Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 29/8/2012 1:39:22 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Just picked up Vol 1 of this; looking forward to it.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1681
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 1/9/2012 2:44:49 PM   
Chojin

won a bid for this - 1.76 including P+P

quite happy - some of the prices people are asking for their collections are just stupid, they are never going to sell for the prices they're asking for. They don't seem to realise the UK Editions have next to no monetary value and are purely for reading enjoyment.

I'm still hunting for large lots but people seem to think that asking 120+ for 60 issues is acceptable - it's just under the original cover price!

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 1682
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 3/9/2012 10:08:35 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Y THE LAST MAN DELUXE HARDCOVER BOOK 1

Just had this delivered earlier. (collecting vol 1 and 2)

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/9/2012 10:11:19 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1683
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 4/9/2012 11:45:23 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm going to have to get in on some Y The Last Man action methinks. Vaughan's work on Saga is the best thing on the shelves at the moment so I'm keen to start getting into his other work. I need to finish collecting Batman No Man's Land and Knightfall first though.

Too many comics...

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1684
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 4/9/2012 12:53:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I'm going to have to get in on some Y The Last Man action methinks. Vaughan's work on Saga is the best thing on the shelves at the moment so I'm keen to start getting into his other work. I need to finish collecting Batman No Man's Land and Knightfall first though.

Too many comics...

I concur..waaaaay too many!

One of the reason's I wanted to collect/read Y The Last Man is because I cannot wait to read the first TPB of Saga! And seeing as Y is another of Vaughan's accomplished sci-fi masterwork's I decided to fork out for those too. My plan is to slowly collect all the hardcover volumes, an expensive proposition but one i'm willing to take. Also if you think about it, a paperback trade of Y is around 7.00 to 8.00 cheapest, and i'm more or less paying for two volumes at the same rate (i bought the above for 15.00) but hardcover and oversized versions so i'm quite happy with that!

You're lucky to have read Saga mate because I just cannot wait!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 4/9/2012 9:35:49 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1685
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 5/9/2012 3:32:08 PM   
Vadersville

I hated the newly rebooted Justice League title at first but after randomly reading Issue 8, I actually really enjoyed it. So I decided to give it a second chance... and completley forgot all about it. So with my girlfriend ranting about this supposedly controversial pair-up of Superman and Wonderwoman (She prefers Bats with Wonders...) I was reminded to go back and read issues 8-12. And I have to say, I really enjoyed it! The plot with Graves was wrapped up way too fast and neat but I like the way this arc has set-up the upcoming story with the World losing faith in the JL and it seems my theory on the new JLA, simply being a government sanctioned League might have been correct. Although, again some odd choices. I get Green Arrow as he was already offered a place at the end of issue 8 and I get Steve Trevor now that he's been rejected by Diana and sacked as the regular JL's liason. But Catwoman??? In the new continuity she's just a small time burgular and thief, why would she even be on the governments radar, and why would they consider to be a member of a team to rival the JL? The pairing of Superman and Wonder Woman doesn't come across as forced as I thought despite the fact any previous hints of romance between them are only present in the earlier pages of Issue12 itself. The kiss seems to come more out of a mutal feeling of isolation more than an actual attraction and I think that again i might be on the money about where this might lead. If the government are already concerned about the League members having too much power, how are they going to react to the news two of them might be able to conceive super-powered offspring? (I also suspect this might have been a deciding factor in the tweak to Wonder's origin, as she couldn't have children in the pre-DCnU continuity I believe.) Also, the "trailer" page for what will be coming in Justice League 2012 made me laugh.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 1686
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 8/9/2012 11:05:24 AM   
Nexus Wookie

At last!

After months of waiting, waiting and more waiting I finally had Prophet Vol. 1: Remission delivered today! And I must confess that I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT TO GET STARTED!

Post #: 1687
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 8/9/2012 11:32:34 PM   
furrybastard

Hope you enjoy it, Nexus. I'm expecting mine to arrive by Monday or Tuesday. It's actually been on sale here in Canada for two or three weeks (books get released a little earlier in North America than Europe, apparently!) so from now on, I'll likely refrain from Book Depository until I get back to Ireland.

Bought these a few days ago...

Also: Fables volume 1 to 7.

Post #: 1688
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 9/9/2012 2:09:06 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Yeah cheers furry, I am enjoying it very much as it goes. Just finished the first issue - some very beautiful imagery. Absolutely breath-taking artistic renderings of a future earth, with arid desert plains and strange. Alien creatures roaming this hostile environment. If you remember it was the artwork which got me interested in this series, thank's to you posting some snapshot's of the comic in one of your posts.

Awesome stuff!

EDIT: just saw your last line furry, you must have quite a collection now! (read: MASSIVE!) My question is when you return back to Ireland will you leave them there or bring them over? I'd hate to load my beloved comics up in a briefcase lest it gets damaged!

Where's petecriss8000? If you're reading this mate, then come back! The Shack misses your input!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 9/9/2012 11:32:47 AM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1689
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 9/9/2012 12:08:53 PM   
Vadersville

I rather quite enjoyed this. Although I really wish they would leave off date stamps. They just tie themselves up in knots and make continuity fuck up after fuck up. Hell, they even mess up within a few pages. We see Bruce accepted for training then it cuts to "Six months later", but within a few pages, and no further date stamp, Bruce states that he has been there training for nine months. D'oh! The Back Up story explicity states that Bruce returned to Gotham seven years ago, meaning that he was Batman for 2 years before the Five Years Ago of Justice League's first arc. This makes things a bit better as it was stupid, trying to cram all of Batman's career into five years but not much better (e.g. Damian is still somehow 10 years old...).

But anyway the two stories both have a real Batman Begins feel to them, particularly the Back Up story. Which of course is no bad thing. The new DCnU also seems to have adopted Begins' take that Alfred stayed at Wayne Manor while Bruce travelled the world and had no idea where he had gone or if he was stil alive. The main story actually reminded me a lot of the Batman Animated Series in the few episodes where we saw glimses of his training although in here it's more about what he learns from the experience rather than the actual lessons of this sensai. A few things didn't settle well with me, for instance, Bruce saying that he feels the sensai and his wife are like parents to him! What the hell, this is Bruce towards the end of his training and he suddenly feels a fatherly bond with an old man he's only known for a few months who is an absolutle dick to him. The cloud watching scene also made me cringe, but then they turned it round for me with Bruce seeing a string of pearls. Overall great stuff, although the ending is a bit rushed.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 9/9/2012 10:46:26 PM >

Post #: 1690
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/9/2012 12:11:28 PM   
Harry Tuttle

It's been a great week. All the above were fantastic.

I'm really surprised at how kick ass the new Hawkeye monthly is, Fraction's writing is absolutely fantastic and it looks stunning. Also surprised at how much I enjoyed the above issue #0's. Some of the stuff in Animal Man seemed a tad superfluous but between it and Swamp Thing they really ramped up the anticipation for Rotworld. The Swamp Thing issue in particular seemed to be more of a back story for Arcane, which was fantastic. My only real complaint would be that Yanick Paquette's artwork was sorely missed. Kano did a stellar job filling in but Paquette has made the Swamp Thing his own now and his absence is easily noticeable.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 11/9/2012 3:01:51 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1691
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/9/2012 6:31:41 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

EDIT: just saw your last line furry, you must have quite a collection now! (read: MASSIVE!) My question is when you return back to Ireland will you leave them there or bring them over? I'd hate to load my beloved comics up in a briefcase lest it gets damaged!

It's a question I've been asking myself too, Nexus! I have a pretty large collection back home and I've ended up buying quite a bit over here with all the brilliant second-hand/cheap booksshops around. Not sure yet what I'll do; most likely I'll try and figure a way to bring them back with me!

Post #: 1692
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 13/9/2012 10:21:55 PM   
Vadersville

Decided to read this to see if they address the whole paralysis recovery/ time as Oracle issue. Short answer? No, they don't. It's an okay origin story for Babs as Batgirl in the DCnU, but heavy-handed and on the nose. I haven't read Snyder's pre-reboot stuff but i know there's one where Jim has a long lost son who is a baddy. he's here, and he's really annoying, as are the constant references to his future as a baddy. plus isn't it wierd that Babs was named after her mother Barbara and James Junior was named after their father, Jim. Not very imaginitive parents, are they? The main problem with this story is that its so obvious. As soon as she goes to the GCPD you know she's looking to find stuff out about batman and as soon as her father tells an officer to look after her you know somethings going to go wrong and as soon as they introduce the mock-up Bat suit you know that Babs is going to wear it!

A few things athat wound me up the wrong way. Babs costume before she got paralysed is now missing its cowl and has a silly little domino mask, in fact she looks the spit of the "F*cking Batgirl" from Miller's Allstar Batman and Robin. I don't like it. Also, this origin story happens 4 years ago, so according to JL Batman would have already saved the world from Darkseid and would have been in the public eye, yet here both Babs and the GCPD still refer to him as an urban legend or myth. DC, you continually piss me off with these fuck-ups. You rebooted and condensed everything to make continuity more accessible and linear and you can't even keep the post reboot events in order! The other thing is the big splash page of Batman, Batgirl and Robin. The costume looks like a wierd hybrid of Grayson and Drake's pre Red and Black costume but who the heck is this Robin? is he Grayson, that would make some sense because he was the Robin most associated with bab's tenure as Batgirl, but then this is only set three years ago (the story jumps to one year after the main story for the last few pages), so surely it would be Drake, even with the condensed timeline? Does that mean that Babs and Grayson were never Batgirl and Robin together then? The costume confusion doesn't end there either because like all the post reboot comics, this shows Bats wearing the same costume he wears in present day DCnU. This continues to annoy me as past comics always made some attempt to acknowledge the changes through the modern era at least, but whats really odd here is the mock-up batsuit has the bat symbol in a yellow oval whereas in the new DCnU Bats has never worn a costume like this now. Apparenly The Killing Joke still happened (I seem to remember the shooting being referenced in one panel in Batgirl #1) but Babs was only Batgirl for a year before she was paralysed.

EDIT: I got so wound up that i forgot to mention the problems I had with the story. Way too much is left dangling, more questions are asked/raised then answered. At one point, Babs starts to explain why she retired as Batgirl prior to being paralysed by The Joker but then says, A story for another time. that's the main problem with this issue. We're just given bullet points and not an actual full story.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 13/9/2012 10:34:38 PM >

Post #: 1693
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 13/9/2012 11:08:47 PM   
Vadersville

Same problem as Batwing #0 we've already seen Damian's origin in the last couple of years and this is just expanding on that in ways that are neither interesting nor necessary. One thing it has cleared up is that Damian was only in the artificial womb for 9 months and not, as others have suggested, had his aging artifically sped up. Now, part of me is happy, I never liked the idea of his aging being accelerated, it's just lazy writing. But, in the new DCnU, this causes significant continuity problems. Detective Comics #0 established that in the new continuity Bruce has been Bats for 7 years. But here the son that he conceived whilst as Batman is 10 years old. Yeah...
this issue also highlights how needlessly complicated Damian's origin is. Why did Talia put him in an artifical womb? It seems like a lame trick to try and make the character more cool. Or perhaps it was to explain why talia never looked pregnant? I don't know. It's just never sat right with me, Anyway, basically all we have here is a series of random panels in which a little boy beats up ninjas and then gets beaten up by a fully gorwn woman who repeatedly says "Happy birthday. You lose." Then we end on the scene from Batman and Son, with slightly amended dialogue and a panel straight out of that comic but not as well drawn. Yawn!

Post #: 1694
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 14/9/2012 11:23:02 PM   
BudBaxter

Just ordered Absolute Batman: Dark Victory from Amazon as it's half price at the moment.

Haven't read it since the individual issues came out back in 1999/2000. Quite excited to dive in again. I do love Tim Sale's art.

Post #: 1695
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/9/2012 12:31:48 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Yes, Tim Sales' art is something else entirely. His work on The Long Halloween was some of the best stuff i've ever had the previlage of laying my eyes on! Very stylised and very noirish.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 1696
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/9/2012 2:29:09 AM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Got to pick that up I really enjoyed issue 1.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1697
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/9/2012 3:47:36 AM   
furrybastard

Hawkeye is pretty damn good alright. Hopefully they can keep this team on the book longer than three or four issues, which seems to be the standard length of team for a consistent creative team for most of their comics these days.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1698
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/9/2012 7:18:53 AM   
Chojin

gap filler from Ebay

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1699
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/9/2012 2:07:31 PM   
Vadersville

MASSIVE POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR UPCOMING BATMAN STORY!

Hmmm. Still not sure what to make of this. At the moment, having read in just seconds ago, I don't think I like it. Interestingly, the only zero issue I have really enjoyed so far has been one for a title I've hated since the DCnU began. So what the big problem with this issue, well for one, it's not even a real story. Just a tease that never really gets off the ground before ending in an unsatisfying "To Be Continued in 2013..." which means it's not even going to be addressed in the next couples of issues. Although that said, it's made clear who the head of this Red Hood gang is going to become. For some reason the pill shaped helmet only covers 3/4s of his head so we constantly get a nice view of his contorted grin and a flower on his jacket is made the focus of more than one panel. Some will no doubt scratch their heads and ask how does this fit with The Killing Joke which has been confirmed as still canon? Well, in all fairness, The Joker did say that he remembers it different every time and isn't even sure how much is true anymore. My biggest problem is the Red Hood leader here seems to be The Joker already in all but name which means that he was always this way and that for me, kinda takes away from the character. I'm not saying we need a definite origin for him, in fact i would rather have no origin and just leave it a mystery.

The opening of this isssue is the strongest part and there is something very horrific about the way Red Hood Leader casually points out that everyone around them is already dead. It's also cool to see Bruce doing some undercover work with the gang before he's adopted the Batman persona. But that in itself causes a bit of a continuity cock-up. In Detective Comics #0 we saw Bruce return home seven years ago. Which made the new Batman timeline a little better than the 5 years they had seemingly crammed it into. Only here, this story is set 6 years ago and Bruce still hasn't become Batman yet. Not only that, but Gordon explicity states that Bruce has been back in gotham three months... So this doesn't even fit with Detective Comics #0 that was printed the week before! The cock-up continues when you read the back story set 5 years ago (so arround the time of Justice League's first arc), Gordon refers to Batman as a myth, a legend. Fair enough, so this is obviously before he came into the public eye defeating Darkseid with the other super heroes. But then, Gordon refers to the events of Batgirl #0 with Babs meeting Batman as a week ago, when that issue was set 4 years ago! Is Gordon psychic? Can he see the future? Or are DC fucking up monumentally with keeping a consistent continuity within their current comics yet alone the already established history?

I also found it wierd seeing Grayson, Drake and Todd all around the same age at the same time. And wait a sec, how old is Babs? In Batgirl #0 she's clealry mid to late teens, and she looks about the same in the back-up story, but Grayson looks and reads more like 12. Isn't he supposed to be the around the same age as Babs? In fact, oddly Todd looks the oldest out of all of the future Robins. Which reminds me, I am so confused. Did Todd kill that guy, or just beat him up? And was that Police Officer arresting him or letting him go? Overall though I preferred the back-Up story to the main one. At least it was a complete story and the idea of all the future Robins looking up and seeing the Bat signal for the first time I thought was quite an inspired idea.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1700
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/9/2012 2:42:06 PM   
directorscut

^ What the heck is up with his right leg. Some seriously messed up proportions there.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 1701
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/9/2012 2:58:33 PM   
sanchia

I read the Deathstroke 0 issue (a friend was given it free when he bought a few other comics) and the art in that is hilarious. It is like a 15 year old has drawn it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1702
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 16/9/2012 10:06:42 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I read the Deathstroke 0 issue (a friend was given it free when he bought a few other comics) and the art in that is hilarious. It is like a 15 year old has drawn it.

Couldn't agree more. Thank **** it's the last issue Liefeld is leaving his stink on.

It's a shame he didn't leave one issue earlier, as the story in issue 0 had the potential to be quite interesting.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1703
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 16/9/2012 10:09:46 AM   
sanchia

It was the manner in which every panel was static, and all the heads didn't fit on the bodies, and the way it appeared to have been drawn in biro (and the lack of perspective) and the poorly drawn bodies, and the... let's just say Leifield. I think the fact that the online comic place my friend buys his comics from was giving it away free with multiple purchases also says quite a bit.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 1704
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 16/9/2012 3:07:55 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Crikey!,that brings me back to my youth.
I used to collect the series,along with the Spiderman releases, every month.
I think I have a whole box of them in my loft.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1705
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 16/9/2012 7:17:32 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

If you're looking to pass them on at a cheap price let me know! ;)

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1706
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 17/9/2012 2:20:10 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

If you're looking to pass them on at a cheap price let me know! ;)

That means I need to go up into the loft.

I see what I can find.I literally had loads of them,but mainly the Spidey issues.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1707
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 19/9/2012 6:02:23 PM   
Chojin

gap filler :)

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1708
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 19/9/2012 6:48:54 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Lol,I've got that in my hand now.
Romita's work is great.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1709
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 20/9/2012 9:41:14 PM   
Vadersville

Single worst issue of any comic I have read EVER! I seriously cannpt believe they retconned Selina's origin to the whole getting thrown out of a building and then llicked by cats until she's brought back to life with 9 lives! WHAT. THE. FUCK?!!

Post #: 1710
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI