Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 7/8/2012 9:03:57 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: steflon

....was not expecting that, book two is already in the post!

It's great isn't it? I wasn't sure what to expect but once I picked it up I couldn't put it down! Can't wait to read Volume 2.

Morning Glories is very good. Not a huge fan of the interior art however. Sometimes it works for me and other times I think I hate it!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 1651
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 8/8/2012 9:53:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire

You'll have to let me know your thoughts on that furry, I've been eying it up myself. I read most of Lemire's current run on Animal Man over the weekend and wasreally impressed. I've heard really good things about Sweet Tooth as well so I may start picking up the trades for that too.

I liked it a lot. It feels in some ways like a thematic sequel to Lemire's Essex County so it's definitely worth a read, though The Nobody is still my personal favourite of his works. A lot of the ideas in TUW are similar to a lot of his other work, the father/son relationship, isolation etc. and the artwork is incredible. Sweet Tooth is well worth a read; the first trade is relatively slight in terms of story (you'll tear through it pretty quickly, probably only stopping to take a good look at his art!) but later volumes are more substantial. The last third of The Underwater Welder has some great creepy moments too.

I'm still reading Animal Man but it's been treading water for a while now as it takes its time building up to the RotWorld crossover. At the talk I attended last weekend, Lemire said Frankenstein: Agent of Shade - which I'd been really liking and is still very enjoyable now that Matt Kindt has taken over writing duties - is pretty close to being cancelled by DC and plans are for Frank to join Justice League Dark. Lemire also mentioned he's a new series for Vertigo planned once Sweet Tooth finishes up and a couple of other projects that he's not allowed to talk about (one of which will feature lots of female characters, as Lemire feels he needs to get better at drawing them!)

just ordered this from Amazon!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1652
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 8/8/2012 10:37:09 PM   
Zaphod121

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1653
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 9/8/2012 2:32:38 PM   
talpacino

I picked up a few issues of the AvX stuff, only read the prelude so far, I think it's the prelude, the cover with Scarlet Witch and Hope on it. Eeek, I hope it gets better than that.

Picked up the first volume of Preacher too. Looking forward to getting into that.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 1654
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 9/8/2012 2:39:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

I picked up a few issues of the AvX stuff, only read the prelude so far, I think it's the prelude, the cover with Scarlet Witch and Hope on it. Eeek, I hope it gets better than that.

Picked up the first volume of Preacher too. Looking forward to getting into that.

I've been really disappointed with AvX to be honest. Of the 9 issues so far there are probably 3 decent ones. The problem for me is that straight off the bat they make the X-Men leadership so hateful it's nigh on impossible to side with them. I have more issues than that but I can't really get into them without entering spoiler territory.

The tie ins are much better. X-Men Legacy, New Mutants, New Avengers, Avengers Academy and Wolverine & the X-Men have been great during the event. It's just a shame the core series has been, for the most part, weak.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 9/8/2012 2:43:07 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1655
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 9/8/2012 2:44:25 PM   
talpacino

Cool, I'll look into some of that stuff. I haven't bought new X-men stuff in ages so I was kind of excited picking these up.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1656
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 9/8/2012 8:31:15 PM   
furrybastard

These cheap bookstores are ridiculous!

Fables Volumes 1 - 4
||
||

----------

Empowered Vol. 3 & 4
||

----------

20th Century Boys Volumes 1 - 3
|| ||

----------

Blade of the Immortal Volumes 1 & 2
||

----------

Berlin Books 1 & 2
||

----------

Alan Moore: Complete WildC.A.T.S.

----------

The Sixth Gun Vol. 1

----------

The Umbrella Academy Volumes 1 & 2
||

----------

Daredevil Vol. 1

----------

Codeflesh

----------
Aaaaaand two actual comics!

Godzilla: The Half-Century War #1 by James Stokoe

----------

The Creep #0

Post #: 1657
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/8/2012 8:13:49 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just had this delivered this morning; had a flick through and the artwork is absolutely brilliant! (It reminded me of William Blake's beautiful line drawing's)

I cannot wait to get started!

Post #: 1658
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/8/2012 8:32:49 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Just had this delivered this morning; had a flick through and the artwork is absolutely brilliant! (It reminded me of William Blake's beautiful line drawing's)

I read that during the week and it's brilliant. I'll be ordering my own copy come payday, I absolutely have to own a copy. Like you say, the artwork is immense and the story is really, really good. I could see it being adapted into a great film in the right hands (not Lindelof please, I don't care if he does the introduction, his style is the exact opposite to what this story would require).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 1659
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/8/2012 10:02:17 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

I read that during the week and it's brilliant. I'll be ordering my own copy come payday, I absolutely have to own a copy. Like you say, the artwork is immense and the story is really, really good. I could see it being adapted into a great film in the right hands (not Lindelof please, I don't care if he does the introduction, his style is the exact opposite to what this story would require).

It's funny cos' when I went to the book launch here in Toronto, Lemire said he never really watched the Twilight Zone and didn't understand why so many people were comparing it to a TZ episode! I'm actually watching the first season (the 50s version) at the moment and it is reminiscent of one or two episodes, particularly the segment where the main character is dreaming and wandering through an empty town.

Lemire recently illustrated an issue of the online Legends of the Dark Knight that was written by Damon Lindelof and I really enjoyed it.

If you liked The Underwater Welder, I'd recommend picking up Lemire's The Nobody as well. Essex County is his most famous work next to Sweet Tooth but The Nobody is my personal favourite. You should be able to pick it up pretty cheap too!

Post #: 1660
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/8/2012 10:08:06 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Its a really handsome package too! I love the flaps at the end of the covers - just like From Hell!

Post #: 1661
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 11/8/2012 10:12:17 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

It's funny cos' when I went to the book launch here in Toronto, Lemire said he never really watched the Twilight Zone and didn't understand why so many people were comparing it to a TZ episode! I'm actually watching the first season (the 50s version) at the moment and it is reminiscent of one or two episodes, particularly the segment where the main character is dreaming and wandering through an empty town.

Lemire recently illustrated an issue of the online Legends of the Dark Knight that was written by Damon Lindelof and I really enjoyed it.

If you liked The Underwater Welder, I'd recommend picking up Lemire's The Nobody as well. Essex County is his most famous work next to Sweet Tooth but The Nobody is my personal favourite. You should be able to pick it up pretty cheap too!

Thanks for the recommendation's furry! I'll definitely check Sweet Tooth and Essex County after i've finished this. As for Lemire's artwork - its absolutely stunning! It might not be to everyone's liking but I have to say I LOVE IT!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 11/8/2012 10:16:30 PM >

Post #: 1662
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 12/8/2012 5:00:55 PM   
vad3r

I've taken advantage of Amazon's graphic novel sale and free next day delivery. The only other comic books I've read/own in my life is the Walking Dead omnibus and Scott Pilgrim.

Anyone know when a Buffy omnibus is coming out??

< Message edited by vad3r -- 12/8/2012 5:31:59 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 1663
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 14/8/2012 3:03:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Picked this Marvel Pocketbook up for a fiver from FOYLES bookstore in Stratford, London. They hade a few other titles including Spiderman, but seeing as i've not read too many Iron Man titles I thought i'd give it a read. I've read some good reviews about this story.

You know the price of some of the stuff in there, graphic novels in particular is fucking mindboggling! I saw Habibi, retailing for 22.00 (2 MORE than the actual retail price), and I picked the same book up from Amazon for only a tenner! You'd have to have deep pocket's to buy comics from there! Thank god for online shopping!

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 1664
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/8/2012 7:29:24 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

Furry, do you have any idea as to when the hell we're going to get this delivered? When I made the pre-order it said 33 days to go, well that is well over now, and when I go into my account, all it say's is 'unavailable'? Do you have any idea as to what The Book Depository are playing at? I'd love to hear if you're in a similar position. In the mean time,, I think i'll e-mail them. I've been waiting for so long to get it delivered its bloody frustrating!

Just a quick update on this. Image's website has been updated with a release date of August 22nd though that may mean a week or two later for the UK. Also cover art (I think?!) is up! (CLICK)

Post #: 1665
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 15/8/2012 11:59:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Thanks for that mate! Not too long to go now (hopefully!). If that is the finished cover for the first volume, it looks pretty amazing!

Post #: 1666
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 16/8/2012 9:55:11 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Predictably amazing, The Will is a brilliant character and the arc wrap up is done really well, I'm loving the rocket ship especially. This is definitely the best looking (and just best overall) monthly on the stands by a mile. Only Yanick Paquette's art on Swamp Thing comes close to matching the vibrancy of Fiona Staples work here.

There's a two month wait till issue 7 though

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1667
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 16/8/2012 9:19:08 PM   
sanchia

A bit difficult to post a picture as it is not yet written or drawn but I have just become an investor in a creator owned comic by Gail Simone.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1668
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 17/8/2012 9:30:31 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: steflon

....was not expecting that, book two is already in the post!

It's great isn't it? I wasn't sure what to expect but once I picked it up I couldn't put it down! Can't wait to read Volume 2.

Morning Glories is very good. Not a huge fan of the interior art however. Sometimes it works for me and other times I think I hate it!

I think this is the very definition of crack writing - I'm not sure how good it is but I read through the first 3 volumes in no time at all and I've added the comic to my order (it'll probably be replacing Walking dead if the next couple don't improve)

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 1669
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 17/8/2012 7:39:50 PM   
Vadersville

Shame the cover was the best thing about this issue. It's really just filler. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad issue. This one-off story goes back to Issue 1 and explains the backstory behind Harper, the mysterious girl we last saw in Batman #7 reviving old Batsy with a pair of jump leads. And it's not a bad stroy, it's just okay. Reminds me a lot of the Doctor-lite episodes from Doctor Who as in we're seeing the story from an outsider's view, with Batman making sporadic, often brief appearances throughout. Capullo takes an issue off here and that's okay, his replacement's more cartoony style actually complements the story and our different protagonist. But just as we near the last few pages and the final action piece the issue has been building too, the artwork suddenly changes. A closer examination of the front page reveals that this is indeed a different artist. Why change the artist mid issue? Mid story? I can only assume that it's because this is where normally the back-up story feature they introduced a few issues ago would have started and for some reason DC, in their infinite wisdom, decided to carry on with a different artist even though the story is the same one as the rest of the comic. Heck, Harper's speech starts in a splash panel with one artists and then finishes on a page with a different artist. This is really jarring, especially when Cloonan and Clarke have two completley different styles. Plus wheras Cloonan's cartoon-esque style compliments Harper's character and her story, Clarke's is way too busy and overdetailed. Like I said, not a bad issue but not a great one and that cover deserves a great comic!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1670
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 17/8/2012 7:48:04 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I quite enjoyed the issue. It did feel a bit like it was treading water, probably because they didn't want to start a new arc due to the issue 0 business next month, but I thought it was good fun. I agree with you about the jarring change of artist though, it didn't do the issue any favours.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 17/8/2012 7:54:15 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1671
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 17/8/2012 8:19:56 PM   
furrybastard

I really liked both artists but their styles were very jarring. Apparently the Andy Clarke pages were the backup story so the last page of Cloonan's art was the end of that story proper (despite the fact that it continues directly on!?)

I liked the issue a lot after being disappointed by the final issue of Night of the Owls. As Harry says, it was a nice breather and sets up some future storylines. I'll be interested in seeing what happens in the #0 issue since, you know, everything is mostly still in continuity...

Post #: 1672
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 19/8/2012 10:32:09 AM   
Chojin

gap filler, just three more issues and I have the full 1-150 volume 1 run.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1673
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 21/8/2012 7:45:40 PM   
ChickMagnet

< Message edited by ChickMagnet -- 21/8/2012 7:47:24 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1674
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 25/8/2012 9:39:29 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Got Swamp Thing 12 as it crossed over from Animal Man 12 not bad.
Still unsure weather to continue with 13 though as even though the story seems to be ongoing the 2 comics seem to be going of in different storylines?

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 1675
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 25/8/2012 9:47:54 AM   
Vadersville

Only read one issue so far but one thing that really pisses me off is no only have they changed the DC logo mid reprinting this series so that the spine looks odd next to volumes 1 & 2 but its actually a smaller size. Visibly different in size to the other two! Wankers. Looking forward to reading it though, really enjoyed the first two new editions.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 1676
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 26/8/2012 5:13:06 PM   
ChickMagnet

Post #: 1677
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 26/8/2012 9:39:13 PM   
Vadersville

wrong place. ignore this post

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 26/8/2012 9:40:31 PM >

Post #: 1678
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 28/8/2012 12:48:25 PM   
Nexus Wookie

AKIRA VOL 4.

This is the biggest volume yet, not too long to go until I have the whole lot!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 28/8/2012 9:54:30 PM >

Post #: 1679
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought - 29/8/2012 9:39:18 AM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Oh God, what the fuck is this?!  Now I have to go get mind-wiped again.

Post #: 1680
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI