Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/7/2012 10:29:07 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I am absolutely loving the current Uncanny X-Force's Final Execution arc. It's pretty much a continuation of the Dark Angel saga (which I also thought was brilliant) and for my money, alongside Wolverine & the X-Men, it's the best thing Marvel are producing at the moment. They're certainly the best X titles currently being produced.

The way things have been building up to this has been deftly done by Remender (and to an extent Jason Aaron in Wolverine...) continuing with the Apocalypse plot introduced in the Dark Angel Saga while introducing a new, darker Brotherhood of Mutants, each of which have an axe to grind with X-Force. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. After this issue it genuinely seems that anything goes.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1591
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/7/2012 5:55:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

Just read issue 100 of The Walking Dead... brutal.

I liked it... but I really wish Kirkman had given us a bit more ambition. This is being touted as perhaps the best selling comic of 2012 and I think Kirkman, while giving us a decent issue, could have used this opportunity to really sell the series a bit better. While some of the events were executed well, particularly the obvious one, it kind of felt like more of the same really.

I'm actually getting bored of it to be honest. I know people die in real life but Kirkman is just doing this to shock now and it's getting a bit tedious. For me, anyway. I'm going to give it a rest for a while, I got to 100, that's actually good for me, but I'll leave it for a few months and read a lot in one go. Maybe.

Also, I'm glad the comic is not in colour

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 1592
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/7/2012 5:57:07 PM   
Chojin

....free from work

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1593
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/7/2012 6:31:37 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

Just read issue 100 of The Walking Dead... brutal.

I liked it... but I really wish Kirkman had given us a bit more ambition. This is being touted as perhaps the best selling comic of 2012 and I think Kirkman, while giving us a decent issue, could have used this opportunity to really sell the series a bit better. While some of the events were executed well, particularly the obvious one, it kind of felt like more of the same really.

I'm actually getting bored of it to be honest. I know people die in real life but Kirkman is just doing this to shock now and it's getting a bit tedious. For me, anyway. I'm going to give it a rest for a while, I got to 100, that's actually good for me, but I'll leave it for a few months and read a lot in one go. Maybe.

Also, I'm glad the comic is not in colour

I'm not reading I'm not reading.

Well, I'm really not reading - comic still hasn't arrived. I just clicked a button so I don't know which of the gazillion covers I'll get.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 1594
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/7/2012 11:41:30 PM   
juanvasquez

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1595
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 14/7/2012 3:22:26 PM   
Vadersville

Great comic but as the finale to the whole Court of Owls arc I can't help but feel a little underwelmed....

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 1596
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/7/2012 4:57:03 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Apologies for the really naive question, and I hope it's not out of place here. But I'd like to read some Hulk comics. Where should I start? I'm wanting to read on my iPad if that is a factor. Thanks

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1597
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/7/2012 5:12:28 PM   
Chojin

just a few gaps being filled:

never owned the original series except for Issue 3, so i've grabbed the TPB.

needed this to complete the series

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1598
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/7/2012 6:14:39 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Apologies for the really naive question, and I hope it's not out of place here. But I'd like to read some Hulk comics. Where should I start? I'm wanting to read on my iPad if that is a factor. Thanks

A good place to start is Planet hulk (which is the best story of recent years). World War Hulk not so good and when the whole Red Hulk rubbish starts run away screaming before you need to gouge out your eyes.

Older stories you can't really go wrong with the Peter David run from the mid eighties.

The Stan Lee stories themselves are like many of his pretty awful and samesy (he is a legend but his legend does not really stand up).

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1599
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/7/2012 6:37:36 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

A good place to start is Planet hulk (which is the best story of recent years). World War Hulk not so good and when the whole Red Hulk rubbish starts run away screaming before you need to gouge out your eyes.

Older stories you can't really go wrong with the Peter David run from the mid eighties.

The Stan Lee stories themselves are like many of his pretty awful and samesy (he is a legend but his legend does not really stand up).

I have to agree with Sanchia, Planet Hulk is HOT!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1600
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/7/2012 11:48:46 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

Banner by Brian Azzarello and Richard Corben is also very good! A handy standalone story, collecting in a trade.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1601
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 16/7/2012 10:18:43 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

quote:

Banner by Brian Azzarello and Richard Corben is also very good! A handy standalone story, collecting in a trade.

Thanks all. I got Planet Hulk and am enjoying that. Would like to go back to some of the older stuff then.

Post #: 1602
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 16/7/2012 5:02:16 PM   
Vadersville

Has no one else read Batman #11 yet?

Post #: 1603
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/7/2012 1:12:31 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Has no one else read Batman #11 yet?

I read it, thought it was pretty underwhelming too. Even Capullo's art seemed a little rushed at times (twelve issues in a row though and without a phalanx of inkers so it's still impressive!) Snyder backtracked on the 'twist' very quickly and the whole fight scene with the bad guy explaining everything was rather tiring and silly.

I did really like the concept and look of the Owls though. Hopefully it will offer up a lot of new storyline ideas for the comic. Overall it ended with a bit of a whimper really.

Post #: 1604
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/7/2012 4:34:16 PM   
Vadersville

Yeah, it was very dialogue heavy and I also found the fight to be a bit lacking. The fight with the Talon in the maze was so much better. Also, considering the (beautiful) cover shows Batman risisng from the flames like a phoneix and Snyder has said that this whole arc was meant to tear Batman down for him to rise higher than ever, in this issue he's well just a bit crap. I mean kudos for old batsy for clinging onto a jet engine and not getting scuked in (even more kudos for hearing March's rambling speech over the sound of said engine) but he just got his arse handed to him, again! Only this time it flet flat and emotionless and I just kinda groaned and said to myself "Come on, get up off your arse!" The way in which Batman did defeat March was also very uninspired. The bat bomb came out of nowhere and the eye gouging thing just made me ask, "Why didn't he do that before?" I was waiting for something ingenius that would tie back to the first issue! perhaps my expectations were too high but i agree, this went out with more of a fizzle than a bang. And whilst i know the Court will no doubt be back again eventually I kinda wish they had featured more in the last few issues rather than being dropped in favor of the new Owlman. We still don't really know what their plan was! That said, I loved the scene between Bruce and Grayson at the end.

Post #: 1605
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/7/2012 5:39:41 PM   
Chojin

I might post a picture once they arrive - I've purchased 71 issues of Astonishing Spiderman for 35 on Ebay :)

not bad and will get me a bit more educated on spidey. I already have a 3-4 year run of the title but this will fill a lot of gaps.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1606
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/7/2012 6:01:31 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Yeah, it was very dialogue heavy and I also found the fight to be a bit lacking. The fight with the Talon in the maze was so much better. Also, considering the (beautiful) cover shows Batman risisng from the flames like a phoneix and Snyder has said that this whole arc was meant to tear Batman down for him to rise higher than ever, in this issue he's well just a bit crap. I mean kudos for old batsy for clinging onto a jet engine and not getting scuked in (even more kudos for hearing March's rambling speech over the sound of said engine) but he just got his arse handed to him, again! Only this time it flet flat and emotionless and I just kinda groaned and said to myself "Come on, get up off your arse!" The way in which Batman did defeat March was also very uninspired. The bat bomb came out of nowhere and the eye gouging thing just made me ask, "Why didn't he do that before?" I was waiting for something ingenius that would tie back to the first issue! perhaps my expectations were too high but i agree, this went out with more of a fizzle than a bang. And whilst i know the Court will no doubt be back again eventually I kinda wish they had featured more in the last few issues rather than being dropped in favor of the new Owlman. We still don't really know what their plan was! That said, I loved the scene between Bruce and Grayson at the end.

That part actually really bothered me! I mean, they'd have to be travelling incredibly quick to keep up with the plane (while fighting!) and as you say, Batman somehow not getting sucked in seemed a little... unlikely. I mean, his cape would pull him into the engine if nothing else. Have these guys not seen The Incredibles!?

I didn't read much of the crossover stuff other than Batman & Robin (a title which I'm kind of enjoying a little more than Batman!) so not sure how the whole crossover worked in general. It seemed to be fairly tight and contained and I liked that you didn't need to follow every title to understand what was going on.

Post #: 1607
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 18/7/2012 1:06:33 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just had this delivered. I have to say that Amazon (where I ordered it from) have a very fast delivery service, hence me ordering from them. But the downside is that nearly 2 out of 5 times the condition of the book has been very poor. This copy had a small dent on the top right corner and it REALLY PISSED ME OFF! I know it may be a trivial matter to some, but I like my purchases to be in top condition - you can argue its one of the cons of having it delivered by post - but i've never had any orders from The Book Depository arrive in poor condition (save only one time out of the dozens of time i've ordered from them).

So I know the Book Depository take their sweet time delivering good's, but I think i'll stick with them for the time being!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 18/7/2012 1:08:59 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 1608
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 18/7/2012 2:17:54 PM   
Rob

Just ordered Batman Earth One so hopefully that will be here in the next few days.

I liked Batman 11 but again felt it probably wasn't as strong an ending as I wanted. I love the Court of Owls as a concept but the whole Lincoln March "reveal" was a but too similar too Batman RIP and Doctor Hurt. However, all in all I've loved Synder and Capullo on the book and can't wait to see what they do with the Death of the Family arc

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1609
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 3:25:21 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Just ordered Batman Earth One so hopefully that will be here in the next few days.

I liked Batman 11 but again felt it probably wasn't as strong an ending as I wanted. I love the Court of Owls as a concept but the whole Lincoln March "reveal" was a but too similar too Batman RIP and Doctor Hurt. However, all in all I've loved Synder and Capullo on the book and can't wait to see what they do with the Death of the Family arc

wait...what???

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1610
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 5:56:10 PM   
Harry Tuttle

This series is probably the best thing I've read so far this year. The setup is great, the plot is interesting, fun and thought provoking, the writing is brilliant and the art by Fiona Staples is gloriously vibrant. The only negative is that after devouring each issue I have to wait a month for the next one.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/7/2012 5:57:38 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 1611
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 6:05:30 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

This series is probably the best thing I've read so far this year. The setup is great, the plot is interesting, fun and thought provoking, the writing is brilliant and the art by Fiona Staples is gloriously vibrant. The only negative is that after devouring each issue I have to wait a month for the next one.

It also has some of the best covers I've seen in a long time! Fantastic series. The first trade should do gangbusters.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1612
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 6:15:44 PM   
sanchia

I am really enjoying it.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1613
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 6:16:30 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

It also has some of the best covers I've seen in a long time! Fantastic series. The first trade should do gangbusters.

Agreed on both counts. With Marvel putting all their eggs into an AvX shaped basket, to varying degrees of success, it's nice to know that I have one comic each month that's all but guaranteed to be brilliant.

The Will is already one of my favourite characters.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/7/2012 6:21:00 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1614
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 6:20:44 PM   
furrybastard

Chew: Volumes 1 to 3 by John Layman and Rob Guillory

Gravel Vol 1: Bloody Liars by Warren Ellis, Mike Wolfer & Oscar Jimenez

Alec: The King Canute Crowd by Eddie Campbell Lost Dogs by Jeff Lemire

Mercy by JM DeMatteis and Paul Johnson

Lazarus Churchyard: The Final Cut by Warren Ellis and D'Israeli

Elephantmen Vol. 1: Wounded Animals by Richard Starkings

Post #: 1615
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 6:34:25 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've also got the following to get through. I won't get a chance till the weekend though.

I'm going to have to drop at least a couple of these unfortunately, I'm spending far too much money on comics at the moment. X-O Manowar is probably safe, as is Epic Kill.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1616
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 9:34:44 PM   
furrybastard

I must say I've been pretty disappointed with The Massive. Read the first two issues and didn't think much of them. (Also one or two of your pics ain't working, Harry!)

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1617
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 19/7/2012 10:54:12 PM   
Harry Tuttle

How odd, they're showing up fine on my desktop computer but not on my phone. The 2 missing pics are Harbinger #2 and X-O Manowar #3.

The Massive is pretty much first up for the chop for me to be honest. It looks great but I wouldn't be able to tell you what happened in the first issue as I don't remember it. At all. I think Harbinger will be the other one I drop, not because it's poor but because the others are better. Epic Kill and X-O I'm finding very enjoyable and Mind The Gap has a slightly more interesting premise so I reckon those are the three I'll keep buying.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/7/2012 10:55:04 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1618
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 20/7/2012 10:33:16 AM   
Rob

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

wait...what???

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/greg-capullo-joker-batman-death-of-the-family.html

It's the new arc starting in October featuring the return of the Joker.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 1619
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 20/7/2012 7:08:31 PM   
Chojin

my delivery of 71 issues of astonishing spiderman arrived.....I just need 22 issues to have a complete 150 issue set of every issue of the first volume of re-prints.

I'm going to struggle to get another 71 for 50p each though!

Ordered this to fill a gap:

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI