yes, the art was by Arthur Ranson and it looked absolutely stunning! I spent a good few minutes just admiring the cover! I saw Button Man aswell, but seeing as I didn't know much about it, I had to leave it unfortunately. But i'll definitely add it for my future shopping list, alongside Maze World. Cheers!

Button Man is fantastic, particularly the first two series.

Mazeworld is ok. It's been a long time since I've read it but the art is incredible and the story starts out really well (if I recall correctly, it's about a man on death row who - as he's hung - is transported to a weird fantasy world and goes around with the hangman's hood and noose on him the whole time). I think it struggles in the second series as maybe it had to wrap things up faster than Grant had wanted.

Absolutely pick up Button Man if you come across it. It's actually out of print and quite hard to find on Amazon/Book Depository. I presume with the movie seemingly on the go again, we can expect new editions soon enough but presumably Rebellion/Wagner are waiting for the official word to capitalise on news of the film (which will apparently be made by Nicholas Winding Refn and possibly starring Ryan Gosling as Harry Exton)

Post #: 1732
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 2/10/2012 10:37:36 PM   
sanchia

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1733
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 2/10/2012 11:04:11 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

quote:

Button Man is fantastic, particularly the first two series.

Mazeworld is ok. It's been a long time since I've read it but the art is incredible and the story starts out really well (if I recall correctly, it's about a man on death row who - as he's hung - is transported to a weird fantasy world and goes around with the hangman's hood and noose on him the whole time). I think it struggles in the second series as maybe it had to wrap things up faster than Grant had wanted.

Absolutely pick up Button Man if you come across it. It's actually out of print and quite hard to find on Amazon/Book Depository. I presume with the movie seemingly on the go again, we can expect new editions soon enough but presumably Rebellion/Wagner are waiting for the official word to capitalise on news of the film (which will apparently be made by Nicholas Winding Refn and possibly starring Ryan Gosling as Harry Exton)

The guy on the cover art looks like Brian Dennehy!

Your'e absolutely correct about the Mazeworld storyline furry, I checked it out online and it sounds awesome! I think going on the advice by you guys, these are the top 3 list of 2000AD books I need to buy;

Button Man
Leviathan
Maze World

And of course, Nikolai Dante. Theres a couple of book's I saw at Forbidden Planet on ND, but seeing as i'm not familiar with the character I didn't know which one to get. I know its a must read along with the ones i've mentioned!

EDIT: oh and furry, you were totally correct about Judge Dredd America being the best Judge Dredd story; I just finished reading it (the first story in the book) and was freakin' BLOWN away by it! The beautifully painted artwork by Colin Macneil, and Wagner's beautifully poignant story - it is quite possibly the most 'perfect' graphic novel i've read! By the end I had a tear in my eye, and I wanted to read it again. I'll do a write up in the other thread soon. Thanks for recommending it mate!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 2/10/2012 11:17:00 PM >

Post #: 1734
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 2/10/2012 11:50:29 PM   
Zaphod121

Looking forward to cracking this open.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 1735
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 3/10/2012 4:25:56 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

EDIT: oh and furry, you were totally correct about Judge Dredd America being the best Judge Dredd story; I just finished reading it (the first story in the book) and was freakin' BLOWN away by it! The beautifully painted artwork by Colin Macneil, and Wagner's beautifully poignant story - it is quite possibly the most 'perfect' graphic novel i've read! By the end I had a tear in my eye, and I wanted to read it again. I'll do a write up in the other thread soon. Thanks for recommending it mate!

Glad you enjoyed it, Nexus! It's probably my favourite comic ever and had a real affect on me when I read it at the tender age of 16 or thereabouts. Previously I'd always seen Dredd as an anti-hero; it wasn't until America that I saw that the system he was a part of is the true villain of the story and Dredd's the blind man leading the blind, so to speak. It's interesting reading through the Case Files over the last few years and seeing Wagner planting the seeds for this in stories like Letter from a Democrat. 35 years (and counting!) of character development is a very impressive feat. I think America marks an evolution of the character and strip that continues to this day in 2000AD.

quote:

And of course, Nikolai Dante. Theres a couple of book's I saw at Forbidden Planet on ND, but seeing as i'm not familiar with the character I didn't know which one to get. I know its a must read along with the ones i've mentioned!

I think The Romanov Dynasty is the first trade. Nikolai Dante is one of the best stories 2000AD has ever published in its history (and I've yet to read the last series of it which is just driving me crazy!).

EDIT: List of trades here: http://www.2000adonline.com/books/nikolai_dante_romanov_dynasty.php

quote:

Your'e absolutely correct about the Mazeworld storyline furry, I checked it out online and it sounds awesome! I think going on the advice by you guys, these are the top 3 list of 2000AD books I need to buy;

Button Man
Leviathan
Maze World

I'd go with Button Man, Leviathan and maybe something like Nikolai Dante, Lowlife (featuring the brilliant Dirty Frank, an undercover Judge based on none other than Alan Moore!) or Shakara (one of the craziest strips 2000AD has published in a long, long time). I'd like to give Mazeworld a re-read at some point but its not the most celebrated series from the 2000AD archives. If you're looking for more classic material, check out the Strontium Dog Agency Files series (as with Dredd, the first is only ok but it really kicks off with Files 2 and 3), Halo Jones (one of Alan Moore's best works!) or Bad Company (a personal favourite of mine!).

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 3/10/2012 4:54:36 AM >

Post #: 1736
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 3/10/2012 10:51:44 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Thanks furry! Your advice is invaluable as always and i've made a note of those book!

EDIT: i've just finished reading Prog 1650 (which was part of the freebies I received above), and part one of Shakara was in there! I really enjoyed that! I'll see if theres a TPB available! I also read Tour of Duty part 1, really great Prog!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/10/2012 11:27:58 AM >

Post #: 1737
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 3/10/2012 2:00:03 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I lent the first 5 TPB's for Garth Ennis' The Boys off a mate a couple of weeks back and started reading them last night. Bloody hell what a great read, I can't believe it's taken me till now to get into it. The concept is such a simple one (basically showing us who does indeed watch the watchmen) but it's brilliantly done with some wickedly deviant characters and a fantastic sense of humour. Ennis has an absolutely depraved mind but it makes for some really funny scenes. The Batman/Iron Man pastiche of Tek Knight was absolutely fantastic and I'm still laughing now at his imagined demise.

I really can't wait to get home so I can carry on reading, unfortunately I've only got 2 TPB's left to read and I wont see my mate to grab a few more off him till next weekend.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1738
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 3/10/2012 7:30:47 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I'd go with Button Man, Leviathan and maybe something like Nikolai Dante, Lowlife (featuring the brilliant Dirty Frank, an undercover Judge based on none other than Alan Moore!) or Shakara (one of the craziest strips 2000AD has published in a long, long time). I'd like to give Mazeworld a re-read at some point but its not the most celebrated series from the 2000AD archives. If you're looking for more classic material, check out the Strontium Dog Agency Files series (as with Dredd, the first is only ok but it really kicks off with Files 2 and 3), Halo Jones (one of Alan Moore's best works!) or Bad Company (a personal favourite of mine!).

Personally I found Shakara a bit light in that it was very, very limited in plot. Nice art though.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1739
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 3/10/2012 8:37:34 PM   
talpacino

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1740
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI